PDA

View Full Version : My latest problem

SicEmBaylor
1/14/2007, 09:59 PM
I left the lights on in my truck and now the battery is deadish (the radio will come on but it won't start).

Can someone explain the process by which I "jump start" a car?

TYIA

Mongo
1/14/2007, 10:00 PM
not gonna answer, but giving stars to the thread for the future greatness

Frozen Sooner
1/14/2007, 10:02 PM
Take jumper cables. Take one red clamp and hook it to the positive diode on your battery. Have a friend then hook up the other red clamp to the positive diode on HIS battery. Hook the black clamp to the negative diode on your battery, then have your friend hook the OTHER black clamp to a ground.

Don't touch the clamps together unless you want to see pretty sparks.

Make sure your buddy's car is running.

Wait a few minutes before cranking your engine. However, if your radio is running, it shouldn't take too much time to charge it up. Does your radio dim out when you try to crank it?

Osce0la
1/14/2007, 10:02 PM
jump up and down on the hood, then get in the car, should start right up...

Frozen Sooner
1/14/2007, 10:03 PM
And I'm not even going to make fun of you for being nearly a quarter century old, male, and not knowing how to jump a car.

Maybe a little bit.

royalfan5
1/14/2007, 10:06 PM
The most important thing isn't not to cross the colors. Bad things happen when you do that.

OCUDad
1/14/2007, 10:12 PM
Assuming you survive the process of jump-starting the car, let it run for a while to get some residual charge into the battery. Or drive it around for a few minutes. Take a quick spin to the store to pick up some Zima and tampons.

Frozen Sooner
1/14/2007, 10:14 PM
The most important thing isn't not to cross the colors. Bad things happen when you do that.

Wait a minute. I thought you said crossing the streams was bad. I distinctly remember you saying that.

royalfan5
1/14/2007, 10:16 PM
Wait a minute. I thought you said crossing the streams was bad. I distinctly remember you saying that.
And Mike Rich sees the hanging curveball, and hits it.

BeetDigger
1/14/2007, 10:18 PM
And Sicem, unlike replacing a cable end, there are some potentially bad things that can happen here. Not likely, but the risk for bad things IS higher.

PS - I thought you drove a VW Beetle.

Frozen Sooner
1/14/2007, 10:18 PM
Unfortunately, the Padres seem to have problems with that in the postseason.

In case anyone is keeping score, since 2003 the teams I root for have won exactly ONE post-season event. ONE.

Frozen Sooner
1/14/2007, 10:19 PM
And Sicem, unlike replacing a cable end, there are some potentially hilarious things that can happen here. Not likely, but the risk for singed testicles IS higher.

Fixed that.

I've got five bucks on "Sic 'Em's coming out of this with a toasted wiener."

royalfan5
1/14/2007, 10:21 PM
Unfortunately, the Padres seem to have problems with that in the postseason.

In case anyone is keeping score, since 2003 the teams I root for have won exactly ONE post-season event. ONE.
Try being a fan of the Royals, Clippers, and Nebraska hoops.

OUinFLA
And I'm not even going to make fun of you for being nearly a quarter century old, male, and not knowing how to jump a car.

Maybe a little bit.

uh, Froz...........he doesnt even know how to change a tire.

AAA was created for SicEm.

OCUDad
SicEm: Assuming your wiener is grounded, you can attach the "other" black clamp to that. Good times.

Okla-homey
1/14/2007, 10:22 PM
Surely their must be a girl around Baylor who knows how to jumpstart a dead battery. Find her.

BeetDigger
1/14/2007, 10:24 PM
Surely their must be a girl around Baylor who knows how to jumpstart a dead battery. Find her.

And propose on the spot.

Frozen Sooner
1/14/2007, 10:24 PM
Try being a fan of the Royals, Clippers, and Nebraska hoops.

I'm a Sonics, Chargers, Padres, and OU fan.

One of these things gives me much more joy than the others.

It's gotten so bad I haven't even watched a Sonics game in a couple of years.

SicEmBaylor
1/14/2007, 10:26 PM

Okay, here's the deal. That's exactly what happened.

