PDA

View Full Version : Post your "2007 Apocolyptic Ice-y Storm of Death" pics here

Okla-homey
1/14/2007, 11:48 AM
This is my crib. That ain't snow, its pure, solid ice. Bracing for the third round due in shortly.

http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/1990/dscn0895cf3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

BTW, the paper came again this a.m. My paper delivery d00d deserves the Tulsa World Distinguished Service Award with three Ink Pot Clusters.

SoonerBorn68
1/14/2007, 11:51 AM
Uh, hey Homey, isn't that a National Confederate flag?

Newbomb Turk
1/14/2007, 11:54 AM
here's one of the kid from yesterday. Like Homey said, no snow, all sleet.

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/4495/michael2mt1.th.jpg

Okla-homey
1/14/2007, 11:58 AM
Uh, hey Homey, isn't that a National Confederate flag?

Yep. It's Lee-Jackson Week. Kudos to you for indentifying it. I'm no Neo-Confederate, but I fly historic American flags for fun and try to match the flag from my collection with the appropriate period each month.

OklahomaTuba
1/14/2007, 12:00 PM
Heh, Six Flags over Homey's.

Newbomb Turk
1/14/2007, 12:00 PM
BTW, the paper came again this a.m. My paper delivery d00d deserves the Tulsa World Distinguished Service Award with three Ink Pot Clusters.

I gotta give my paperguy some props today too. Usually the paper is in the yard, not too far from the curb. Today, he tossed it way up my the house.

jk the sooner fan
1/14/2007, 12:43 PM
this is from the ice storm last week in nebraska.....

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f343/jksantee/STORMPICTURES035.jpg

colleyvillesooner
1/14/2007, 12:53 PM
That's not good

royalfan5
1/14/2007, 12:57 PM
That's not good
The central part of the state got hammered real good. Power was out for a week-plus in a lot of places. It think it all finally got restored before this new storm.

TopDawg
1/14/2007, 01:48 PM
I gotta give my paperguy some props today too. Usually the paper is in the yard, not too far from the curb. Today, he tossed it way up my the house.

Same here. I'm thinking it was a normal toss, but it just slid all the way across the yard.

Back in my day, most of my customers didn't even have to step out of their house.

Newbomb Turk
1/14/2007, 01:58 PM
Same here. I'm thinking it was a normal toss, but it just slid all the way across the yard.

that could be - the front yard is like a skating rink. with the paper in that plastic bag I'll bet it slid up there.

bri
1/14/2007, 02:18 PM
Back in my day, most of my customers didn't even have to step out of their house.

Why, did you just throw it through their windows?

OUTromBoNado
1/14/2007, 02:29 PM
Please also give props to the folks that delivered your mail on Saturday. It was sucked for them too. My dad, who is a mail carrier, had yesterday off.

Boy was he glad.

jk the sooner fan
1/14/2007, 02:31 PM
my paper "person" left my paper square in the middle of the soggy grass this morning.....at least he double bagged it

Okla-homey
1/14/2007, 02:36 PM
The news just said 11 hillbillies have gone to the big hoot-n-nanny in the sky here in Oklahoma since this crap started. You people be careful.

VeeJay
1/14/2007, 03:10 PM
You took down all the Christmas lights already?

WTF???

fadada1
1/14/2007, 03:15 PM

some nutbag starving artist in greenwich villiage would try to sell that as "modern art" for about $4million.

jk the sooner fan
1/14/2007, 03:42 PM
some nutbag liberal who thinks its art would pay $4 million for it ;)

slickdawg
1/14/2007, 03:57 PM

:les: HSKRGRL DID IT !!!!!!!!

bri
1/14/2007, 03:58 PM
The news just said 11 hillbillies have gone to the big hoot-n-nanny in the sky here in Oklahoma since this crap started. You people be careful.

