PDA

View Full Version : Peterson to Enter 2007 NFL Draft

soonerboy112
1/15/2007, 02:21 PM
according to front page of soonersports.com

mxATVracer10
1/15/2007, 02:22 PM
here's the link :( http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=300&ATCLID=747779

Mjcpr
1/15/2007, 02:23 PM
NORMAN, Okla. -- University of Oklahoma running back Adrian Peterson announced today that he will forgo his final season of college eligibility and make himself available for the 2007 NFL Draft.

“The last few days have been stressful,” Peterson said while describing his decision-making process. “I’ve been pondering a lot of things and looking at it from all the different angles, weighing the good and the bad.

“In the end, I think I just realized that this is a business decision and that it is time for me to take that next step. It wasn’t easy. I haven’t been sleeping much. I just put it all in God’s hands”

Peterson said he had valuable input from several people.

“I got opinions from people I value like my dad and my mother,” he said. “Coach Stoops gave me a lot of information that I needed. He presented both sides.”

Newbomb Turk
1/15/2007, 02:24 PM
good luck AD, and thanks for the memories.

soonerboy_odanorth
1/15/2007, 02:25 PM
Well done, young man. We appreciate everything you've done and hope you always carry that Sooner pride!

silversooner22
1/15/2007, 02:27 PM
You missed about 3/4 of the article

The lure of staying at Oklahoma was tied mainly to the relationships Peterson established with teammates, especially those in his recruiting class.

“I came in with all those guys and I think a lot about the relationships we’ve built and all the hard work we’ve put in together.”

Unrealized goals also were on Peterson’s mind.

“There were some things that we didn’t accomplish. I didn’t really do all of the things I set out to do. Those things, the guys and the love for college football were things I thought about.”

OU head coach Bob Stoops said he supported Peterson’s decision.

“I know this has been a trying time for him and he just needs to know that we support him whole-heartedly,” Stoops said.

“Adrian has been a great individual player and a great teammate. His leadership and work ethic sent a strong example, and he competed with everything he had. He has given us all a lot of great moments and has been fun to watch.

“Now, he feels it’s just time and we support that. We hope and believe that he’s going to be a high pick. We’re excited to watch him move on and we expect that he will have a great and long NFL career.”

Like Stoops, Peterson believes he can transition smoothly into professional football.

“Physically I feel like I am ready and the business aspect makes sense too,” he said. “There are a lot of people at Oklahoma I need to thank. I want to thank all of the people who supported me, including the fans. And I want to thanks the coaches, Coach Stoops and especially my position coach, Coach (Cale) Gundy.”

Peterson leaves Oklahoma as the third leading rusher in school history with 4,045 career yards. He eclipsed 1,000 yards in each of his three seasons in a Sooner uniform.

Some 29 Oklahoma players have been drafted since Stoops arrived prior to the 1999 season. Peterson is likely to extend an impressive streak that has seen at least one OU player go in the first round of the NFL draft in each of the last five years.

MyT Oklahoma
1/15/2007, 02:27 PM
I'm sorry to see him go but I'm glad he chose to be a Sooner. Best wishes always AD.

ouflak
1/15/2007, 02:28 PM
Well, that's that. Expected. I wish him a lot of success.

Duke o Brewery
1/15/2007, 02:28 PM
You're a good man, AD...and a Sooner Legend, one of the greatest.

Happy hunting. The NFL won't know what hit 'em.

Boomer.....
1/15/2007, 02:31 PM
Congrats, AD! He will do great in the NFL!

Wishboned
1/15/2007, 02:33 PM
I was hoping he'd stay but I was expecting him to leave.

I'm glad he chose OU, and I'm glad he turned out to be the fine young man that he was. His work ethic and attitude was/is something to marvel at.

I wish him the best in the pro's and I know he's going to be great because I feel that even though I know he gave it his all on every down we still never got to see everything that AD is capable of.

I'll be cheering for him next fall, no matter where he ends up.

sooner n houston
1/15/2007, 02:33 PM
It was the only logical decision, IMHO.

OKC-SLC
1/15/2007, 02:38 PM
The right decision. Hard to imagine how hard it must have been given all the goals he never got to realize. Hell, it's hard for me to imagine he didn't get a Heisman after his Freshman year. And too bad we didin't do a better job helping him get a NC.

But it was a business decision, and he's got to make sure he gets his.

GrapevineSooner
1/15/2007, 02:39 PM
Best of luck in the NFL, AD.

And thanks for the memories. You'll always be a Sooner.

OKLA21FAN
1/15/2007, 02:40 PM
Good Luck AD!

thanks for the memories

colleyvillesooner
1/15/2007, 02:41 PM
let the "we'll be better without him" crowd spew their bull****.

Thanks for the memories AD. I may never see another like you in my lifetime.

spatton713
1/15/2007, 02:42 PM
greatest player to put on the uniform
good luck AD

Texas Golfer
1/15/2007, 02:43 PM
Whereas I wouldn't make the same decision if I were in his shoes, I support it and him wholeheartedly.

BoomerSooner247
1/15/2007, 02:49 PM
Thanks For The Memories AD!!!

TripleOption14
1/15/2007, 03:14 PM
It is simply time to go. There was no need to put any more miles on his body w/o getting paid for it imo. Come on Cleveland give me something to do this summer!! :D It has been fun the last couple of years going to training camp and being able to talk to some of the former OU alum. Might as well keep it going. :D

badger
1/15/2007, 03:17 PM
http://www.normantranscript.com/localnews/local_story_015144324.html
Heard there will not be a press conference. Hope that's not true, because then AD and OU's inboxes would get flooded with questions.

cjames317
1/15/2007, 03:17 PM
Where can I find a photo or video of his last TD/carry as a Sooner?

springs sooner
1/15/2007, 03:20 PM
Thanks for being a SOONER AD and may god bless you in all your new adventures.

Desert Sapper
1/15/2007, 03:24 PM
God Bless, AD. I can't wait to see you tear up the NFL next fall!

OK2LA
1/15/2007, 03:28 PM
Is this the official Peterson to enter 2007 NFL draft thread?

Big Red Ron
1/15/2007, 03:32 PM
God's Speed Brutha!

Sco
1/15/2007, 03:33 PM
He's doing the right thing.

We'll be all right without him. I won't say better or worse, but we'll be okay.

Godspeed, AD. You rock.

Foty
1/15/2007, 03:43 PM
Thanks Adrian. I've witnessed your entire season from your first carry against Bowling Green to your last carry against Boise State. Thanks for all the great memories, I wish you the best of luck in the NFL.

BOOMER SOONER!!

starrca23
1/15/2007, 03:47 PM
Adrian Peterson will always be a Sooner.

josh09
1/15/2007, 03:49 PM
Thanks for so much, AD, sorry we couldnt get you a Heisman or NC!

OU-HSV
1/15/2007, 04:19 PM
The right decision. Hard to imagine how hard it must have been given all the goals he never got to realize. Hell, it's hard for me to imagine he didn't get a Heisman after his Freshman year. And too bad we didin't do a better job helping him get a NC.

Oh and he will get his and then some! Congrats to him and good luck to him, he'll give me another option in my fantasy football draft next Fall.:D

flopshotjoe99
1/15/2007, 04:22 PM
this was our first year as season ticket holders, glad we got to see him live, I wish him nothing but the best.:cool:

Reincarnate
1/15/2007, 04:28 PM
Mistake Mistake Mistake, he got some bad advice as far as I'm concerned. Good luck in the pros b/c your running style and undeveloped field vision will make for a short career.

Jason White's Third Knee
1/15/2007, 04:44 PM
You missed about 3/4 of the article

I thought you meant someone edited out all of the "you know"s.

Jason White's Third Knee
1/15/2007, 04:47 PM
Mistake Mistake Mistake, he got some bad advice as far as I'm concerned. Good luck in the pros b/c your running style and undeveloped field vision will make for a short career.

There are millions of reasons that prove this is the right move for him. Short career or not, his signing bonus alone should guarantee that he never has to work another day in his life... or his family for that matter.

SleestakSooner
1/15/2007, 04:47 PM

http://stfuanddie.com/gallery/d/158-2/stfu.jpg

SleestakSooner
1/15/2007, 04:49 PM
Thanks for all the great memories AD. Regardless of how long your pro career lasts or how well you do in it this was the right decision for you and your family. We true Sooner fans wish you and yours all the best!

BASSooner
1/15/2007, 05:00 PM
He'll work on all of that by the coaches in the NFL because he has the potential to be a better RB than he is now.

ashley
1/15/2007, 05:00 PM
I am glad you are not my GM.

Reincarnate
1/15/2007, 05:05 PM
He'll work on all of that by the coaches in the NFL because he has the potential to be a better RB than he is now.

He will have to, but his patience and looking for the cutback is poor. His pass receiving out of the backfield needs alot of work and so does his pass blocking, to be a complete back in the NFL you have to have these skills.

He could have worked on all these areas and taken out an insurance policy in case of injury....................won the heisman, maybe a national championship and been the #1 pick in next year's draft. So in that sense, it was a poor business decision on his part.

But this logic is hard for alot of young black athletes today, they would rather have a $1 today rather than $2 tomorrow.

SleestakSooner
1/15/2007, 05:11 PM
He will have to, but his patience and looking for the cutback is poor. His pass receiving out of the backfield needs alot of work and so does his pass blocking, to be a complete back in the NFL you have to have these skills.

He could have worked on all these areas and taken out an insurance policy in case of injury....................won the heisman, maybe a national championship and been the #1 pick in next year's draft. So in that sense, it was a poor business decision on his part.

But this logic is hard for alot of young black athletes today, they would rather have a $1 today rather than $2 tomorrow.

This comment is both ignorant and racist... WTG! You managed to out-do your own stupidity. And I thought it couldn't be possible. :rolleyes:

SleestakSooner
1/15/2007, 05:14 PM
People keep saying that all AD needed to do was take out an insurance policy. I am wondering what would the monthly or yearly payments be for a policy that would cover him for a potential multi-million dollar signing bonus? Also who is going to pay for this insurance? Brad McCray?

soonersweetie
1/15/2007, 05:55 PM
Sometimes people just amaze me. One of the finest young men to ever put on the Sooner uniform just announced he will forego his senior season to head to the NFL (undoubtedly a very tough decision to make) and some people have the audacity to criticize, ridicule and (in other posts on this board), make fun of him. Nice way to show your gratitude for all he has done and meant to OU.

Shaking my head, they obviously don't quite get what it means to be a Sooner. And if I have to explain it, then you never will.

washington's fave
1/15/2007, 06:00 PM
The other day a co-worker (who will remain nameless but just the same is a dumb***) said OU with AD was a lesser team than OU without AD!!! I was so flabberghast that It took me a second to respond! I said if AD had remained uninjured and gotten the same amount of carries (which except for the Big 12 Championshio game was more carries per game than AD has gotten all year) that Allen Patrick & Chris Brown did during those non-AD games, Do you think he would have been held for negative yards - you know what the BOZO w/an ***hat said - Well yeah I think AP and Chris Brown are much better backs than AD. I was so taken aback I didn't punch him in the nose when the IDIOT needed it!! He reminded me of Mushmouth from the old Fat Albert show when he started to explain why every running back in the WORLD was better than AD!!! What an airheaded bag of pi** with not one sense of football knowledge!!! Jebeezers!!!!

soonerrn
1/15/2007, 06:07 PM
I wish AD the best in his new endeavors. It is never an easy decision when it affects family members and the future. I hope he can get a good nights sleep!

Collier11
1/15/2007, 06:08 PM
Talk about wanting to puke, the two teams I do not want to see AD with are the Raiders(chiefs fan) and vikings(AD in purple, that must be against the law or something) so this mock draft by CFN makes me kinda nauseous

NFL Mock Draft - Jan. 15

By Pete Fiutak
CollegeFootballNews.com
Posted Jan 15, 2007

Let the speculation begin. With the underclassmen finally declaring their NFL intentions, the first round has gone from mediocre to average. Here's the first of several Mock Drafts to come over the next several months.

By Pete Fiutak

It might be silly to speculate so early, but it's still fun. There will be mock draft after mock draft until the April 29th weekend of joy, and this will change a bazillion times in a bazillion ways. The mock drafts will come in more detail after all the early entries are done and the Super Bowl has been played, but until then ...

1. Oakland Raiders - JaMarcus Russell, QB LSU
With his arm, Oakland will throw it deep every other play. He'll have to learn how to get rid of the ball in a hurry behind an awful offensive line.

2. Detroit Lions - Joe Thomas, OT Wisconsin
The Lion fans will want Brady Quinn, but the brass wants to build from the lines up.