Neither my roommate nor I really knew how to do this but his girlfriend was over at the house and her brother happens to be an amateur mechanic or some such nonsense and she grabbed up the jumper cable things and did it for us.

Success, this had another anti-climatic ending.

OCUDad
1/14/2007, 10:26 PM
Mike: Condolences on the Lightning Bolts' performance today.

OCUDad
1/14/2007, 10:27 PM

Neither my roommate nor I really knew how to do this but his girlfriend was over at the house and her brother happens to be an amateur mechanic or some such nonsense and she grabbed up the jumper cable things and did it for us.

Success, this had another anti-climatic ending.Hilarious. You just can't make this stuff up.

BeetDigger
1/14/2007, 10:28 PM

Guys with no knowlege about how to fix things should not be roommates. I think that's written down somewhere.

Frozen Sooner
1/14/2007, 10:28 PM
Mike: Condolences on the Lightning Bolts' performance today.

Thanks. I have no idea what got into the Bolts today. Can't really pin it on Martyball-they weren't really playing conservatively, they just weren't playing well. How do you take three separate stops and turn them into drive continuations for the other team and expect to win? You fumble a punt deep in your own territory, you commit a personal foul on third and forever, and then you fumble an interception on fourth down.

Gah.

royalfan5
1/14/2007, 10:29 PM

You don't have to be an amateur mechanic to jump a car, you only have to be as smart as a sack of nickels to pull it off. No offense

sanantoniosooner
1/14/2007, 10:29 PM

Man card.

Give it up.

Frozen Sooner
1/14/2007, 10:31 PM
Sic 'Em gave his man card up a while ago.

I will, however, admit that I rarely change a tire. The car comes with roadside assistance and free tire repair, so when I have had a flat I just call 'em up and make them deal with it while I stay nice and toasty inside.

Okla-homey
1/14/2007, 10:32 PM

Girl Powerrrrrrr!!!

More importantly, did you pay attention? Because, my mechanically challenged friend, you may have to do this again sometime, particularly if that battery was older than four years. When they get older, especially in cold weather, if they are allowed to discharge to the "dead" or "near dead" point, often, they never fully recover.

Mongo
1/14/2007, 10:32 PM
Sic 'Em gave his man card up a while ago.

I will, however, admit that I rarely change a tire. The car comes with roadside assistance and free tire repair, so when I have had a flat I just call 'em up and make them deal with it while I stay nice and toasty inside.

Thats a long flight from Germany

BeetDigger
1/14/2007, 10:36 PM
Sicem - I hope that you at least invited her back in for some fresh baked cookies.

achiro
1/14/2007, 10:37 PM
Guys with no knowlege about how to fix things should not be roommates. I think that's written down somewhere.
It is...in the Bible, the part that says that dude on dude is wrong.;)

tbl
1/14/2007, 10:37 PM
I still say Sicem is the greatest poster in Soonerfans history... Nowhere else can you get such greatness.

I look forward to the "I got a flat and can't figure out how to change it" thread. :D:D:D

SicEmBaylor
1/14/2007, 10:39 PM
I get the sense that this is going to be a long long semester...

Homey: It was a new battery. After she jump started it she advised me to drive around and let the battery charge up a bit so I did.

SicEmBaylor
1/14/2007, 10:41 PM
I still say Sicem is the greatest poster in Soonerfans history... Nowhere else can you get such greatness.

I look forward to the "I got a flat and can't figure out how to change it" thread. :D:D:D

You missed it long long long ago. Basically, I got a flat tire while driving a friend in the SicEm mobile (beetle) when I ran over a curb looking for the music building.

Well, basically neither of us knew how to change a tire. He's from a wealthy Boston family and knows not of such things. Well, I pulled into the parking lot and through some trial and error we changed the tire. The only problem is I called my dad up to brag about figuring out how to change a tire on my own and he asks, "what did you do with the blown tire?" And I said, "oh I just threw it into a ditch."

Apparently, you're suppose to save that because it's still attached to the wheel and that's important.

Vaevictis
1/14/2007, 10:41 PM
It just occurred to me that you might want to ask your parents sometime if they had to do a sex assignment surgery on you as a kid.

