PDA

View Full Version : Why do people hate Hispanics?

Penguin
1/12/2007, 12:48 PM
People throw fits because some people say the pledge of allegiance in Spanish? It's still the pledge of allegiance.

People get mad because some businesses accept pesos? It's still currency.

Get over it, people. Not all people speak God's language and some people don't have God's currency.

Some idiots just have to find something to bitch and moan about.

Penguin
1/12/2007, 12:51 PM
A local businessman here in Houston is receiving death threats because he accepts pesos.

My God in Heaven. What a reason to kill a man. He must be the next Hitler.

SoonerStormchaser
1/12/2007, 12:51 PM
True.

I don't have a problem with the Pizza Peso thingy.

I have a problem with those bastages entering the country ILLEGALLY!

yermom
1/12/2007, 12:53 PM
wouldn't you want to use dollars if you were in Mexico?

i'd bet you could charge more for taking Pesos (is that illegal?)

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/12/2007, 12:54 PM
And so the fall of the Roman empire began one day from a post by Hypogriff on coliseumfans.com...

TheHumanAlphabet
1/12/2007, 12:55 PM
Uh, I have a problem with the Mexican pledge being said at a school.

I have problems with illegal aliens crossing our borders.

I have a problem with illegal aliens getting anything from this country except for a ride back to where they come from...

yermom
1/12/2007, 12:57 PM
i could agree with those things

Widescreen
1/12/2007, 12:59 PM
I don't know that it's hatred of hispanics. I think it's more related to the constant bending-over-backwards to cater to people who aren't supposed to be here in the first place (illegal aliens). And if they are here legally, they should learn our language and use our money, etc. If I moved to Germany, I wouldn't expect everyone to provide tax forms in English, customer service phone menus in English (press 1 for billing, press 2 for technical support), street signs in English, and accept US dollars at stores and restaurants. I'd learn Germanian and use Marks and Euros. The people that run the cafeteria where I work are nearly all hispanic immigrants but they all speak enough English to do their job - the cashier speaks excellent English. I truly respect the effort they put in to adapt.

TexasSooner01
1/12/2007, 01:00 PM
Uh, I have a problem with the Mexican pledge being said at a school.

I have problems with illegal aliens crossing our borders.

I have a problem with illegal aliens getting anything from this country except for a ride back to where they come from...

Couldn't have been said better.

At my son's school, they have classes just for spanish speaking kids where there is no english spoken. Why? All that is doing is saying Hey it is ok to live here an not know the language.

If I were going to jump the border to another country I would learn the language and make Danmed sure my kids knew the language.

I do not hate Hispanics....the majority are nice people, However...they have a tendency to be lazy and want things handed to them b/c they are too ignorant to learn English to communicate with society.

yermom
1/12/2007, 01:03 PM
i don't get not making them learn English in school, or allowing anyone that doesn't belong here in school in the first place

as for tax forms and businesses catering to them, that has to do with money. anything that gets the money flowing easier is going to happen here

jk the sooner fan
1/12/2007, 01:07 PM
i dont think its irrational to expect immigrants to conform to some sort of assimilation......i think its possible for mexican immigrants to do this without losing any of their heritage or dignity

the pesos for pizza thing, not a huge deal but you know......its a gimmick imo....

i dont like the idea of the pledge of allegiance being recited in another language by an illegal immigrant

Dio
1/12/2007, 01:13 PM
My great-grandma came here from Norway over a century ago. She refused to even teach her kids Norwegian, so they wouldn't have to overcome a language barrier to be part of American culture like she did. Why do today's immigrants, legal or not, feel entitled to not have to speak the same language the rest of us do?

yermom
1/12/2007, 01:16 PM
because they don't have to

TheHumanAlphabet
1/12/2007, 01:20 PM
My great-grandma came here from Norway over a century ago. She refused to even teach her kids Norwegian, so they wouldn't have to overcome a language barrier to be part of American culture like she did. Why do today's immigrants, legal or not, feel entitled to not have to speak the same language the rest of us do?

Ditto, my mother tells me of one of my great grandfathers (I think great-cubed) sitting at the dinner table one day and said German would no longer be spoke in the house. They were in America and needed to speak English. They still spoke German, and in Wisconsin in the late 1800s it was a bit hard not to, but most of the time they spoke English from then on...

That's what it means assimilate and join in the concept of becoming an American.

Frozen Sooner
1/12/2007, 01:20 PM
Clarification: Are they reciting the Mexican pledge of allegiance or the U.S. pledge of allegiance in Spanish? Big difference, so far as I'm concerned. Doesn't matter what language it's recited in so long as the sentiment is there.

