PDA

View Full Version : Mmm...iPhone

SactoSooner
1/12/2007, 12:18 AM
I saw it up close and personal today at the Macworld Expo, and sat through the hour-long demo. Holy cow...is this thing incredible!!! A combination of everything y'all ever wanted in one little gadget.

Here's my pics complete with the security guards keeping a close eye on the display...and some old guy.

http://img1.putfile.com/thumb/1/1100155677.jpg (http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=4493406)

http://img1.putfile.com/thumb/1/1100155757.jpg (http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=4493407)

BoomerSooner247
1/12/2007, 12:45 AM
my new dream phone :) is it as awesome in person as it is in the pics? pretty hard to imagine it any awesomer with some other pics i've seen. heres some other pics via engadget: http://www.engadget.com/photos/first-iphone-pics/

proud gonzo
1/12/2007, 01:13 AM
that thing doesn't interest me at all.

yermom
1/12/2007, 01:49 AM
no one asked you :P

how's it goin' Karin?

Viking Kitten
1/12/2007, 11:11 AM
I want one and will probably get one when our contract with Sprint expires later this year. Does Cingular suck as bad as everyone says it does though?

BeetDigger
1/12/2007, 11:15 AM
I've always thought that AT&T was the best cell phone service. Cingular is chaning its name to AT&T by the way.

Also, I wonder if they are going to get to keep the iPhone name? Cisco has the name trademarked. If Cisco does not want to let Apple use the name, I think they have a pretty strong case to prevent them from using it. Apple has been Ciscopwn3d.

Viking Kitten
1/12/2007, 11:18 AM
The could call it the telePod.

Fugue
1/12/2007, 11:20 AM
portapod

JohnnyMack
1/12/2007, 11:21 AM
I want one and will probably get one when our contract with Sprint expires later this year. Does Cingular suck as bad as everyone says it does though?

I've had Cingular/AT&T Wireless for about 6 or 7 years. The customer service can be a pain, but the phone service is as good as any. Rarely if ever drops a call.

Penguin
1/12/2007, 11:26 AM
Isn't Cisco or somebody suing the hell out of Apple for stealing the name iphone?

Viking Kitten
1/12/2007, 11:26 AM
I've had Cingular/AT&T Wireless for about 6 or 7 years. The customer service can be a pain, but the phone service is as good as any. Rarely if ever drops a call.

Cool. Not that Sprint is awesome or anything, but we've used them for about 10 years, and well... better the devil you know than the devil you don't. This will make it worth the switch though. One gadget that does everything is exactly what I've been waiting for.

IB4OU2
1/12/2007, 11:28 AM
Cool. Not that Sprint is awesome or anything, but we've used them for about 10 years, and well... better the devil you know than the devil you don't. This will make it worth the switch though. One gadget that does everything is exactly what I've been waiting for.

Carefull, Czar may get jealous...;)

Viking Kitten
1/12/2007, 11:30 AM
:D

No gadget could ever replace Czar.

SactoSooner
1/12/2007, 11:32 AM
no one asked you :P

how's it goin' Karin?

Everything is groovy! :D

JohnnyMack
1/12/2007, 11:38 AM

Actually we just bought Sprint Wireless cards for our laptops here at the office because the Cingular ones sucked. But the phones work good.

SactoSooner
1/12/2007, 12:11 PM
my new dream phone :) is it as awesome in person as it is in the pics? pretty hard to imagine it any awesomer with some other pics i've seen. heres some other pics via engadget: http://www.engadget.com/photos/first-iphone-pics/

Uh, yeh. :D What most impressed me was its user friendliness. It's easier to use than your typical cell or land phone/PDA/Blackberry, and works just like the internet on your home computer. It really is everything you ever wanted in one gadget, and the best of all of the technologies rolled into one. I was really amazed by this little thing.

sooneron
1/12/2007, 01:02 PM
In!

Oldnslo
1/12/2007, 02:35 PM
:D

No gadget could ever replace Czar.
What a beautiful set up.

I mean, this is perfect. Plus, there's pretty much nothing ol' Czar can do about it. Just wait for some oaf to crush this one into the cheap seats and post pictures of... any number of household appliances which may or may not be battery powered. Or require a kickstart.

Man...

If I hadn't just done a post sort of like this one calls for, I'd be all over it.

Carp.

BigRedJed
1/12/2007, 02:42 PM
...A combination of everything y'all ever wanted in one little gadget...
Oh, sweet! So I guess they added another 72GB of storage space to replace my 80GB iPod, gave it full Outlook compatibility and the ability to create and edit Word documents and Excel spreadsheets? That's quite a bit different than what was announced the other day. Sign me up!

KC//CRIMSON
1/12/2007, 02:43 PM
Gadget fight!

