PDA

View Full Version : GHP or other Orchestra knowledgeable people

sanantoniosooner
1/14/2007, 07:32 PM
Do you have any experience with China import instruments?

My son has one provided by the school for a minimal fee, but I thought about trying out one of these instead of renting. If my son stays serious about it, we would probably invest in a nice one down the road, but at this price, I'm considering giving this place a shot.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ebony-Solid-Wood-Flamed-4-4-Cello-2-Cases-2Sets-Strings_W0QQitemZ270078683948QQihZ017QQcategoryZ10 178QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

oklaclarinet
1/14/2007, 07:48 PM
I am a band director so I don't really have much experience in the way of strings, but I do know as far as band instruments go, instruments imported from many of these places tend to be of a lesser quality. Then when they break, no repairmen in the US will work on them because the parts aren't compatable. This has been a major issue with some instruments Wal-Mart sells, as they are imported from Korea.

(Oh no. Now Wal-Mart is going to sue me because I said they sell bad instruments.)

Now, that being said, I have no familiarity with this company, so they really could be ok instruments. I just would say buyer beware, especially because if anything does break, for any reason, there is a greater likelihood that it can't be fixed or fixed easily.

Newbomb Turk
1/14/2007, 09:07 PM
I am a band director so I don't really have much experience in the way of strings, but I do know as far as band instruments go, instruments imported from many of these places tend to be of a lesser quality.

darn it - I bought my kid a Yamaha Cornet. Imported POS.

PrideTrombone
1/14/2007, 09:16 PM

Yamaha's are generally fine.

With musical instruments, you definitely tend to get what you pay for, especially where beginner instruments are concerned. I'd say if it seems to good to be true, it probably is. Might be a balsa-wood cello or something. :)

oklaclarinet
1/14/2007, 09:17 PM
Notice I was careful to say many of these places, not all. Yes, there are good imported instruments, as long as you stick to the major companies with long standing reputations. My warning was referring to cheaply made off-brand instruments that largely come from overseas, and usually from less industrialized locations.

sanantoniosooner
1/14/2007, 10:16 PM
Might be a balsa-wood cello or something. :)
If you read the add, it's made out of the same stuff the $2000 ones are.

# Solid Hand Carved Spruce Top

# Highly Flamed Solid Hand Carved Maple Back, Neck and Sides

# Beautiful Inlaid Purfing(Not Painted)

# Beautiful Golden Brown Finish
# Ebony Fingerboard, Pegs, Fittings & Endpin

JaxSooner
1/14/2007, 11:27 PM
If you read the add, it's made out of the same stuff the $2000 ones are.

Well, it MUST be a sweet instrument, then. It's on ebay, after all...

If you're dumb enough to pay that much for a cello, I'd love to see your wife's 2 carat "diamond" ring.

Let me guess, the guy at the pawn shop said it was "made out of the same stuff the $2000 ones are..."

sanantoniosooner
1/14/2007, 11:31 PM
Well, it MUST be a sweet instrument, then. It's on ebay, after all...

If you're dumb enough to pay that much for a cello, I'd love to see your wife's 2 carat "diamond" ring.

Let me guess, the guy at the pawn shop said it was "made out of the same stuff the $2000 ones are..."
hey a-hole.........stick it up your arse.

he said it was probably made out of balsa, I showed otherwise.

If I want your opinion I'll ask for it.

JaxSooner
1/14/2007, 11:33 PM
Hey, simmer down little fella...

I was just joshin' ya.

JaxSooner
1/14/2007, 11:34 PM
Sorry 'bout the ring comment, too.

Didn't mean to touch on a sore subject.

PrideTrombone
1/14/2007, 11:35 PM
hey a-hole.........stick it up your arse.

he said it was probably made out of balsa, I showed otherwise.

If I want your opinion I'll ask for it.

Dude, smiley. I PUT THE SMILEY IN THERE!!!!!

Sooner Boy, as far as I know, most cellos run that much or more.

sanantoniosooner
1/14/2007, 11:37 PM
are you still here?

sanantoniosooner
1/14/2007, 11:38 PM
Dude, smiley. I PUT THE SMILEY IN THERE!!!!!

Sooner Boy, as far as I know, most cellos run that much or more.
I knew you were joking. That's why I didn't call YOU an a-hole :D

JaxSooner
1/14/2007, 11:38 PM
He's not mad at you, PT.

