PDA

View Full Version : Venables and Sumlin interviewing elsewhere

The Original "soonerjeff"
1/15/2007, 12:39 PM
Here's a story no one's talking about. Kind of worrying, if you ask me (Doesn't matter if it was a great or subpar season, its never easy to change coaches.)

OU coordinators may be leaving
OU football: Assistants on the move?
Venables, Sumlin involved in searches

By John Helsley
Staff Writer

NORMAN — Bob Stoops' recruiting efforts could soon extend beyond player prospects to include new coordinators on both sides of the ball.

Oklahoma assistants Brent Venables and Kevin Sumlin are involved in coaching searches at separate schools. And according to reports, each is on a short list — Venables for the head coaching position at Minnesota, Sumlin as offensive coordinator at Miami.

Venables has been OU's co-defensive coordinator the past eight seasons. Sumlin just finished his first season as co-offensive coordinator.

Venables, who was unavailable for comment Sunday, might have interviewed Friday in Dallas, where Minnesota athletic director Joel Maturi is believed to have met with three or more candidates, according to the Minneapolis Star-Tribune.

The Star-Tribune reports that the school's search is focusing on a list that includes Southern Cal offensive coordinator Lane Kiffin, Notre Dame offensive coordinator Mike Haywood, TCU coach Gary Patterson, Montana coach Bobby Hauck, Denver Broncos assistant Tim Brewster and Venables.

On Dec. 31, Minnesota fired Glen Mason after 10 seasons. A historic 44-41 loss to Texas Tech in the Insight Bowl contributed to his ouster.

Sumlin declined comment Sunday, but a source with knowledge of Miami's search confirmed that Sumlin interviewed with new Miami Hurricanes coach Randy Shannon on Friday and expects a move by Shannon either Tuesday or Wednesday.

The Miami Herald, citing two sources close to the search, reported in Sunday's editions that Shannon's list of candidates includes Sumlin, Northern Illinois offensive coordinator John Bond and Rutgers assistant offensive coordinator John McNulty.

If offered, Sumlin's decision would likely be more about opportunity than money.

The Miami job would offer the higher-profile position of complete control over the offense and might further opportunity to become a head coach, yet comes with more risk.

OU offers stability, although opportunity to advance could take longer.

Sumlin, who makes $185,000 with the Sooners, interviewed for the Louisiana Tech head coaching job last month and has interviewed to be the UTEP head coach in the past.

http://newsok.com/article/2999333

Widescreen
1/15/2007, 12:43 PM
Why is this worrying? Good programs lose coaches. As long as the head coach is good at evaluating potential assistant coaches, it should be OK. While turnover isn't great, I'm surprised it's taken this long for Venables to be considered for other opportunities. And Sumlin wants to get back to being the man.

Octavian
1/15/2007, 12:45 PM
hope Venables stays....

OUmillenium
1/15/2007, 01:05 PM
If Venables needs a reference I would be happy to give one!

MojoRisen
1/15/2007, 01:22 PM
Maybe we can get buddy ryan -

starrca23
1/15/2007, 01:26 PM
This too shall pass.

Snrfn4ever08
1/15/2007, 04:04 PM
I've accepted the fact that OU can't keep assistant coaches very long because everyone wants a piece of the success. I'm honestly pretty surprised Venables has been here as long as he has, but the thing with Sumlin caught me a little off guard.

Monster Zero
1/15/2007, 06:37 PM
Good opportunity for Josh...

MyT Oklahoma
1/15/2007, 07:00 PM
Good opportunity for Josh...

I tend to agee 100%.

OUmillenium
1/15/2007, 07:04 PM
Yep, 1 door closes and another opens!

Soonerman08
1/15/2007, 07:36 PM
Josh remains quarterbacks coach, but Gundy probably gets the nod. Co-offensive coordinator. Wonder who will coach receivers grant it he goes elsewhere. As far as Venables goes this is of a great concern. Who would replace him if he left?