Dude, just sit back, relax, and let Darwinism do its thing. :pop:

Hot Rod
1/14/2007, 04:12 PM

Yeah, noticed that as well. Mine was right against the front door as I opened it. It must have been a heck of a throw. At least he doesn't come to the door on his bike, asking for $2.

fadada1
1/14/2007, 04:16 PM
some nutbag liberal who thinks its art would pay $4 million for it ;)
f-ing liberals!!!!

olevetonahill
1/14/2007, 04:37 PM
Homey Seven of em were Messicans , there were 12 Messican citisens in a mini van that smacked a truck out by Elk City , 7 dead , 5 went to hospital . maybe some mo of died , Havnt heard :eek:

TopDaugIn2000
1/14/2007, 05:02 PM
Homey Seven of em were Messicans , there were 12 Messican citisens in a mini van that smacked a truck out by Elk City , 7 dead , 5 went to hospital . maybe some mo of died , Havnt heard :eek:

beat me to it.

TopDawg
1/14/2007, 05:06 PM
Why, did you just throw it through their windows?

I was like the kid in that Peyton Manning commerical.

Newbomb Turk
1/14/2007, 05:29 PM
I was like the kid in that Peyton Manning commerical.

:D - same thing I thought of. Just showed that one during the Chargers/Pats game.

Okla-homey
1/14/2007, 05:32 PM
beat me to it.

That still sux.

Newbomb Turk
1/14/2007, 05:41 PM
That still sux.

yes it does.

Minivan Hits Big Rig in Okla., Killing 7

Associated Press

ELK CITY, Okla. (AP) -- A minivan carrying 12 people skidded off an icy highway early Sunday and slammed into an oncoming tractor-trailer, killing seven, the Oklahoma Highway Patrol said.

The eastbound van slid through the center median and struck a westbound tractor-trailer on Interstate 40 around 3:50 a.m., trooper Kera Philippi said. Five of the van's occupants were taken to a hospital, Philippi said.

Their injuries did not appear to be life-threatening, a hospital spokesman said.

The identities of the woman and six men who were killed were not immediately released. Philippi said all the van's occupants were adult residents of Mexico, and interpreters were being used to locate next of kin.
All seven victims were thrown or partially thrown from the minivan and apparently were not wearing seat belts, trooper Chris Laufer said. They were pronounced dead at the scene, he said.

At the time of the crash, about 110 miles west of Oklahoma City, freezing rain was falling and visibility was limited, according to the National Weather Service. A powerful winter storm had coated roads and highways with ice and sleet.

royalfan5
1/14/2007, 05:56 PM
I've always wondered why Civil Engineers can't come up with some sort of barrier to prevent cars from crossing the medians. You wouldn't think there would be some sort of solution. I'll ask my civil engineer cousin about this.

BOOMERBRADLEY
1/14/2007, 06:00 PM
http://img478.imageshack.us/img478/7882/random006ud9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/7986/random001dz9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Newbomb Turk
1/14/2007, 06:09 PM
BoomerBradley has some trees!

TopDaugIn2000
1/14/2007, 06:30 PM
I've always wondered why Civil Engineers can't come up with some sort of barrier to prevent cars from crossing the medians. You wouldn't think there would be some sort of solution. I'll ask my civil engineer cousin about this.

around here they are putting in the cable system. I noticed last week they are going to put it on that stretch just south of norman where I crossed over. might've kept me from it, who knows.

reevie
1/14/2007, 06:45 PM
Yep. It's Lee-Jackson Week. Kudos to you for indentifying it. I'm no Neo-Confederate, but I fly historic American flags for fun and try to match the flag from my collection with the appropriate period each month.

Flying the first national flag is a better choice than the second or third. Most people are probably wondering why you're flying the Georgia State flag.

1stTimeCaller
1/14/2007, 07:13 PM
around here they are putting in the cable system. I noticed last week they are going to put it on that stretch just south of norman where I crossed over. might've kept me from it, who knows.

that system will stop an errant 18 wheeler from crossing over. If it's the same European system they used on the Hefner Parkway. It's awesome.

soonerboomer93
1/14/2007, 07:21 PM
over here, outside of the city, all the major roads I've been on have barriers on them

but then alot of the roads basically have no median except for the barrier

TopDaugIn2000
1/14/2007, 07:22 PM
that system will stop an errant 18 wheeler from crossing over. If it's the same European system they used on the Hefner Parkway. It's awesome.

then most likely it would've stopped my camry!!! :cool:

Newbomb Turk
1/14/2007, 07:25 PM

the problem is trying to run something like that along every interstate from coast to coast. Quite costly - not saying it's not worth it though.

