PDA

View Full Version : The U.K.anians are nuts

Jerk
1/16/2007, 07:42 AM
They've totally lost it. I hope we're stringing people up on lightposts before it gets this bad. Seriously, if this is where we are heading, I prefer civil war II. Now, you say, "come on, Jerk! Who do you want to hang?" Anyone who advocates 'fining and jailing people for reving their engine in a racists manner.'

A motorist in Scotland, UK is fined $238 and sent to jail for two days for the crime of revving his Lotus Esprit in a racist manner.

Scottish motorist Ronnie Hutton, 49, was jailed for two days for the crime of "revving his car in a racist manner" last September. After waiting more than a year to try the case, the Stirling Sheriff court finally convicted Hutton last week of breach of the peace and fined him £150 (US $282).

An off duty officer, Chief Inspector Eoin Jenkins, said Hutton had revved the engine of his Lotus Esprit near two Muslims last year. After Hutton dismissed Jenkins' concern with an expletive, Jenkins immediately dispatched two police officers to Hutton's home where he was taken and thrown in jail for two days without formal charges. Hutton explained that his revving had nothing to do with nearby pedestrians, rather, he was keeping his temperamental and expensive V8 engine from stalling and being damaged.

"To be convicted for revving my car in a busy street is hard to take," Hutton told the Sunday Mail newspaper. "Does this mean anyone driving a noisy car in Scotland is now a criminal?"

Asked in court why the man may have revved his engine, Hana Saad, 23, said through an interpreter, "Maybe because we are Muslim."

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/13/1347.asp

Jerk
1/16/2007, 08:02 AM
Okay, evidently, the racist angle is just something thrown in there, because what I read is that the local Chief of Po Po was there and told him to knock it off, to which the driver replied "f*ck off." But in his accent, it probably sounded more like "fook arf!"

sooner_born_1960
1/16/2007, 08:06 AM
Which was "breach of peace", revving the motor or telling the cop to f*ck off"?

Jerk
1/16/2007, 08:15 AM
Which was "breach of peace", revving the motor or telling the cop to f*ck off"?

I think officially it's the engine, unofficially it's the "Fook off yuu bloody arse!"

Widescreen
1/16/2007, 08:47 AM
I'm regularly accused of taking a dump in a racist manner. But this is the land of the free and the home of the brave so I can take a dump any way I want. :mad:

Okieflyer
1/16/2007, 09:57 AM
Well, it does sound like it's a "hate" crime.

Really he got off light.

Ash
1/16/2007, 10:45 AM
heh. basing righteous indignation on Scottish tabloids is just funny.

check the source of the story. I'm surprised it didn't involve aliens or Elvis.

;)

C&CDean
1/16/2007, 11:30 AM
Dude should be jailed for driving a POS car.

OzarkSooner
1/16/2007, 12:32 PM
Sounds like it has the makings of a Monty Python episode...."I rev my engine in your general direction...!"

Dio
1/16/2007, 03:16 PM
heh. basing righteous indignation on Scottish tabloids is just funny.

check the source of the story. I'm surprised it didn't involve aliens or Elvis.

;)

Well, it is the eighth most widely read paper in the world.