PDA

View Full Version : Today reminds me of UNLV 1987 game

OUmillenium
1/13/2007, 02:11 PM
It was almost exactly 20 years ago to the day that OK experienced a terrible ice storm on a Saturday in which #1 ranked UNLV was coming to the Lloyd Noble center. Was the place empty? Hell no it was packed and rocking!!!!!!!!!!!

I think it was the greatest win at that point in OU basketball history. This was one of the funnest days of my childhood/Jr High years.

I was in 9th grade. Began following OU hoops about 3 years before. Really missed Wayman when he did not return for Sr year.

Back to the UNLV game. We were preseason #4 in SI that year(remember the pic of Boz with Choo in a headlock?) so my hopes were way up. OU lost to UNLV at UNLV in the preseason NIT, I remember listening to that one on the radio. Sooners Illustrated had really hyped up incoming Jucos Harvey Grant and Ricky Grace as well as returning big man Stacey King. We had a solid senior cast with Tmac, Choo, DJ, Chuck Watson, and Ron Roberts.

UNLV's studs were Armon Gilliam, Freddie Banks, Gerald Patio(sp?) and maybe a young Stacey Augmon. Also had a good point guard and a few other guys I can't remember.

I acted out the game on the nerf hoop in my hallway all morning waiting for the actual game to come on.

Remember the controversial 3 pointers? Great stuff. Seems like Choo Kennedy or DJ hit the go ahead shot with about 11 secs left. UNLV runs it down takes a shot, then Jarvis Basnight misses the follow in jam(would have been game winner) and OU wins by 1, students rush court, John Brooks screaming Jimminy Christmas. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Think today's game with the whorns will have any such electricity?

birddog
1/13/2007, 02:15 PM
i was in the 7th grade frenching my first chick. after the win i ran around celebrating with my mullet flowing and my braces shining brightly. she looked at me like i was an idiot.

i never got to 2nd base that day, because of that win.

:mad:

birddog
1/13/2007, 02:17 PM
Think today's game with the whorns will have any such electricity?

might be another 20 years.:(

OUmillenium
1/13/2007, 02:25 PM
Mark Wade was the UNLV point guard. He had some kind of OU connection. Either we barely missed signing him, or he came here then transferred...I can't remember.

OUmillenium
1/13/2007, 02:27 PM
might be another 20 years.:(

Ha, you may be right!

Although, I think Capel will bring in some higher level recruits and be able to coach offense. When Maze and Crocker are Jrs, I think we will be lighting it up.

birddog
1/13/2007, 03:16 PM
i think capel will do a great job here, mainly because he can recruit.

but in norman, we evidently need to find the right combination to bring fans to ALL the games.

ks had a very successful tenure here but couldn't generate enough fan support with his "boring style."

hopefully capel can utilize his talent with an "exciting" style AND have a top 15 ranking on a regular basis. that'll be enough to bring the kind of excitement we've seen on a few occasions throughout the years.

but remember for every unlv 1987 there were a few coppin states thrown in there along the way.

tejas 71
ou 55.

King Crimson
1/13/2007, 03:49 PM
but remember for every unlv 1987 there were a few coppin states thrown in there along the way.

oh yeah, Billy was a co-founder of cupcake city when it came to OOC schedules....now, also, Billy also said that since he came up through small school ball at Lamar that he wanted to give smaller schools the payday and a chance he never got. i imagine some of that is true...

OUstud
1/13/2007, 05:49 PM
Didn't we play Aggy and Maryland during an ice storm too? And the jumbotron kept going out?

OUmillenium
1/14/2007, 04:03 PM
oh yeah, Billy was a co-founder of cupcake city when it came to OOC schedules....now, also, Billy also said that since he came up through small school ball at Lamar that he wanted to give smaller schools the payday and a chance he never got. i imagine some of that is true...

Definitely do not mind some cupcakes on the schedule early. Especially for a run and gun team, you need to experience success shooting and scoring on your homecourt early to generate confidence.

Billy always scheduled some big time games as well.
UNLV & NC St in 87
Pitt & FSU(not huge) in 88
At Pitt and Seton Hall in 89
Duke 90
Ark 91

These are just the ones I remember off the top of my head.

You also don't want to overschedule when you are playing in preseason NITs, Maui classics, Chaminades, and of course the All-college.

Remember the 89 Maui classic? We played somebody(?), Ohio St in semis, then Michigan in the finals.

King Crimson
1/14/2007, 04:08 PM
millenium:

http://soonerstats.com has all the seasons from those great Tubbsy years.

for example: http://soonerstats.com/mbb/seasons/schedule.cfm?SeasonID=1986

OUmillenium
1/15/2007, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the links King, I'm going to check them out right now. The OU bask game programs are great for history and stats. I just do not have any on hand.