PDA

View Full Version : Snow skiing haver beeners

Mongo
1/14/2007, 08:45 PM
Any of you hillbillies been to Crested Butte, CO? Me and the fam are going there for the first time this spring. Just asking.

1stTimeCaller
1/14/2007, 08:54 PM
listen to some Sonny Bono before you hit the slopes.

Mongo
1/14/2007, 08:55 PM
Or play some ski football like the Kennedy

1stTimeCaller
1/14/2007, 08:56 PM
yes, I recommend that too

crawfish
1/14/2007, 09:28 PM
Crested Butte is a nice resort. Been there a few times - a good mix of easy, medium and hard slopes, and the top end aren't that bad.

olevetonahill
1/14/2007, 09:51 PM
You hit a tree or shat your Dead to me :eek:
have fun dude :D

Mongo
1/14/2007, 09:54 PM
You hit a tree or shat your Dead to me :eek:
have fun dude :D

I am too good to hit a tree;)

I was thinking of showing up to your resort to ski, but I dont want to get herpes and/or the clap from the rental equipment:D

Boarder
1/14/2007, 10:25 PM
I've never been to CB, but I hear good things about it. I'm thinking of trying it next year. From what I hear, it used to be a well kept secret but is now turning into a more touristy place. So, it must be nice.

Have fun.

BeetDigger
1/14/2007, 10:32 PM
Not been to Crested Butte. When I went to college, we got credit for skiing. Six times = A. CB was too far away so we just went to Loveland, cause of the cheapness of it. CB does not get the pressure of the other resorts. It's not Denver drive friendly and it isn't cool like Aspen or Telluride.

Mongo
1/14/2007, 10:36 PM
We went to Winter Park last year. We skied Wednesday and Thursday, it was excellent. Friday and Saturday was packed with all the Denver migrants. Not fun having a preteen cut you off on the slope then yell F U.

sooneron
1/14/2007, 10:38 PM
Crested Butte is teh win. It has a really nice long blue cruiser - I believe it's Treasury. You start at the top at Paradise Bowl. There is a LOT of advanced skiing there. So if you're really good, you won't get bored. Nice bowls, some glades, etc.

1stTimeCaller
1/14/2007, 10:48 PM
I've been there but don't remember too much other than a bar in town called Kacheaver's or something like that. I was 17 and they served me beer, God Bless 'Em.

sooneron
1/14/2007, 10:52 PM
I went to a bar in Gunnison on a HS Church group trip when I was 17. That town rawks!

Mongo
1/14/2007, 10:55 PM
sinner:D

sooneron
1/14/2007, 11:02 PM
Nope, just Episcopal! :D

olevetonahill
1/14/2007, 11:04 PM
We went to Winter Park last year. We skied Wednesday and Thursday, it was excellent. Friday and Saturday was packed with all the Denver migrants. Not fun having a preteen cut you off on the slope then yell F U.
Bastages yell FU at you here they wont do it again , And hell , I put Clorox in the hot tub , to help hold down the stuff that Oral Roberts Might not be able to pray Off .:pop:

olevetonahill
1/14/2007, 11:05 PM
sinner:D
I am
but then somehow, I got to be a pope in some weird assreligion . :eek:

Mongo
1/14/2007, 11:07 PM
I am
but then somehow, I got to be a pope in some weird assreligion . :eek:

You own enough guns and smoke enough weed, some reward is due. Why not Popehood?

1stTimeCaller
1/14/2007, 11:12 PM
If I remember correctly, Billy the Kid left his pistol behind at Kochevar's in Crested Butte back in the day when the law came bustin in.

*edit* it was Butch Cassidy not BtK

Looking for a place to relax and play darts or pool at night? Crested Butte’s oldest saloon and gaming hall is the place to be. Built in 1886, some original furnishings, including a roulette table and coal stove, will make you feel like you are in the old West. Open daily at 11am until 2am. Food is available from Karolina’s Kitchen, and Happy Hour is from 4-7pm daily.

1stTimeCaller
1/14/2007, 11:15 PM
Princess Wine Bar
Overall Crested Butte Bar Nightlife Rating:
"Relax and enjoy a scotch or a glass of fine wine."

you'd probably enjoy this place

soonerboomer93
1/14/2007, 11:21 PM
I thought he only took you to the wine bars?

1stTimeCaller
1/14/2007, 11:27 PM
I thought he only took you to the wine bars?

that mother f****r hasn't taken me anywhere in weeks. That's why he sleeps alone. Well, that and he has a tendency to **** the bed.:D

Mongo
1/14/2007, 11:41 PM
that mother f****r hasn't taken me anywhere in weeks. That's why he sleeps alone. Well, that and he has a tendency to **** the bed.:D

Maybe if you shared the bar tab or the matress/carpet cleaning bill, maybe your *** would get pampered.

