PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Ryan Broyles.

The Consumate Showman
1/15/2007, 02:54 PM
In case you haven't heard, Ryan Broyles committed to LosuR last night only to get a call from Cale later to give Ryan the offer he has so coveted for so long.

Now, you can look at this in a lot of ways. Personally, I've seen Ryan play and I think he is a playmaker. Having said that, there are a lot of people or so called "experts" that question where Ryan would fit in on OU's team. Here's my take:

Put him with caocch Schmitty for a red shirt season and bulk him up and we could be looking at a talented FS or slot reciever/KR, PR. It looks to me like the OU staff dropped the ball immensely on this and I can only hope that Ryan's love for OU and his connection to Mossis Madu will supercede his committment to LosuR.

OSUAggie
1/15/2007, 02:59 PM
It'll be interesting to see where he ends up. I'm sure he'll get a lot of pressure at school.

Newbomb Turk
1/15/2007, 03:06 PM
It looks to me like the OU staff dropped the ball immensely on this

that's what I think.

NorthernIowaSooner
1/15/2007, 03:53 PM
i also think they dropped the ball and wonder why they waited till he committed elsewhere to offer him a scholarship. keeping good talent in state should be a priority and losing out on jones and romine hurt but broyles plays in OU's backyard and they let him get away. and with the need for DBs i wonder why he wasnt higher up on their list when hes so close and talented.

soonerboy_odanorth
1/15/2007, 05:12 PM
I'm no recruitnik... You guys certainly are more in tune and know better what's going on.

But I have a hard time accepting that the staff "dropped the ball" on any kid, especially one so close at hand.

I would tend to think rather that they had other kids they were waiting to hear from, including the JUCO kid (McKenzie?), and didn't want to get in a position of over-extending with as few scholies as we have to give this year.

That is to say they probably were focusing on other kids that they perhaps felt were more developed, but those have started to fall through helping this kid "move up the board" (to use NFL draft-speak).

I believe you guys when you say he looks like a real-deal playmaker. But then, so did Jason Carter coming out. And that's no knock on Jason... great special teamer, but I think we all (incl. coaches) would have thought he was going to be a bigger contributor coming out of HS. So I just don't think we should get too wrapped up in "letting one slip right out from under our noses."

Then again, there's J.D. Runnels.... so I do see both sides of it.

The Consumate Showman
1/15/2007, 06:16 PM
Here's a quick prospective, too.

THey offered Ryan because Cale found out that AD was going pro??? Possibly???

KingDavid
1/15/2007, 07:03 PM
Here's a quick prospective, too.

THey offered Ryan because Cale found out that AD was going pro??? Possibly???

Hard to imagine how AD's decision would affect the depth chart for Broyles. The only position AD played where Broyles could log minutes is as KR.

My first thought was that it was a chess move to keep Broyles off the roster of the Aggies. My second thought is that there must be doubt if Malcolm Williams is really going to make it. My third thought is that we need more competition at the slot receiver position. My fourth thought is that I have far too many thoughts on this subject. My fifth thought is to stop . . .

landrun
1/15/2007, 07:12 PM
AD's leaving frees us up a scholarship that we really didn't have to offer until today.

Rhino
1/15/2007, 07:15 PM
Hard to imagine how AD's decision would affect the depth chart for Broyles. The only position AD played where Broyles could log minutes is as KR. He's probably talking in regards to # of schollies available.

But in regards to positions, maybe having a Broyles on the defensive side helps with depth in the secondary so Madu & Murray are given ample opportunity on the offensive side of the ball.

KingDavid
1/15/2007, 07:24 PM
He's probably talking in regards to # of schollies available.

But in regards to positions, maybe having a Broyles on the defensive side helps with depth in the secondary so Madu & Murray are given ample opportunity on the offensive side of the ball.

that makes sense.

The Consumate Showman
1/15/2007, 11:31 PM
Well, from all indications, they are offering him as a WR. Now, that's not to say that they won't move him to FS if he gets on campus. We are the gold standard in doing that with players. However, I side more with mburton on his previous post. There are wayyyyyyy to many scenarios to go through at this point. They only thing to do now is to sit tight and wait. I know the aggots are freaking out about Ryan getting his OU offer...it's no secret, he is an OU fan and once said that Mossis Madu is like a brother to him. To further add to this, I have seen him decked out in OU apparel almost every time I've seen him after and before games and there is always that MOST POWERFUL point of persuasion...MOM. I'm sure she doesn't really want to drive to Stoolwater on $2.00 gas when she can ride a freakin' bike to Owen feild from her house.

OSUAggie
1/16/2007, 11:11 AM
FWIW, Gerald Jones was always in OSU gear... He's going to Tennessee (at least as of now). Gunter Brewer was in Norman yesterday visiting with Broyles' parents and then Ryan for a bit, and Ryan said he was "kinda shocked" about the OU offer, but he was "100% committed" to OSU. We'll see if that holds up. I think it's 50/50 at this point, mainly b/c he's always been an OU fan and OU is a much better program than OSU.

The things working for OSU are a better opportunity for PT and the fact that they've been recruiting him longer/harder. He said before Cale called him the other night, he hadn't really heard anything from the OU coaches since the summer...

fwsooner22
1/16/2007, 12:33 PM
FWIW, Gerald Jones was always in OSU gear... He's going to Tennessee (at least as of now). Gunter Brewer was in Norman yesterday visiting with Broyles' parents and then Ryan for a bit, and Ryan said he was "kinda shocked" about the OU offer, but he was "100% committed" to OSU. We'll see if that holds up. I think it's 50/50 at this point, mainly b/c he's always been an OU fan and OU is a much better program than OSU.