He's ****ed off that I highlighted his cheapness.

Anyone who knows anything about these things knows that a $200 cellos IS made of balsa wood.

sanantoniosooner
1/14/2007, 11:40 PM
He's not mad at you, PT.

He's ****ed off that I highlighted his cheapness.

Anyone who knows anything about these things knows that a $200 cellos IS made of balsa wood.
Hey Nancyboy........when you have kids that try out sports and instruments you can brag about how you buy top dollar crap that ends up in the attic after 1 year, but I'll save a dime until I find out what my kids are serious about.

JaxSooner
1/14/2007, 11:44 PM
If knowing what a decent cello is worth makes me a "NancyBoy," then you shouldn't waste ANY money your latest attempt to get your kid involved in something worthwhile. You clearly don't have the understanding to support your kid in yet another new venture.

Dude. Don't get ****ed off at me just because you don't know how to support and motivate your kid.

sanantoniosooner
1/14/2007, 11:46 PM
I know what they go for you tard.

I asked if anyone had experience with these. If you do, please comment.

If you don't.......shut your piehole.

soonerboomer93
1/14/2007, 11:48 PM
hooray for meltdown season :D

sooneron
1/14/2007, 11:49 PM
:pop:

who woulda thunk it in a friggin band instrument thread?

sanantoniosooner
1/14/2007, 11:49 PM
hooray for meltdown season :D
I got two butt cheeks.

You can pucker up too.;)

Mongo
1/14/2007, 11:50 PM
:pop:

who woulda thunk it in a friggin band instrument thread?

I'm just waiting for a "skin flute" joke to appear

sanantoniosooner
1/14/2007, 11:51 PM
I'm just waiting for a "skin flute" to appear
Thank God I've never been to band camp.

soonerboomer93
1/14/2007, 11:53 PM
but you have been to banned camp ;)

JaxSooner
1/14/2007, 11:53 PM
Well, alrighty there, sport. Here ya go.

To harken back to my previous analogy, if I offered you a 2 carat diamond ring in a platinum setting for $300, would you be skeptical?

If you want your kid to get into the activity, invest some money in an instrument that won't be such a piece of crap that it ruins what little chance he has of being interested in it in the first place. Then back up the investment by placing a level of importance on it that reflects the level of the investment you've made in it.

Your kid will notice.

soonerboomer93
1/14/2007, 11:57 PM
actually starter instruments is pretty standard practice though (at least back when I was a band geek it was).

It's a better Idea to use starter instruments, because when you move up in instrument quality you appreciate it more.

sooneron
1/14/2007, 11:59 PM
http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/3024/yoyofarkkx8.jpg

Boarder
1/15/2007, 12:00 AM
I might order one of those $29.95 violins (fiddles) just to goof around on. We could have a big ol' hootenanny at the next tailgate.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270079634995

Mongo
1/15/2007, 12:01 AM
Well, alrighty there, sport. Here ya go.

To harken back to my previous analogy, if I offered you a 2 carat diamond ring in a platinum setting for $300, would you be skeptical?

If you want your kid to get into the activity, invest some money in an instrument that won't be such a piece of crap that it ruins what little chance he has of being interested in it in the first place. Then back up the investment by placing a level of importance on it that reflects the level of the investment you've made in it.

Your kid will notice.

Some people dont crap diamonds. I bet if your child wants to get involved in driving, your gonna buy it a BMW?

Boarder
1/15/2007, 12:01 AM
Oh, could you use the cello as a standup bass? That would ROCK!

sooneron
1/15/2007, 12:06 AM
Oh, could you use the cello as a standup bass? That would ROCK!
So RAWK!!!!!

http://www.slimlinepapas.co.uk/pete-standing-on-bass.jpg

olevetonahill
1/15/2007, 12:33 AM
Am I so Old that , the image of RENTAL instruments is outdated ?
Hell when I played the school furnished em :confused:
SAS had to go to cool off corner ?

Mongo
1/15/2007, 12:53 AM
I think renting is still around.
When you played, the bong was not an instrument
He speked me and told me he had a short vacation, then the spek message was gone. I want my 8 spek points returned:D

apusooner
1/15/2007, 03:15 AM
I am a band director so I don't really have much experience in the way of strings, but I do know as far as band instruments go, instruments imported from many of these places tend to be of a lesser quality. Then when they break, no repairmen in the US will work on them because the parts aren't compatable. This has been a major issue with some instruments Wal-Mart sells, as they are imported from Korea.