HskrGrl
1/14/2007, 08:04 PM
:les: HSKRGRL DID IT !!!!!!!!

Uh... yeah! Yep, it was me. Any nutbag liberal checks can be made payable to HskrGrl. :D

Okla-homey
1/14/2007, 10:11 PM
the problem is trying to run something like that along every interstate from coast to coast. Quite costly - not saying it's not worth it though.

FWIW, in South Carolina, a few years ago, the legislature decreed that all interstates within its borders would have a two inch steel cable supported at intervals by sufficient anchoring, to prevent median crossings by errant vee-hickles. It is installed in the median and runs the entire length of their system, with cut-outs for LE and EMS to make turn-arounds. Last time I was back there, it appeared to run about the three feet off the ground. Given carrier landings are arrested by cables of this size, it should do the trick

It's mostly now installed, but I'm not aware of any of the data as to its effectiveness.

SC is smaller in area than OK, but it is bisected by I-95 which gets as least as much traffic, if not more, than I-35, and I's 20 and 26 also crisscross the state.

bluedogok
1/14/2007, 10:13 PM
Yeah, noticed that as well. Mine was right against the front door as I opened it. It must have been a heck of a throw. At least he doesn't come to the door on his bike, asking for $2.
Nice "Better Off Dead" reference.

I've always wondered why Civil Engineers can't come up with some sort of barrier to prevent cars from crossing the medians. You wouldn't think there would be some sort of solution. I'll ask my civil engineer cousin about this.From my dad the retired highway designer, the concrete Jersey barriers are about $1,000,000 per mile in urban areas and $850,000 per mile in rural areas. The Brifen cable system (what was used on LHP) is about $300,000-400,000 per mile.

sooneron
1/14/2007, 10:48 PM
They choose the week of MLK Day to be Jackson Lee week? Or vice versa? Someone's trying to **** somebody off.

finster
1/14/2007, 10:54 PM
Ice-y Death from Ft. Sill.....................
sorry for Bandwidth Death 2007.

finster
1/14/2007, 11:00 PM
http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/5974/ftsillnitepkc5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

SicEmBaylor
1/14/2007, 11:01 PM
They choose the week of MLK Day to be Jackson Lee week? Or vice versa? Someone's trying to **** somebody off.

I'm almost positive Jackson-Lee weekend came first.
I know which of the two holidays I'll be celebrating.

It's kind of interesting actually. My great-uncle was an FBI agent assigned to investigating MLK.

jk the sooner fan
1/14/2007, 11:02 PM
ahhh, fort sill....good times, good times

Jerk
1/14/2007, 11:08 PM

No it won't. It won't even stop a bob-tail (semi without a trailer) and this was proven last summer when one crossed over just north of 122nd Street and hit a car head-on, killing the woman inside. I drove by after they covered her body.

TopDawg
1/15/2007, 01:43 AM
I guess it depends on how fast the 18 wheeler is travelling. I could stop one with my bare hands from crossing over the median if it was going slow enough (approx. 45 miles per hour).

The city of Norman was digging a big hole in Flood street just south of Main this evening.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/15/2007, 09:45 AM
yes it does.

Minivan Hits Big Rig in Okla., Killing 7

Associated Press

ELK CITY, Okla. (AP) -- A minivan carrying 12 people skidded off an icy highway early Sunday and slammed into an oncoming tractor-trailer, killing seven, the Oklahoma Highway Patrol said.

The eastbound van slid through the center median and struck a westbound tractor-trailer on Interstate 40 around 3:50 a.m., trooper Kera Philippi said. Five of the van's occupants were taken to a hospital, Philippi said.

Their injuries did not appear to be life-threatening, a hospital spokesman said.

