PDA

View Full Version : Is anybody with me on this?

royalfan5
1/13/2007, 05:59 PM
I believe that college football would be more interesting in it's current format, if games were allowed to end in ties at the end of regulation again. I think the tie would make for an even more entertaining discussion during BCS season, when there are unbeaten teams, and teams without out a defeat. Since there will be no playoff because people love the tradition of the bowls, why not enhance that tradition by reviving the tradition of the tie? Viva La ties.

BoomerSooner247
1/13/2007, 06:14 PM
maybe redo the tie format but not get rid of them completely

BASSooner
1/13/2007, 06:21 PM
nooooo ties should NOT be brought back. Some people consider ties to be even worse than losses. Keep the ties out of this and not to be an *** or anything but pleaaase don't tell me that you brought this up because of the fiesta bowl.

royalfan5
1/13/2007, 06:23 PM
nooooo ties should NOT be brought back. Some people consider ties to be even worse than losses. Keep the ties out of this and not to be an *** or anything but pleaaase don't tell me that you brought this up because of the fiesta bowl.
Not because of the Fiesta Bowl at all. I love ties. Some games are so evenly played that it's only fair that it ends in draw. I campaign for ties about this time every year, and will until ties are restored to their rightful places in college football.

BASSooner
1/13/2007, 06:24 PM
ahhh understandable.

Sooner_Bob
1/13/2007, 06:28 PM
No more ties . . . change the format, but please no more ties.

Rhino
1/13/2007, 06:37 PM
When ties happen, no team wins and everyone loses.

OklahomaTuba
1/13/2007, 06:38 PM
Oh HELL no.

That was one of the worst things about college football IMO. Playing to a tie is just idiotic.

Kind of like deciding who plays for a national championship through some computers and sports writers, and not on the field playing the actual game.

Blues1
1/13/2007, 06:51 PM
Ties Leave Nothing but Questons -- With have enough Questions without ties...

I can remember some teams (back in the old days) That might have 2 or 3 ties during the Season -- Maybe after 4 overtimes you could have a tie just to protect the players from Injures or something worse...!!

8timechamps
1/13/2007, 06:57 PM
If you like kissing your sister, then vote yes.

royalfan5
1/13/2007, 07:00 PM
another great thing about the tie, is that when two teams you hate play both can go away unhappy.

XingTheRubicon
1/13/2007, 07:05 PM
another great thing about the tie, is that when two teams you hate play both can go away unhappy.

Not true in '84

kevpks
1/13/2007, 07:22 PM
I think college should adopt the NFL format for overtime. While we're at it they should adopt a lot of other NFL rules (replay, down by contact, clock rules, etc.). The NFL is the most successful sports organization; they must be doing something right.

Texas Golfer
1/13/2007, 07:31 PM
I think college should adopt the NFL format for overtime. While we're at it they should adopt a lot of other NFL rules (replay, down by contact, clock rules, etc.). The NFL is the most successful sports organization; they must be doing something right.

I hate ties! And I don't like the NFL method of OT. Some on these boards have complained that we lost the Fiesta Bowl because we lost the coin flip and had to go first. In the NFL, you lose the coin toss and you may not even get to go last.

Sooner_Bob
1/13/2007, 07:37 PM
If you like kissing your sister, then vote yes.

Is she hawt?

Rocker
1/13/2007, 07:39 PM
Well looks Soonerfans posters don't like ties. only 1 vote yes the rest NO!

Texas Golfer
1/13/2007, 07:41 PM
Well looks Soonerfans posters don't like ties. only 1 vote yes the rest NO!

And the one "yes" vote was by the originator of the thread.

starrca23
1/13/2007, 07:48 PM
You practice all week for one game and then you aren't gonna decide it on the field? Please this is a stupid argument. Put me in the "I would rather loose than tie" column.

OzarkSooner
1/13/2007, 08:13 PM
Two words come to mind....no, three...

Fred Akers = Loser!
:rolleyes:

StoopTroup
1/13/2007, 08:41 PM
NO TIES ! ! !

Especially those bolo ties !

http://www.bolotie.com/case114l.jpg

BoomerSooner247
1/13/2007, 09:33 PM
If you like kissing your sister, then vote yes.is she blood related to you? :cool:

Jdog
1/13/2007, 10:07 PM
Wasn't it D.Royal who coined the phrase "a tie is like kissing your sister"

Royalfan5 – is your post a Freudian thing?

royalfan5
1/13/2007, 10:22 PM
Wasn't it D.Royal who coined the phrase "a tie is like kissing your sister"

Royalfan5 – is your post a Freudian thing?
sorry, I'm an only child.

SleestakSooner
1/13/2007, 10:41 PM
One of the great quotes in sports is, "A tie is like kissing your sister." It was coined by Michigan State University head coach Duffy Daugherty.

YWIA

SleestakSooner
1/13/2007, 10:43 PM
Not as many people are aware of baseball great George Brett's variation on the "like kissing your sister" analogy. In his infinitely colloquial fashion, Brett is quoted as having said, "If a tie is like kissing your sister, losing is like kissing you grandmother with her teeth out."

kevpks
1/13/2007, 10:44 PM
I hate ties! And I don't like the NFL method of OT. Some on these boards have complained that we lost the Fiesta Bowl because we lost the coin flip and had to go first. In the NFL, you lose the coin toss and you may not even get to go last.

The NFL system isn't perfect, but at least it is played the same way as the rest of the game. Starting from the 25 is ridiculous. They should at least start teams from the 35 or 45 and make them earn field goal range.