Plus, I think you have a thing for semi-famous country singers, why do you always want to go see Ingram?

1stTimeCaller
1/14/2007, 11:43 PM
you have no idea what I'd do to him... I mean Bonnie Bishop, the things I'd do to her. mmmmmmmm

BeetDigger
1/14/2007, 11:54 PM

I find this rather interesting since, having grown up in Colorado, we didn't suffer the non-natives well. I don't think I ever told someone FU, but if they cut me off, I probably did. You can always tell the non-natives as they were the one's with the nicest outfits and the best gear.

olevetonahill
1/14/2007, 11:56 PM
You own enough guns and smoke enough weed, some reward is due. Why not Popehead?
Fixed :D

Mongo
1/14/2007, 11:58 PM
I find this rather interesting since, having grown up in Colorado, we didn't suffer the non-natives well. I don't think I ever told someone FU, but if they cut me off, I probably did. You can always tell the non-natives as they were the one's with the nicest outfits and the best gear.

7 year old ski pants, 5 year old jacket:) . I dont cut people off, I go in a straight line

King Crimson
1/14/2007, 11:59 PM
Crested Butte is a good place to ski. my family had a place there in the 90's and such. Dora's is pretty good mexican food. Wooden Nickel for a solid burger and drinks. CB is much better than Summit County and Vail.

olevetonahill
1/15/2007, 12:02 AM
[QUOTE=Mongo]7 year old ski pants, 5 year old jacket:) . I dont cut people off, I go straight into trees /QUOTE]

:eek:

sooneron
1/15/2007, 12:11 AM
You can't go skiing without this...

http://www.backcountry.com/store/WTC0003/Westcomb-iMirage-IPOD-Compatible-Shell-Jacket-Mens.html?mv_pc=r147&CP=%20NexTag&CMP=SPC-NexTag&ATT=WTC0003-imirageipodcompatibleshellj&GCID=C2000x031&keyword=WTC0003+imirage+ipod+compatible+she

Mongo
1/15/2007, 12:15 AM
You can't go skiing without this...

http://www.backcountry.com/store/WTC0003/Westcomb-iMirage-IPOD-Compatible-Shell-Jacket-Mens.html?mv_pc=r147&CP=%20NexTag&CMP=SPC-NexTag&ATT=WTC0003-imirageipodcompatibleshellj&GCID=C2000x031&keyword=WTC0003+imirage+ipod+compatible+she

I dont want to be known as a non-native with new gear:D

Plus, I dont have an iPod:O

Boarder
1/15/2007, 12:23 AM
Westcomb? You don't want that. You want a Burton iPod jacket or you'll be a poser.

Oh wait, you ski. Never mind go ahead.

sooneron
1/15/2007, 12:29 AM
Yeah, there are no poser knuckle draggers out there. :rolleyes:

soonerboomer93
1/15/2007, 12:36 AM

There are reasons I never learned to ski or snowboard even though I grew up in CO.

1stTimeCaller
1/15/2007, 12:42 AM
There are reasons I never learned to ski or snowboard even though I grew up in CO.

you're retarded?

Mongo
1/15/2007, 12:47 AM
Westcomb? You don't want that. You want a Burton iPod jacket or you'll be a poser.

Oh wait, you ski. Never mind go ahead.

Only stoners, hippies, and aging hipsters snowboard. Which are you?

Skiing is for the classy traditionalist, who does not want to waste a trip busting his *** learning how to snowboard. I really want to learn, cause I heard it is easy on the knees, but I will play through pain to enjoy my ski trips.

Mongo
1/15/2007, 12:50 AM

I bet you are an Eric Harris or a Dylan Klebold type.

olevetonahill
1/15/2007, 12:55 AM
Only stoners, hippies, and aging hipsters snowboard. Which are you?

Skiing is for the classy traditionalist, who does not want to waste a trip busting his *** learning how to snowboard. I really want to learn, cause I heard it is easy on the knees, but I will play through pain to enjoy my ski trips.
Im all the above ! are you dissin ME :D
Oh wait I dont snowboard either :eek:

Ash
1/15/2007, 01:43 AM
I've been to the Crusty Butt and G-spot many times. Good places if you don't mind the trustafarian wanna be hippies.

Beautiful country and good skiing.

Speaking of scotch...at the local brew pub in Gunnison, once ordered a scotch double, and they served me a pint of scotch! Needless to say, I felt obliged to drink the damn thing...:)

TopDawg
1/15/2007, 01:54 AM
I've never been to CB. This year me and my ski friends are going to Steamboat. Anybody ever been there?

Last year we went to Breck. We go in early Feb. so it's not quite as crowded. I spent most of my time on their newest peak which is all blues. I prefer blues because I'd rather go fast than bounce from mogul to mogul. There was never any wait at the lift at the bottom, but it is the northern-most peak and the wind was BITING on that lift once you cleared the treeline.

