PDA

View Full Version : an interesting "good morning..." post...with OU ties

Ike
1/15/2007, 12:56 AM
yeah, I know its nearly the end of the day, but seeing this deserved some recognition here

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,72464-0.html?tw=rss.index

1943: Shannon Lucid, who has logged more time in space than any other woman, is born.

Lucid, the daughter of missionaries, was born in China during World War II and spent her infancy in a Japanese POW camp. After being released, the family came to the United States, returning to China after the war ended. They were forced to leave China for good following the Communist takeover in 1949.

Lucid earned her pilot's license shortly after graduating from high school and received a Ph.D. in biochemistry in 1973 from the University of Oklahoma. She was one of the first to apply when NASA began recruiting women astronauts in the 1970s.

Besides being a crewmember on four shuttle flights, where she logged a combined 836 hours in space, Lucid spent more than six months aboard Mir, the Russian space station, the lone American with two male cosmonauts. She described the conditions as "living in a camper in the back of your pickup with your kids -- when it's raining and no one can get out."

She was NASA's chief scientist from Feb. 2002 to Sept. 2003, before resuming her duties at the Johnson Space Center in Houston.

(Source: NASA/The Center for the Study of Technology and Society)

BajaOklahoma
1/15/2007, 03:27 AM
A belated HB to our Shannon!

OUTromBoNado
1/15/2007, 05:14 AM
There are several famous Oklahomans that have ventured beyond Earth's atmosphere.

OUWxGuesser
1/15/2007, 05:50 AM
I have ventured into the lithosphere....

OUTromBoNado
1/26/2007, 02:37 PM
Thought I would bump this. Nice article on CNN.com about Shannon Lucid.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/space/01/26/shannon.lucid.profile/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

TUSooner
1/26/2007, 04:47 PM
There are several famous Oklahomans that have ventured beyond Earth's atmosphere.

I think dolemite has done it without leaving his room.