As for accepting pesos...WGARA? Should I start sending death threats to businesses who accept Canadian currency? Crap, I think I have a Canadian quarter in my pocket right now.

Personally, I think the assimilation argument has some legs, though not as many as people would think. First and second generation Irish and Italians still identified with Ireland and Italy pretty heavily when those waves of immigration came through. The Irish, of course, already spoke English, but a quick walk through the North End of Boston will disabuse you of any notion that the first couple waves of Italian immigrants were all that concerned with fitting in. With those caveats, though, there wasn't a HUGE effort made to publish government forms in Italian. I guess I have some sympathy for someone who immigrates legally but doesn't speak the language yet, and certainly doesn't speak it well enough to navigate a government form.

Widescreen
1/12/2007, 01:23 PM
I don't think anyone's arguing that death threats are acceptable.

sooner_born_1960
1/12/2007, 01:24 PM
If I migrated to Vietnam, I don't think I'd get all huffy if they didn't accommodate this non-Vietnamese speaking gringo.

Frozen Sooner
1/12/2007, 01:30 PM
I don't think anyone's arguing that death threats are acceptable.

Well, obviously the people making them think they're OK.

But no, I don't see anyone on this board thinking that kind of thing is all right. Hell, the guy's a private businessman. It's his business to accept payment any way he wants, so long as he also accepts U.S. dollars.

Mjcpr
1/12/2007, 01:33 PM
It's because they're brown.

Newbomb Turk
1/12/2007, 01:34 PM
I think I have a Canadian quarter in my pocket right now.

hoser.

GottaHavePride
1/12/2007, 01:40 PM
If we want to bitch about them not learning to speak English we should first consider actually passing a law making English the official language of United States government and business transactions. Right now we don't HAVE an "official" langauge, and I believe I read somewhere that during the Revolution they almost decided to use German for the Declaration and Constitution instead of English. anyway, until we officially establish a national language, what's to stop anyone from conducting business in any language they choose.

To me, if someone's loyal enough to this country to actually mean what the Pledge of Allegiance says, I don't care if they're saying it in Farsi. Half of US-born, native English-speaking kids in schools only say the pledge because someone told them they're supposed to and don't even think about what it means. I'd rather hear someone saying it sincerely in ANY language than hear someone droning through it in English.

And for currency? Currency is currency, and as far as I know it's perfectly legal for a business owner to charge an extra fee to accept money in foreign currency. Hell, most places that exchange currencies even give you different rates depending on if you're say, going from dollars to pesos vs. pesos to dollars. And if you're not somewhere that regularly exchanges money it's a lot of effort for a business owner to take the weird money to a major branch of a bank, get a terrible exchange rate from them, and get US currency back. That deseves a big surcharge to the customer if anything ever did.

EDIT: and some Hispanic chicks are HAWT. How are you supposed to hate them?

TheHumanAlphabet
1/12/2007, 01:42 PM
Clarification: Are they reciting the Mexican pledge of allegiance or the U.S. pledge of allegiance in Spanish? Big difference, so far as I'm concerned. Doesn't matter what language it's recited in so long as the sentiment is there.

Story I was refering to in Texas was the Mexican pledge in spanish at a some school function.

Frozen Sooner
1/12/2007, 01:45 PM
Well, someone who wants to be a US Citizen probably shouldn't be swearing allegiance to a foreign power. So bring out the tear gas on that one.

GHP-there is no law forbidding a surcharge for taking anything but legal tender. Pesos are not legal tender in the United States.

sooner_born_1960
1/12/2007, 01:47 PM
How many billion pesos would a pizza cost?

TheHumanAlphabet
1/12/2007, 01:50 PM
If we want to bitch about them not learning to speak English we should first consider actually passing a law making English the official language of United States government and business transactions. Right now we don't HAVE an "official" langauge, and I believe I read somewhere that during the Revolution they almost decided to use German for the Declaration and Constitution instead of English. anyway, until we officially establish a national language, what's to stop anyone from conducting business in any language they choose.

To me, if someone's loyal enough to this country to actually mean what the Pledge of Allegiance says, I don't care if they're saying it in Farsi. Half of US-born, native English-speaking kids in schools only say the pledge because someone told them they're supposed to and don't even think about what it means. I'd rather hear someone saying it sincerely in ANY language than hear someone droning through it in English.

And for currency? Currency is currency, and as far as I know it's perfectly legal for a business owner to charge an extra fee to accept money in foreign currency. Hell, most places that exchange currencies even give you different rates depending on if you're say, going from dollars to pesos vs. pesos to dollars. And if you're not somewhere that regularly exchanges money it's a lot of effort for a business owner to take the weird money to a major branch of a bank, get a terrible exchange rate from them, and get US currency back. That deseves a big surcharge to the customer if anything ever did.