Anyway, this year it's Steamboat and I'm thinking about trading out the skis for a board. For one day anyway. Thoughts?

soonerboomer93
1/15/2007, 02:05 AM
you're retarded?

Besides that

It was always just a pain in the *** going into the mountian in the winter and dealing with all the ****tards from cali and texas on ski vacations...

Rhino
1/15/2007, 09:25 AM
Never been to CB during the winter, but have been there plenty during the summer.

It used to be a fairly quiet place, but now (even in the summertime) it's filled with a bunch of yuppies. The town has expanded about 10 times over in the past 20 years.

BeetDigger
1/15/2007, 09:59 AM

It's just funny how the natives are tired of the touristas and their funny habits. Now I get to hear from the tourista side and how they don't like the natives and their habits.

BeetDigger
1/15/2007, 10:04 AM
7 year old ski pants, 5 year old jacket:) . I dont cut people off, I go in a straight line

Ski pants and a ski jacket? Who can afford those fancy, schmancy luxuries? I was lucky to have blue jeans treated with water repellent to ski in.

Mongo
1/15/2007, 10:17 AM
Ski pants and a ski jacket? Who can afford those fancy, schmancy luxuries? I was lucky to have blue jeans treated with water repellent to ski in.

Scotch gaurded jeans with boot gators were all the rage when I was a youngun. Now that my size has leveled off, why not treat myself

Partial Qualifier
1/15/2007, 10:19 AM
I've never been to CB, but I hear good things about it. I'm thinking of trying it next year. From what I hear, it used to be a well kept secret but is now turning into a more touristy place. So, it must be nice.

Have fun.

I haven't been to CB since the 80's and it was pretty touristy back then. It's good overall, but it's awesome for beginners. It's got a perfect "bunny" learning slope and a seriously long-*** green slope (houston)... maybe the longest green slope ever.

have fun :)

Partial Qualifier
1/15/2007, 10:27 AM
I've never been to CB. This year me and my ski friends are going to Steamboat. Anybody ever been there?

Last year we went to Breck. We go in early Feb. so it's not quite as crowded. I spent most of my time on their newest peak which is all blues. I prefer blues because I'd rather go fast than bounce from mogul to mogul. There was never any wait at the lift at the bottom, but it is the northern-most peak and the wind was BITING on that lift once you cleared the treeline.

Anyway, this year it's Steamboat and I'm thinking about trading out the skis for a board. For one day anyway. Thoughts?

Tried Breckenridge a few years ago and loved it. We also went that first week in Feb. and had the whole mountain to ourselves. Awesome food in town, too. Every place we went was really good.

If you only have one day to try boarding, I would not recommend it because it'll take more than one day's practice to have any fun at all. You'll spend pretty much all of that first day on your butt.

If you want to try boarding, just commit to all 5 days or however long your trip is. Breckenridge was the place to try boarding.. two nice boarding parks there

BeetDigger
1/15/2007, 11:34 AM
Scotch gaurded jeans with boot gators were all the rage when I was a youngun. Now that my size has leveled off, why not treat myself

That young'un who cut you off probably can't wait till the day his size levels off and he has a ski pants and a ski jacket.

Just saying - most folks who zip past and yell stuff don't go out of their way to do it. Most of the time, they are going down and a person in front of them does something unexpected and they have to quickly manuever out of the way. It happens. And in the heat of the moment, they yell stuff.

I was just pointing out that the Denverites don't tolerate the touristas just as much as the touristas don't tolerate the Denverites. And the Denverites HAVE to ski on the weekends, they spend their vacation time in Florida and California. :D

Mongo
1/15/2007, 11:39 AM
I know about saying stuff to others, it was just funny hearing a 12 or 13 year old yelling FU. I know poo happens on the slope, I probably have caused it, as others have caused it to me, but it is still a blast.

That kid just reminded me of me:D

If I was in CO, I would ski as much as possible, I am jealous of the mountains

Boarder
1/15/2007, 11:42 AM
Which are you?

Ummm, yes? :cool:
Snow Skiing to snowboarding is pretty close, unlike waterskiing to wakeboarding. I actually considered skiing one day, but I have all the snowboard equipment and didn't want to rent.

Breckenridge actually has 5 parks. It's great. The smaller ones are really fun to learn jumping on.

But, it's getting REALLY expensive. We got tickets at a King Soopers in Denver, which is the best deal, and they were still $78 per day. Loveland was $52 (I think) when we went there one day. Copper is about the same. With the Breckenridge ticket you also get to go to Keystone and A-Basin (or Vail and Beaver Creek one day), but still, it's geting outrageous.

Mongo
1/15/2007, 11:45 AM
Snow Skiing to snowboarding is pretty close, unlike waterskiing to wakeboarding. I actually considered skiing one day, but I have all the snowboard equipment and didn't want to rent.

Breckenridge actually has 5 parks. It's great. The smaller ones are really fun to learn jumping on.