The identities of the woman and six men who were killed were not immediately released. Philippi said all the van's occupants were adult residents of Mexico, and interpreters were being used to locate next of kin.
All seven victims were thrown or partially thrown from the minivan and apparently were not wearing seat belts, trooper Chris Laufer said. They were pronounced dead at the scene, he said.

At the time of the crash, about 110 miles west of Oklahoma City, freezing rain was falling and visibility was limited, according to the National Weather Service. A powerful winter storm had coated roads and highways with ice and sleet.

Nix 7 illegals, I wonder if the rest will be deported...Your tax dollars at work to help 'em out.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/15/2007, 09:47 AM

It's kind of interesting actually. My great-uncle was an FBI agent assigned to investigating MLK.

When I was a kid in Georgia, we got RE Lee's and Jeff Davis Bdays off as school holidays...

jk the sooner fan
1/15/2007, 09:51 AM
Nix 7 illegals, I wonder if the rest will be deported...Your tax dollars at work to help 'em out.

they're still humans dude........

TopDaugIn2000
1/15/2007, 09:57 AM

WORD

Rhino
1/15/2007, 10:18 AM
http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/6749/poolqc4.jpg
http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/2795/trixiesullytm9.jpg
http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/4028/trixiect6.jpg
http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/6471/maggieqn9.jpg

jk the sooner fan
1/15/2007, 10:21 AM
dude, thats a good sized backyard with the pool, very nice

TheHumanAlphabet
1/15/2007, 10:22 AM

Yep, I feel bad they died. I pray that the find eternal peace.

But if they weren't breaking the law and if they were in Mexico today, they wouldn't have been in a van, overloaded and on an icy highway trying to get to wherever. They would still be alive.

Rhino
1/15/2007, 10:23 AM
Thanks. The backyard was a must for the dogs. The pool was a bonus, except when the dogs slide into it and we have to save them.

jk the sooner fan
1/15/2007, 10:24 AM
i have a corner lot so there's just enough yard for our two dogs, but you've got twice the space i do

only one of our dogs swim......you know, they make these ramps that sit in the water and clamp to the side......if your dogs are swimmers, it helps them get out of the pool

jk the sooner fan
1/15/2007, 10:26 AM
Yep, I feel bad they died. I pray that the find eternal peace.

ok, all i read was that they were a burden to us taxpayers....

LilSooner
1/15/2007, 11:52 AM
OUR dogs are NOT swimmers. They are more of hangers on to the side waiting for mommy/daddy to come get them out. The twins like to play a fun game of run around the pool like mad men and see who can shove each other in the pool first.

jk the sooner fan
1/15/2007, 11:56 AM
i only have one dog that swims...even though both are golden retrievers....the female is afraid of the water

TopDaugIn2000
1/15/2007, 11:57 AM
my dog HATES the cold, it's a battle just to get him out long enough to pee. I could NOT get him out yeserday, so finally I stood on the front porch with the door open a little and rang the doorbell. He started barking, running towards the door to "get the boogers" and then SLID out into the front yard. He barked for a while longer, peed on the corner of the house, and then raced back indoors. It was great, not sure how many times I can get him to fall for that trick again though.

SoonerTerry
1/15/2007, 11:57 AM

Did he know how to change a tire?

LilSooner
1/15/2007, 11:59 AM
I once had a male lab that was once afraid of water and thunder/lightning.

bluedogok
1/15/2007, 12:12 PM
But if they weren't breaking the law and if they were in Mexico today, they wouldn't have been in a van, overloaded and on an icy highway trying to get to wherever. They would still be alive.
I haven't read anywhere yet that they were "illegals" only that they were "Mexican Nationals", they may have been here legally and just traveling. Mexicans can travel legally in the US (provided they get the proper paperwork just like Americans traveling in Mexico), we see Mexican plates here all the time around here.

That may be the situation in this case, although it would not surprise me if it is as you stated.

As far as the cable system, I had the one on LHP stop a Suburban crossing into the southbound lane just north of 63rd coming right at me in my RX-7. If it hadn't have been there I doubt that I would be here. No barrier system is 100% effective, I have seen a semi come over a concrete barrier before. Some protection is better than none.