EDIT: and some Hispanic chicks are HAWT. How are you supposed to hate them?

German almost won by a vote or two. It was so contenscious, that the legislatures gave up (gee great to know that they handled things as well as they do today...). By default English eventually became the language of choice, but we have no "official" language, hence the smorgasbord of languages ruled on by the courts. I doubt if we could get an official language today.

I don't have a problem with people taking different currency, per se. What I object to is that the perception in this case is that they are doing illegal aliens a favor. Is it worth a death threat? Obviously no. But people are getting tired of illegal aliens getting more and better service than tax paying legal Americans. This is like your bum and stupid sibling. They get more love and more help from their parents than you, the upstanding doing the right thing, not really needing it child. You don't really need any help, but it makes people really mad to get rewarded for doing less and goofing off and being stupid. SO why do what we need to do?

Don't know if Pizza Patron(e?) is charging a surcharge, but I would expect a lousy exchange rate...

Tear Down This Wall
1/12/2007, 01:53 PM
Two things...

(1) My wife is Mexican. She abhors American Hispanics. She says they are embarassing and live dirty.

(2) When I go to Mexico, many businesses take my American dollars as well as pesos. So, who cares?

I'll bet Pepe Frias' Batting Glove will weigh in on this sooner or later.

nanimonai
1/12/2007, 02:04 PM
It's pretty common for businesses up north to accept Canadian dollars...never heard a peep out of anyone over this.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/12/2007, 02:40 PM
It's pretty common for businesses up north to accept Canadian dollars...never heard a peep out of anyone over this.

Because the Canadian's aren't falling over themselves to sneek into the country and stay and work and drive without licenses and insurance and taking medical services that you and I have to pay for (i.e. taxes) and demanding stuff in Spanish (or in their case French) and breaking the laws, etc...

The Canadian's just buy stuff and then go home.

TexasSooner01
1/12/2007, 02:58 PM
Why do illegal aliens buy Cabbage Patch Dolls?

B/c they come with Birth Certificates.

:D

Sooner98
1/12/2007, 03:13 PM
If I migrated to Vietnam, I don't think I'd get all huffy if they didn't accommodate this non-Vietnamese speaking gringo.

I would. I mean if I migrated legally or illegally to Vietnam, they had better let me live there, despite what their immigration laws are. Also, they had better accept my American currency at their businesses, provide all services for me in English, and teach my children at their schools using only the English language. Any attempt to deport me, to make Vietnamese their official language, or to not accomodate my every need, including providing me free health care at their expense, means that they are nothing but a bunch of ignorant, hate-filled racists!! I'll then organize mass protests in the streets to challenge their horrible injustices and hardships that they will have put me through! :mad:

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/12/2007, 03:19 PM
THEY TOOK OUR JOBS!!!!!

http://myspace-433.vo.llnwd.net/00705/33/49/705579433_s.jpg

blueyedsooner
1/12/2007, 03:29 PM
Our morning assembly the other day was led by our spanish teacher. She did the pledge to both the American and Oklahoma Flag in spanish. Just found it stupid. Why on earth do our kids need to learn these pledges IN SPANISH??? You want to lead the birthday song in spanish b/c you're the spanish teacher...fine, but let's leave the pledges alone!
Found it quite asinine myself.

1/12/2007, 03:32 PM
Oklahoma's flag has a pledge?

When we moved to Fexas, I remember thinking how strange it was that the kids had to learn a pledge to the Lone Star.

I grew up in OK and never even knew of a pledge.

Cool.

blueyedsooner
1/12/2007, 03:34 PM
Oklahoma's flag has a pledge?

When we moved to Fexas, I remember thinking how strange it was that the kids had to learn a pledge to the Lone Star.

I grew up in OK and never even knew of a pledge.

Cool.

I salute the flag of the State of Oklahoma
Its symbols of peace unite all people.

I didn't know it had one either until I started teaching....;)

TheHumanAlphabet
1/12/2007, 03:58 PM
At least Texas was a separate nation at one time...

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/12/2007, 04:05 PM
I don't hate them, just wish they would all die painful deaths!

BeetDigger
1/12/2007, 04:11 PM
Hola!

Widescreen
1/12/2007, 04:12 PM
I don't hate them, just wish they would all die painful deaths!
Don't forget about the rotting and the eyes being picked by carrion birds.

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/12/2007, 04:14 PM
I thought that went without saying

Tear Down This Wall
1/12/2007, 04:16 PM
The word "carrion" is underappreciated. Although, I'm glad it's not overused, like "loudcrapper" is.

Scott D
1/12/2007, 04:23 PM
Couldn't have been said better.

At my son's school, they have classes just for spanish speaking kids where there is no english spoken. Why? All that is doing is saying Hey it is ok to live here an not know the language.

If I were going to jump the border to another country I would learn the language and make Danmed sure my kids knew the language.

I do not hate Hispanics....the majority are nice people, However...they have a tendency to be lazy and want things handed to them b/c they are too ignorant to learn English to communicate with society.

no offense, but there are people from other cultures who come to the US (legally or illegally as it may be), and their children may be in ESL classes despite being born here because parents/grandparents speak their native languages in the home.

Or should we just gloss over places like "Little Italy" and "Chinatown"

jk the sooner fan
1/12/2007, 04:26 PM
while we're in ESL, can we stress the correct pronunciation of the word "ask"

Scott D
1/12/2007, 04:29 PM
no sir, we cannot. why would you axe a silly question like that? :D

jk the sooner fan
1/12/2007, 04:34 PM
seriously.....scott, explain that to me......is that a cultural thing? i just dont get it.......

Scott D
1/12/2007, 04:37 PM
To be honest I think it was originally more of an education thing.

stoopified
1/12/2007, 04:37 PM
hoser.No man,he is a snowback.(Michael J. Fox term).Damn snowbacks like Fox,William Shatner,Alex Tebek ,Donald Sutherland are the bane of this coountry.

Widescreen
1/12/2007, 05:03 PM
while we're in ESL, can we stress the correct pronunciation of the word "ask"
You ever hear the Susan B. Anthony Jones bit where she's asking which is better - a hard diks or a floppy diks? Funny stuff.

Chuck Bao
1/12/2007, 05:56 PM
In Madill, 60% of the kids in the first grade are Hispanic this year.

So, I'm thinking that the school system should start changing the language of instruction in elementary school to Spanish.

Okay, non-hispanic parents couldn't help much with homework, but there are certainly advantages of their children being bi-lingual in the formative years.

TUSooner
1/12/2007, 06:02 PM
I don't know that it's hatred of hispanics. I think it's more related to the constant bending-over-backwards to cater to people who aren't supposed to be here in the first place (illegal aliens). And if they are here legally, they should learn our language and use our money, etc. If I moved to Germany, I wouldn't expect everyone to provide tax forms in English, customer service phone menus in English (press 1 for billing, press 2 for technical support), street signs in English, and accept US dollars at stores and restaurants. I'd learn Germanian and use Marks and Euros. The people that run the cafeteria where I work are nearly all hispanic immigrants but they all speak enough English to do their job - the cashier speaks excellent English. I truly respect the effort they put in to adapt.

This.

soonerboomer93
1/12/2007, 06:46 PM
In someways I have a slightly different point of view. I'm an ex-pat and a Registered Legal Alien in South Korea. I haven't been to places in Europe, but over here a lot of the signage is in English and Korean. Customs forms and my alien registration cards are in both languages. Because I am here with a company we do conduct all our business in English though, all the Korean staff speak english (some better then others, but they are required to speak it).

I also run into a lot of ex-pats from other countries here. They all speak English, and most speak it fluently. A lot of the workers I run into when I'm out will also be speaking English to westerners. English is the primary business language of the western world. Granted, where I am there are 2 of the largest shipyards in the world, so there is a larger then normal western population here.

I will also say, even when I'm traveling, the road signs will be in English and Korean. Even business cards are generally English on 1 side, Korean on the other side.

I have learned some Korean, so that I can kind of get by. I do however think that legal immigrants to the US should make an effort to learn english. I don't have a problem with legal immigrants, but I'm not very fond of illegal ones.

Oh, and one of the most annoying things I run into in the US. I get sent literature in spanish just because I have a hispanic last name. Few things **** me off more then that, and frankly I find the assumption insulting and won't do business with companies who do send it to me in Spanish.

OK2LA
1/12/2007, 07:15 PM
I would. I mean if I migrated legally or illegally to Vietnam, they had better let me live there, despite what their immigration laws are. Also, they had better accept my American currency at their businesses, provide all services for me in English, and teach my children at their schools using only the English language. Any attempt to deport me, to make Vietnamese their official language, or to not accomodate my every need, including providing me free health care at their expense, means that they are nothing but a bunch of ignorant, hate-filled racists!! I'll then organize mass protests in the streets to challenge their horrible injustices and hardships that they will have put me through! :mad:

It's call MIGRATION LAWS!

Dodo!:rolleyes: