PDA

View Full Version : Router/video game question

OUDoc
1/13/2007, 10:05 PM
I've got an older Linksys wireless router. A wireless laptop, my wired desktop, a wired XBox and a wired PS3 are all connected. Occassionally, both the XBox and the PS3 show no internet connection, but at the same time, both computers can connect to the internet without any problems. When one gaming system is out, so is the other. I try to reset the router. Usually helps when the computers don't connect, but doesn't help with the gaming systems. At other times, they are randomly reconnected without intervention from me. I can't figure out the pattern. Is there anything going on that's obvious to the computer-savvy? Should I buy a new router? Any thoughts?

Penguin
1/13/2007, 11:18 PM
You should probably try to update the router's firmware.

My wife plays World of Warcraft and she used to have weird connection problems. We thought it was a problem with the computer or the game. We were shocked to learn that the problem was with the router's firmware (the software loaded onto the router). We updated that and she had no more problems. That was also a Linksys.

I would go to the linksys website (http://www.linksys.com) and click on downloads at the very top. There is a pulldown menu and you can choose your model. They should have instructions on how to update your router's firmware (assuming there is a new version). IIRC, the instructions were very clear and easy to follow.

Good luck.

OUDoc
1/14/2007, 11:43 AM
I didn't think of that. Thanks.