View Full Version : OU Hockey - Sooners Weekly 1/15/07

Chris Perry
1/15/2007, 03:19 PM
*** FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE ***

SOONERS WEEKLY
For the Week of January 15, 2007

NO. 3 SOONERS SPLIT WITH WEBER STATE
OKLAHOMA OFF UNTIL JAN. 26th AT IOWA STATE

THIS WEEK’S GAMES - The University of Oklahoma® hockey club (23-3-0) does not play this week. They return to action on January 26th & 27th when they travel to Iowa to face the No. 6-ranked Iowa State Cyclones in a pair of games. The game against the Cyclones on Friday, January 26th will be played in Ames, Iowa at the ISU/Ames Ice Arena at 7:30 PM. The Oklahoma/Iowa State game on Saturday, January 27th will be played at the Well Fargo Arena in Des Moines, Iowa at 3:30 PM. The Saturday game will be followed by a game between the Iowa Stars (the AHL affiliate of the NHL Dallas Stars) and the Chicago Wolves (NHL Atlanta Thrashers affiliate) at 7:30 PM.

LAST WEEK’S OU HOCKEY GAMES – Oklahoma hosted Weber State (6-15-0) this past weekend in Oklahoma City. After traveling through the ice storm to get to Oklahoma City, Weber State literally got off the bus and onto the ice Friday night and took an early 2-0 lead over the Sooners. OU fought back to tie the game 3-3 at the end of two periods but Weber State scored just seconds into the third period and added an empty netter to beat Oklahoma 5-3. The next afternoon, OU jumped out to an early 1-0 lead but Weber State scored three goals midway through the second period to go up 3-1. Oklahoma fought back to tie the game 3-3 at the end of two periods and it looked like the game may be a repeat of the night before. However, OU scored a power play goal in the third period and added an empty net goal to beat Weber State 5-3 and earn the series split.

RANKINGS – The Sooners are currently ranked 3rd in the most recent ACHA Coaches Division 1 ranking. The next ACHA D1 ranking is scheduled to be released this Friday.

OU HOCKEY’S INTERNATIONAL FORCE – Senior defenseman Danny Force is one of 22 players selected for the 2007 United States University Select Team roster which will compete at the Winter World University Games, to be held Jan. 17-27, 2007 in Torino, Italy. Force, a 6’0”, 215 lb. broadcasting major from Southlake, Texas has 10 goals and 6 assists in 20 games for the Sooners so far this season. The 2007 U.S. University Select Team is coached by Chad Cassel, head coach of The University of Illinois hockey club and will play Canada, Slovakia, Russia and Korea in round robin group play in Torino prior to the elimination round of the Winter World University Games. Force missed the games against Weber State and will miss the upcoming series against Iowa State as a result of his selection.

PRACTICE SCHEDULE – The Sooners practice this week at the Blazers Ice Centre on Monday and Wednesday from 4:30-6:00 P.M. and Tuesday from 8:45-10:30 P.M.

### BOOMER SOONER! ###
MEDIA CONTACT:
Chris Perry, General Manager
University of Oklahoma® Hockey
Phone: (405) 631-2709 / Cell: (405) 488-4048
Email: [email protected] / Fax: (405) 631-3303
www.icehockey.ou.edu / www.ouhockey.com

setem
1/15/2007, 11:48 PM
Can I ask a question?

I am not a big hockey fan. I have made it to a couple blazers games over the years. I stick to football, basketball and baseball when it comes to attending sporting events. Do they fight in college hockey? I went to a blazers game a couple weeks ago and there were 3 fights going on at the same time. It was entertaining and all but kinda crazy. What is the deal?

Chris Perry
1/17/2007, 01:39 AM
Can I ask a question?

I am not a big hockey fan. I have made it to a couple blazers games over the years. I stick to football, basketball and baseball when it comes to attending sporting events. Do they fight in college hockey? I went to a blazers game a couple weeks ago and there were 3 fights going on at the same time. It was entertaining and all but kinda crazy. What is the deal?

setem,

Kids can fight in college hockey but the penalties are much more severe than in pro ranks - in the pros, you get 5 minutes for fighting - they might get more if they instigate the fight but generally all they get is 5 minutes in the sin bin - the lower you go in the pro ranks, the more common the fighting IMO so there's more fighting in the Central League where OKC plays than you find in the NHL simply due to the vast difference in levels of skill

In college, if you fight you get the 5 minutes plus a game disqualification penalty which means you have to sit out the next game - and the game dqs accumulate, meaning you get 2 in a season, you sit out the next two games, get a third, you have to sit out the next three and so on - the extra punishment is there to keep the kids from getting hurt - so yeah they can fight but it's not worth it most of the time due to the severity of the consequences

Come check us out - I think we're every bit as exciting as the pro game and much more exciting that the local minor pro game - so swing on by for a game in February before the season ends

Chris Perry
[email protected]

setem
1/18/2007, 01:53 AM
oops

setem
1/18/2007, 01:55 AM
Thank you for the info! I plan on taking the nephew to a game or two this year, so we will def check you guys out.

Thanks again