PDA

View Full Version : thoughts on mark mcguire

fadada1
1/14/2007, 10:34 AM
was wondering what your thoughts were about mcguire not getting into the HOF.

more specifically, as they just said on the sports reporters (**** off, ******), he has never tested positive for anything, never admitted anything, and nothing has been found to truley implicate him. that being said, do you put barry bonds in the HOF???

mcguire may have done something (probably), but he was a big man to begin with. so, by taking something like creatine, he's going to get bigger and stronger because he was already halfway there... as opposed to doing "true" steroids to get gigantic. bonds, on the other hand, was NOT big (and an average sized man at best). anyone that thinks he didn't do something stronger than creatine is a complete fool.

so if bonds gets in, does that open the door for mcguire, palmero, pete rose, joe jackson (he should be in anyway)?????

thoughts???

Newbomb Turk
1/14/2007, 10:40 AM
well, Palmero and Rose have been caught at what they are doing, so that's a problem for them.

as far as McGwire, I think the whole congressional hearing thing cast a bad light on him. Refusing to answer any questions. I do think that if Bonds gets in, McGwire should too.

Scott D
1/14/2007, 10:43 AM
McGwire took Andro, not Creatine...that was Griffey that took Creatine.

Andro is a derivative of steriods. Also, between the allegations made by Canseco in his book, and his overly lawyered response of "I'm not here to talk about the past, I'm here to talk about the future" to every question asked him by Congress he's done himself no favors.

I like the idea they had on the radio the other night. Create a 'Cheaters' wing of the HoF, and the initial members can be Rose, the banned players from the 1919 White Sox (w/ the exception of Joe Jackson), and McGwire for starters. Bonds gets an automatic spot in that group the day after he retires.

McGwire just needs to admit or flatly deny if he did anything illegal during the course of his career, and he'd probably find that hitting instructor job that he covets so much.

King Crimson
1/14/2007, 10:49 AM
the fascination with the home run makes baseball a lesser game IMO. i could care less about McGwire or Sosa. that MLB has ****ed themselves, doesn't ruin the game....but makes a difference with kids.

i played every sport growing up (like every kid in Oklahoma), but it was baseball in the summer i loved the best. now, kids don't think that way.

royalfan5
1/14/2007, 11:06 AM
I really don't care, MLB players have been cheating and using drugs to get ahead for years. Amphetimine use has been around in baseball since the invention of amphetimine. None of this is anything new, and I doubt it will change to much in the near future. Where is all the outrage over football players using steroids? Nobody seems to got after suspended football players like they do baseball players.

jk the sooner fan
1/14/2007, 11:23 AM
if you let one in, you have to let them all in

once barry bonds breaks the steroid barrier, the rest will follow.....slowly, but they will

Beef
1/14/2007, 11:30 AM
I'm not a big fan of career .263 hitters being in the HOF. There's more to being a great baseball player than hitting homeruns, and Mac doesn't bring much else to the table. Drugs or no drugs.

Scott D
1/14/2007, 11:53 AM
if you let one in, you have to let them all in

once barry bonds breaks the steroid barrier, the rest will follow.....slowly, but they will

surprizingly, I think mcgwire may be the first steriod barrier one to cross in. Of course that also depends on how much longer Bonds ends up playing.

OCUDad
1/14/2007, 12:22 PM
As long as baseball writers, not players, elect the inductees, and as long as a subjective criterion like "character" is used, entry to the HOF will be a crapshoot.

Based on numbers alone, Rose and Joe Jackson should be in, Bonds should get in on the first ballot, and McGwire is borderline and debatable. Let us not forget Roger Clemens, who should be a lock but who is also dogged by steroid rumors.

Based on character, Ty Cobb and Cap Anson should be removed from the HOF, for starters.

Induction into the Baseball HOF has become a personality contest. :pop: