PDA

View Full Version : Water intox. kills CA woman

Okla-homey
1/14/2007, 12:26 PM
Somebody is gonna get paid over this one...

Woman drinks so much water she diesPOSTED: 10:33 p.m. EST, January 13, 2007

SACRAMENTO, California (AP) -- A woman who competed in a radio station's contest to see how much water she could drink without going to the bathroom died of water intoxication, the coroner's office said Saturday.

[The aptly named] Jennifer Strange, 28, was found dead Friday in her suburban Rancho Cordova home hours after taking part in the "Hold Your Wee for a Wii" contest in which KDND 107.9 promised a Nintendo Wii video game system for the winner.

"She said to one of our supervisors that she was on her way home and her head was hurting her real bad," said Laura Rios, one of Strange's co-workers at Radiological Associates of Sacramento. "She was crying, and that was the last that anyone had heard from her."

It was not immediately known how much water Strange consumed.

A preliminary investigation found evidence "consistent with a water intoxication death," said assistant Coroner Ed Smith.

John Geary, vice president and marketing manager for Entercom Sacramento, the station's owner, said station personnel were stunned when they heard of Strange's death.

"We are awaiting information that will help explain how this tragic event occurred," he said. [and in the meantime are loudly saying "Oh @#78!" a lot]

Initially, contestants were handed 8-ounce bottles of water to drink every 15 minutes.

"They were small little half-pint bottles, so we thought it was going to be easy," said fellow contestant James Ybarra of Woodland. "They told us if you don't feel like you can do this, don't put your health at risk."

Ybarra said he quit after drinking five bottles. "My bladder couldn't handle it anymore," he added.

After he quit, he said, the remaining contestants, including Strange, were given even bigger bottles to drink.

"I was talking to her and she was a nice lady," Ybarra said. "She was telling me about her family and her three kids and how she was doing it for her kids."

olevetonahill
1/14/2007, 12:29 PM
That sounds like a **** poor way to die

Okla-homey
1/14/2007, 12:33 PM
That sounds like a **** poor way to die

A few summers back, the Army lost a couple kids in infantry training at Benning who had drunk too much water. If memory serves, it had to do with the fact their squad leaders were trying to do the right thing by insisting their trainees drain their quart canteens too frequently.

OCUDad
1/14/2007, 12:34 PM
That sounds like a **** poor way to dieVery subtle, vet. And very good. :rolleyes:

olevetonahill
1/14/2007, 12:53 PM
Very subtle, vet. And very good. :rolleyes:
You callin me Names :eek:
Oh and Homey Ive never heard of it before. Dam I thought your body demanded water when it needed it and you sweated and peed the excess away .

Beef
1/14/2007, 01:02 PM
A kid in a fraternity at SMU died of it a couple of years ago. I thought it was odd.

John Kochtoston
1/14/2007, 01:09 PM
There was a story about this on "Real Sports" not to long ago (great show, even if Bryant Gumbel is an ***). IIRC, there are no documented cases of death or near-death from dehydration in organized marathon running. however, there are at least 10 cases of death or near-death from overhydration (there's a medical term for it, but I'm too lazy to go look it up). Ten out of however many participants in organized marathons is still pretty small, but I found the evidence interesting, nonetheless. the medical people they had on the show said that people should drink no more that 8 oz. of fluid every 20 minutes during periods of heavy exhertion, and should not overload on fluids before exhertion (I believe they said 20 oz. of fluid max before a marathon, but, again, I could be wrong). I'll got try to dig up a link.

fadada1
1/14/2007, 01:11 PM
A few summers back, the Army lost a couple kids in infantry training at Benning who had drunk too much water. If memory serves, it had to do with the fact their squad leaders were trying to do the right thing by insisting their trainees drain their quart canteens too frequently.
i had a similar experience while doing some "special" training in the navy. our instructors wanted to prove a point after three of our classmates overheated (two of them hit 106, one hit 108... discharged). needless to say, we each drank 2 full canteens in about one minute - and then did about 200 situps (in addition to the 1000 pushups we had already done). lets just say some of the fellows had trouble holding their water.

people forget that too much of anything ('cept scarlette johansson) is not good for you.

John Kochtoston
1/14/2007, 01:22 PM
http://www.aims-association.org/articles/IMMDA_Updated_Fluid_Recommendation.pdf

No concrete recommendations, though. It basically says know your body, and drink more if it's hot outside.

yermom
1/14/2007, 04:11 PM
my buddy went through basic for the AF a couple years ago and said they had very specific rules about water consumption for the same reason

i don't remember what it was though

it seems like if you were drinking Gatorade or something similar you might be ok, i would think the issue is that you are diluting all of your electrolytes to the point at which they don't work

MamaMia
1/14/2007, 04:13 PM
I guess its true what they say about anything to an excess is bad for you;
even water. I wonder how bad too much exercise is? :confused:

fadada1
1/14/2007, 04:14 PM
it seems like if you were drinking Gatorade or something similar you might be ok, i would think the issue is that you are diluting all of your electrolytes to the point at which they don't work
the problem with gatorade, is that you can do too much of that as well. in fact, some would argue that you have to be more careful with gatorade/powerade. you can overload on potassium/sodium and the like with the -ades.

yermom
1/14/2007, 04:32 PM
well, i'm not saying they should be drinking straight Gatorade :D

i did some Googleing on the subject after i posted and people are talking about subbing in some V8 for water since it has Potassium and Sodium, as well as upping the salt injested with food beforehand. in addition to "sports drinks"

yermom
1/14/2007, 04:34 PM
i wouldn't go with the Howzit method though

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63781

Penguin
1/21/2007, 11:31 PM
I am never drinking water again.

Water kills!

proud gonzo
1/22/2007, 12:03 AM
drowning from the inside...

olevetonahill
1/22/2007, 12:04 AM
I am never drinking water again.

Water kills!
What Im screming , Drink Mo beer !

1stTimeCaller
1/22/2007, 01:07 AM
I saw a dateline type show a few years ago about this rehab place for people that would drink too much water and it made them feel hig/drunk. They had to put chemicals in the toilet water so the patients wouldn't drink it. It was interesting.

snp
1/22/2007, 01:46 AM
A bunch of stoners used to tell me that if you drank gallons upon gallons of water you'd get really high for some stonerific reason.

Those bastards were trying to kill me.

Frozen Sooner
1/22/2007, 01:50 AM
Dihydrogen monoxide strikes again.

yermom
1/22/2007, 03:44 AM

:D

soonerboomer93
1/22/2007, 05:51 AM
water sucks, gatoraide is better

Okla-homey
1/22/2007, 06:07 AM

HOH is a killer beyotch

tbl
1/22/2007, 09:43 AM
Too bad it wasn't a Clear Channel station...

That really sucks though. Lady had three kids and she was doing this so they could get a nice present. Horrible...

Penguin
1/22/2007, 01:45 PM
Well, they called the contest "Hold Your Wee For A Wii."

I hate to think what would have happened if it was called the Nintendo Pooh.

John Kochtoston
1/22/2007, 07:45 PM
Well, they called the contest "Hold Your Wee For A Wii."

I hate to think what would have happened if it was called the Nintendo Pooh.

Bran muffins and coffee.