But, it's getting REALLY expensive. We got tickets at a King Soopers in Denver, which is the best deal, and they were still $78 per day. Loveland was $52 (I think) when we went there one day. Copper is about the same. With the Breckenridge ticket you also get to go to Keystone and A-Basin (or Vail and Beaver Creek one day), but still, it's geting outrageous.

I've been to the area, but never skied Loveland. Copper is the best in my opinion. Oh, and Keystone night skiing is overrated, accidentally wound up in Area 51 and then on my ***.

skycat
1/15/2007, 11:52 AM
I've been to the area, but never skied Loveland. Copper is the best in my opinion. Oh, and Keystone night skiing is overrated, accidentally wound up in Area 51 and then on my ***.

Keystone = plates in skycat's head

Mongo
1/15/2007, 11:57 AM
Keystone = plates in skycat's head

When a microwave is on, do you p!ss your pants and forget who you are for fifteen minutes?

Seriously, how did you pull that off?

We had a buddy that took a jump and he fell about 4 feet directly on his butt. Had to get carried down by the patrol. In the ER, they took photos of his pelvis, and he had hairline fractures. Plus all the nurses were laughing, as were we, cause you could tell which way his manhood curved from the X-ray.:D

Partial Qualifier
1/15/2007, 12:03 PM

Curious; do you agree with me on the "1-day to try boarding = not enough time" deal? I tried for an afternoon and for me, that wasn't enough time. My best guess was that if I stuck with it, after day 2, it might be as fun or more fun than skiing. It was a lot of work but I saw some guys making it look easy, so who knows

skycat
1/15/2007, 12:16 PM
When a microwave is on, do you p!ss your pants and forget who you are for fifteen minutes?

Seriously, how did you pull that off?

We had a buddy that took a jump and he fell about 4 feet directly on his butt. Had to get carried down by the patrol. In the ER, they took photos of his pelvis, and he had hairline fractures. Plus all the nurses were laughing, as were we, cause you could tell which way his manhood curved from the X-ray.:D

To properly tell the story would require more time than I have right now.

Suffice it to say that I skied most of way down the mountain with nerve damage to my face, a messed up jaw, and several fractures in my left orbital bones.

The cool part is when I went to blow my nose and a giant air bubble formed under my left eye. It kinda felt like my eye was going to pop right out of the socket. The look on my buddies face was priceless.:eek:

RFH Shakes
1/15/2007, 12:21 PM
CB Trail Map (http://www.skicb.com/page.php?pname=winter/mountain/map)

I recommend East River, Teocalli, Paradise and Twister Lifts(get drunk at the ice bar). You'll get plenty of skiing in if you stay away from the base as much as possible. Also they added a new lift last year called prospect lift. Fun spot not alot of people on it (the run is a little short though)plus you get to ski through a tunnel.

I'll be heading there in 9 days. Wooooohooooo!

Cam
1/15/2007, 12:24 PM
We're going to Keystone next week. I'm going to try snowboarding this time around. Taking lessons on Monday, and if my leg's up to it, will snowboard the rest of the week. I'll let you know how it goes.

Big Red Ron
1/15/2007, 12:29 PM
CB is cool!

Winter Frickin Park might as well be in Montana. ;)

For the best skiing in Colorado, I suggest; Breckenridge, Keystone and Vail. Breck has the best nightlife and Keystone the best mountain. IMHO

OKC-SLC
1/15/2007, 12:29 PM
Next time you hosers plan a ski trip, go to Utah.

-4 sweet-azz resorts 25 minutes from the airport; park city 45 minutes away with more if you're into that scene

-best snow in the world (read any ski magazine's ratings)

-fewer tourists; fewer locals

-cheaper

You're welcome

Big Red Ron
1/15/2007, 12:33 PM
Next time you hosers plan a ski trip, go to Utah.

-4 sweet-azz resorts 25 minutes from the airport; park city 45 minutes away with more if you're into that scene

-best snow in the world (read any ski magazine's ratings)

-fewer tourists; fewer locals

-cheaper

You're welcomeIt's cool but still not on par with the towns I mentioned above. Also, can't drive there.

If money is no object. Go to South Lake Tahoe. Skiing during the day, poker at night. ;)

OKC-SLC
1/15/2007, 12:46 PM
It's cool but still not on par with the towns I mentioned above. Also, can't drive there.

If money is no object. Go to South Lake Tahoe. Skiing during the day, poker at night. ;)
For night life at the resorts, the 4 local places in Salt Lake do not compare to the Colorado places. But Park City is pretty sweet for such.

Cam
1/15/2007, 12:50 PM
Have skied both Heavenly (twice) and Alta. I'd take Alta any day of the week. Absolutely loved it. Last year we went to Jackson Hole. We're just not good enough for that mountain, nor rich enough to make it a regular place to play.

