PDA

View Full Version : Longar Suspended Two Games: Kevin Weiberg a Wus

SoonerShark
1/12/2007, 10:32 PM
IRVING, TX - The Big 12 Conference today announced the two-game suspension of Oklahoma men's basketball student-athlete Longar Longar for an elbowing incident during the OU at Texas Tech game on January 6.

On an-inbound play, Longar struck Texas Tech student-athlete Esmir Rizvic with an extended elbow after receiving the ball with 17:05 left in the second half. As a result of the contact, Rizvic sustained a fractured eye socket and underwent corrective surgery on January 8.

"After careful evaluation of videotape and review of Oklahoma's written report, I have concluded that Mr. Longar's act is in violation of the Big 12 Conference's Principles and Standards of Sportsmanship," said Commissioner Kevin Weiberg. "On the play, Mr. Longar leads with a high elbow as he pivots after catching an in-bound pass. His elbow made severe and excessive contact with the face of the Texas Tech player causing significant injury. While I do not believe Mr. Longar intended to cause serious injury, and he has no prior history of this kind of incident, I view this as a dangerous and unacceptable play. Therefore, a suspension from competition is warranted. We simply must convey a message that this kind of play will not be condoned."

On appeal by Oklahoma, the Conference's findings and suspension of Mr. Longar were upheld by the Big 12's Sportsmanship Appeal Board. The Appeal Board consists of the three past chairs of the Council of Faculty Athletics Representatives and the two future chairs of the Board of Directors of Athletics. Its decisions are final. Those hearing the appeal were Mike Alden, Athletics Director, University of Missouri; Mike Holen, Faculty Athletics Representative, Kansas State University; and Gerald Lage, Faculty Athletics Representative, Oklahoma State University. Texas Tech Athletics Director Gerald Myers recused himself, while Texas A&M Faculty Athletics Representative Tom Adair was unavailable and out of the country.

Longar's suspension takes place immediately. He will sit out Oklahoma's games January 13 at Texas and January 17 vs. Nebraska. In serving his suspension, Longar may practice and travel with the team but is not permitted to suit up or participate in any pre-game or game activities.

"It is unfortunate that Mr. Rizvic was injured on this play, and we wish him a full and speedy recovery," added Weiberg. "Although Oklahoma disagreed with the decision in this case, I appreciate their cooperation and professionalism as we processed this difficult matter."

The Conference office considers this matter closed and will have no further comment.

SoonerShark
1/12/2007, 10:37 PM
The act in question was not what weasel Commissioner Kevin Weiberg determined. It was a hard play, which caused an inadvertent injury to the Tech player. Weiberg appears to be on his knees in front of Bobby Knight, worshiping or performing some other more lurid act.

SoonerShark
1/12/2007, 10:39 PM
What is Kevin Weiberg's e-mail address? He is the same idiot who ensures December night games in Kansas City. He should be crucified.

boomersooner82
1/12/2007, 11:11 PM
I'd have to see the tape again, but I remember the broadcasters talking about it at the time, and on the replay, I didn't think he "lead with his elbow". To me it looked like he was leaning backward trying to avoid contact. Weiberg's ball-less.

Soonerus
1/12/2007, 11:38 PM
The suspension is just wrong...maybe it is time for OU to look for a new conference affiliation...Weiberg (strong OSU ties) is an idiot...

SoonerMom2
1/13/2007, 12:05 AM
The suspension is just wrong...maybe it is time for OU to look for a new conference affiliation...Weiberg (strong OSU ties) is an idiot...

Weiberg is the same jerk that didn't see anything wrong with the officiating at TT in 2005. Also same jerk that said Pres Boren shouldn't be saying anything about the Oregon bad officiating.

Time for Weiberg to go. If anyone has his email, please post because have never found any contact information for their lowlife. OU needs to tell the Big 12 to shove it IMHO!

