PDA

View Full Version : Springdale's Malzahn to TU. Will Mustain follow?

soonertaylor
1/15/2007, 10:54 AM
Arkansas' Malzahn headed to Tulsa; Mustain next?By Joe Schad
Special to ESPN.com

After only one season at Arkansas, offensive coordinator Guz Malzahn will leave the program for Tulsa, sources said Monday.

Malzahn, who made a successful transition from Springdale (Ark.) High School to the Razorbacks, helping the team to a 10-4 record, will join Todd Graham's staff as co-offensive coordinator.

Former West Virginia tight ends coach Herb Hand will serve in the role of co-offensive coordinator.

Malzahn arrived at Arkansas with much fanfare, and brought with him freshman quarterback Mitch Mustain, considered by some the nation's top player, and three other Springdale players. Some speculated there was a connection between Malzahn's hiring and the commitments.

But one of those players, wide receiver Damian Williams, transferred to USC after this season, displeased that Malzahn's no-huddle, spread attack was never unveiled.

Several parents of the Springdale freshmen went to athletic director Frank Broyles to complain. Mustain's mother even put out a statement suggesting Nutt should have control of the program.

Now, there will be speculation about Mustain's future. The quarterback lost his starting position to Casey Dick at the end of the season. And Tulsa is only 1½ hours from the town of Springdale.

After a 10-1 start, Arkansas lost the last three games of its season, including a 17-14 defeat at the hands of Wisconsin in the Capital One Bowl.

Graham has already named Herb Hand as the other co-offensive coordinator and offensive line coach for Tulsa.

Six members from Graham's staff at Rice will follow him to Tulsa. Assistants Dean Jackson, Danny Phillips, Jason Jones, Jess Loepp, Bo Graham and strength and conditioning coordinator Yancy McKnight will help coach the Golden Hurricanes. Jackson is the only offensive coach coming from the Owls' staff.

Joe Schad is ESPN TV's national college football reporter. The Associated Press contributed to this report.

:pop:

sooner518
1/15/2007, 11:05 AM
No disrespect to Tulsa, but leaving the Offensive Coordinator position at Arky for a co-Offensive Coordinator position at Tulsa is a step down or 2.

Monster Zero
1/15/2007, 11:14 AM
No offense taken. After what's happened in hog-land this season it frankly seems like a bad move on the part of the new HC. This guy was a loose cannon at Arkansas and was involved with the crazy moms raising hell like a bunch of little leaguers to boot.

Some around here in the media were talking about an assistant from another skool in the state. (cough cough) THAT might have made some sense...

OklahomaTuba
1/15/2007, 11:18 AM
Arky is a holy mess right now. I would get my *** out of that situtation as well.

And leave that damn QB at Arky. He will help bring the place down IMO.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/15/2007, 12:04 PM
Arky is a holy mess right now. I would get my *** out of that situtation as well.

And leave that damn QB at Arky. He will help bring the place down IMO.

Agree. I wonder how much longer Nutt will be able to stay. Leaving probably gives Malzahn 3 or 4 years at TU, would he have that long at Arky?

Since Arky tasted winning this year, they will expect an SEC championship next year, or it will not be successful year.

OklahomaTuba
1/15/2007, 12:07 PM
Hell, having a winning season is being a success at Arky. Thats nothing more than another okie state type of situation. They have some massive penile envy going on there.

The_Red_Patriot
1/15/2007, 12:09 PM
All kinds of crap going down in Ark.

Id get out too

NorthernIowaSooner
1/15/2007, 12:24 PM
i think hes just leaving to have the chance to actually use his offense. nutt wouldnt let him, they had to run their wildcat stuff, so while its a step down in school and conference size and prestige, and its probly a paycut, but i think his desire must be to actually call some offensive plays and run his offense. if thats the reason i respect him moving down and not making a money a factor, and that he wants to take responsibility for the challenge of playcalling. id want the hell out of arky too cause that place seems to be falling apart and i think mustain wont hang out much longer

Texas Golfer
1/15/2007, 02:18 PM
Even though it's a "step down", he had to be frustrated in not being allowed to do what he was brought in to do with the offense. It seemed that Nutt was more interested in highlighting McFadden than he was opening up the offense.

OKC-SLC
1/15/2007, 03:04 PM
Nutt has not shown himself to be anything but a close-to-the-vest kind of guy when it comes to offense. There has to a be lot of friction behind the scenes (obligatory NTTAWWT) that we don't know about.