We try to hit a new place every year. Went to Heavenly pre and post gondola. Boy does that make a hell of a difference.

skycat
1/15/2007, 12:50 PM
Every time I go skiing the group I'm with is all, "Let's got do the nightlife thing this time!"

And then every time we start skiing when the lifts open, go until they close, and then get back to our room and crash.

Boarder
1/15/2007, 12:52 PM
Yes, you need to take an entire day lesson at the least. Of course it depends on your background. If you skateboard or wakeboard and have the concept of edging down it's not as hard and you pick it up faster. If not, you may struggle. It's fun once you get it, though. I think skiing is easier to learn for most people. the boots suck, though. :D

Yeah, the drive to Utah kind of puts it out for me.

Breckenridge is the best. What do they not have? They have easy runs, hard runs, bowls with lifts, fast lifts, slow lifts, big parks, small parks, great town, tons of lodging, great food, backcountry type powder runs, mogul runs, tons of blues, tons of greens, tons of blacks. They have it all. There's no reason to go anywhere else.

Even when the lift lines are long they go pretty fast.

Have fun Cam. Your quads will love it.

Loveland is small. It would be fun but they needed a little powder. Boarding down that sheer face at the top was kind of interesting. Thier park was kind of sucky.

Big Red Ron
1/15/2007, 01:08 PM
For night life at the resorts, the 4 local places in Salt Lake do not compare to the Colorado places. But Park City is pretty sweet for such.HUH??? Squaw Valley held the Winter Olympics and Tahoe is awsome. Non of which are in Salt Lake.

sooneron
1/15/2007, 01:12 PM
Best skiing of my life - Utah

Most overrated - Cortina

Most crowded - Vail (even the bowls) and Mt Snow/Killington

Coldest - Stowe

TopDawg
1/15/2007, 01:34 PM
Yeah, the town of Breck is pretty cool. We had great food everywhere we went. Best service (althought it was really slow) was at some place with Angel in the name. I had the fish tacos. The food was good, but the manager was awesome. It was a small little dive, but it was kinda packed that night. Guy comes over and says "what can I get y'all to drink." BlindCajun says "Do you have Dr. Pepper or Coke." Guys says "I don't know, I don't work here."

He was a friend of the manager and was just helping him get out of the weeds. At any rate, after things settled down the manager came over and BS'ed with us for a while. Funny guy.

But the best/most original dish I had was the mango duck quesadillas at one of the mexican restaurants in this shopping center.

ANYWAY...from what I've heard from one or two others I've asked, they say the same thing as you PQ. We'll be skiing for 3 days. I think I'm gonna try boarding the first day, and from what I've heard it'll be awful. But if there's light at the end of the tunnel, I'll probably stick with it. If not, I'll go back to skiing for the last two days.

OKC-SLC
1/15/2007, 01:50 PM
HUH??? Squaw Valley held the Winter Olympics and Tahoe is awsome. Non of which are in Salt Lake.
I don't understand your post.

Deer Valley (in Park City) held the olympics; Park City has a nightlife. The 4 resorts just outside of SLC don't have as much to do at night.

For true skiing, the places just outside of SLC are better than Park City (the better side of the mountain). For things to do afterward, Park City is better.

Petro-Sooner
1/15/2007, 02:02 PM
Visited CB this past summer. Was camping at the time along some river between Gunnison and CB. Very pretty. Would love to live in CO if it wasnt for all the hippies.

Boarder
1/15/2007, 04:15 PM
If you go to Breckenridge, there are a lot of good food places. The Mexian place with the Mango duck quesadillas is called Mi Casa, I think. It's across from the Village at Breckenridge right off Main Street.

Also try Rasta Pasta.

BlondeSoonerGirl
1/15/2007, 04:16 PM
If you go to Breckenridge, there are a lot of good food places. The Mexian place with the Mango duck quesadillas is called Mi Casa, I think. It's across from the Village at Breckenridge right off Main Street.

Also try Rasta Pasta.

Yes, it is.

And word.

King Crimson
1/15/2007, 04:27 PM
Visited CB this past summer. Was camping at the time along some river between Gunnison and CB. Very pretty. Would love to live in CO if it wasnt for all the hippies.

Colorado was one of the 2 or 3 states that Bob Dole won in 96...and has a Klan history. so, yeah, hippies.

Petro-Sooner
1/15/2007, 04:37 PM
Yeah, my bad, Boulder, CB and all other towns I visited, they werent hippies. They were conservative baptists. :rolleyes:

King Crimson
1/15/2007, 04:47 PM
Yeah, my bad, Boulder, CB and all other towns I visited, they werent hippies. They were conservative baptists. :rolleyes:

i guess when every one is just like you, you'll be happy.

fact remains: Bob Dole won Colorado as did Bush both times. and the Klan has a history in Colorado. y0ou wanna dispute it, go ahead.

that's all i posted.

royalfan5
1/15/2007, 04:51 PM

fact remains: Bob Dole won Colorado as did Bush both times. and the Klan has a history in Colorado. y0ou wanna dispute it, go ahead.

that's all i posted.
Don't forget James Dobson and focus on the family.