Bobby Knight HITS a player and nothing happens. In a game situation that no one with half a brain thinks is intentional, our player gets suspended. Big 12 is worthless and Weiberg needs to spend more time with his family!

Soonerus
1/13/2007, 12:12 AM
Weiberg is the same jerk that didn't see anything wrong with the officiating at TT in 2005. Also same jerk that said Pres Boren shouldn't be saying anything about the Oregon bad officiating.

Time for Weiberg to go. If anyone has his email, please post because have never found any contact information for their lowlife. OU needs to tell the Big 12 to shove it IMHO!

Bobby Knight HITS a player and nothing happens. In a game situation that no one with half a brain thinks is intentional, our player gets suspended. Big 12 is worthless and Weiberg needs to spend more time with his family!

Agreed....

kevpks
1/13/2007, 12:13 AM
I wonder what the national media thinks of this one. If anyone finds any articles, please post them.

Soonerus
1/13/2007, 12:32 AM
It is a joke....

Readyfor8
1/13/2007, 02:37 AM
Weiberg needs to go or Oklahoma needs to drop the BigXII. I wonder which would be chosen ifit was put on the table that way. He is clearly not impartial when it comes to disputes involving the University of Oklahoma.

I can't remember once when Weiberg has ruled in favor of OU.

OUSKINS
1/13/2007, 09:19 AM
Wow, that's all I can say, wow. Bobby Knight owns that man.

william_brasky
1/13/2007, 09:47 AM
This just effin' blows my mind.

Forget the incident itself.

LL wasn't even ejected from the game and now has to serve a 2 game suspension.

Weiberg eats Bobby Knight's hotdog.

SoonerMom2
1/13/2007, 10:23 AM
Weiberg needs to go or Oklahoma needs to drop the BigXII. I wonder which would be chosen ifit was put on the table that way. He is clearly not impartial when it comes to disputes involving the University of Oklahoma.

I can't remember once when Weiberg has ruled in favor of OU.

Think it is time for Pres Boren to put that on the table! Agree with you 100% on Weiberg and his obvious bias against OU time and time again. He favors the Aggie schools. I don't see how you can suspend a player for two games that was not ejected from the game. When Weiberg didn't seem to see anything wrong with Knight slapping the player, I knew for certain that he was in Knight's backpocket. Knight is a bully that someone should stand up to but our weak OSU Big 12 Commissioner will do anything that goes against OU. How did the jerk become Big 12 Commissioner?

william_brasky
1/13/2007, 10:37 AM
This situation is much like Knight's view on rape: we might as well relax and enjoy it.

crawfish
1/13/2007, 10:57 AM
I'd be in full support of the athletic department if they decided to sit out of the next two games in protest. This is ridiculous.

Ground_Attack
1/13/2007, 12:24 PM
what will Weiberg do to Curry for the elbow in the KU game?

OUSKINS
1/13/2007, 01:07 PM
Also, will the refs be suspended two games? I mean, if a player does something on the court that warrants a two-game suspension AND the refs witness it (which obviously they did), why would there not be consequences for them??

aurorasooner
1/13/2007, 01:37 PM
http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/9527/knightownsweiberg2dn8.jpg

OUmillenium
1/13/2007, 01:55 PM
This just effin' blows my mind.

Forget the incident itself.

LL wasn't even ejected from the game and now has to serve a 2 game suspension.
Weiberg eats Bobby Knight's hotdog.

Good point, Knight is out of line and this Weiberg joker is obviously incompetent.

I like the way this thread is going. I think we need to step up and really protest Weiberg's actions(I'm open to ideas but no nude sit-ins please).

OU out of the Big 12? No problem here. Things aren't the same in football since we lost the NU game on a yearly basis.

stoopified
1/13/2007, 02:55 PM
Weyberg would proably defend himself,IF he awsn't on his knees with his mouth full.

william_brasky
1/13/2007, 03:00 PM
the following bumper sticker was seen on Weiberg's Mini Cooper.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f228/phatti2dopes/i-play-the-rusty-trombone.gif

SoonerShark
1/13/2007, 04:01 PM
What is Weiberg's or the Big XII office's e-mail address? I see no links on the Big XII site.