3. Cleveland Browns (coin flip with Tampa Bay for the 3rd pick) - Brady Quinn, QB Notre Dame
The Browns need help on the lines, but they can't go another year with Charlie Frye or Derek Anderson under center. They need a player to build the franchise around.

3. Tampa Bay (coin flip with Cleveland for the 3rd pick) - Calvin Johnson, WR Georgia Tech
Merry Christmas. The passing game will suddenly be dangerous with the combination of C.J. and Joey Galloway.

5. Arizona Cardinals - Alan Branch, DT Michigan
While the offensive line needs an upgrade, Branch would be too good to pass up for Ken Whisenhunt's defense.

6. Washington Redskins - Gaines Adams, DE Clemson
If there's a top three-caliber pick with the pass rushing capabilities of Adams available at the six, you take him.

7. Minnesota Vikings. - Adrian Peterson, RB Oklahoma
The offense needs as many weapons as possible. While there's a glut of decent players in the Viking backfield, there's no superstar. Peterson is a superstar.

8. Houston Texans - Marshawn Lynch, RB California
Even though the actual running back in the Houston system is relatively insignificant, the Texans need a back they can rely on. This would come close to quieting everyone down after not taking Reggie Bush.

9. Miami Dolphins - Jamaal Anderson, DE Arkansas
Can you saw Defensive Rookie of the Year on the other side of Jason Taylor? While not a need pick, Anderson's too good to fall any further.

10. Atlanta Falcons - Leon Hall, CB Michigan
DeAngelo Hall is one of the NFL's premier corners. He could use some help on the other side.

11. San Francisco 49ers - Dwayne Jarrett, WR USC
The Niners got Alex Smith his safety valve last year in TE Vernon Davis. Now they need to give him another major weapon.

12. Buffalo Bills - Jeff Samardzija, WR Notre Dame
Obviously Samardzija's draft slot depends on his real interest in being a Chicago Cub, but if he decides to be a football player full-time, he couldl be a key number two target on the other side of Lee Evans.

13. St. Louis Rams - Amobi Okoye, DT Louisville
St. Louis needs to be more effective against the run, and while past tackles (cough, Jimmy Kennedy, cough) haven't played up to their draft status, Okoye has all the potential and talent to be a multi-year Pro Bowl performer.

14. Carolina Panthers - LaRon Landry, S LSU
The secondary did a good job last year, but it could use more big-play ability. Landry gives the Panthers some options.

15. Pittsburgh Steelers - Charles Johnson, DE Georgia
While this might be a bit high, Johnson, or Nebraska's Adam Carriker, would provide a nice boost to the pass rush.

16. Green Bay Packers - Robert Meachem, WR Green Bay
If you want No. 4 to come back for another interception-filled year, you need to give him playmakers to work with. Meachem would help create a heck of a corps combining with Donald Driver and Greg Jennings.

17. Jacksonville Jaguars - Sidney Rice, WR South Carolina
Reggie Williams, Ernest Wilford and Matt Jones all showed promise. Now the Jaguars needs a true number one receiver.

18. Cincinnati Bengals - Adam Carriker, DE Nebraska
The hope is for David Pollack to be 100%, but the Bengals have to make sure they have more pass rushers in the mix to beef up the defensive production.

19. Tennessee Titans - Tony Ugoh, OT Tennessee
If you have a transcendent superstar-in-the-making quarterback, you do whatever you can to protect him.

20. NY Giants - Quentin Moses, DE Georgia
How much does Michael Strahan have left in the tank? The Giants need more pass rushers in the rotation.

21. Denver Broncos - Darrelle Revis, CB Pitt
The saddest of need picks, the Broncos have to replace Darrent Williams.

22. Dallas Cowboys - Ted Ginn Jr., WR Ohio State
No way, no how Dallas is going to deal with Terrell Owens for yet another year. Even if he is back, Tony Romo needs young receivers to throw to.

23. Kansas City Chiefs - Levi Brown, OT Penn State
The Chiefs always build from the offensive line out. The 2006 line got by with smoke and mirrors.

24. NY Jets - DeMarcus Tyler, DT NC State
A top ten-caliber player, Tyler would do wonders to help bolster the run defense.

25. New England (from Seattle) - Lawrence Timmons, LB Florida State
The Patriots always go against conventional wisdom, and they're always right. Timmons is too good an athlete to fall any further.