Just sayin'.

1stTimeCaller
1/14/2007, 10:44 PM

you mean that you missed the " I got a flat tire and in the process of changing it I threw it away but didn't know that I needed the round metal thing in the middle of the tire (the wheel) until my dad asked me where the wheel was" story. ?

TUSooner
1/14/2007, 10:50 PM
I did that once a long time ago. It was one of those old fashioned batteries with little screw caps over the cells. When I touched the crossed wires, those cute little caps all blew straight up in the air and ricocheted off the hood without even being uscrewed. It wasn't as neat-o as it sounds.

jk the sooner fan
1/14/2007, 10:53 PM
you all missed the funniest part of this:

sic'em: "crap, the truck wont start, the battery is dead......do you know how to jump start it?"
friend: "hell no man, i go to baylor"
sic'em: "wait here, i'm going to go post this on the board, i'll be back in a flash"

tbl
1/14/2007, 10:53 PM
You missed it long long long ago. Basically, I got a flat tire while driving a friend in the SicEm mobile (beetle) when I ran over a curb looking for the music building.

Well, basically neither of us knew how to change a tire. He's from a wealthy Boston family and knows not of such things. Well, I pulled into the parking lot and through some trial and error we changed the tire. The only problem is I called my dad up to brag about figuring out how to change a tire on my own and he asks, "what did you do with the blown tire?" And I said, "oh I just threw it into a ditch."

Apparently, you're suppose to save that because it's still attached to the wheel and that's important.
Too bad I already spek'd you for the original post. Threads like this should cause the SO to come to a standstill, just for the pure awe of what is happening. I love it! :D :D :D :D :D

One question; you say he was from a wealthy Boston family and knew not of such things... What's your reason?

tbl
1/14/2007, 10:54 PM
you all missed the funniest part of this:

sic'em: "crap, the truck wont start, the battery is dead......do you know how to jump start it?"
friend: "hell no man, i go to baylor"
sic'em: "wait here, i'm going to go post this on the board, i'll be back in a flash"
Beautiful image. Beautiful!!!

SicEmBaylor
1/14/2007, 10:56 PM
Too bad I already spek'd you for the original post. Threads like this should cause the SO to come to a standstill, just for the pure awe of what is happening. I love it! :D :D :D :D :D

One question; you say he was from a wealthy Boston family and knew not of such things... What's your reason?

I really don't have one. My dad tried to teach me such things, but in order for me to really care enough to take the time to learn something I have to either be confronted with the problem or have an interest in whatever it is that I'm doing.

I detest physics so I don't exactly go out of my way to learn physics. Same with automotive stuff. I couldn't give a bigger damned about cars other than I drive them and they require gas. Once I'm confronted with the problem though I can pick up on how to fix it or what to do.

Frozen Sooner
1/14/2007, 10:56 PM

You know, I know you're all hard-core Republican and stuff, but couldn't you have figured out something better to do with a ****ing tire than just throw it in a ditch?

Mongo
1/14/2007, 10:58 PM
oil changes too Sicem, do one every now and again, youll be ok

SicEmBaylor
1/14/2007, 10:58 PM
You know, I know you're all hard-core Republican and stuff, but couldn't you have figured out something better to do with a ****ing tire than just throw it in a ditch?

Well, I was in the beetle so it isn't like I could throw it into the bed. I'm not real sure it would have fit in my trunk though I didn't try.

The answer to your question is possibly, but I'm not sure what I would have done with it. To clarify though throwing it into the ditch wasn't my idea it was Doug's.

Frozen Sooner
1/14/2007, 10:59 PM
Ah, screw it. Spek for "Messing with Texas."

royalfan5
1/14/2007, 11:01 PM
Well, I was in the beetle so it isn't like I could throw it into the bed. I'm not real sure it would have fit in my trunk though I didn't try.

The answer to your question is possibly, but I'm not sure what I would have done with it. To clarify though throwing it into the ditch wasn't my idea it was Doug's.
If you have space for a spare tire, I'm guessing you had space to stow you're old tire. Did you're parents never have a flat tire to show you by example?

soonerboomer93
1/14/2007, 11:01 PM
Man card.