OUmillenium
1/13/2007, 04:20 PM
Weibergs email is giant******[email protected]

Bruiser53
1/13/2007, 05:05 PM
Is there a video of the incident?

GrapevineSooner
1/13/2007, 06:58 PM
LITOFT

It's not that hard. :rolleyes:

SleestakSooner
1/13/2007, 08:57 PM
http://www.big12sports.com/aboutbig12/commissioner.html

Know your enemy folks. He's a KSU grad... figures. I could not locate his email but I did find one for what looks like his right hand man. The guy is too chicken **** to broadcast his own contact info.

here is something a google search turned up...

Big 12 Conference
2201 Stemmons Freeway, Suite 2805
Dallas, Texas 75207
Phone: 214-742-1212
Fax: 214-753-0145

Internet Address: www.big12sports.com (http://www.big12sports.com/)
Commissioner: Kevin Weiberg - Bio (http://big12sports.ocsn.com/aboutbig12/commissioner.html)
Bowl Media Contact: Bob Burda ([email protected])

I think a few phone calls and faxes might be in order ;)

SleestakSooner
1/13/2007, 09:02 PM
Well what do you know... neither one of those phone numbers is working. Unbelievable! This guy is an asshat supreme :texan:

He can try to hide but I am sure we will find him eventually.

SleestakSooner
1/13/2007, 09:04 PM
heh just sent bob an email requesting the new number, let's see if he falls for it. :D

mobilesteve
1/13/2007, 09:27 PM
Don't forget that Wieberg would not assist us on either the Tech or Oregon game, he had no problem issuing an apology to Mizzou when they got screwed by a bad call against ISU. The call was no where in the league of the calls we had at Oregon or Ttech. F Weiberg!

SleestakSooner
1/13/2007, 09:48 PM
It looks like the Big XII offices have moved and I am having no luck finding information on where the new office is located. Hilton Hotels has taken over the old office and had no idea where they moved to.

SleestakSooner
1/13/2007, 11:19 PM
http://www.leagueoffans.org/2bcs.html

This organization is run by Ralph Nader and he has a big hard on for Weiberg as well it seems. They want to make the BCS defunct and create a true championship for college football.

The site also has the old contact information listed for the Big XII offices, I have asked them to update the info and get back to me with it...

more to come. :)

SleestakSooner
1/13/2007, 11:23 PM
I guess this (http://www.okstate.com/fls/200/memorial/weiberg.htm) is the reason it was mentioned that Kevin Weiberg has OSU ties. Seems a couple of his relations are or were employed by the Pokes.

GrapevineSooner
1/14/2007, 12:36 AM
Their offices are just off John Carpenter freeway in Las Colinas.

I can show you where they are if you really want to know. ;)

GrapevineSooner
1/14/2007, 12:38 AM
Don't forget that Wieberg would not assist us on either the Tech or Oregon game, he had no problem issuing an apology to Mizzou when they got screwed by a bad call against ISU. The call was no where in the league of the calls we had at Oregon or Ttech. F Weiberg!

In fairness to him and the league, Big 12 refs didn't blow those calls in Oregon. They did in Iowa State.

Hence the reason for the apology in that instance.

sooner518
1/14/2007, 12:55 AM
"Leading with the elbows..."?!?!?!?!

While leaning backwards?!?!?!

What video are these guys watching?! This happens every single game. It just so happenned that the Tech guy was in the way. If the Tech guy had just received a black eye from this elbow, would LL have been suspended?

SoonerShark
1/14/2007, 11:17 AM
In fairness to him and the league, Big 12 refs didn't blow those calls in Oregon. They did in Iowa State.

Hence the reason for the apology in that instance.