CUinNC
1/16/2007, 03:34 PM
I haven't read anywhere yet that they were "illegals" only that they were "Mexican Nationals", they may have been here legally and just traveling. Mexicans can travel legally in the US (provided they get the proper paperwork just like Americans traveling in Mexico), we see Mexican plates here all the time around here.

That may be the situation in this case, although it would not surprise me if it is as you stated.

As far as the cable system, I had the one on LHP stop a Suburban crossing into the southbound lane just north of 63rd coming right at me in my RX-7. If it hadn't have been there I doubt that I would be here. No barrier system is 100% effective, I have seen a semi come over a concrete barrier before. Some protection is better than none.

Heh - yep they were Illegals - Why can't they just hang out there??? Hmmmm

Smuggling Operation to N.C. Led to Death of 7

Last Edited: Tuesday, 16 Jan 2007, 1:22 PM EST
Created: Tuesday, 16 Jan 2007, 1:22 PM EST

Minuteman volunteers build a fence along the US Mexican border near Palominas, Arizona. (AP Photo) By SEAN MURPHY
Associated Press Writer
OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) -- The passengers in a minivan that crashed on a slick Oklahoma interstate during a winter storm, killing seven, were illegal immigrants being smuggled to North Carolina, a federal immigration officer confirmed Tuesday.

"This was a smuggling vehicle," said Carl Rusnok, a spokesman for the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement's Dallas office. "These people were being smuggled and transported illegally.

"The question now is whether there is a larger smuggling operation behind this particular vehicle."

Seven people died Sunday when the 1998 Chevrolet Astro van hit a patch of ice along Interstate 40, slid across the center median and slammed into an oncoming tractor-trailer. The crash happened about 3:50 a.m., when there was limited visibility and freezing rain in the area.

The van was heading from Nogales, Ariz., to North Carolina, along what Rusnok described as a common smuggling route. The driver was among those killed in the crash, Rusnok said.

In addition to the poor driving conditions, Rusnok said smuggling vehicles often are not well maintained and that drivers may not be used to driving in adverse conditions.

"The drivers there may have been driving for a number of hours with little rest, and then they encounter road conditions and weather they are not used," Rusnok said.

"On top of that, these alien smugglers do not treat their cargo well at all. These people pay sometimes thousands of dollars to be smuggled and transported, and for their money, they're treated to inhumane conditions."

The Oklahoma Highway Patrol has not released the names of those killed in the crash, pending notification of relatives.

The five injured who were taken to the Great Plains Regional Medical Center in Elk City include Gaudencio P. Perez, 17; Sergio Yanez-Martinez, age unknown; Mitxi Vasquez, 21; and Pedro Valdez, 56, all of Mexico; and Eurgencio V. Gonzalez, 20, of Durham, N.C., the patrol reported.

Although Gonzalez gave authorities a North Carolina address, Rusnok said he did not know if Gonzalez was a U.S. citizen. The OHP previously reported that all of those in the van were Mexican residents.

Valdez was released Sunday and taken into custody by federal authorities, Rusnok said. He remained in the Beckham County jail on Tuesday.

Yanez-Martinez and Vasquez both were released from the hospital on Monday, but Rusnok said he did not know if they were in federal custody. There was no record of the two being held Tuesday at the Beckham County jail.

Perez and Gonzalez both were listed in "stable" condition on Tuesday, hospital spokesman Stephen Rymer said.

Rusnok said he expects the injured passengers will be taken into federal custody once they are released.

"They'll be processed for return to their country of origin," he said.

State investigators have had a difficult time identifying the victims, and it could be weeks before their relatives are notified of their deaths, said OHP Lt. Pete Norwood.

"A lot of the people who were killed didn't have any documentation, and the people who were riding with them didn't know them very well," Norwood said.

Norwood said the OHP investigation is continuing into exactly what caused the accident, but said state investigators won't focus on the immigration status of the victims.

"We didn't care if they were illegal or not -- they were hurt and we wanted to make sure they got treated," Norwood said.