Give it up.

He doesn't have to give it up, he didn't give it up a long time ago.

Quite frankly, he was never even issued one

Frozen Sooner
1/14/2007, 11:02 PM
If you have space for a spare tire, I'm guessing you had space to stow you're old tire. Did you're parents never have a flat tire to show you by example?

Shh. Didn't you read his explanation? He didn't want to muss up his chick-wagon.

SicEmBaylor
1/14/2007, 11:04 PM

Well, the bottom part of my trunk lifted up and the spare tire was stored under that which was greater than the size of the actual trunk itself which was on top. Plus, I had to be careful about what I put in the trunk because of the CD changer.

royalfan5
1/14/2007, 11:05 PM
Well, the bottom part of my trunk lifted up and the spare tire was stored under that which was greater than the size of the actual trunk itself which was on top. Plus, I had to be careful about what I put in the trunk because of the CD changer.
I'm betting it would have fit in a position that would allow you to keep the tire. German engineers in general aren't stupid.

SicEmBaylor
1/14/2007, 11:09 PM
I'm betting it would have fit in a position that would allow you to keep the tire. German engineers in general aren't stupid.

Heh, I didn't even consider that until you said it just now. I guess I could have put it where the previous tire was. In fact, that'd make sense wouldn't it?

royalfan5
1/14/2007, 11:10 PM
Heh, I didn't even consider that until you said it just now. I guess I could have put it where the previous tire was. In fact, that'd make sense wouldn't it?
It would.

Frozen Sooner
1/14/2007, 11:11 PM
Pretty much. Plus, you know, you could have likely fixed the tire and not had to buy a new tire. The doughnut is supposed to be a VERY temporary solution. In fact, if you have four wheel or all wheel drive, driving on the doughnut for very long can turn into a quite spendy proposition.

You really need an older brother you can call when **** like this happens, man. Get Dean's phone number or something and call him up when something breaks on the car so he can walk you through things.

SicEmBaylor
1/14/2007, 11:16 PM
Pretty much. Plus, you know, you could have likely fixed the tire and not had to buy a new tire. The doughnut is supposed to be a VERY temporary solution. In fact, if you have four wheel or all wheel drive, driving on the doughnut for very long can turn into a quite spendy proposition.

You really need an older brother you can call when **** like this happens, man. Get Dean's phone number or something and call him up when something breaks on the car so he can walk you through things.

It was a full sized spare.

I bet Dean would though. I met him at a tailgate. Seemed like an easy going guy. ;)

Frozen Sooner
1/14/2007, 11:20 PM
So you had a full-size spare, you took off the old tire, then couldn't figure out that you could just pack the old tire in the space left by the spare-so instead, you just tossed it in a ditch?

Christ, man, wanna hang out and club baby seals?

OCUDad
1/14/2007, 11:27 PM
I'll put $20 on the baby seal to win this one.

1stTimeCaller
1/14/2007, 11:30 PM
we're all gonna hit the campaign trail for SicEm next time he runs for office aren't we?

olevetonahill
1/14/2007, 11:32 PM
It was a full sized spare.

I bet Dean would though. I met him at a tailgate. Seemed like an easy going guy. ;)
Dude
Anytime you have a car prob CALL me , Im gonna walk you thru fixing it (YOU) while drinking Real beer ,that you have paid for , and LMFAO . all the while recording it all for the SO
Oh and Be glad the young lady knew what she was doing , In my 40 something plus years Ive had 2 batteries explode on me . :eek:
that shat can get Nasty

olevetonahill
1/14/2007, 11:33 PM
Bastage you OWE me a beer !:D

sanantoniosooner
1/14/2007, 11:33 PM
Chick with facial hair card.

Give it up.

Mongo
1/14/2007, 11:43 PM

Early into the new year, yet OCUDad comes out strong for post of the year:D .

colleyvillesooner
1/14/2007, 11:44 PM
And Mike Rich sees the hanging curveball, and hits it.