The things working for OSU are a better opportunity for PT and the fact that they've been recruiting him longer/harder. He said before Cale called him the other night, he hadn't really heard anything from the OU coaches since the summer...

It's the same scenario that has played out for 99% of all the kids who have had to make this decision for decades.

Go to Aggie and get playing time and at best be 7-4 or 7-5 or Go to OU compete against the best in the country, get better at being an athlete and at better at being an individual, compete for national championships, and above all be proud of the decision you made to COMPETE not settle.

To me it's not that hard a decision. To others they choose the easy way out. That's why Aggie is there.

boomersooner28
1/16/2007, 12:49 PM
It's the same scenario that has played out for 99% of all the kids who have had to make this decision for decades.

Go to Aggie and get playing time and at best be 7-4 or 7-5 or Go to OU compete against the best in the country, get better at being an athlete and at better at being an individual, compete for national championships, and above all be proud of the decision you made to COMPETE not settle.

To me it's not that hard a decision. To others they choose the easy way out. That's why Aggie is there.

Also, if you go to OU and don't make it to the league, you are still set up with a lot of great people/supporters that are willing to help you out when it comes time to get a real job. If you attend Stoolwater and don't make it to the league, you have to be a farmer the rest of your life. :D

The Consumate Showman
1/16/2007, 05:32 PM
Also, if you go to OU and don't make it to the league, you are still set up with a lot of great people/supporters that are willing to help you out when it comes time to get a real job. If you attend Stoolwater and don't make it to the league, you have to be a farmer the rest of your life. :D

Dead on!

Frozen Sooner
1/16/2007, 05:39 PM
Someone said earlier that Broyles did not, in fact, grow up an OU fan and is instead a Texas fan. Don't know how accurate that is.

Also, AD going pro is negated in scholarship numbers by the supposed soon-to-commit Lennon Creer.

The Consumate Showman
1/17/2007, 12:36 AM
Someone said earlier that Broyles did not, in fact, grow up an OU fan and is instead a Texas fan. Don't know how accurate that is.

Also, AD going pro is negated in scholarship numbers by the supposed soon-to-commit Lennon Creer.

The key word is highlighted. If Lennon was so strong to OU if AD went pro, why is he still not committed? I hope he does come to OU, but I think James-the-ex-con-Hale is making assumptions.

And I have heard that Ryan was interested in Saxet...but I'm told that he has always rooted for OU when it came down to the RRS and such.

boomersooner28
1/17/2007, 12:43 AM
Ah geez, get negspekked for the farming comment. Can people not take jokes???

Oh, and thanks for not signing wuss.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/17/2007, 11:53 AM
The key word is highlighted. If Lennon was so strong to OU if AD went pro, why is he still not committed? I hope he does come to OU, but I think James-the-ex-con-Hale is making assumptions.

And I have heard that Ryan was interested in Saxet...but I'm told that he has always rooted for OU when it came down to the RRS and such.

Wandering a little from the topic but what was Hale convicted of? I've seen and heard references to Hale in the past but have been by Poke fans. I honestly don't know. Can you enlighten me.

Desert Sapper
1/17/2007, 12:20 PM
The key word is highlighted. If Lennon was so strong to OU if AD went pro, why is he still not committed?

Could be because he wants the media highlight when he commits on signing day. Wouldn't be the first time.

Rhino
1/17/2007, 12:20 PM
Wandering a little from the topic but what was Hale convicted of? I've seen and heard references to Hale in the past but have been by Poke fans. I honestly don't know. Can you enlighten me. Tax evasion back in the 80s.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/17/2007, 01:59 PM
Tax evasion back in the 80s.

OK, thanks. I figured it was something along those lines. Not that it is a good thing but not exactly America's most wanted material.

At least it wasn't like Robert Allen who got busted for felonious :chicken: sucking with intent to swallow.

OSUAggie
1/17/2007, 04:09 PM
Tax evasion back in the 80s.

heh.. yeah, to put it light, tax evasion.

Tax evasion stemming from embezzlement and living 8 or 9 classes up from his (and his wife's) actual income for a bit.

The Consumate Showman
1/17/2007, 05:44 PM
Could be because he wants the media highlight when he commits on signing day. Wouldn't be the first time.

True...true.

The Consumate Showman
1/17/2007, 05:45 PM
heh.. yeah, to put it light, tax evasion.

Tax evasion stemming from embezzlement and living 8 or 9 classes up from his (and his wife's) actual income for a bit.

Aggie speaks the truth.

EnidHighSooner
10/19/2007, 04:16 PM
I have a couple of questions.

Will Ryan be back by next season?

I asked him on his myspace page and he said yea, but I don't know if thats really his myspace.

And is he practicing with the team??

Anyone know??

SOONER STEAKER
10/19/2007, 04:55 PM
Seems like James was embezzling money from a fast food restaurant. An Arby's or Hardees Restaurant I believe. Seems either James or his wife served some time but maybe it was both.

EnidHighSooner
10/19/2007, 05:22 PM
I have a couple of questions.

I asked him on his myspace page and he said yea, but I don't know if thats really his myspace.

Anyone know??

MojoRisen
10/19/2007, 05:29 PM
I hope he can come back and learn from his mistakes - can not do shiate in Norman with attention not being on you.... as a football player.

He messed up - hope he get's another shot on a short lease -

snp
10/26/2007, 09:22 PM

Anyone know??

Yes, yes and yes.