AllAboutThe'O'
1/15/2007, 03:18 PM
When someone goes from being an offensive coordinator at an SEC school to a co-offensive coordinator gig at a C-USA school, something seems fishy. I attribute that to a personality conflict with Nutt. Nutt was just too plain stubborn to accept Gus' vision and ideas. I'm no big fan of Gus, but I respect his decision to leave that sinking ship. Because mark my words, once McFadden bolts for the NFL next year, Nutt's going to have the Razorback football program back in the ditch.

Widescreen
1/15/2007, 03:25 PM
Wilson had to be frustrated in not being allowed to do what he was brought in to do with the offense. It seemed that Stoops was more interested in highlighting Peterson than he was opening up the offense.
Fixed.

;)

ashley
1/15/2007, 05:04 PM
He better watch out for Graham, he had a bad reputation in coaching circles before he even got to Rice.

47straight
1/15/2007, 09:31 PM
He better watch out for Graham, he had a bad reputation in coaching circles before he even got to Rice.

Unfounded rumor much?

goingoneight
1/16/2007, 01:25 AM
Anyone else think with all the kids and coaches bailing that something NCAA might come up soon for Arkie?

OklahomaTuba
1/16/2007, 09:53 AM
Anyone else think with all the kids and coaches bailing that something NCAA might come up soon for Arkie?

Nah, they probably just realized they were in Arkansas.

FourKings
1/16/2007, 10:07 AM
Man what a mess the hogs have on thier hands.....man, if some kids mom came into my office and started yappin about how I should run my program....tough to sit a listen to that boy....lmao!

OKLA21FAN
1/16/2007, 10:16 AM
'NuttHuggers' all over NW Arkansas are in full meltdown mode. Lead by Ole Man Broyles with tese quotes.

“[Nutt ] won’t be taking over the plays,” Broyles said. “He’s going to hire someone to call the plays. He realizes he can do a better job as a head coach that way, and there’s no doubt in my mind."

“ Next year we’re going to throw the ball better, and we’re going to hand it to McFadden and Jones. That’s easy.”

“If I was head coach and I had a position open on offense, I’d try to hire David Lee,” Broyles said. “But Houston has to make those decisions.”

“Any coach that doesn’t hand it off to McFadden and Jones won’t last one game,” Broyles said. “It ain’t hard to be an offensive coordinator with McFadden and Jones.”

That's a good way to get a top-notch coordinator.

But Gus' comments pretty much says it all:

"I had a great opportunity to come here, call the plays and be an assistant head coach."

when asked about about leaving a 'top 15' program to come to Tulsa.

AllAboutThe'O'
1/16/2007, 04:17 PM
'NuttHuggers' all over NW Arkansas are in full meltdown mode. Lead by Ole Man Broyles with tese quotes.

“[Nutt ] won’t be taking over the plays,” Broyles said. “He’s going to hire someone to call the plays. He realizes he can do a better job as a head coach that way, and there’s no doubt in my mind."

“ Next year we’re going to throw the ball better, and we’re going to hand it to McFadden and Jones. That’s easy.”

“If I was head coach and I had a position open on offense, I’d try to hire David Lee,” Broyles said. “But Houston has to make those decisions.”

“Any coach that doesn’t hand it off to McFadden and Jones won’t last one game,” Broyles said. “It ain’t hard to be an offensive coordinator with McFadden and Jones.”

That's a good way to get a top-notch coordinator.

But Gus' comments pretty much says it all:

"I had a great opportunity to come here, call the plays and be an assistant head coach."

when asked about about leaving a 'top 15' program to come to Tulsa.
It all comes down to one word: EGO. Nutt has a massive ego the size of the Atlantic Ocean and Broyles is the same way. How Broyles has managed to run off the likes of Eddie Sutton, Lou Holtz, Ken Hatfield and Nolan Richardson but keeps that egomaniac "used car salesman" is beyond me.

soonerhillbilly
1/16/2007, 05:05 PM
Just heard from the office, Mustain headed to Tulsa ? Nutt sucks !

soonerhillbilly
1/16/2007, 05:07 PM
Broyles is grooming Nutt to be next AD. Then Nutt can keep on running the program in the ground.