Glad to see someone caught it. Sorry it took 8 mins, I was off the board ;)

Dr. Egon Spengler: There's something very important I forgot to tell you.
Dr. Peter Venkman: What?
Dr. Egon Spengler: Don't cross the streams.
Dr. Peter Venkman: Why?
Dr. Egon Spengler: It would be bad.
Dr. Peter Venkman: I'm fuzzy on the whole good/bad thing. What do you mean, "bad"?
Dr. Egon Spengler: Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.
Dr Ray Stantz: Total protonic reversal.
Dr. Peter Venkman: Right. That's bad. Okay. All right. Important safety tip. Thanks, Egon.

Melo
1/14/2007, 11:46 PM
SicEm: Youre SUCH an attention whore... :rolleyes:

;)

I dont know how to change a tire, either. But its okay for me to just ask dad to do it for me. :D

olevetonahill
1/14/2007, 11:54 PM
Melo > sicem :P

SicEmBaylor
1/14/2007, 11:55 PM
SicEm: Youre SUCH an attention whore... :rolleyes:

;)

I dont know how to change a tire, either. But its okay for me to just ask dad to do it for me. :D

On the contrary, I legitimately look for help around here now. This place is like a treasure trove of experience, worldly knowledge, and ****** *******s.

They actually did help me successfully fix my cable.

OUinFLA
1/14/2007, 11:59 PM
somewhere, some needy college student found this:

http://mizamylou.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/img_0277.JPG

Melo
1/15/2007, 12:04 AM
Melo > sicem :P

I KNEW there was a reason I liked you! :D

Ike
1/15/2007, 12:31 AM
sicem: a few things. First, google is your friend. EVERY SINGLE PROBLEM you post here has a solution that is just a google search away. (but please, continue to post them because they are amusing)

second, in this specific instance, invest in a set of jumper cables that have the instructions written on an attached tag. This way all you have to be able to do to jump your car is to know how to read, follow directions, and pop your hood. you may want to practice that last one a few times.

OCUDad
1/15/2007, 01:33 AM
Better yet, become a physicist. They know everything and they make oodles of money. :D

SicEmBaylor
1/15/2007, 01:38 AM
Better yet, become a physicist. They know everything and they make oodles of money. :D

I couldn't do that. I'd cut my own funding and be broke.

soonerboomer93
1/15/2007, 01:50 AM
sicem: a few things. First, google is your friend. EVERY SINGLE PROBLEM you post here has a solution that is just a google search away. (but please, continue to post them because they are amusing)

second, in this specific instance, invest in a set of jumper cables that have the instructions written on an attached tag. This way all you have to be able to do to jump your car is to know how to read, follow directions, and pop your hood. you may want to practice that last one a few times.

you sure about that last part. This is sic'em and he'd probably lose a finger while closing it. better to not practice for his own safety

olevetonahill
1/15/2007, 03:03 AM

IKE if the boy had that much sense
He WOULDNT HAVE LEFT THE LIGHTS ON IN THE 1ST PLACE :eek: :rolleyes:

bri
1/15/2007, 03:14 AM

In a tragic twist of irony, she was in Branson attending the "Girls Who Are More Capable Than Sic'Em" convention.

Ike
1/15/2007, 04:10 AM
IKE if the boy had that much sense
He WOULDNT HAVE LEFT THE LIGHTS ON IN THE 1ST PLACE :eek: :rolleyes:

not necessarily true...

I leave my lights on almost every time I have to drive with them on during the day...

but I have a sorta-reason for this. see I don't do this in MY car, because my car has the auto-shutoff thing for the lights. so I never have to worry about them. But, as married life does to a guy, I only get to drive my car on the weekends. This is because we live less than 2 miles from my office and more than 10 from the wifes....so since my car is the more safe one, she drives my car to work. I drive hers. her car doesn't have the auto shutoff feature. which means that if I have to turn the lights on during the day on the way to work, I often get out of the car and forget to turn them off.

I've had to jump it twice this winter already :mad:

OUWxGuesser
1/15/2007, 05:54 AM
Watch the battery terminals be corroded to the cables and pull out... whatcha' goin to do now?