26. Philadelphia Eagles - Jarvis Moss, DE Florida
While he's not Jevon Kearse, he'd make for a great understudy when his fellow Gator returns healthy.

27. Baltimore Ravens - LaMarr Woodley, DE/LB Michigan
Baltimore loves athletic, versatile tweeners. Woodley can fit at several different positions on the defensive front seven.

28. San Diego Chargers - Dwayne Bowe, WR LSU
San Diego must, must, must give Phil Rivers more players to work with. If Eric Parker and Keenan McCardell are the wide receiver answer, you don't want to hear the question.

29. New England Patriots* - Reggie Nelson, S Florida
Nelson's versatility and high character will be appealing.

30. New Orleans Saints* - Patrick Willis, LB Ole Miss
The Saint linebackers are fantastically mediocre. Willis would be an upgrade.

31. Indianapolis Colts* - Quinn Pitcock, DT Ohio State
Don't let the playoffs fool you; the Indy run defense still needs help. Pitcock, at the very least, would be a great run stuffer rotating with Corey Simon.

32. Chicago Bears* - Marshal Yanda, OT Iowa
While a linebacker would be nice if Lance Briggs goes elsewhere to get paid, Yanda might be a more pressing need for an aging offensive front.

*Depending on how the playoffs shake out

Vaevictis
1/15/2007, 06:10 PM

There is value in having that multi-million dollar signing bonus now, and some people recognize that after the first $5 million or so, the rest is just gravy.

I mean seriously, if you take a $5 million signing bonus, pay your taxes, and then put $2.5 million of the remainder in the bank, you're still probably drawing down $125k a year in interest for the rest of your life. And that assumes you just take the safe CD route.

You won't be filthy rich, but you're still in the top 1%.

You may not be a #1 draft pick, and you may cut your future earnings potential by a lot, but you also don't risk a catastrophic injury that keeps you from getting any money at all. And $125k/yr should be enough for anyone.

Stitch Face
1/15/2007, 06:37 PM
It sucks thinking about what could have been, but that's life in a nutshell...

I hope he somehow gets traded to the Bears and kicks a$s with the rest of the boys up at OU North.

blackbeauty02
1/15/2007, 06:45 PM
Rest in peace AD. You have given me a reason to start watching NFL

soonerboomer93
1/15/2007, 07:09 PM
Good luck to him and I hope he has great success in the NFL

jk the sooner fan
1/15/2007, 07:10 PM
I remember that first TD run into the north end zone against Bowling Green...what a warrior you have been

no matter what colors you wear in the NFL, i'll be a fan

thanks for the memories!

tommieharris91
1/15/2007, 07:13 PM
I hope he doesn't get drafted by the Vikings, Lions or Packers. I don't want him to be on a team I hate.

kevpks
1/15/2007, 07:20 PM
Think about all the endorsements Peterson will get in addition to his signing bonus. I guarantee that he will get a few major ones (a shoe company, EA Sports, etc.)

KingDavid
1/15/2007, 07:30 PM
AD tests so well, my bet is that his stock will rise and that he'll end up a top three (or five, on the outside) pick.

washington's fave
1/15/2007, 09:20 PM
Shawn "d*** in the mouth" told me AD was at best a second round draft pick because he was held to such a low yardage per carry in the Fiesta Bowl!! What a C***!!! When AD gets to carry the load in the NFL; d*** in the mouth will have to swallow hard and admit that his shallow mind and body has never played football let alone had a coaches thought about how FOOTBALL is really played!!! C*** MAN!!!

SleestakSooner
1/15/2007, 09:23 PM
Shawn "d*** in the mouth" told me AD was at best a second round draft pick because he was held to such a low yardage per carry in the Fiesta Bowl!! What a C***!!! When AD gets to carry the load in the NFL; d*** in the mouth will have to swallow hard and admit that his shallow mind and body has never played football let alone had a coaches thought about how FOOTBALL is really played!!! C*** MAN!!!

Does this mean you'll have to take him out to dinner and dancing?:rolleyes:

goingoneight
1/15/2007, 09:42 PM

And you guys negspek me???

sooneron
1/15/2007, 10:11 PM
Thanks for giving your all Adrian. We'll never forget you. I'm going to miss his runs in Crimson.

utex74
1/15/2007, 10:18 PM

I'll get blasted for this, but his main goal was a national championship, which is why he picked OU over Texas. Seemed sound at the time. Hind sight is 20/20, but if he had gone with Texas, with him and Vince in the same backfield, he might have two of those. (2004 and 2005) We all make choices of what road to take but it is intersting to ponder "what if". That said, I wish him the best in the NFL. He is a hell of a player and a great young man.