(Oh no. Now Wal-Mart is going to sue me because I said they sell bad instruments.)

Now, that being said, I have no familiarity with this company, so they really could be ok instruments. I just would say buyer beware, especially because if anything does break, for any reason, there is a greater likelihood that it can't be fixed or fixed easily.

dont kid yourself, the parts are more compatible than you would like to think. and be careful what you say, there are companies going out of business for saying what you just did. these companies go to the namm show to get the specs on instruments and they are really close to being as good if not better. especially at the beginner level. and, any repairman would work on them, it would cost more than the instrument originally cost, but they will work on them

oklaclarinet
1/15/2007, 08:22 AM
dont kid yourself, the parts are more compatible than you would like to think. and be careful what you say, there are companies going out of business for saying what you just did. these companies go to the namm show to get the specs on instruments and they are really close to being as good if not better. especially at the beginner level. and, any repairman would work on them, it would cost more than the instrument originally cost, but they will work on them

Yes, one example of a company going of business over this is Brook Mays, after they were sued by Wal-Mart over comments on their instruments. Hence my aside about hoping not to be sued. In all seriousness though, it is sad when people can't offer professional opinions that seriously affect the quality of a child's education without fear of being sued in response.

BajaOklahoma
1/15/2007, 09:21 AM
SAS, go to one of the stores that rent the instruments. You can usually find an instrument that someone purchased (better quality than rental) and decided to sell (either dropping music or moving up to a better one).
We did that for our trombone for our sons. It didn't hinder them in class at all - they were usually first chair and made the Symphonic Orchestra in 7th grade, instead of 8th. Had the new teacher not moved sectionsal to after school, which doesn't work for kids riding the bus whose parents work until 5 or 6, they would have stuck with it.
The cost or renting for the total number of years involved for both boys equaled what we would have paid for the rental. In our school district, parents have to fork over the cost of the instrument - rental or purchase.

LoyalFan
1/15/2007, 11:55 AM

Turkles,

Good news! Yamaha's brass instruments are excellent. Even the student models are among the best. Their pro-grade trumpets, cornets, and flugelhorns are top-shelf.
Rest easy.

LF
Cornet/Trumpet Section Leader, Emeritus
San Antonio Municipal Band

LoyalFan
1/15/2007, 12:02 PM

I can unequivocally state that the brass and woodwinds imported from China (Commie) and India are pure crap. Parents trying to get by at the least cost are only causing their kids to quit band in frustration. NO responsible band director should allow his beginners to get near the stuff.
Sadly, many band directors are forced to allow dealers to shaft the kids (and thus the band program) under the threat of withdrawal of rapid response to repair needs and other services.
I can't speak to SAS's concerns re stringed instruments from China, but I'd wager that an honest appraisal by a qualified string instructor would be a good thing to seek. After all, the kids are the future musicians. Give them the best "Starter" axes you can.

LF
Playing trumpets and cornets since 1955.

Newbomb Turk
1/15/2007, 12:29 PM
Turkles,

Good news! Yamaha's brass instruments are excellent. Even the student models are among the best. Their pro-grade trumpets, cornets, and flugelhorns are top-shelf.
Rest easy.

LF
Cornet/Trumpet Section Leader, Emeritus
San Antonio Municipal Band

well that's a first. I've been called lots of things, but never Turkles. :D

GottaHavePride
1/15/2007, 02:42 PM
I'll chime in, what the hell.

Anyway - I don't know about string instruments much. But in general, the no-name Chinese import instruments aren't so hot. At least for brass instruments I'd stick with a recognizable name (Yamaha, Jupiter, King, etc.) and either buy one of the "student" models or buy used. NOTE: student models are made out of the same stuff as the pro models, and usually from the same specs - they just aren't made as carefully, and less time is spent really fine-tuning them and finishing.

