PDA

View Full Version : Dear local televsion broadcasters....

Okla-homey
1/15/2007, 10:11 AM
here's a thought, in the wake of winter stormage, instead of the interminable on-screen crawl of every school, church, and roadside vegetable stand closed for the weather -- which contricts my viewing space and impacts your ability to project an HDTV signal...How about going the short list route?...IOW, just list the schools and crap that are OPEN. Later, in succeeding days, when things settle down a bit and thawing begins, you can list the outliers which remain closed.

Also, the stupid graphics you add at the sides of the picture, complete with scary-looking snowflakes and stuff, is redundant, silly, and further cramps my picture

TIA

jk the sooner fan
1/15/2007, 10:18 AM
but that doesnt keep you glued to the tv and the ads that pay their bills......

reevie
1/15/2007, 10:19 AM
Took me an hour and a half Saturday night to see if my church was going to have services once they started with the A's. Of course, by the time I saw it on the TV I already knew because I had checked the webpage.

reevie
1/15/2007, 10:20 AM

I don't think the OKC stations went on a commercial break!

Okla-homey
1/15/2007, 10:20 AM

I hadn't thought of that. You sir, are very insightful. Come to think of it, they do ditch the crawl during commercials. bastages.

jk the sooner fan
1/15/2007, 10:23 AM
i always had melt downs when i used to have to rely on the ESPN sports ticker to get OU scores (when i was living abroad and before the innerweb)......just when i thought i was getting close to seeing a score, they'd go to commercial.....and i'd miss the scrolling ticker......

reevie
1/15/2007, 10:26 AM
Yeah, I hate it when that happens

Partial Qualifier
1/15/2007, 10:34 AM

They're getting pretty good at this. The local news outlets had alot more to do with teh closings than the weather did.

jk the sooner fan
1/15/2007, 10:39 AM
the coverage down here was just silly, considering we didnt get any real ice accumulation until late last nite

1stTimeCaller
1/15/2007, 11:40 AM
a buddy of mine called all the OKC stations to let them know his storage unit business would be closed. he figured it would be free advertising. heh.

Jimminy Crimson
1/15/2007, 12:20 PM
a buddy of mine called all the OKC stations to let them know his storage unit business would be closed. he figured it would be free advertising. heh.

We've pranked the stations before just to giggle like bri when our 'closing' comes up. :texan:

SicEmBaylor
1/15/2007, 12:22 PM
I think my old school is open. Every single surrounding district could be closed but they'd stay open. It takes some sort of cataclysmic event of biblical proportions to shut that school down.

OKC-SLC
1/15/2007, 12:24 PM
heh.

Okieflyer
1/15/2007, 12:27 PM
I had just got this TV and thought I had screwed something up. The HD looked like Cr*p! :mad:

I used to hate that stupid map in the corner that took up a 1/4 of the screen. But I thought with a big display it wouldn't be so bad.

But they proved me wrong. Now I have figured out that I'll have to put up with them screwing the HD signal up everytime the wind gusts above 30.

jk the sooner fan
1/15/2007, 12:31 PM
we've got a weatherman down here, his name is James Aydelot

we're going back out to James Ate Alot......funniest sounding name of the weekend

yermom
1/15/2007, 12:35 PM
why does it not surprise me that SicEm's school wouldn't be closed on MLK day? ;)

seriously though, there seem to be a lot of schools reporting as closed today... shouldn't they have been anyway?

SicEmBaylor
1/15/2007, 12:37 PM
why does it not surprise me that SicEm's school wouldn't be closed on MLK day? ;)

seriously though, there seem to be a lot of schools reporting as closed today... shouldn't they have been anyway?

They close for MLK day now, but they didn't close back when I was a senior.

But, I was referring to the ice storm.......

SicEmBaylor
1/15/2007, 12:38 PM

we're going back out to James Ate Alot......funniest sounding name of the weekend

He's from Tulsa and started out at KOTV. He's a Jim Giles protege.

yermom
1/15/2007, 12:43 PM
They close for MLK day now, but they didn't close back when I was a senior.

But, I was referring to the ice storm.......

i know, but all that scrolling for schools, you'd think they'd be closed anyway

BajaOklahoma
1/15/2007, 01:08 PM

James is an OU alum, huge fan. He posts on another OU board.
He used to be in Tulsa.
On Saturday mornings, when he is between on air time, he posts a lot.

Frozen Sooner
1/15/2007, 01:10 PM
Tulsaweather, right?

Jimminy Crimson
1/15/2007, 01:15 PM
James is an OU alum, huge fan. He posts on another OU board.
He used to be in Tulsa.
On Saturday mornings, when he is between on air time, he posts a lot.

Other OU boards? This concept is foreign to me. :confused:

bluedogok
1/15/2007, 05:26 PM
....or the stations could spend the money for the proper hardware which would allow them to do a screen crawl on HD without having to switch the signal into SD mode.