WASOONERFAN
1/15/2007, 10:20 PM
Good luck AD. You will be missed.

instigator
1/15/2007, 10:46 PM
Good luck to him!

I have some great memories thanks to him.

goingoneight
1/16/2007, 01:12 AM
We tried the what if theory about Oregon, then we got tatered...

swardboy
1/16/2007, 08:24 AM
Jiminy...seems like just yesterday AD was signing his letter of intent to come to OU.

Our recent stable of running back talent is probably in part due to AD...the best draws the best!

Reincarnate
1/16/2007, 08:50 AM
And you guys negspek me???
Negspek as you call it, is a honor on these boards. The regulars here throw it around like candy if you don't worship blindly to every move and decision by players and staff. In fact I would compare most of the posters on these board to Bush supporters who think any criticism or honest observations or reality is unpatriotic or traitorism.

jk the sooner fan
1/16/2007, 09:00 AM
the number of negs you get directly correlates to your own stupidity

Big Red Ron
1/16/2007, 09:44 AM
I'll get blasted for this, but his main goal was a national championship, which is why he picked OU over Texas. Seemed sound at the time. Hind sight is 20/20, but if he had gone with Texas, with him and Vince in the same backfield, he might have two of those. (2004 and 2005) We all make choices of what road to take but it is intersting to ponder "what if". That said, I wish him the best in the NFL. He is a hell of a player and a great young man.Why do you think more Texans have won national championships with OU than all teams in Texas combined. Now you have a guy (who didn't finish his eligibility) that would have won one with you guys, congrats.

See you guys there again in another 30+ years.

Big Red Ron
1/16/2007, 09:45 AM
Negspek as you call it, is a honor on these boards. The regulars here throw it around like candy if you don't worship blindly to every move and decision by players and staff. In fact I would compare most of the posters on these board to Bush supporters who think any criticism or honest observations or reality is unpatriotic or traitorism.You are a true moron.

Cheers

TheUnnamedSooner
1/16/2007, 09:56 AM
Sources close to AD have stated that the REAL reason he decided to go ahead and leave was because of the "no names on the jerseys" ;)

Desert Sapper
1/16/2007, 10:36 AM

There sure are a lot of maybes in there. He will be the #1 RB taken in the draft this year and will probably be a top 10 pick. I'm not sure he could be guaranteed of anything more than that by sticking around for another year.

Rondo
1/16/2007, 11:08 AM
He made the correct decision, good luck to him.

DenverSooner751
1/16/2007, 04:12 PM
I was holding my breath a little since it kind of came down to the last minute. However, I too think he made the right choice. Besides, it will still be the AP show. Just different guy.

stoopified
1/16/2007, 04:52 PM
Thanks and best wishes AD.

DBoomerSoonerGalAZ
1/16/2007, 07:43 PM
Well best wishes AD, @ least got to see you one last time in Crimson and Cream...BOOMER SOONER!!
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k304/asdzaanneez74/hunble.jpg

SleestakSooner
1/16/2007, 07:58 PM
Well best wishes AD, @ least got to see you one last time in Crimson and Cream...BOOMER SOONER!!
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k304/asdzaanneez74/hunble.jpg

Welcome to the board :) Great first post!

sooner94
1/16/2007, 09:41 PM
People keep saying that all AD needed to do was take out an insurance policy. I am wondering what would the monthly or yearly payments be for a policy that would cover him for a potential multi-million dollar signing bonus? Also who is going to pay for this insurance? Brad McCray?

Looks like the athlete can get a loan to cover the cost. See the link below. I always wondered how athletes could get the insurance.

http://www1.ncaa.org/membership/insurance/exceptional.html

Crimsontothecore
1/17/2007, 12:09 AM

So who exactly failed to get "him" a NC?? I didn't realize the teams goal was to win a NC for Adrian Peterson. Silly me, I was under the impression that EVERY member of the team was responsible for winning titles.

p.s. This team did win a conference title for "him" without his help.

OKC-SLC
1/17/2007, 12:11 AM
So who exactly failed to get "him" a NC?? I didn't realize the teams goal was to win a NC for Adrian Peterson. Silly me, I was under the impression that EVERY member of the team was responsible for winning titles.

p.s. This team did win a conference title for "him" without his help.
You're right, you are being silly.

Crimsontothecore
1/17/2007, 12:17 AM
You're right, you are being silly.
So answer my question. Who didn't do a good job of helping him get a NC?

OKC-SLC
1/17/2007, 12:26 AM
So answer my question. Who didn't do a good job of helping him get a NC?
I think you know that the point of my post was more to lament the fact that we didn't end up with a MNC given the Bomar/Peterson recruiting boon. Because of a number of institutional/recruiting/coaching missteps in combination with some serious misfortune, we were unable to secure a MNC during his time here. He made it clear that this was among his goals.

You're right; you got me. There was no person(s) specifically responsible for failing to win a NC with AD here. But again, that was not what I was trying to say--merely I am disappointed that a goal of his and ours went unmet.

You are the only person to have been so ignited by my post--for that reason, I wonder if you are choosing to be inflammatory. If not, I truly apologize for leading you to believe that I am of the opinion that our team goals literally revolved around AD's personal ones. That would be ridiculous.

Big Red Ron
1/17/2007, 06:53 AM
I actually believe that Mike Stoops leaving before/during the preparation for the OB in 2004 is the biggest factor for OU not winning a NC here.

Crimsontothecore
1/17/2007, 08:38 AM
I think you know that the point of my post was more to lament the fact that we didn't end up with a MNC given the Bomar/Peterson recruiting boon. Because of a number of institutional/recruiting/coaching missteps in combination with some serious misfortune, we were unable to secure a MNC during his time here. He made it clear that this was among his goals.

You're right; you got me. There was no person(s) specifically responsible for failing to win a NC with AD here. But again, that was not what I was trying to say--merely I am disappointed that a goal of his and ours went unmet.

You are the only person to have been so ignited by my post--for that reason, I wonder if you are choosing to be inflammatory. If not, I truly apologize for leading you to believe that I am of the opinion that our team goals literally revolved around AD's personal ones. That would be ridiculous.
I'm not being inflammatory, I just get tired of hearing comments implying that AD was somehow let down by the rest of this team. It's as if people think he was the only member of the team with unmet goals. What about Rufus, Ah You, Birdine & Thibodeaux ? Those guys never got their NC either and they have no choice but to leave. they are every bit as deserving as AD.

soonerfaninfla
1/17/2007, 07:31 PM
I actually believe that Mike Stoops leaving before/during the preparation for the OB in 2004 is the biggest factor for OU not winning a NC here.

I totally agree with that, OU'S defense has not had nearly the same intensity that they did when Mike was still coaching. In my opinion OU has not recovered from his loss

utex74
1/17/2007, 10:35 PM
Why do you think more Texans have won national championships with OU than all teams in Texas combined. Now you have a guy (who didn't finish his eligibility) that would have won one with you guys, congrats.

See you guys there again in another 30+ years.

Here I give the guy the respect he is due and wish him well but mention the irony that by him switching to OU he cheated himself out of the very goals he said were his reasons for switching and you bring up all the Texans playing for OU? You lost me. We're talking 2004/2005. And it remains a fact that by choosing to hitch his wagon to OU, no pun intended, he guessed wrong and did not attain the goals he publicly said were his only reason for switching. It might have worked out for the other Texans you got to go up there but it certainly did not work out for Peterson. And that is the only point. But he was young and making bad decisions comes with the territory. All the luck to him in the future.

Big Red Ron
1/18/2007, 07:55 AM
Here I give the guy the respect he is due and wish him well but mention the irony that by him switching to OU he cheated himself out of the very goals he said were his reasons for switching and you bring up all the Texans playing for OU? You lost me. We're talking 2004/2005. And it remains a fact that by choosing to hitch his wagon to OU, no pun intended, he guessed wrong and did not attain the goals he publicly said were his only reason for switching. It might have worked out for the other Texans you got to go up there but it certainly did not work out for Peterson. And that is the only point. But he was young and making bad decisions comes with the territory. All the luck to him in the future.There is no guarantee that ut would have won two years ago with AD. We won more this year without him. I love the dude but your sanctimonious drivel is sickening especially considering AD left without using all of his eligibility. Who's to say we wouldn't have won the NC next year.

Big Red Ron
1/18/2007, 07:58 AM
I totally agree with that, OU'S defense has not had nearly the same intensity that they did when Mike was still coaching. In my opinion OU has not recovered from his lossI think we have recovered and Bob was/is a better DC than Mike. I'm talking about the total disruption of the chemistry and team in the time between him taking the job and the game. We've recovered.

Jason White's Third Knee
1/18/2007, 12:31 PM
Here I give the guy the respect he is due and wish him well but mention the irony that by him switching to OU he cheated himself out of the very goals he said were his reasons for switching and you bring up all the Texans playing for OU? You lost me. We're talking 2004/2005. And it remains a fact that by choosing to hitch his wagon to OU, no pun intended, he guessed wrong and did not attain the goals he publicly said were his only reason for switching. It might have worked out for the other Texans you got to go up there but it certainly did not work out for Peterson. And that is the only point. But he was young and making bad decisions comes with the territory. All the luck to him in the future.

So playing the odds is a bad decision? I guess thinking that tOSU was going to beat Florida was a really stupid thought. Sure, in hinesite, but at the time it made perfect sense. If the ball was round, I'd bite, but not this time.

Desert Sapper
1/18/2007, 05:41 PM

Actually, he publicly stated that his reason for going to OU is that 'OU does a better job of improving players that go there than UT does'. At the time that he made the statement, it was inarguably true. I can't say that I disagree with it now, given that he is a much better blocker, a more patient runner, and a better pass receiver than he was before he came to OU. I don't see Mack or anyone on his staff doing anything other than 'letting AD play'. That was not the case at OU, as evidenced by Kevin Wilson's criticism of AD following the UAB game. Every facet of his game (save his natural work ethic and physical ability) has improved since he arrived in Norman.

No, he did not achieve some of his goals. He lost a MNC. He didn't win the Heisman. Only one of those would have likely been fulfilled had he gone to UT. He won one more conference championship at OU than UT did in the time frame he was at OU. Keep in mind that OU lost to a usc team with a far better defense than the one UT faced in the 2006 Rose Bowl. I have a feeling Lofa Tatupu could have done a better job of containing VY than Freshman Bryan Cushing did.

I guess he could have won the Heisman this year at UT, since he wouldn't have beat RB for it in 2005 and we all know he definitely wouldn't have gotten hurt had he gone to UT. :rolleyes:

Hindsight, in this case, is a crock.

sooner94
1/18/2007, 06:46 PM
Very well said, Desert Sapper.

utex74
1/18/2007, 07:13 PM
[QUOTE=Hindsight, in this case, is a crock.[/QUOTE]

Very valid comments on using hindsight. And based on what he saw in 2004 (?) his decision made sense. Just playing a little devil's advocate, as well as having alittle fun. No disrespect to him or any of you intended.

franklinjake
1/19/2007, 11:22 PM
All I gotta say is thank you AD for all the great memories and I will be a life long AD career follower!!!! Boomer Sooner AD!

colleyvillesooner
1/20/2007, 01:29 AM

Mike was hired on Nov 23, 2003, the day after the final game of the regular season. He left during the prep for the 04 Sugar Bowl.

Big Red Ron
1/20/2007, 05:00 PM
Mike was hired on Nov 23, 2003, the day after the final game of the regular season. He left during the prep for the 04 Sugar Bowl.Yeah, and he stayed too long after taking the job. He should have left immediately. If you don't think his leaving combined the the aftermath of the Big XII Championship game really screwed up "The greatest team ever" then you're missing my point.

colleyvillesooner
1/20/2007, 06:05 PM
Yeah, and he stayed too long after taking the job. He should have left immediately. If you don't think his leaving combined the the aftermath of the Big XII Championship game really screwed up "The greatest team ever" then you're missing my point.

Oh I agree, I was just pointing out that it was the Sugar Bowl, not the Orange Bowl.

Big Red Ron
1/20/2007, 07:16 PM
Oh I agree, I was just pointing out that it was the Sugar Bowl, not the Orange Bowl.lol, all these BCS Championship games are starting to blur in my mind. :D

colleyvillesooner
1/20/2007, 08:23 PM
lol, all these BCS Championship games are starting to blur in my mind. :D

:D

starclassic tama
1/25/2007, 07:04 PM

mike left the previous year, before/during the big 12 champhionship loss to k-state