PDA

View Full Version : gender leagility no aboutees...

fadada1
1/12/2007, 10:53 AM
after seeing miss wei's stellar 78 yesterday in hawaii (in 143rd place, btw), is there any legal action (if action is the word) for a man to try playing in an lpga event??? my question comes from the fact that, unless there is an equivalent womens event/organization, from my understanding, women are not allowed to participate in a mens event. case in point, girls wrestling or playing football in high school.

now how, based on gender equity laws, is she able to participate in men's events when there is a women's equivalent???

assume you were on the supreme court, and had to make a decision on this, leaving emotion out of it, what do you do?

fadada1
1/12/2007, 10:54 AM
oops, sorry about the spelling mistake in the title. my fingers aren't working this morning.

sooner_born_1960
1/12/2007, 10:56 AM
I think the organizers of an event can invite anyone they want.

yermom
1/12/2007, 11:11 AM
who cares if girls are playing in "men's" events only to lose?

it's not like it's the MPGA. the reason for the LPGA or WNBA or whatever is for the women that can't compete the pros in those sports

look at poker. they have women's professional events... and there is no real physical aspect to poker :eek:

i'd compare it more to the Special Olympics ;)

fadada1
1/12/2007, 11:15 AM
isn't there a chick who's done pretty well at poker???

semi-hawt.

i guess my beef is that a man would NEVER be able to play in a women's event - not that a man would WANT to play in a women's event - unless you're george costanza playing out of spite. a man would dominate a women's event (theoretically). a woman can't make the cut in a men's event (fact). conclusion... neither belongs in one another's event.

yermom
1/12/2007, 11:21 AM
if a guy can't make the cut should he be playing?

Newbomb Turk
1/12/2007, 11:25 AM
Pat plays golf with the guys - so you might be able to get some info there.

fadada1
1/12/2007, 11:27 AM
if a guy can't make the cut should he be playing?
he should quit golf. period.

jk the sooner fan
1/12/2007, 11:28 AM
i simply dont get the hate for this girl.......

fadada1
1/12/2007, 11:30 AM
hate is a strong word. i just don't think she has any business playing in a men's event.

jk the sooner fan
1/12/2007, 11:32 AM
why does it bother you so? there are more than a handful of golf spares putting up the same numbers as her?

she's friggin 17 years old, she's got big ambition......so she loses everytime she goes out....she wants to compete against the best and measure her game against them

why does everybody get so wrapped around the axle about it? because she's a girl? cant be because she loses, because as i said.....how many dont make the cut every weekend? MANY.....

Newbomb Turk
1/12/2007, 11:32 AM
hate is a strong word. i just don't think she has any business playing in a men's event...

...over and over and over again.

Newbomb Turk
1/12/2007, 11:33 AM
she wants to compete against the best and measure her game against them.

compete against the LPGA and beat them first. At least Annika did that.

edit - and I don't hate her. Just tired of all the pub for somebody that has accomplished very little.

jk the sooner fan
1/12/2007, 11:36 AM
she competes against the lpga......how old was annika when she won her first tourney?

fadada1
1/12/2007, 11:39 AM
she's friggin 17 years old, she's got big ambition......so she loses everytime she goes out....she wants to compete against the best and measure her game against them

i think part of what bothers me is that i'm in the golf business. golf professional, NOT a professional golfer. i know some guys on some of the smaller tours that fight day in and day out to make a living playing golf. these guys pay a lot of money to play in Q-school every year, only to miss by a shot or two from getting their chance on the PGA tour. they then go back to a mini tour only to make a few thousand dollars (if they play well).

these guys want to compete against the best in the world as well, and they are "paying their dues" to get that chance. she can't even beat the best WOMEN in the world!!!! she hasn't even proven that she can beat the best JUNIORS in the world.

yes, this is an issue of fairness. maybe if she could make a cut, i might have a slightly different opinion. but she can't even make the cut in a n event where 9 of the top 10 in the world aren't playing.

Newbomb Turk
1/12/2007, 11:40 AM
she competes against the lpga......how old was annika when she won her first tourney?

I'm not sure, but it really isn't about age. Annika was dominating the LPGA when she tried to play on the PGA tour. If Wie were tearing up the LPGA, I'd say fine, see what you can do versus the best players in the world.

All in all, it's really not THAT big of a deal to me.

jk the sooner fan
1/12/2007, 11:42 AM
its not to me either, i just dont get why the golfers are so up in arms about it...i truly dont think she's taking any bread off anybody's table

sooner_born_1960
1/12/2007, 11:43 AM
I didn't think she was old enough to compete on the lpga.

TexasLidig8r
1/12/2007, 11:44 AM
why does it bother you so? there are more than a handful of golf spares putting up the same numbers as her?

why does everybody get so wrapped around the axle about it? because she's a girl? cant be because she loses, because as i said.....how many dont make the cut every weekend? MANY.....

Perhaps, it is more she epitomizes society's fascination and obsession for style over substance. She has never won an LPGA event. If her ability to compete was based on talent and/or success, she would not receive the sponsor's exemptions to play in the PGA events.

If Ms. Wei were 5'3", 170 lbs and a bit gruff, with her lack of success on the women's professional tour, would she be invited to play in men's events? Or is the fact that she is 6'0" young and cute an overriding factor... perhaps the sole factor? She will increase the gate on Thursday and Friday as well as bring publicity for the tournament and the Eastern Sports Promotional Network and others will give national publicity to a tournament because she is there. Men will watch for the "cuteness" factor and to see how badly she stinks it up. Women, who ordinarily would have no interest, may watch to see if she can strike a blow for women's equality.

In short, she is being allowed into a very elite bastion of competitive sports NOT because of her skills, her talent, her experience and/or her history of success.. but because of her age, what she looks like and the fact that her play is roughly equivalent to that of any club pro.

fadada1
1/12/2007, 11:47 AM
...and the fact that her play is roughly equivalent to that of any club pro.
i'd argue that she's not even THAT good.

Frozen Sooner
1/12/2007, 11:51 AM
case in point, girls wrestling or playing football in high school.

Far as I know, there's no restrictions against women wrestling or playing high school football up here. This year a woman won state in wrestling (and took first at a national invite tournament) and a woman was the all-state kicker.

yermom
1/12/2007, 11:54 AM
so the issue is that since she's a girl she gets a novelty invitation instead of having to qualify?

i don't know the detals exactly, but if she can play where other similarly skilled men can't, then yes, i see that as a problem

i don't see what it has to do with her being a girl though, i'd say the same thing if it was some celebrity

but they would bring some publicity to it, and make them more money somehow

god knows there needs to be something interesting about golf on TV

fadada1
1/12/2007, 11:54 AM
Far as I know, there's no restrictions against women wrestling or playing high school football up here. This year a woman won state in wrestling (and took first at a national invite tournament) and a woman was the all-state kicker.
there are no restrictions because there aren't any equivalent girl's programs. that's fine with me.

when was the last time you saw a high school boy play field hockey on a girls team? and would they even allow it?

Frozen Sooner
1/12/2007, 11:56 AM
I believe (and I'm no expert, obviously) is that women's sports are there to provide equivalent opportunities for women as are provided for men. I do not believe that the legal protection runs both ways, for the simple reason that it hasn't needed to.