PDA

View Full Version : GRAHAM & APPLEWHITE LEAVE RICE

BIG_IKE
1/12/2007, 12:37 PM
Graham takes over at Tulsa and Applewhite is the new QB Coach at Bama

http://chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4465710.html

TheHumanAlphabet
1/12/2007, 12:41 PM
This should tell Rice officials something...

starrca23
1/12/2007, 12:41 PM
Applewhite is one of the few saxet players I have ever liked. I hope he does well.

sooner94
1/12/2007, 12:42 PM
wow. they got a verbal committment from Nathan Dick (the little bro of the QB at Arkansas). bet he goes somewhere else now.

He's not a 4 or 5 star guy, but he's pretty good. his bro beat out Mustain at Arkansas for the starting spot.

BIG_IKE
1/12/2007, 12:52 PM
Thye got sme surprising guys last year too from teams that went to State.
The problem with Rice is fan support and the size of the school.

Rice is one of the best schools academically in the nation. But they only have 2,000 STUDENTS?!?!!?

Rice had only 12,000 show up for their biggest homes games, yet they have one of the largest stadiums in Houston. Rice Stadium seats over 70,000.

Ironically if every Rice Alumni, living and dead were to attend a game it would not fill their stadium. NO JOKE.http://www.ruf.rice.edu/~mihir/images/photo%20gallery/Pic072.JPG

FourKings
1/12/2007, 12:55 PM
He's not a 4 or 5 star guy, but he's pretty good. his bro beat out Mustain at Arkansas for the starting spot.[/QUOTE]

Thats not saying much really, Mustain didnt do much when he played....and the hogs couldnt throw it worth a crap no matter which QB was on the field.
I wonder tho, if its not Nutt being waaaay to conservative or not trusting his QB's....too bad they could have dont some damage if they could have.
Either way, Rice ought to get a little wake up from this.....but I doubt it, seems admin's at universities dont quite grasp whats right in front of them.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/12/2007, 01:13 PM
Wasn't Rice's field a pro venue and even held a super bowl or a NFL/AFL Championship game once? This would be prior to the 'Dome.

I gotta think Tulsa is better attended and has better funding.

Tell Graham, we'll see him next September.

SpringMOSooner
1/12/2007, 01:41 PM
I close friend of mine went to Rice and told me about the stadium. He said it has something to do with winning the SWC years and years ago. I can't remember the story but because they won the SWC they were built this huge stadium.

Luthor
1/12/2007, 02:09 PM
Thye got sme surprising guys last year too from teams that went to State.
The problem with Rice is fan support and the size of the school.

Rice is one of the best schools academically in the nation. But they only have 2,000 STUDENTS?!?!!?

Rice had only 12,000 show up for their biggest homes games, yet they have one of the largest stadiums in Houston. Rice Stadium seats over 70,000.

Ironically if every Rice Alumni, living and dead were to attend a game it would not fill their stadium. NO JOKE.http://www.ruf.rice.edu/~mihir/images/photo%20gallery/Pic072.JPG

Having been that (uhmm) stadium, I can say without fear of contradiction it ain't a place to watch football. It's more a place to dodge chunks of bleachers falling from overhead. It belongs in one of those Central America news videos where thousands of people perish in colapsing grandstand accidents. I won't go back.

picasso
1/12/2007, 02:34 PM
my sis lives near there. I recall driving by that rather large stadium.

good luck Nate Dick.

47straight
1/12/2007, 02:44 PM
SO glad that Applewhite isn't headed to TU. His assaulting a RUF/NEK has no place up here.

OklahomaTuba
1/12/2007, 02:52 PM
Rice is one of the richest schools in the country as well.

I am surprised they havn't torn that POS down yet to make something better.

OSUAggie
1/12/2007, 02:56 PM
I love Rice Stadium. Sure, it's falling apart, but it's one of the better places to watch a football game in Texas, as there's not a bad seat in the house, unless of course the seat collapses while you're in it.

Desert Sapper
1/12/2007, 03:04 PM
I'm happy for Applewhite that he is moving on to greener pastures. Bama is definitely bigger than Rice, and will be a big stepping stone. I generally see him as the saxet version of JH. I just think Mackie Mack screwed him (and himself) royally. He was the much better QB than Christie. And infinitely smarter.

ashley
1/12/2007, 03:23 PM
It is a great place to watch a football game.