NorthernIowaSooner
1/16/2007, 05:18 PM
id like to see mustain transfer, i dont think he'll succeed in ark. it seems when he got in games at the end of the season he was looking over his shoulder and trying too hard not to screw up, nutt's choice for QB was obviously dick and i think the only reason mustain played at the end of the season because fans want to see him.

the problem for him is im sure classes at ark started this week and that makes it tough to transfer because if he does at the end of the year he'll miss next years spring practice wherever he transfers to and be thrown into the miss in the fall without much experience. and i think at this point itd be tough to transfer in semester

soonerhillbilly
1/16/2007, 05:24 PM
Agree. Not sure where these reports are coming from but all these people in the office are Hog fans and are reading somewhere, he is gone. Tulsa ? Not sure. If Ark would just pick a QB & stick with the dude then they'd do something there, instead going back and forth. Broyles is pulling the strings. Nutt is the puppet.

Spray
1/16/2007, 05:42 PM
Mustain leaving.

http://5newsonline.com/Global/story.asp?S=5946776

Grimey
1/16/2007, 05:50 PM
I heard an interview with Graham here in Tulsa, and apparently he and Malzahn go way back as friends. They had always said that if the chance ever arose, they would really like to work together.

OU-HSV
1/16/2007, 07:09 PM
No disrespect to Tulsa, but leaving the Offensive Coordinator position at Arky for a co-Offensive Coordinator position at Tulsa is a step down or 2.
Seems there's more to the story now... I just found this article, sounds like Nutt pretty much bent Malzahn over. I've lost any remaining little amount of respect I had for Houston Nutt (which was a very very very little amount to begin with). Interesting read here:

http://arkansas.scout.com/2/610047.html

By Alex Abrams
The Morning News/Razorback Central
Posted Jan 15, 2007

FAYETTEVILLE -- After learning this past weekend that his role as Arkansas' offensive coordinator was going to be diminished, Gus Malzahn decided it was in his best interest to accept a position at the University of Tulsa, a source close to the team said Monday.

Wasting little time, Malzahn was named early Monday as Tulsa's assistant head coach and co-offensive coordinator, joining the staff of new Golden Hurricane coach Todd Graham.

"I think it's the right fit," Malzahn said in a statement released by Tulsa. "My relationship with Coach Graham was important, and our offensive philosophies are very similar -- a no-huddle spread-type philosophy."

The source, who didn't want to be identified, said that Malzahn spoke with Arkansas coach Houston Nutt on Saturday and asked him if Malzahn would remain as the team's offensive coordinator.

According to the source, Nutt told Malzahn that there were plans to bring in David Lee -- who is responsible for offensive quality control with the Dallas Cowboys -- to be a co-offensive coordinator. That would mean a decreased role for Malzahn, who also served as Arkansas' wide receivers coach.

Graham has already said that Malzahn will call the offensive plays at Tulsa, though former West Virginia assistant Herb Hand will also serve as a co-offensive coordinator. Malzahn is expected to implement a no-huddle spread offense that he became known for as Springdale High's highly successful coach.

"We're very proud to have moved Gus from high school to (the) college (ranks), and he did a great job for us," Arkansas athletic director Frank Broyles said. ""He's going to another job, and we wish him the best."

Broyles, however, refused to comment on whether Malzahn left Arkansas after being told that he would be demoted to co-offensive coordinator.

Arkansas, meanwhile, was working Monday on a way to hire Lee as the team's sole offensive coordinator, as well as take over as the quarterbacks coach, the source said. That would imply that Alex Wood is out after serving as the quarterbacks coach with the Razorbacks for only one season.

Lee has already worked twice as an assistant at Arkansas, first under Ken Hatfield (1984-88) and then again as a quarterbacks coach under Nutt from 2001-02. Lee considered returning to Arkansas as the offensive coordinator before Malzahn was hired in December 2005.

Malzahn's departure after only one season came as a surprise, especially considering that he had often referred to being the school's offensive coordinator as a "dream job."

In addition, Nutt repeatedly had said since late December that a contract extension was being worked out for Malzahn to remain with the Razorbacks. Nutt said as recently as last Tuesday that an extension was still in the works.

"It was a surprise," Arkansas running backs coach Danny Nutt said of Malzahn's departure. "I didn't have a clue."

This past season, Malzahn was credited with bringing some new formations and trick plays to Arkansas' offense. The Razorbacks went 10-4 and finished No. 15, the team's highest ranking to end a season since 1989.

But even before the season started, there was talk that some of Arkansas' assistant coaches had animosity with Malzahn. And there was also plenty of debate throughout the season over who was actually calling the plays, whether it was Malzahn or Houston Nutt.

Nutt didn't return multiple messages left on his cell phone Monday.

"I wish (Malzahn) nothing but the best both personally and professionally as he takes on his new role," Nutt said in a statement released through the university.

The decision by Malzahn to leave for Tulsa has created much uncertainty over whether several of his former Springdale High players will decide to transfer, perhaps to join him with the Golden Hurricane.

Quarterback Mitch Mustain and tight end Ben Cleveland considered transferring before Arkansas faced No. 7 Wisconsin in the Capital One Bowl on Jan. 1. Both players decided to stay with the Razorbacks, in large part because of their relationships with Malzahn.

Rick Cleveland said Monday that his son has not left Arkansas, and Beck Campbell -- Mustain's mother -- said her son hasn't transferred to another school. Arkansas' spring semester begins today.

Mustain is familiar with Lee, who helped tutor the quarterback when he was younger. But Mustain and Malzahn have a relationship from their time together at Springdale High where Mustain was widely regarded as the nation's top quarterback prospect in 2005.

"I really can't comment other than to say I'm shocked," Campbell said of Malzahn's decision. "(But) I think it speaks volumes."

Malzahn's departure could be addressed with Arkansas' players when they gather at 4 p.m. today for a meeting that was scheduled before Monday's announcement.

Morning News preps editor Kurt Voigt contributed to this report.

soonertaylor
1/16/2007, 08:00 PM
No link yet, but KOTV channel 6 in Tulsa just reported that Mustain is headed to Tulsa.

TDArkansasOhMy
1/16/2007, 08:14 PM
Mustain clean out his locker today, and ask Houston for his release. Nutt said no at first, then after thinking it over, gavehime what he wanted. Sooners need a young QB and his mom?

NorthernIowaSooner
1/16/2007, 08:46 PM
heres something for nutt to think about...when mustain started they went 8-0 including beating some good teams like auburn. without mustain they 2-4 and also played tough teams there but were never really in some of those games. granted one was the USuC game when they got wailed on but they were a better team with mustain out there it seemed and the team seemed to believe in him the way they played behind him. they played terrible with dick in there but it seems nutt never really wanted mustain to play

NorthernIowaSooner
1/16/2007, 08:49 PM
and nutt's an idiot, springdale was becoming a great spot for him to get talent in the past couple years and now he runs off the coach and qb from there. i think hes out after next year, the only problem will be finding someone else who will be a puppet for broyles

OU-HSV
1/16/2007, 09:21 PM
Yep, I simply think this is a case of nutt being arrogant and/or stubborn. I read a story a bit ago in which nutt was quoted saying "if any of our players want released, just ask us and we'll grant a release." That's starting to seem like he's a little frustrated w/the situation....or he's just plain being an idiot.

Canyonero
1/16/2007, 09:43 PM
Nutts not going anywhere, they just extended his contract through 2012 and gave him a raise. Plus him and Broyles are on the same team.

OU-HSV
1/16/2007, 09:50 PM
Nutts not going anywhere, they just extended his contract through 2012 and gave him a raise. Plus him and Broyles are on the same team.
http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/8558/abgmi2.th.jpg (http://img224.imageshack.us/my.php?image=abgmi2.jpg)

:D

tulsaoilerfan
1/16/2007, 10:38 PM
Looks like TU may have landed Paul Smith's replacement, but i wonder if he's one of those kids whose parents will always interfere no matter where he is

OU-HSV
1/16/2007, 11:04 PM
Looks like TU may have landed Paul Smith's replacement, but i wonder if he's one of those kids whose parents will always interfere no matter where he is..<clears throat> Rhett Bomar
Fixed ;)

OKC-SLC
1/16/2007, 11:32 PM
http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/8558/abgmi2.th.jpg (http://img224.imageshack.us/my.php?image=abgmi2.jpg)

:D
if they're ambiguous, then I'm sleek and athletic.

OU-HSV
1/16/2007, 11:50 PM
if they're ambiguous, then I'm sleek and athletic.
heh

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to OKC-SLC again

goingoneight
1/17/2007, 12:40 AM
That's cool with Arkie... Nutt was much closer to Dick anyway. Even when the Trojans were really wrapping him up, Nutt grew close to Johnson as well. So much so, he fired his balls at him a few times the remainder of the year.

OKC-SLC
1/17/2007, 01:02 AM
Nutt was much closer to Dick anyway. Even when the Trojans were really wrapping him up, Nutt grew close to Johnson as well. So much so, he fired his balls at him a few times the remainder of the year.
obligatory 'heh'.

AllAboutThe'O'
1/17/2007, 01:03 AM
Well, Alabama extended Mike Shula's contract a few more years after the 2005 season and look where that got him.
You heard it here first: Nutt is going to be gone in the fall of 2008. The 2007 team has a cake schedule plus they have McFadden and Jones. McFadden is certain to go pro after next season and Jones might follow. But once they leave, the well is going to run dry and already the state's top prospects have decided to play elsewhere (the No. 1 prospect, Rogers offensive lineman Lee Ziemba, has yet to announce his choice but it's 99.9 percent certain it'll be Auburn along with Fort Smith Northside quarterback Kodi Burns).
The SEC West will be an even bigger monster with Saban at 'Bama to go with LSU and Auburn. I think the Hogs blew their best chance at winning the SEC title this past year. Arkansas, and I hate to say this because it's my alma mater, will go into a tailspin once McFadden leaves and Nutt may finally be the fall guy.

sooner518
1/17/2007, 01:18 AM
No link yet, but KOTV channel 6 in Tulsa just reported that Mustain is headed to Tulsa.
anyone else hearing this??

melbitoast
1/17/2007, 01:35 AM

Yep. Didn't see where he's going, but definitely saw on the ticker during the UT/OSU game that he's leaving.

melbitoast
1/17/2007, 01:38 AM

Here you go.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2733190

AllAboutThe'O'
1/17/2007, 01:46 AM
I never thought I would see the day when I have a newfound respect for Gus Malzahn and Mitch Mustain for telling Dale the Cowpoke (you guys do know that Nutt transferred to OSU because, ironically enough, he wasn't getting playing time as a QB) to stick it where the sun don't shine.

sooner518
1/17/2007, 01:55 AM
Here you go.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2733190
I was looking for a link that says that Mustain is headed to Tulsa. Not just a link that he got released from Arky

swardboy
1/17/2007, 09:39 AM
When is it too late to register at OU for the spring semester?

OklahomaTuba
1/17/2007, 10:41 AM
Dear Lord, the last thing we need is MM in Norman.

sooner518
1/17/2007, 11:37 AM
Dear Lord, the last thing we need is MM in Norman.
Why?! I love these things!
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00060ON1Q.01-A3CDPEGSIQM61V._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

:D :D

cb4ou
1/17/2007, 12:44 PM
On cold pizza this morning they said he options are Tulsa, OU and Louisville.

soonerhillbilly
1/17/2007, 12:53 PM
I don't want this punk azz going to OU ! I hear enuff sheit around here, all I need is these hog fans giving me he77 about MM @ OU. OU doesn't need some non committed player ! I see the headlines now... MM to OU, Nichol bails & then MM splits, and now OU no QB. MM = Headache/mommas boy !

possumfat
1/17/2007, 01:57 PM
something tells me Mr. Stoops would not put up with MM's mommy. I always wondered how stooops handled Bomars daddy.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/17/2007, 02:17 PM
Well my initial reaction is we can do without the headache, but...

I think Stoops has shown on more than one occaision who is in charge. Even Stoops' cat kicks azz when it needs to. If he decides to come here and the coaches are OK with it than I will be. There is no knocking his talent.

On the other hand I won't lose sleep if he goes to Tulsa or somewhere else instead.

Part of me hopes MM doesn't go to Tulsa because there is a kid from my high school (was the Mo Gatorade player of the year) who is being recruited by Tulsa. He is a borderline DI prospect that I think could do pretty well somewhere like that after a few years in the system but would have almost certainly been a 2nd QB signed by a school. Baylor was the only other DI that I know of that had a significant interest.

Seamus
1/17/2007, 02:18 PM
something tells me Mr. Stoops would not put up with MM's mommy. I always wondered how stooops handled Bomars daddy.

A swift kick to the taint?

ArkanSooner
1/17/2007, 03:13 PM
Mitchell Mustain is not the problem, he is a class young man who just got screwed over by a lying, egomaniacal coach. True, his mother is a bit meddlesome, but I would be thrilled to have Mitchell be a Sooner. If in fact there was some problems with Mitch or his mother, Stoops would not put up with it. I firmly believe, though, that the problem is Nutt, NOT Mustain. Why else would an offensive coordinator of the SEC West champion resign to take a similar position at Tulsa, an All-SEC Freshman WR transfer to USC, and an All-Everything QB is 8-0 choose to transfer somewhere to sit out a year? Nutt is a cancer who is in the process of running the Hog program into the ground (much to the delight of this Sooner fan). If Mitchell decides to be a Sooner, he should be welcomed with open arms.

AllAboutThe'O'
1/17/2007, 04:40 PM
You guys will love this column that ran in today's Fort Smith paper. Spot on if you ask me.

http://www.swtimes.com/articles/2007/01/17/commentary/scott_faldon/faldon01.txt

Big Red Ron
1/17/2007, 05:36 PM
You guys will love this column that ran in today's Fort Smith paper. Spot on if you ask me.

http://www.swtimes.com/articles/2007/01/17/commentary/scott_faldon/faldon01.txtI got a blank page

homerSimpsonsBrain
1/17/2007, 05:47 PM
Hogs’ Only Cure Is To Clean House
Wednesday, January 17, 2007 9:03 AM CST

A couple of years ago, a word was created during beer company’s advertising campaign. “Traveshamockery” was coined by combining “travesty,” “sham” and “mockery.”

“Traveshamockery” is a perfect word for the complete and utter mess that is the Arkansas Razorback football program.

It started when Frank “Athletics Director For Life” Broyles and various boosters forced Houston Nutt to name Gus Malzahn the offensive coordinator — a move that obviously was done solely to sway the Springdale recruits, especially quarterback Mitch Mustain, to sign with Arkansas last year.

According to a Dec. 8 column by Matt Mosley on the Dallas Morning News’ CowboysPlus.com Web site, Nutt (and/or Broyles) approached David Lee about becoming the co-offensive coordinator in February 2006 ... after National Signing Day. After Malzahn had delivered three of the Springdale players to Nutt’s doorstep.

Think about the dishonesty involved in that scenario.

Malzahn is approached about being the wide receivers coach. He turned that down.

He’s approached about being the offensive coordinator, and is told he can run the offense as he sees fit. He accepts.

Malzahn convinced players to attend UA based on those promises. But behind his back, there was already scheming and plotting to demote him before the Razorbacks even went through spring drills.

Despite that, Malzahn soldiered on, believing what he’d been told when he was hired as offensive coordinator. He kept his mouth shut when the Murray State Mafia (a.k.a. Nutt’s longtime crew of assistants) kept belittling him by calling him “High School” in front of the players.

As the season wears on, he goes from being involved in the game plan and calling the plays to, by the end, doing nothing more than signaling in the plays Nutt selected.

The season ends and parents of the Springdale players meet with Broyles. The doddering AD tells them “experts” say Malzahn’s offense won’t work in the SEC.

One player leaves for Pete Carroll’s powerhouse USC program in Los Angeles.

Then, finally, last week Malzahn approaches Nutt, asking what his status is. Asking if he’ll truly be the offensive coordinator next fall. He’s told Nutt is looking to bring in a co-offensive coordinator and Malzahn’s role will be reduced even further. Lee, who has two previous stints at Arkansas, is a de facto member of the Murray State Mafia. He’s on the same page as Nutt and won’t rock the boat with crazy talk of four wide receivers, Spread formations and hurry-up, no-huddle game plans.

Malzahn jumps at the first offer he gets, mainly because Tulsa coach Todd Graham promises Malzahn will have control of the offense.

Mustain decides he might not want to be in Fayetteville if Malzahn, the main reason he committed to Arkansas, isn’t there and asks for his release.

In this entire mess, the only people with one whit of integrity have been Malzahn and Mustain.

As proven by their words and actions, Broyles and Nutt have no integrity.

The columnists and talk-show yappers who kept saying, “The coaching staff gets along just fine,” have no integrity.

The big-money boosters who made promises to Malzahn, but had no intention of keeping them, have no integrity.

It is a traveshamockery that Malzahn and Mustain are no longer at Arkansas.

AllAboutThe'O'
1/17/2007, 05:53 PM
I got a blank page
Scroll down; it's at the bottom.

paraloma
1/17/2007, 07:45 PM
OU will be the first place he visits.

dog-knee
1/20/2007, 02:49 PM
Believe it or don't, Mitch and I are related. The word I hear through the family grapevine (there are lots of Mustains in Oklahoma who are in pretty close contact with Mitch's dad -- his mom doesn't talk to us much, though!) is that he is pretty torn between following his HS coach to Tulsa and the idea of possibly playing for Big XII and maybe even National Championships at OU.

The column referenced in the previous post does a good job at capturing the inside story of Houston Nutt's schemes and duplicity regarding hiring Malzahn and recruiting Mustain. Pretty shabby, but not terribly surprising. Contrast this whole soap opera with the way Stoops handled the Peterson, Bowmar, Paul Thompson player personnel issues. Man, I'm so-o-o-o grateful we have Stoops and Castiglione instead of those clowns over at UA.