Widescreen
1/15/2007, 07:39 PM
Gundy? Gundy????

Rocker
1/15/2007, 08:12 PM
They hired someone else not Venables

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2732273

OK2LA
1/15/2007, 09:10 PM
They hired someone else not Venables

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2732273

By golly - that is someone else.

washington's fave
1/15/2007, 09:12 PM
I get an impression from your mind that any one else other than Venables is the Key to a MNC!!! What a ****** *** you are!!! If it were easy to win every game, Barry Switzer would have gone undefeated for 15 yrs and won 15 MNC!!! Grow a pair and admit that it is hard to win every game!!!; and that it is hard in this day and age to win every bowl game!!! F** boy I can't believe you are such an unrealistic football watcher - mind not a player but an in the stands watcher!!!

OzarkSooner
1/15/2007, 09:20 PM
This isn't the biggest problem in the world, however it would be a bit perplexing for Sumlin to go to Miami, seeing as how we have to play them next year. I don't like the prospects of that.

goingoneight
1/15/2007, 09:37 PM
I've been critical of BV and many of you all have been the same with OUr offensive staff... but all in all, I'd be happy to see BV get a good gig, as well as KS. I just don't think Miami is really gonna ever re-live the Jimmy Johnson days when they fire coaches who win championships. And Minnesota? I feel BV could land a much better gig, but that's just my opinion. I would think with the BIG 12 down right now, people would ahve their eye on OUr opening jobs, as a way to compete with quality names and pile up stats. Gene Chizik is giving it a whirl...

If you guys go, good luck and hope to see good things at Minnesota, and good offense at Miami, didn't necessarily say good things in general for the Co-Canes. :D

Scott D
1/15/2007, 10:02 PM
I have a feeling someone that posted in this thread is going to get a little vacation.

Snrfn4ever08
1/15/2007, 10:03 PM
I have a feeling someone that posted in this thread is going to get a little vacation.
Just a little bit random, but I'm diggin the sig. :D

sooneron
1/15/2007, 10:17 PM
I get an impression from your mind that any one else other than Venables is the Key to a MNC!!! What a ****** *** you are!!! If it were easy to win every game, Barry Switzer would have gone undefeated for 15 yrs and won 15 MNC!!! Grow a pair and admit that it is hard to win every game!!!; and that it is hard in this day and age to win every bowl game!!! F** boy I can't believe you are such an unrealistic football watcher - mind not a player but an in the stands watcher!!!
Who the **** are you talking to? The quote button is your friend, as is the FAQ re: name calling.

OU-HSV
1/15/2007, 10:27 PM
Didn't take this poster long did it?
What's with the strange use of ** to bleep non existent curse words out?
I wonder if he was calling whoever he was talking to a "Fun" boy, interesting.:D
:pop:

Rocker
1/15/2007, 10:38 PM
Didn't take this poster long did it?
What's with the strange use of ** to bleep non existent curse words out?
I wonder if he was calling whoever he was talking to a "Fun" boy, interesting.:D
:pop:

Kinda what I was thinking too....

I was just pointing out that espn had a story and thats it.

OU_Sooners75
1/15/2007, 10:39 PM
hope Venables stays....

Why would you want Venerables to stay?

OU_Sooners75
1/15/2007, 10:40 PM
I say let Brent leave and have Bobby take over the defense. No need to hire a DC when your HC is one of the best in the business.

85sooners
1/15/2007, 10:46 PM
Maybe we can get buddy ryan - :D :D

OU-HSV
1/15/2007, 10:46 PM
I say let Brent leave and have Bobby take over the defense. No need to hire a DC when your HC is one of the best in the business.
That's kind of my thinking too. I mean a day will come in which Brent gets another gig, and at that point I'm not going to worry too much because even if Bob hires in another D.C., I think Bob will become more involved w/the D than he has been in the last couple seasons. JMHO

Snrfn4ever08
1/15/2007, 11:48 PM
That's kind of my thinking too. I mean a day will come in which Brent gets another gig, and at that point I'm not going to worry too much because even if Bob hires in another D.C., I think Bob will become more involved w/the D than he has been in the last couple seasons. JMHO
I'm all for that

OldGuyinStudentSection
1/16/2007, 04:22 AM
Venables had the best defense in the Big XII this year and is the best recruiter on the staff now that Darryl Wyatt is in the NFL. While the Sooners have struggled to finish off the recruiting class with quality players, Coach V had his 2 stud LB's wrapped up before the season even started.

Sumlin is out of the running for the Miami gig, but if we were to lose one of the two he's definitely the guy I'd vote off the island. Our young WR corps did a great job this season under his tutelage, but I bet a dollar to your doughnut that Bob would have 10 top notch WR coaches banging down his door that could recruit better than Sumlin.

TripleOption14
1/16/2007, 07:45 AM
To me it seems like Venables will never get a big time push for a head coaching job until his defense does something really special. OU had the best D in the big 12 but maybe the big 12 was not all that great after watching this years bowl games play out. I think he will have to top Mike Stoop's defense of old in order to get a honest look. He's never had that defense that everyone across the country was saying..."Have you seen OU play defense this year?!?!" Kinda like LSU, Florida, Ohio St, and Mich from this past year.

Soonerman08
1/16/2007, 10:44 AM
To me it seems like Venables will never get a big time push for a head coaching job until his defense does something really special. OU had the best D in the big 12 but maybe the big 12 was not all that great after watching this years bowl games play out. I think he will have to top Mike Stoop's defense of old in order to get a honest look. He's never had that defense that everyone across the country was saying..."Have you seen OU play defense this year?!?!" Kinda like LSU, Florida, Ohio St, and Mich from this past year.

We all know what happened to that great Ohio State and Michigan defense in their bowl games don't we??? By the way who here actually watched the bowl game? I remember one key play where the defense was actually out of place and gave up an easy TD. The offense gives up 14 points and 4 turnovers and you blame defense? I don't see the logic in that. By the way I seem to recall coach Stoops ordering Venables to call that prevent defense from the git-go on the last drive. He admitted it in his post game interviews following the Fiesta Bowl and the man had a great point. We did have them at 4th and 18 on the last part of that drive with that same defensive scheming.

birddog
1/16/2007, 11:05 AM
venables didn't get the 'sota gig. they got the broncos tight end coach.

sooneron
1/16/2007, 11:25 AM
I think losing Brent could sting more than most would give him credit for. His recruiting has really gotten to be a strength for him.

Rocker
1/16/2007, 12:46 PM
I think losing Brent could sting more than most would give him credit for. His recruiting has really gotten to be a strength for him.

I never say anything about it but all the former players I know say he is the closet person like Stoops on the staff at OU and that OU needs to keep as long as possible.

TripleOption14
1/16/2007, 10:34 PM
We all know what happened to that great Ohio State and Michigan defense in their bowl games don't we??? By the way who here actually watched the bowl game? I remember one key play where the defense was actually out of place and gave up an easy TD. The offense gives up 14 points and 4 turnovers and you blame defense? I don't see the logic in that. By the way I seem to recall coach Stoops ordering Venables to call that prevent defense from the git-go on the last drive. He admitted it in his post game interviews following the Fiesta Bowl and the man had a great point. We did have them at 4th and 18 on the last part of that drive with that same defensive scheming.

First of all you need to RELAX. Next,the point was (if would have taken the time to READ carefully before throwing your fit) that those defenses were all talked about at some time this past season as being great by national media people. Who cares what the talking heads have to say i know but the point was OU's D has not been in that same breath by the talking heads. So just maybe maaayyybe if no one is talking about the OU D in the national spotlight (because we know that coaches and others don't watch games other than their own) it would affect whether Venables get a good look or not. That was all i was trying to say.