Rhino
1/13/2007, 11:54 PM
The NFL system isn't perfect, but at least it is played the same way as the rest of the game. Starting from the 25 is ridiculous. They should at least start teams from the 35 or 45 and make them earn field goal range. The 25-yard start isn't ideal, but it's 1000 times better than a sudden death overtime based on a coin flip.

royalfan5
1/13/2007, 11:56 PM
The 25-yard start isn't ideal, but it's 1000 times better than a sudden death overtime based on a coin flip.
Neither is as bitchin as a tie though. Life is filled with unsatisfying endings, why shouldn't football be too?

kevpks
1/14/2007, 12:20 AM
The 25-yard start isn't ideal, but it's 1000 times better than a sudden death overtime based on a coin flip.

I just don't like taking the return game out of overtime. Playmakers in the return game should be given a chance to make an impact in overtime. If a team has a conservative style based on getting good field position through punts and the return game it is unfair that they are taken out of it in overtime.

TUSooner
1/14/2007, 12:42 AM
I just don't like taking the return game out of overtime. Playmakers in the return game should be given a chance to make an impact in overtime. If a team has a conservative style based on getting good field position through punts and the return game it is unfair that they are taken out of it in overtime.
I agree. I'd like to see a "sudden death + 1 possession" or something where each team gets at least 1 possession. Otherwise, I think some games should end in ties; because sometimes neither team "deserves" to win or lose.

TUSooner
1/14/2007, 12:43 AM
Neither is as bitchin as a tie though. Life is filled with unsatisfying endings, why shouldn't football be too?
ymssra....

Mjcpr
1/14/2007, 12:44 AM
IMO, it should be the college OT system but when one team scores first on their very first OT play, that should be the end of it and that team should win.

BoomerSooner247
1/14/2007, 12:53 AM
IMO, it should be the college OT system but when one team scores first on their very first OT play, that should be the end of it and that team should win.lol :D true but i think that would go against the whole "life isn't fair" deal

goingoneight
1/14/2007, 12:53 AM
I like the idea and all, but do you really want the argument of an aggie or a Baylor Bear on your record as a tie? At least if you lose you can admit your team overlooked them or just sucked on that day.

Ash
1/14/2007, 03:16 AM
why go soccer up the whole danged thing?

arcman46
1/14/2007, 08:00 AM

The NFL format is probably the worse way in the world of settling ties. Often times the first time, especially with a reliable kicker, who gets the ball wins. Incredibly unfair.

sooner n houston
1/14/2007, 10:32 AM
I prefer the college OT over the NFL's. Keep the tie breaker, please!

Scott D
1/14/2007, 10:38 AM
I'd rather see them keep overtime in college, just make the offenses start at the 45 instead of the 25.

Pricetag
1/14/2007, 11:44 AM
I'd rather see them keep overtime in college, just make the offenses start at the 45 instead of the 25.
The idea of including the return game was interesting. What about having them kick off from the ten or something? Would that be too great an advantage for either side?

Scott D
1/14/2007, 11:48 AM
nah, return game isn't so important. I agree with Coach Stoops in that you need to give a defense a fighting chance to force an offense to put up a goose egg.

Sooner_Bob
1/14/2007, 01:02 PM

Works for me . . .

birddog
1/14/2007, 02:46 PM
no.

OUmillenium
1/14/2007, 02:56 PM

Brilliant!(2 Irish guys clang mugs)

Now I would have something to pull for when these games occur...
OSU v. UT
UT v. USC
USC v. Notre Dumb
Notre Dumb v. LSU

Now it all makes sense!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:texan: sux

badger
1/14/2007, 03:38 PM
i am still not awake and thought "ties" meant those things you guys wear when you want to dress nicely, so please, disregard my vote for ties.

(ughhhh, i can't believe i just voted for that and for such a stupid reason)

TIES?!?!?! You want our game last year with Baylor (and by last year, I meant 2005) to be a TIE?!?!?!?! Nooooooooooooooooooooo, helllllllllllllllllllllll noooooooooooooooooo

Jdog
1/14/2007, 04:52 PM

You sure you're an only child?

BITCHIN????? You been watch that 70's Show?

BigDeezy
1/14/2007, 07:16 PM
Ties are only for weddings and funerals.

soonerloyal
1/14/2007, 08:28 PM
I was a bit older than those characters in the 70's show, still...we NEVER said "Bitchin'". That's eighties.

Never said dork or dweeb either. That show's researchers sucked.

crimson&cream
1/14/2007, 08:53 PM
Add pass interference to that. In college it encourages it as it's only a 10 yds penalty.

TUSooner
1/14/2007, 11:13 PM
I was a bit older than those characters in the 70's show, still...we NEVER said "Bitchin'". That's eighties.

Never said dork or dweeb either. That show's researchers sucked.

When I was in 5th grade in California in 1960-something, "bitchin" was in wide use, except in my house where I was advised never to say it.

OUTromBoNado
1/15/2007, 05:29 AM

The college method of OT is at least fair with both teams getting an equal chance. Not sudden death. In a game that close, why let a coin toss decide it? If anything, the NFL should adopt the college OT rules.

And for the record, the NFL is not the most successful sports organization because of how the game is played. The NFL has the most success because they are the most successful sports organization at marketing. NCAA football is next in line with the combination of marketing and gameplay.

As far as the pros go, the NBA probably has a better product in terms of game play. However, the NBA is poorly marketed, so they lose.

stoopified
1/15/2007, 02:06 PM
Man I don't even own a tie.:)