PDA

View Full Version : wtf? I mean, W.T.F!? Since when do we need a new state song?

TUSooner
1/16/2007, 09:40 AM
What did I miss? Pardon me if I'm like a year behind the times, but...

One of my Okie cousins just sent me an email with a nice power-point type dealio introducing the "new" state song, "Oklahoma Rising."
Crap! As songs in general go, it's definitely "meh." As a "state song" it's CRAP. The words are fine, but other than that, it's a dull, plodding, moaning, dirge.
I realize we don't actually sing the one and only forever real state song "Oklahoma" [ EDIT - as ofetn as we should], but we COULD if we wanted to. And we'd be happy if we did.
Who except a country crooner could sing "Oklahoma Rising"??
We already have the best state song evar, so do we really need this piece of nothingness that's no different from about a zillion other lifeless country ballads that are already out there?

I'm disturbed. This is not a good start to the day.

Okla-homey
1/16/2007, 09:42 AM
Relax!

It's not a new state song. That title is safely retained by Messrs. Rodgers & Hammerstein's magnum opus. "Oklahoma Rising" is the centennial anthem.

TUSooner
1/16/2007, 09:48 AM
Relax!

It's not a new state song. That title is safely retained by Messrs. Rodgers & Hammerstein's magnum opus. "Oklahoma Rising" is the centennial anthem.
Whew!! Thanks, Homey. I can run my suicide note through the shredder.

It's still kinda lame, though.

OklahomaTuba
1/16/2007, 10:03 AM
Yes, it is lame.

The state song should be Boomer Sooner, or at least OK Oklahoma, dammit.

Frozen Sooner
1/16/2007, 10:58 AM
Who doesn't sing "Oklahoma?"

I do. Heck, I know the words to that better than I do "Alaska's Flag," which surely qualifies as the worst state song of all time.

royalfan5
1/16/2007, 11:04 AM
This is what they are trying to change the Nebraska state song to.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=P7bzaD6G4vE

Believe me you don't have it that bad. I think that for every dumb idea the Unicameral has like this they should lose one day off their session.

OklahomaTuba
1/16/2007, 01:51 PM
i just wish Oklahoma would change the stinking flag.

How retarded is it that our flag actually has to have our state name on it? And WTF is it to begin with, a bowling ball and dream catcher??? ;)

Dio
1/16/2007, 02:09 PM
i just wish Oklahoma would change the stinking flag.

How retarded is it that our flag actually has to have our state name on it? And WTF is it to begin with, a bowling ball and dream catcher??? ;)

Word. I think it's a shield and a bong, though.

Original Flag > Current Flag

BajaOklahoma
1/16/2007, 06:21 PM
There used to be an Oklahoma song with the wind in the background. I thought that I had a copy of it, but I don't.

BTW, 25 years is not kind to tapes. At all.