RFH Shakes
1/15/2007, 05:13 PM

that's all i posted.

Everyone knows that hippies don't vote.

soonerboomer93
1/15/2007, 05:23 PM

don't judge colorado based off the ****tards in either boulder or colorado springs (the 2 are basically polar opposites)

1stTimeCaller
1/15/2007, 06:51 PM
I base my views of Denver folk from living in Denver.

Anyhoo, I'm a fan of taking the train from Denver to Winter Park. It's awesome.

TheBobbyTrain
1/15/2007, 08:25 PM
I just got back from skiing Copper Mountain. It's only a few minutes away from Breckenridge but apparently a helluva lot cheaper. I had a 4 day lift pass for $149 and had a hotel that I could literally ski right up to the door. The night life there sucked, probably because I was there mid-week but the restaurants were good and the skiing was awesome. I would recommend it to anyone on a budget.

King Crimson
1/15/2007, 08:42 PM
Copper is a great ski mountain. it and A-basin are teh best skiing in Summit County.

Mongo
1/15/2007, 08:45 PM
Copper is a great ski mountain. it and A-basin are teh best skiing in Summit County.

As a non-native, I agree.

For some reason, the lift system at Keystone and Breck blow. Maybe things have changed in 4 years, but I remember the lack of quality lifts.

sooneron
1/15/2007, 10:34 PM
Concur on Copper. It's the best in the area.

Boarder
1/15/2007, 11:09 PM
Copper was like $3 less than Breckenridge on tickets. You must have gone with some sort of package to get a $149 deal. That was a steal. I really liked Copper, but there's no town (well, Frisco is a couple of miles away). Breckenridge has a really cool town.

Breckenridge is always super busy and i never had to wait a really long time in a lift line. They have tons of them and they move right along. I haven't been to Keystone.

Mongo
1/15/2007, 11:20 PM
Breckenridge is great skiing, dont get me wrong. But go to Winter Park or Copper, you will tell a big diff in the lift system. Plenty of High speed quads to get you to the top of the mountain.

Keystone aint bad either, but all mountains do not face the front of the base village. If you are on the backside of the back mountains, you will have to ski, lift, ski, lift, ski, lift just to get to the front facing slopes.

My ski thread has more replys than my ****ting the bed thread. I guess yall ski more than yall accidentally **** your pants, or all of yall are liars:D

skycat
1/15/2007, 11:28 PM
It's pretty easy to get a place slopeside at Copper for a reasonable price. I'm a big fan of that.

BeetDigger
1/15/2007, 11:47 PM
For nubes on the slopes, I highly recommend Loveland. It's inexpensive, usually not crowded and great for begginners. Absolutely no frills however. Those other Summit County resorts were too hoity toity for poor college kids.

soonerboomer93
1/15/2007, 11:53 PM
but the **** yourself thread was much funnier

TopDawg
1/16/2007, 12:27 AM
Yeah, Mi Casa. Did you have the mango duck quesadillas? Both times I've been there I've been the only person at the table brave enough to try them, but everybody else liked 'em. (I was only able to eat 3 of the 4 slices and the table shared the 4th).

There are too many good restaurants in Breck to take them all in during one trip.

We didn't make it to Rasta Pasta, much to my dismay. Salt Creek was a pretty decent place. Extreme Pizza had some tasty stuff, but the pizza at Giampietro was delish. I don't see that place with the cool manager on the Breck dining guide.

Also, the Daylight Donuts there is really tasty too.

Boarder
1/16/2007, 12:49 AM
We went to Mi Casa twice. I got the burrito once and enchilada the other. Both were excellent. The burrito was the best, though.

At Rasta Pasta I can't remember what I got but it was good. Something with shrimp and I substituted chicken. Spicy something. Delicious.

We went to Fatty's Pizza one night and I got a reuben. it was OK. No one was super pumped about that place. Just OK.

Giampetros was too tiny and was going to be two hours for our group.

We also went to Breckenridge Brewery. I had a burger Las Vegas style with an onion ring on it. Great. They had a seasonal vanilla porter. Excellent.

Mrs SB waited for a while for a crepe at the crepe stand but got too cold.

TheBobbyTrain
1/16/2007, 01:32 AM
I got the $149 4 day lift pass because I got it about 2 months before the trip was scheduled and they were running a special deal. We got the hotel that was 100 feet from the lift on hotels.com.

Big Red Ron
1/16/2007, 08:59 AM
I don't understand your post.

Deer Valley (in Park City) held the olympics; Park City has a nightlife. The 4 resorts just outside of SLC don't have as much to do at night.