True. But he has proven to be gutless by not stating the obvious. Also, it was a Big 12 crew that gave Tech a first down for going 9 yards out of the necessary 10 on that fourth down play in Lubbock. Maybe he just gets down on his knees for Tech.

SoonerShark
1/15/2007, 10:56 AM
Kevin Weiberg's complicity in suspending Oklahoma's Longar, a gentle giant, for a type of play that is both acceptable and standard shows that Wieiberg is either the village idiot or Bobby Knight's temple prostitute, worshiping on his knees before the Lubbock bully. Shame on Mr. Weiberg. And I felt he was solely a crook for being bought by the Kansas City group that allowed a Big 12 Championship football game to be held in frigid weather in the nighttime four of the last seven years. If Mr. Weiberg were to begin his career in diaper home delivery, humanity would be better served since his integrity as conference commissioner is obviously non-existent.

Collier11
1/15/2007, 06:37 PM
Well, much to my surprise Castiglione came out strong with his disapproval, I dont know where the full release is but here is part of it from soonersports.com

Castiglione Upset by Ruling
Courtesy: SoonerSports.com
Release: 01/12/2007

Send this article to a friend Print

Longar Longar
View larger Courtesy: SoonerSports.com
Longar Longar

NORMAN, Okla. -- University of Oklahoma Athletics Director Joe Castiglione issued the following statement Friday evening.

The statement is in response to a two-game suspension handed down on OU men's basketball player Longar Longar.

“We all regret that an injury occurred in this situation and continue to wish a full and quick recovery to Esmir Rizvic.

"At the same time, we are very disappointed in the Big 12 Conference decision as it relates to Longar. We strongly support Longar and our team and utilized every avenue available to us, including an appeal, to the fullest extent.

"We strenuously disagree that suspension from competition is warranted.

OU_Sooners75
1/15/2007, 08:11 PM
http://www.big12sports.com/aboutbig12/commissioner.html

Know your enemy folks. He's a KSU grad... figures. I could not locate his email but I did find one for what looks like his right hand man. The guy is too chicken **** to broadcast his own contact info.

here is something a google search turned up...

Big 12 Conference
2201 Stemmons Freeway, Suite 2805
Dallas, Texas 75207
Phone: 214-742-1212
Fax: 214-753-0145

Internet Address: www.big12sports.com (http://www.big12sports.com/)
Commissioner: Kevin Weiberg - Bio (http://big12sports.ocsn.com/aboutbig12/commissioner.html)
Bowl Media Contact: Bob Burda ([email protected])

I think a few phone calls and faxes might be in order ;)

Yes he is a KSU grad...however, he had a nephew die in the OSU Basketball Plane crash. His Nephew Jared btw. He has ties to the school from Stoolwater!

SleestakSooner
1/15/2007, 08:15 PM
I guess this (http://www.okstate.com/fls/200/memorial/weiberg.htm) is the reason it was mentioned that Kevin Weiberg has OSU ties. Seems a couple of his relations are or were employed by the Pokes.

Yes as the above post alludes to...

King Crimson
1/15/2007, 09:11 PM
hell, they've already mentioned the "Oklahoma-Texas Tech incident" twice in the first 5 minutes of the KU-MU game.

hang in there Longar.

SleestakSooner
1/16/2007, 05:21 PM
Big XII Office
400 E. John Carpenter Freeway, Irving TX, 75309

Big 12 Communications Director Rob Carolla at 469-524-1011 or via email ([email protected]).

We can thank Yolanda at the Irving Chamber of Commerce for this updated address. Still working on the actual email addy for Weiberg. It is probably something like [email protected]

msteudem
1/18/2007, 12:46 AM
Durring the Women's ****** game tonight one of the girls for lOSUr did the same exact move that Longar did and elbowed Amanda Thompson in the face. There was an offensive foul called on the sheep, and it looked a lot worse than the Longar play. :eek: Amanda didn't break an eye socket or anything but I still want the cowpokee suspended for 2 games :rolleyes: