PDA

View Full Version : Truck Knowledge Possesors

royalfan5
1/15/2007, 09:06 AM
I plan on trading vehicles this spring. One of the options I am looking at is trading for a new truck that will eventually be used extensively in a cattle operation, so my preference is 3/4 ton if I can find a good deal. If not I will settle for 1/2 ton for now, if I decide to get a truck first. If I buy a truck I will probably get a used Buick for daily driving. My initial preference is to look at Ford's, and I am interested in people's experiences with Ford's and other brands of trucks for additional research.

Okla-homey
1/15/2007, 09:27 AM
I plan on trading vehicles this spring. One of the options I am looking at is trading for a new truck that will eventually be used extensively in a cattle operation, so my preference is 3/4 ton if I can find a good deal. If not I will settle for 1/2 ton for now, if I decide to get a truck first. If I buy a truck I will probably get a used Buick for daily driving. My initial preference is to look at Ford's, and I am interested in people's experiences with Ford's and other brands of trucks for additional research.

Ford F-150. Bought new in October 1996. Over 160K miles now. The only thing I've spent money on is tires, battery and brakes. (I prolly need shocks now, but I'm cheap.)

IMHO, you cannot do better than Ford for a full-size p/u. Note, I understand Nissan builds a good full size p/u too.

OUinFLA
1/15/2007, 09:36 AM
Depending on how much you intend to be pulling a trailer, make sure your truck will handle the load.
My Chevy is rated to pull 8500 #'s. I have a trackhoe I move between farms that gives me a trailer weight of 10,000 #'s. I discussed it with my Chevy dealer and he said the towing capacity given by GM is for all across the country. Being as the biggest hill I have to go over is the bridge over the Interstate, he said I would have no problems pulling that weight. So far, he is right.
If you staying out there in the flat country, you probably dont have many mountains to be concerned about as well. But, make sure the truck you are getting will handle the load you intend to pull. Otherwise, you're gonna be paying through the nose for transmission/engine repairs.
Diesel 3/4 tons are generally capable of pulling 14K #'s
Gas 1/2 tons about 8K #'s.

OUinFLA
1/15/2007, 09:41 AM
Oh, and the new Chevy diesel is sweet.
Ive got a friend with a 2005 3/4 ton and the new Duramax diesel.
He popped in a $400 compter chip and is getting 26mpg on the highway without a load.
He does haul a lot of trailers, but mostly he is traveling on the highway a bunch. 120K miles in the past 30 months. So, the computer chip was worthwhile to him.
However, the Duramax adds about 6 grand to the price of the truck. Make sure its a truck you want to keep for a lonnnnnnnnnnnng time.

Newbomb Turk
1/15/2007, 11:26 AM
If I buy a truck I will probably get a used Buick for daily driving.

Buick is an old people car.

;)

Xstnlsooner
1/15/2007, 11:36 AM
Get what you want. EVERYONE has their own opinion and thinks
theirs is the best. We have used GMC at our business for 29
years and all have been good trucks and some great!

Duramax trucks are the bomb. DO NOT get Ford powerstroke
unless they have fixed the problems in the last models. MEGA
transmission problems if you are towing.

Okieflyer
1/15/2007, 12:15 PM
Get what you want. EVERYONE has their own opinion and thinks theirs is the best.

This is true. I have a 1993 Chevy C-1500 with 251K on it now, but I heard the later models weren't as good. So go look and drive.;)

By the way, before anyone (Newbomb) says it, yes it is becoming a enviromental hazard!:O

Newbomb Turk
1/15/2007, 12:30 PM
By the way, before anyone (Newbomb) says it, yes it is becoming a enviromental hazard!:O

that's ok. you're a republican, so I know you don't give a rip about the environment. ;)

Okieflyer
1/15/2007, 12:38 PM
that's ok. you're a republican, so I know you don't give a rip about the environment. ;)
But I do give a rip about Global warming...

...because I'm tired shoveling it off my porch!!!:mad:

Frozen Sooner
1/15/2007, 12:48 PM
Ford F-150. Bought new in October 1996. Over 160K miles now. The only thing I've spent money on is tires, battery and brakes. (I prolly need shocks now, but I'm cheap.)

That's pretty impressive gas mileage.

Okieflyer
1/15/2007, 12:55 PM
That's pretty impressive gas mileage.

The oil companies are going to be p***ed!