For true skiing, the places just outside of SLC are better than Park City (the better side of the mountain). For things to do afterward, Park City is better.you must have misunderstood me. I said South Lake Tahoe not Salt Lake City.

Yah know Casinos at the base of the mountain.

Big Red Ron
1/16/2007, 09:06 AM
Also, Breck has the highest chair lift in North America that takes you right to the bowls...effin awsome.

Classic Breck party spot..."downstairs at erics." Eric still hangs out everyday and has been in the same spot for 20+ years.

Partial Qualifier
1/16/2007, 11:17 AM
Giampietro's pizza for teh win. Their cinnamon gelato was surprisingly good.

Columbine Cafe for breffast.... the best breakfast burritos ever.

You guys are making me hungry

OSUAggie
1/16/2007, 11:18 AM
I believe Durango is the best town in Colorado. The fact that nobody has mentioned it yet makes my belief stronger.

8timechamps
1/16/2007, 11:26 AM
Alright, here's the deal:

It's a great place for folks just learning to ski, or for intermediate skiing. If you are a serious skier, it's not ideal. The best part about CB is the layout. It offers a good variety of runs, and the town is pretty nice. All is all, it's a good place to go if you are spending a week or so.

In the future, try te Summit. You can find a central place to stay and have a ton of skiing options.

8timechamps
1/16/2007, 11:27 AM
I believe Durango is the best town in Colorado. The fact that nobody has mentioned it yet makes my belief stronger.

If by town, you mean snowy grave, then you are correct.

8timechamps
1/16/2007, 11:29 AM
For nubes on the slopes, I highly recommend Loveland. It's inexpensive, usually not crowded and great for begginners. Absolutely no frills however. Those other Summit County resorts were too hoity toity for poor college kids.

Don't forget to mention that you'll lose the first layer of any exposed skin to the high winds.

Big Red Ron
1/16/2007, 12:29 PM

It's a great place for folks just learning to ski, or for intermediate skiing. If you are a serious skier, it's not ideal. The best part about CB is the layout. It offers a good variety of runs, and the town is pretty nice. All is all, it's a good place to go if you are spending a week or so.

In the future, try te Summit. You can find a central place to stay and have a ton of skiing options.Exactly. Summit County is teh shiznit.

Oh and Aggie, Durango isn't even top ten in Colorado. Sorry.

BeetDigger
1/16/2007, 12:36 PM
Don't forget to mention that you'll lose the first layer of any exposed skin to the high winds.

If you ski the bowls, yes. Although, it's worth it to ski down and see the cars going into the Ike Tunnel.

sooneron
1/16/2007, 01:22 PM

In the future, try te Summit. You can find a central place to stay and have a ton of skiing options.
How can it not be ideal for advanced seeing as how they hold the extreme ski champs there? The very top of that place is hella badass.

Big Red Ron
1/16/2007, 01:27 PM
How can it not be ideal for advanced seeing as how they hold the extreme ski champs there? Quantity and variety.

TopDawg
1/16/2007, 01:28 PM
What level do most of you all ski at?

Big Red Ron
1/16/2007, 01:32 PM
What level do most of you all ski at?I just bought a pair of K2 Fugitive half pipe skis if that tells you anything.

:D

sooneron
1/16/2007, 01:35 PM
Int/adv

I would say that I was purely advanced til I took 3 years off. In 98, There was no run that I wouldn't attempt.

BeetDigger
1/16/2007, 01:43 PM
That's advanced intermediate. An advanced skiier says that there is no run that they couldn't do. :D

8timechamps
1/16/2007, 03:41 PM
How can it not be ideal for advanced seeing as how they hold the extreme ski champs there? The very top of that place is hella badass.

I don't know how often you ski, but for a regular skier looking to find challenging runs (or bumps), CB is not on the top 5 list. I'd ski Breck, Mary Jane or (dare I say) Copper a hundred times before going to CB.

Don't get me wrong, CB is a great resort, and maybe it's because I am so much closer to Summit, but I'd much rather hit Mary Jane and be home in time for dinner.

OKC-SLC
1/16/2007, 09:55 PM
you must have misunderstood me. I said South Lake Tahoe not Salt Lake City.

Yah know Casinos at the base of the mountain.
heh.

yeah, I'm gonna have to give the casino edge to Tahoe over Salt Lake.

I would like to ski tahoe sometime; i hear great things about the snow.

1stTimeCaller
1/16/2007, 10:00 PM

between .10 and .175. I try not to get too drunk on the slopes.

I like to do blues. Anything to keep me from poleing and I really don't like steep moguls anymore. I like to cruise around and maybe hit a jump and catch about 6" of air if I hit it right.

Whatever level that would make me. Novice I guess.

Cam
1/16/2007, 10:04 PM
heh.

yeah, I'm gonna have to give the casino edge to Tahoe over Salt Lake.

