SicEmBaylor
1/14/2007, 04:35 PM
Why do we hate KOTV?

yermom
1/14/2007, 04:35 PM
i'm always up for a good FCC rant :D

hurricane'bone
1/14/2007, 04:36 PM
Travis Meyer said that due to FCC regulations, they can't show their HD feed because of the sever weather. It makes no sense...I just got done watching the Fox game in HD and I'm ****ed. I just hope that there is no severe weather during the Super Bowl or I'm gonna burn KOTV to the ground.

Sooner_Bob
1/14/2007, 04:39 PM
Bummer . . . I wish they'd give the satellite companies waivers to broadcast HD signals if they're not available locally without us having to request them.

slickdawg
1/14/2007, 04:51 PM
This is obviously George Bush's fault

TopDaugIn2000
1/14/2007, 04:56 PM
well, if you were a good ole COX subscriber, you wouldn't have to worry about getting Fox in HD anyway.

King Crimson
1/14/2007, 04:59 PM
the FCC is in the pocket of industry.

TopDaugIn2000
1/14/2007, 05:00 PM
the FCC is in the pants of industry.

fixed

King Crimson
1/14/2007, 05:10 PM
the FCC is a joke.

either access to media matters or it doesn't?

let's quit lying about it.

colleyvillesooner
1/14/2007, 05:10 PM
In case you're wondering, it looks great. :D

:O

1stTimeCaller
1/14/2007, 05:42 PM
I used to listen to the radio
And I don’t guess they’re listenin’ to me no more
They talk too much but that’s okay
I don’t understand a single word they say
**** and moan about the immigrants
But don’t say nothin’ about the president
A democracy don’t work that way
I can say anything I wanna say

So f*** the FCC
F*** the FBI
F*** the CIA
Livin’ in the motherf***in’ USA

People tell me that I’m paranoid
And I admit I’m gettin’ pretty nervous, boy
It just gets tougher everyday
To sit around and watch it while it slips away
Been called a traitor and a patriot
Call me anything you want to but
Just don’t forget your history
Dirty Lenny died so we could all be free

hurricane'bone = Steve Earl?

BudSooner
1/14/2007, 05:49 PM
Bummer . . . I wish they'd give the satellite companies waivers to broadcast HD signals if they're not available locally without us having to request them.
Are you still with Dish or did you switch to Directv?

hurricane'bone
1/14/2007, 07:14 PM
well, if you were a good ole COX subscriber, you wouldn't have to worry about getting Fox in HD anyway.

Actually, we get FoxHD up here in Tulsa through Cox.

TopDaugIn2000
1/14/2007, 07:21 PM
Actually, we get FoxHD up here in Tulsa through Cox.

don't remind me.

MamaMia
1/14/2007, 07:35 PM
If you buy and LCD HDTV, is it best to have satellite or Sudden Link cable, or does it even matter?

soonerhubs
1/14/2007, 08:30 PM
This is obviously George Bush's fault
George Bush Hate's Channel 6 Watchers! ;) :D

the-boulder
1/14/2007, 09:01 PM
ok, the Fox game was on HD(Cox Tulsa) earlier- I don't recall if they had the warnings on or not. If they did, then why could they dop it in HD and KOTV can't? If Fox didn't have the warnings, are they somehow exempt form being required to show them?

bluedogok
1/14/2007, 10:02 PM
What the problem is they have not updated their warning equipment to HD capable, so everytime they scroll a warning they switch it to SD mode. It has nothing to do with the FCC, it has to do with their cheapness. Plus stations in Oklahoma show warnings incessantly, if there is a chance of anything they have a warning for it.

We have been getting warnings all day down here and both signals were in HD throughout. It is a good thing the games were not on NBC, the station here is not on Directv (although since OTA has been activated I can pick it up on my HD-DVR) because they want to much for their HD signal (just like KOCO with Cox in OKC) and I would imagine they are too cheap to have the HD capable warning equipment.

hurricane'bone
1/14/2007, 10:17 PM
ok, the Fox game was on HD(Cox Tulsa) earlier- I don't recall if they had the warnings on or not. If they did, then why could they dop it in HD and KOTV can't? If Fox didn't have the warnings, are they somehow exempt form being required to show them?

These are the questions I'm asking tomorrow when I call.

OUTromBoNado
1/15/2007, 05:06 AM
What the problem is they have not updated their warning equipment to HD capable, so everytime they scroll a warning they switch it to SD mode. It has nothing to do with the FCC, it has to do with their cheapness. Plus stations in Oklahoma show warnings incessantly, if there is a chance of anything they have a warning for it.

We have been getting warnings all day down here and both signals were in HD throughout. It is a good thing the games were not on NBC, the station here is not on Directv (although since OTA has been activated I can pick it up on my HD-DVR) because they want to much for their HD signal (just like KOCO with Cox in OKC) and I would imagine they are too cheap to have the HD capable warning equipment.

Bingo.

I'm not entirely sure what the rules and regs are from the FCC regarding weather warnings. I know there is something in there about requiring TV stations to run them, but I don't know much of the details. KOTV can't run them in the HD signal because they don't have the right equipment. Thus, they have to go back to SD to show the warnings.

One thing you have to keep in mind is that the FCC shoved the digital TV and HD stuff down the throats of local stations. Small markets like Tulsa were not really ready for it. For small TV markets like Tulsa, the conversion for everything to be in HD will probably take a while. Local stations are required by the FCC to be fully HD compatible until sometime in 2009 (February, I think).