As to cellos, look at it this way: I have a good friend in Illinois who is a professional musician. Her cello (assuming she's still playing the one she bought toward the end of high school) cost about $40,000. And it's sort of the Nissan Maxima of cellos - pretty nice, but it's not even close to the top end. I would suggest just renting a cello for the first year (any reputable music store should be able to hook you up) and then if he likes it, talk to some string teachers about where to buy string instruments and invest a little more money. A $2,000 cello is sort of the '71 Chevelle of the cello world. Good for a kid's first car in high school. A $300 cello off eBay? That screams "Gremlin with bald tires, no muffler, a grinding transmission, and a squirrel living inside one of the cylinders" to me.

apusooner
1/15/2007, 09:56 PM
i'm telling you, not all of these imports are crap. i've played them and all of my teachers agree how scary good these horns are. with brass, it's usually the player, not the horn. ususally. with strings, yeah, i can see there being problems.

JaxSooner
1/15/2007, 10:08 PM
"Scary good?"

You can't be serious.

Define what makes a horn "scary good," please.

JaxSooner
1/15/2007, 10:10 PM
I mean, you've gotta be talking about Yamahas when you say "imports," right? You're not saying the tin wal mart horns are scary good are you?

apusooner
1/15/2007, 10:18 PM
i am personally not a fan of yamaha. these horns i'm speaking of come from korea and china and play much better than yamaha. i have never played a walmart horn so i have no opinion on those. scary good means the horn plays i tune up and down the register, the valves are smooth and it gets a very simialer sound to the horn i play. just so you know, iplay a bach stradivarius 37G. i honestly dont know the brand of the horns i'm talking about because they were prototypes and weren't stamped. but they play incredibly well.

apusooner
1/15/2007, 10:21 PM
and, btw, the student horns made by popular brands arent anything to write home about either. that's why they are student horns. some of the hardest repair to do is on american made horns.

TheBobbyTrain
1/16/2007, 01:46 AM
I'll chime in, what the hell.

Anyway - I don't know about string instruments much. But in general, the no-name Chinese import instruments aren't so hot. At least for brass instruments I'd stick with a recognizable name (Yamaha, Jupiter, King, etc.) and either buy one of the "student" models or buy used. NOTE: student models are made out of the same stuff as the pro models, and usually from the same specs - they just aren't made as carefully, and less time is spent really fine-tuning them and finishing.

As to cellos, look at it this way: I have a good friend in Illinois who is a professional musician. Her cello (assuming she's still playing the one she bought toward the end of high school) cost about $40,000. And it's sort of the Nissan Maxima of cellos - pretty nice, but it's not even close to the top end. I would suggest just renting a cello for the first year (any reputable music store should be able to hook you up) and then if he likes it, talk to some string teachers about where to buy string instruments and invest a little more money. A $2,000 cello is sort of the '71 Chevelle of the cello world. Good for a kid's first car in high school. A $300 cello off eBay? That screams "Gremlin with bald tires, no muffler, a grinding transmission, and a squirrel living inside one of the cylinders" to me.

i'd rather take a 71 chevelle than a nissan maxima, in non-instrument life that is.

Frozen Sooner
1/16/2007, 01:48 AM
well that's a first. I've been called lots of things, but never Turkles. :D

Turkleton?

SoonerJack
1/16/2007, 08:58 AM
I say spend the money on lessons and not the instrument right now. But that's just my two cents. And both of my sons play stringed instruments: cello and bass.

jk the sooner fan
1/16/2007, 09:02 AM
lubtex isnt as friendly as i remember him.....

SoonerTerry
1/16/2007, 09:46 AM
OK SAS here ya go,

The facts that matter are as follows,

1. Materials used in construction,

--The auction had ended by the time I saw this thread, but what I saw in your earlier post tells me that quality materials were used in the constrution. The ebony on the fingerboard makes for a very nice feel. Flamed maple is a quality tone wood that has a very responsive and bright tone. The maple would help the low notes really stand out.

2. Workmanship,

--This is where it gets tricky. If you get to play the instrument before purchase, you can see and feel the quality. But since your buying the instrument on-line your gonna have to do some research. Look up the builder and read some feedback on the instrument. Currently there are luthiers that have ventured out and are building fine instruments that don't have a name brand on them, but the quality is there. The point here is that you CANNOT say that every instrument that comes out of china is a piece of crap. You just have to research the builder and read the feedback of the people that actually own the instrument that you are looking at.

I applaud you for supporting your kid in music, I know that in my teens and twenties music was a huge part of my life and I have great memories from it. Hell, even now in my 30's I can go out and make a little extra money and have some fun every now and then.

PM me if you have any questions about a specific maker and I'll help ya with some reasearch. I can read between the lines pretty well.

Terry