I would like to ski tahoe sometime; i hear great things about the snow.
The snow at Tahoe is nowhere near the quality at Alta. If you could combine the two, it'd be supa sweet.

Cam
1/16/2007, 10:06 PM
The town ain't bad. The skiing is at the bottom of the list of places we've been, by a long shot.

Then there's the fact that it's shorthorn infested. That's worth 3 strikes by itself.

TopDawg
1/16/2007, 10:07 PM
I like to do blues. Anything to keep me from poleing and I really don't like steep moguls anymore. I like to cruise around and maybe hit a jump and catch about 6" of air if I hit it right.

Whatever level that would make me. Novice I guess.

Same here. I went skiing 3 times in high school, but then took about 10 years off. This will be my second year in a row. Blues are my favorite because I just like to go fast. If I can find a blue/black or black that's not crowded and doesn't have moguls all the way down, I'll try it...but those ain't easy to come by. There's nothing fun to me about jumping from mogul to mogul...and, in my case, falling most of the time. I'd much rather tuck and go.

I just bought a pair of K2 Fugitive half pipe skis if that tells you anything.

It tells me that you're probably a better skier than me.

Mongo
1/16/2007, 10:07 PM
6" if I hit it right.

Youd have to do her twice.

I have skied green to dub black, but nothing beats a great blue. Plus while getting the bindings set to a certain skill level, I tell them advanced. This helps in preventing a yard sale, and having to chase the ski a 1/4 mile downhill.

TopDawg
1/16/2007, 10:15 PM
That peak I was talking about earlier at Breck was Peak 7 which is at the far right of
this map (http://breckenridge.snow.com/media/swf/trailmap/2006-07_Trailmap.jpg).

Pioneer and Wirepatch were my two favorite because you'd kinda start out at the top winding through the trees and then hit a nice wide open uncrowded blue. The cool thing about all 4 of those on the far left is that they all emptied into a steep finish coming right down to the lift. But Pioneer was about that way the whole way down.

The sucky part was that there wasn't a lift to that peak so you had to take a lift on another peak and pole over to 7. Which is why it wasn't too crowded I guess.

At any rate, when you were through with 7, Northstar was one helluva way to get to the bottom. It was steep and wide open and didn't really have any resting spots until you got about 3/4ths of the way down.

1stTimeCaller
1/16/2007, 10:22 PM
I was about 10 or 11 the first time I went. I've probably only been 10 times since. One thing I've noticed is that I'm much more careful nowadays than when I was a kid. I'd go with the church group and some of us would get to the edge of the dbl blks and then point em straight downhill and see who could stay up the longest. the last time I went, some runs would take me damn near an hour to get down because I'd go downhill about 3 feet and then go straight across, 3 feet then to the tree line, repeat until I would get to the bottom.

I'm just too out of shape and only having one ACL doesn't help much either.

Cam
1/16/2007, 11:07 PM
I'm probably high intermediate (6/7) on skis. I too like the un-moguled black runs and going fast. I usually try a mogul run or two per trip but mainly stick to blues. I also try to catch some air at the jump parks. Don't get but a couple of feet off the ground, but it's pretty damn cool.

Didn't start skiing until I was 29. Never could afford it growing up. I've only been 5 times, but we go for 5 days at a time. We fly in on Sunday and fly out the following Saturday so that we miss the biggest crowds.

We're supposed to fly to Denver Sunday, so who knows if that's going to happen or not.

OKC-SLC
1/16/2007, 11:36 PM
and only having one ACL doesn't help much either.
Suck it.

--J. White

OKC-SLC
1/16/2007, 11:39 PM
The snow at Tahoe is nowhere near the quality at Alta. If you could combine the two, it'd be supa sweet.
Well, Alta unfortunately has spoiled me...I skiied there a bunch between 2003 and 2006. I'm afraid i'll be disappointed in the snow most anywhere I go.

8timechamps
1/16/2007, 11:45 PM
I try not to get too drunk...and catch...a...6"...hit.

homo

1stTimeCaller
1/17/2007, 12:13 AM
You're thinking of JohnnyMack.

OKC-SLC
1/17/2007, 12:28 AM
homo
good stuff.

Mongo
3/25/2007, 04:52 PM
Just got back from Crested Butte. Great area to take a vacation. The snow was pretty terrible though. Worst snowfall in decades.

The Ice Bar is a great place on the slopes. Ate at a few places, but The Slogar takes the cake.

Keep prayers for my pops. He and my bro collided and it turned out bad. Pops dislocated his hip and blew out his knee, again for the 100th time.

SoonerBorn68
3/25/2007, 05:03 PM
Holy crap dude! I hope you had a better time than pop & bro.

Mongo
3/25/2007, 05:05 PM
Holy crap dude! I hope you had a better time than pop & bro.

The bro is fine, the pops got the raw end of it. Afraid he might have to have a total knee replacement.