TripleOption14
1/12/2007, 03:52 PM
Applewhite better be ready for a BIG change from what he's used to is all i can tell ya. Saban is notorious for grinding on his staff!! I'm talking 18 hour work days!! Get ready for a big lifestyle change Applewhite.

Tear Down This Wall
1/12/2007, 04:30 PM
Having relatives in Houston my whole life, I've twice been to Rice Stadium. Dude, it sucks. They can't tear it down fast enough.

They need to build Rice one of those little Major League Soccer stadiums to play in. Maybe they can move their home games to Frisco's Pizza Hut Park.

AllAboutThe'O'
1/12/2007, 04:50 PM
Wasn't Rice's field a pro venue and even held a super bowl or a NFL/AFL Championship game once? This would be prior to the 'Dome.
Rice Stadium hosted the Super Bowl in January of '74, when Csonka and the Dolphins ran past the Vikings. And this was even with the Astrodome around; apparently Rozelle and the other NFL honchos preferred playing the game at Rice Stadium instead of the 'Dome so that the 'Dome could be used for their Super Bowl parties.

47straight
1/12/2007, 05:07 PM
Saban had a chance to retain a fine quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator in Dave Rader (ironically former TU heada coach.). He replaced him with a guy who's the kind of person that drug Larry Coker under the bus.

I wish Applesauce all the worst.

TexasLidig8r
1/12/2007, 06:24 PM
I wish Applesauce all the worst.

From this and other posts, you certainly have your "I Hate Texas" flag flying proudly today!

Trying to take over for the late, great Golf Delta Charlie? :D

GoOwls
1/12/2007, 07:23 PM
The stadium has been revamped slightly since that picture... Still nothing to write home about, but I kinda like it.

http://homepage.mac.com/grungy/.Pictures/Rice/IMG_9016.jpg

And on another note, I hope Todd Graham never wins another football game.

trwxxa
1/12/2007, 08:21 PM

I gotta think Tulsa is better attended and has better funding.

Tell Graham, we'll see him next September.

I may go to the game next year just to see what the MOB does at halftime.

trwxxa
1/12/2007, 08:24 PM
Rice is one of the richest schools in the country as well.

I am surprised they havn't torn that POS down yet to make something better.

The difference is that the Rice alumni won't spend that money on athletics, although the baseball stadium is pretty nice.

utex74
1/13/2007, 03:00 AM
Applewhite better be ready for a BIG change from what he's used to is all i can tell ya. Saban is notorious for grinding on his staff!! I'm talking 18 hour work days!! Get ready for a big lifestyle change Applewhite.

Only 18 hr days? Major will get to catch up on his sleep if he cuts back like that. He is known, even as a player, for spending hours breaking down film and learning his opponent. I wish him the best of luck. He sure seems to be on a fast track and many of us hope to see him back on the 40 acres someday.

Boffingham
1/13/2007, 05:10 PM
Someday may we will see Applewhite vs. Heupel in a NC game

47straight
1/14/2007, 12:13 AM
From this and other posts, you certainly have your "I Hate Texas" flag flying proudly today!

He could do it all the time, mine comes in smaller bursts. The woman mitigates it, when she's treating me so well.

goingoneight
1/14/2007, 01:01 AM
If I had to pick three players from Tejas under :mack:, the obvious would be VY, although if we comped his grades and stuff we'd be called "cheaters" and not "2005 National Champions," next would be the VY successor McCoy, just because the kid stepped right into an impossible scenario, and had his defense stepped up, he might have been back in the MNC game... McCoy is a gamer, and he rightfully has the respect and fear of Sooner faithful for the next three years, kinda like Tejas fans felt about AD... third would be, yes... Applewhite. Why? Because he got sooo royally screwed by boytoy Chrissy Simms, that he straightened out his attitude problem and used his knowledge of the game for coaching. On top of that, he was a good QB, and the entire world knew he should have taken the starting QB job over Chrissy.

I'm gonna go to bed now and watch my "History of the Red River Rivalry DVD" to get in on some Sooner pwnage over the great Chrissy, now.

Piware
1/15/2007, 03:25 AM
Throw in Houston Nutt and it sounds like a Christmas cookie recipe gone bad.