PDA

View Full Version : Washing machine trouble.

Frozen Sooner
1/15/2007, 01:09 PM
OK, the washing machine just started making a kind of high-pitched whine-like the sound an electric servomotor makes-while it's running.

Any suggestions? Other than buying earplugs?

Is my washing machine about to explode?

Rhino
1/15/2007, 01:17 PM
Sounds like your belt is loose and/or broken.

Frozen Sooner
1/15/2007, 01:18 PM
(checks)

Nope, it's holding up my pants just fine. ;)

Well, it's running and agitating and stuff, so if it's the belt I guess it's probably just loose. I guess I've got time to work on it this week.

LilSooner
1/15/2007, 01:19 PM
It's all those damn hooker parts. You really shouldn't over load your washer with dead hookers.

Okla-homey
1/15/2007, 01:20 PM
Washers have transmissions, dryers have belts.

If the tranny is shot (or about to be shot,) cheaper to buy a new washer.

Me? Three years working for a home appliance sales and service business (Maytag) in high school

Frozen Sooner
1/15/2007, 01:20 PM
Washers have transmissions, dryers have belts.

If the tranny is shot (or about to be shot,) cheaper to buy a new washer.

Me? Three years working for a home appliance sales and service business (Maytag) in high school

Cool. Tranny shouldn't be shot after four years though, should it?

Frozen Sooner
1/15/2007, 01:21 PM
It's all those damn hooker parts. You really shouldn't over load your washer with dead hookers.

Don't be silly. Hookers are dry clean only.

Okla-homey
1/15/2007, 01:22 PM
Cool. Tranny shouldn't be shot after four years though, should it?

Not unless you routinely overload it.

Frozen Sooner
1/15/2007, 01:23 PM
Well, I don't think I do. I mean, I'm a guy, so I'm sure I overload it from time to time, but I'm pretty careful about not cramming my entire wardrobe in it.

It is an pretty cheap washer, though. I got the realtor to throw in a new washer/dryer as part of the deal but didn't specify quality.

Rhino
1/15/2007, 01:27 PM
Washers have transmissions, dryers have belts. Washers (not all, I guess) have belts too. A pump belt and/or a belt for the spin cycle.

The only reason I know is because my old washing machine squealed to high heaven during spin cycle and I later found the belt has completely fallen off the machine.

Okla-homey
1/15/2007, 01:31 PM
Well, I don't think I do. I mean, I'm a guy, so I'm sure I overload it from time to time, but I'm pretty careful about not cramming my entire wardrobe in it.

It is an pretty cheap washer, though. I got the realtor to throw in a new washer/dryer as part of the deal but didn't specify quality.

Rule of thumb on washer loadage: Check the water level once its done filling, The clothes should all stay below the surface of the water after you lightly moosh them down a bit . If not, you're overstuffing it. Overfilling wears washers out quicker, and doesn't get the clothes as clean.

Okla-homey
1/15/2007, 01:33 PM
Washers (not all, I guess) have belts too. A pump belt and/or a belt for the spin cycle.

The only reason I know is because my old washing machine squealed to high heaven during spin cycle and I later found the belt has completely fallen off the machine.

You are of course correct, but that pump doesn't run except during the spin in order to move the expressed water out of the machine and out the drain hose.

Frozen Sooner
1/15/2007, 01:33 PM
Fair enough.

This was the first time it's made that noise-I'm running an empty load through it to see if it happens again, and I haven't heard anything yet.

yermom
1/15/2007, 01:34 PM
maybe a bearing is going out stressing the motor? a belt is loose?

how old is it? still under warranty?

yermom
1/15/2007, 01:36 PM
heh, i came late to this party

do washers even have bearings?

Frozen Sooner
1/15/2007, 01:37 PM
Doesn't appear that the problem is repeatable, so I ain't gonna worry about it until it starts up again or it blows up.

sooner_born_1960
1/15/2007, 01:39 PM
I want to hear Sicem's response to this thread.

royalfan5
1/15/2007, 01:44 PM
I think the first question you should asked when this happened, is where are Steve and Ted? Cats can cause a high pitched whine while caught in a machine.

MamaMia
1/15/2007, 01:53 PM
Rule of thumb on washer loadage: Check the water level once its done filling, The clothes should all stay below the surface of the water after you lightly moosh them down a bit . If not, you're overstuffing it. Overfilling wears washers out quicker, and doesn't get the clothes as clean.
Unless you have a front loader. :)

Frozen Sooner
1/15/2007, 01:58 PM
Crap. Noise started again. Time to head to the store. :mad:

Can I get government assistance for laundry because I'm unemployed?

Tulsa_Fireman
1/15/2007, 02:16 PM
Just ask Tom Dickson (http://www.willitblend.com/videos.aspx?type=unsafe&video=barbie) to help out.

Oldnslo
1/15/2007, 02:17 PM
Yes; washers have bearings. And when they're going bad, they make an interesting sound.

Come on over sometime; you can hear mine. I figure sometime in 07, I'm good for a new washer. Replacing the bearing on a front-loader gets the whole bang/buck equation out of whack pronto fasto.

BoogercountySooner
1/15/2007, 02:35 PM
Did you take all of the wires out of bra's before putting them in this could cause squeeling noise.

Just sayin

Frozen Sooner
1/15/2007, 09:23 PM
OK, so I went and bought some freakin' Whirlpool thing that for the price I paid should be able to walk upstairs, empty the hamper into itself, and do the laundry with no help from me. Damn thing cost more than a mortgage payment

OUHOMER
1/15/2007, 09:33 PM
I think they used to make those in Tulsa. I think

soonerboomer93
1/15/2007, 09:36 PM
good jorb money bags :D

Mongo
1/15/2007, 09:43 PM
Damn thing cost more than a mortgage payment

An igloo mortgage at a 5.825% interest rate cant cost more than 100-125 bucks. Sounds like you got off easy.

soonerboomer93
1/15/2007, 10:27 PM
either that, or he should have gone with the earplugs option

Okla-homey
1/16/2007, 07:04 AM
Why do you even have a "warsher?" I thought furs and sealskins had to be dry-cleaned anyway.

BeetDigger
1/16/2007, 10:10 AM
Yes; washers have bearings. And when they're going bad, they make an interesting sound.

Come on over sometime; you can hear mine. I figure sometime in 07, I'm good for a new washer. Replacing the bearing on a front-loader gets the whole bang/buck equation out of whack pronto fasto.

It's all ball bearings now days. I can fix it, but I'll need some 3 in 1 oil and a half gallon of anti-freeze. Prestone. No, make that Quaker State.

SoonerJack
1/16/2007, 10:16 AM
^^^ WAY TO GO Beetdigger. I was hoping this thread would contain a Fletch line!

Frozen Sooner
1/16/2007, 10:52 AM
Why do you even have a "warsher?" I thought furs and sealskins had to be dry-cleaned anyway.

They're doing amazing things with suedes these days.

OUDoc
1/16/2007, 10:55 AM
It's all ball bearings now days. I can fix it, but I'll need some 3 in 1 oil and a half gallon of anti-freeze. Prestone. No, make that Quaker State.
You'll also need some gauze pads.

John Kochtoston
1/16/2007, 11:32 AM

Highway robbery.:D

Oldnslo
1/16/2007, 12:07 PM
My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it.