BeetDigger
1/12/2007, 03:15 PM
I, for one, am for fewer and less efficient ways for people to get a hold of me when I am out. The last thing I need is for my wife to be able to get ahold of me in more places, at more times in more ways. One call that covers five things is much better than five calls that each cover one thing.

bluedogok
1/13/2007, 05:56 PM
Cell service varies by city, no one service is the "best" everywhere. My Cingular service was fine in OKC and Dallas, it has always sucked here in Austin. Sprint and T-Mobile are pretty good as long as you never get off the interstates. The only services that I consider are Cingular or Verizon since they have the widest coverage in rural areas because that is where we ride, the Hill Country coverage can be spotty but those of us with Cingular or Verizon have some coverage in most areas whereas the Sprint/T-Mobile guys have none. I have the phone in case I need it, it stays in in my jacket or tank bag and I may check it when stop, but most of the time I don't.

As far as the iPhone, I have no interest since all-in-one gadgets may do everything, but generally do nothing well. I have a 40gb iPod that I want to replace with an 80gb iPod, I have no use for a 4gb device because when I am usually using it is on the bike and I am gone for an 8 to 10 hour day on rides. I know some can use it but I don't think it is as much of a "killer device" as Apple seems to think, it will be a niche device just like a Treo or others that are out there.

Okla-homey
1/13/2007, 06:15 PM
Can I have it imbedded in my palm so its always with me? I'll utilize the new legal tattooing in OK to have the keypad inked into my skin. Can I get it with a transciever in my middle ear so I can always hear it? And a surgically implanted monocular heads-up display so I can always see its screen?

See, its vitally important to me that I am always able to get e-mails and text from my slacker friends like, "hey wassup?" or "what RU doin" and important stuff like that.

Vaevictis
1/13/2007, 06:19 PM
Homey, they're working on that. They've got working neural interfaces that will let them put images directly into the vision processing center of the brain. They've got working neural interfaces that will take input from your brain.

It really is just a matter of time.

And even if you don't quite go that far, they've got clothing that has built in LED arrays that could do something similar for you. :)

Okla-homey
1/13/2007, 06:24 PM
Homey, they're working on that. They've got working neural interfaces that will let them put images directly into the vision processing center of the brain. They've got working neural interfaces that will take input from your brain.

It really is just a matter of time.

And even if you don't quite go that far, they've got clothing that has built in LED arrays that could do something similar for you. :)

Oh goody. So much for "downtime" away from the flippin' job.
We're gonna keep on until people feel "boxed in" to the point they start going Thoreau.

GottaHavePride
1/13/2007, 06:50 PM
portapod

:les: PORTAPODDY!!!!

Oh, and last time I saw rankings published, Consumer Repots was saying Verizon was the "best" service to have in almost every location. The few places that Verizon wasn't the top (like Chicago) they said U.S. Cellular was (I think).

However, no Verizon in Oklahoma as far as I know.

yermom
1/13/2007, 06:51 PM
Oh, sweet! So I guess they added another 72GB of storage space to replace my 80GB iPod, gave it full Outlook compatibility and the ability to create and edit Word documents and Excel spreadsheets? That's quite a bit different than what was announced the other day. Sign me up!

from the description i heard it probably can edit the Office documents...

Vaevictis
1/13/2007, 07:23 PM
Oh goody. So much for "downtime" away from the flippin' job.

Yeah, that's the bad side of that technology.

On the flip side of it though, those technologies are also being used to let people with disabilities function (ie, let blind people see, quadrapelegics direct computers, wheelchairs, exoskeletons, etc).

And even with all of this connectivity, downtime is not hard to come by. Turn the flippin' thing off and problem solved.

Okla-homey
1/13/2007, 07:27 PM
Yeah, that's the bad side of that technology.

And even with all of this connectivity, downtime is not hard to come by. Turn the flippin' thing off and problem solved.

Do you hoestly think if your boss knows you have this, particularly if he bought it for you, you will be permitted to "turn it off?"

wake-up man. This kind of thing is a classic example of technology outstripping human endurance.

Vaevictis
1/13/2007, 07:36 PM
Do you hoestly think if your boss knows you have this, particularly if he bought it for you, you will be permitted to "turn it off?"

Yes. The key there is:

1. Being valuable enough that they won't fire you for disregarding their orders to leave it on.
2. Turn it off judiciously -- ie, if your job function truly has emergencies, you can't turn it off when those emergencies are likely to occur.
3. Being able to break the thing in subtle and unobvious ways such that someone else takes the blame.

I'm certainly #1, I adhere to #2, and I'm capable of #3. :)

Sooner_Bob
1/13/2007, 07:39 PM

Who says Cingular sucks? :confused:

We've been very pleased with them the last 2+ years.

PrideTrombone
1/13/2007, 07:57 PM
I've had Cingular for about 5 years now. Been happy with them the entire time.

soonerboomer93
1/13/2007, 09:10 PM
I have no problems at all with Cingular service. In Denver it's much better then t-mobile or sprint

yermom
1/13/2007, 09:13 PM

wake-up man. This kind of thing is a classic example of technology outstripping human endurance.

how is that any different than any other cell phone?

Ruuuuuufus
1/13/2007, 10:01 PM
does this thing have GPS?