Jerk
1/15/2007, 08:24 AM
Holy sh*t on a pogo stick.

Sic'em..

You better graduate, man....

Or as the Irish say, "you're fooked"

(stay away from power tools, heavy machinary, and firearms).

I see a future in middle management for you.

It's okay, I have my moments, too. Learning to urinate between a set of truck duals with Carharts on (and do it the right way w/o taking them off) for some reason was a challenge. Damn, that snow was deep...and cold.

crawfish
1/15/2007, 09:02 AM
You know, I was always a bit embarrassed because *all* I knew how to do was change the fluids & tires. I had friends who could take a car apart and put it back together.

(Of course, I'm with Mike now in that I never do any of that myself anymore. )

jk the sooner fan
1/15/2007, 09:06 AM
in slight defense of sic'em, i grew up with a dad who is the single most "unhandy" man in the universe.....over time i've learned to do a few things myself around the house.......i'm clueless when it comes to cars (although i can jump start one, change the oil and change a flat)

BajaOklahoma
1/15/2007, 09:52 AM
Sic'Em, I worked at the Sears that used to be at Shepard Mall. One of my college summer nobs was working in the car care area. I learned about the different car fluids, batteries and tires. The pay wasn't great, but I learned a lot.

SoonerTerry
1/15/2007, 09:56 AM
I couldn't do that. I'd cut my own funding and be broke.

I cut my funding one time, and I have a funding the size of a fire hydrant....

colleyvillesooner
1/15/2007, 10:12 AM
in slight defense of sic'em, i grew up with a dad who is the single most "unhandy" man in the universe.....over time i've learned to do a few things myself around the house.......i'm clueless when it comes to cars (although i can jump start one, change the oil and change a flat)

Same way. My dad could build stuff, but knew jack about cars.

dolemitesooner
1/15/2007, 10:16 AM

Wow... I am 100% For reallz fool when I sYA THIS

GO SHOOT YOURSELF IN THE HEAD...ITS OVER DONE ....your done

dolemitesooner
1/15/2007, 10:23 AM
You have to be ****ing kidding you have to be. I can not belive you are not just making this **** up.

TexasLidig8r
1/15/2007, 10:39 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/images/300/headache_man2.jpg

Sic.. Sic.. Sic...

Even I, a devotee of hedonistic activites and dipsomania with elan.. know how to "jump a car." Have done it in a tuxedo and after getting a manicure a few hours before... with no smudges to the hands afterwards.

Imagine if you will.. you and the possible future Ms. Sic out on the town.. the Zima is flowing like gentle rain from heaven.. the live music venue you attend is hopping.. the night is full of promise.. she pulls you to the side... puts just the tip of her tongue on your earlobe.. and whispers the joy and carnal delights she wishes to share with you.. you depart the premises... go to your car/truck/tricyle.. turn the key... and nothing. You look her deeply in the eyes and innocently inquire... "Uh... do you know how to jump start a car?"

The future Ms. Sic puckers up... gets a blank look on her face... says.. "uh.. I think I'll take a taxi... to Bransom!" Night and game over.

dolemitesooner
1/15/2007, 10:42 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/images/300/headache_man2.jpg

Sic.. Sic.. Sic...

Even I, a devotee of hedonistic activites and dipsomania with elan.. know how to "jump a car." Have done it in a tuxedo and after getting a manicure a few hours before... with no smudges to the hands afterwards.

Imagine if you will.. you and the possible future Ms. Sic out on the town.. the Zima is flowing like gentle rain from heaven.. the live music venue you attend is hopping.. the night is full of promise.. she pulls you to the side... puts just the tip of her tongue on your earlobe.. and whispers the joy and carnal delights she wishes to share with you.. you depart the premises... go to your car/truck/tricyle.. turn the key... and nothing. You look her deeply in the eyes and innocently inquire... "Uh... do you know how to jump start a car?"

The future Ms. Sic puckers up... gets a blank look on her face... says.. "uh.. I think I'll take a taxi... to Bransom!" Night and game over.I'd Spek you if you were not a hron...but I only neg horns.....Nice comment tho

LoyalFan
1/15/2007, 11:43 AM

Maybe a little bit.

Apparently, that ain't all he has yet to jump. (See: The Great Branson Caper)

Stay warm,

LF

LoyalFan
1/15/2007, 11:46 AM

...this had another anti-climatic ending.

So did The Great Branson Caper, as I recall.

LF

LoyalFan
1/15/2007, 11:48 AM
Fixed that.

I've got five bucks on "Sic 'Em's coming out of this with a toasted wiener."

You nailed it! His roomie just asked...
"Pardon me. Would you have any Grey Poupon(TM)?"

LF

bluedogok
1/15/2007, 12:00 PM
Oh and Be glad the young lady knew what she was doing , In my 40 something plus years Ive had 2 batteries explode on me . :eek:
that shat can get Nasty
I had one blow up in my face, up the sleeve of my coateven though it was hooked up correctly, the battery was bad. I was lucky that I was wearing glasses at the time. Some newer batteries have instructions on the top of the battery on how to jump them.

I grew up with a dad who ran a service station right out of high school back when they did service, the line is drawn at working on automatic transmissions but everything else is fair game. We tried rebuilding an automatic once, they just work off fluid and magic and we learned our lesson.

OUinFLA
1/15/2007, 12:03 PM
I. We tried rebuilding an automatic once, they just work off fluid and magic and we learned our lesson.

true dat.
kinda like jet engines.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/15/2007, 12:07 PM
I left the lights on in my truck and now the battery is deadish (the radio will come on but it won't start).

Can someone explain the process by which I "jump start" a car?

TYIA

You are joking right? Please tell me you haven't gotten almost through Baylor and you have not have to jump a car/truck???

Oldnslo
1/15/2007, 12:07 PM
I am ... astonished. I mean, most of the time, I CHOOSE not to f with changing tires or jumping batteries. But, I've got a set of jumper cables in the trunk of the Bimmer, just in case.

Just in case AAA can't find me.

* I've represented AAA and their insureds for almost 20 years. Of course I use Auto Club's services.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/15/2007, 12:08 PM
somewhere, some needy college student found this:

http://mizamylou.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/img_0277.JPG

Love all the lawyer required warning stickers on the mini-spare...

MamaMia
1/15/2007, 12:11 PM
What do y'all say we stop picking on Sic 'em? He is young and still learning. I'm just guessing but I'll bet he knew how to jump a car all along but its probably been awhile so he just wanted to make sure he didn't do it wrong. :)

Viking Kitten
1/15/2007, 12:32 PM
A true story: My dad, like JK's, was also unhandy. I think he could change a tire, but that was about it. He was very literate and academic, and I loved him dearly, but he was worthless as far as any real work was concerned.

So long about the time I was a teenager, I decided that men who couldn't do basic automotive maintenance were pretty well good for nuthin'. Then one night when I first started dating Czar, we were 19 or so at the time, he asked me to come over and keep him company while he changed his own brake pads. I knew then it was love.

So my no-charge advice to you, Sic 'em, is get yourself to some Waco Vo/Tech and sign up for a class in auto maintenence like, yesterday. Then if you want, go get rich and have the option of paying someone to fix things for you.

jk the sooner fan
1/15/2007, 12:34 PM
i wish i had taken auto shop in high school......i simply hate going to a mechanic and having to pretty much believe everything he says because i have no idea what he's talking about anyway

OUinFLA
1/15/2007, 12:36 PM
A true story: My dad, like JK's, was also unhandy. I think he could change a tire, but that was about it. He was very literate and academic, and I loved him dearly, but he was worthless as far as any real work was concerned.

So long about the time I was a teenager, I decided that men who couldn't do basic automotive maintenance were pretty well good for nuthin'. Then one night when I first started dating Czar, we were 19 or so at the time, he asked me to come over and keep him company while he changed his own brake pads. I knew then it was love.

So my no-charge advice to you, Sic 'em, is get yourself to some Waco Vo/Tech and sign up for a class in auto maintenence like, yesterday. Then if you want, go get rich and have the option of paying someone to fix things for you.

or find you a vo-tech kinda girl who likes Branson