PDA

View Full Version : Setting Goals for work. Help

OUHOMER
1/11/2007, 09:02 PM
Ok, the wife is getting a promotion. She has been asked to set measurable goals for 2007. The problem is there are no established baselines.

When I had to do this I always hit on the, lower cost, increase production, etc, but I have always had some kind of baseline to compare it against. I don’t think they will hold her feet to the fire this go around. But here is what she has so far. What do ya think

Production goals for 2007

1. Establish base line for all production systems.
A) Standard systems- 100% error free
B) Custom systems- 96% error free

2. Establish effective lead persons- this will allow me to delegate responsibility to help control all aspects of production, help reduce errors, lower cost, increase production, and keep ISO quality systems.

3. Establish baseline for each type system-

A) Standard systems to be set with a established time
B) Customs systems to be set with standards for each customer.

4. Lower cost- after establishing goals and baseline for each system , and effective leadership, and proper training, hold all production to set standards

5. Training- Keep all employees up to date with all ISO related standards and proper technique

6. ISO Standards- Get everybody to understand the purpose , technique, and quality issues under ISO

7. Warehouse- to learn procedures and set baselines for inventory, purchasing, shipping and receiving.

At this point goals are not measurable, the need to set a baseline to work from will have to be established. The key will be get good leaders in place, hold everybody accountable for the areas.. If employees know what is expected of them and are given the right tools and training they will do a better job. Keeping employee morale high will help reduce cost and put out a high quality product. Universal training so that we are following ISO standards and that all employees buy into the ISO system.

OUFAN29
1/11/2007, 09:13 PM
This sounds like a good starting point. Hard to determine 100% unless the industry is known. You can also look at other companies in the same industry and see what good points they use and what arent good. For example, Kyocera believes in amoeba management where every person, department, division, subsidiary, group, and parent company is responsible to the success of the company while doing what is right as a human being. If making a profit in a manner that is not accepable to all parties, it is not worth doing. (Done some studies on the company)

Well those are my 2 cents for what they are worth

Cam
1/11/2007, 09:34 PM
Just MHO, but 100% success rate is maybe a little too much. Start at 98% and use 100% for your stretch goal. Nothing in business is perfect 100% of the time. Using 100% for your baseline goal only sets you for failure IMO.

OUHOMER
1/11/2007, 09:40 PM
you right 100% is to high. FYi the standard system they do are already built, what they do to them is very little, change a RF or Diode(what ever the hell that is). or as simple as a label change. Still 98% would be better.

Just wondering how you would set your goals if you have no baseline to pull from.

OUinFLA
1/11/2007, 10:03 PM
My daily goals

Get up
Survive
Go to bed

Cam
1/11/2007, 10:24 PM
you right 100% is to high. FYi the standard system they do are already built, what they do to them is very little, change a RF or Diode(what ever the hell that is). or as simple as a label change. Still 98% would be better.

Just wondering how you would set your goals if you have no baseline to pull from.
Not quite sure, I'm kind of going thru the same thing. I'm basically writing my job description in my new role and taking things as they come along.

BajaOklahoma
1/11/2007, 10:49 PM
I have to write goals every year. I hate them.
Our goals have to be measurable, positive in phrasing and able to be documented.
First goal is to establish the baseline of whatever. Then set a reasonable, achieveable improvement goal. She will look bad if the goals aren't realistic. She can set a range for improvement, such if the baseline is between A and B, then the goal is C% improvement. The higher the baseline, then the lower the % of improvement is actually achieveable. Set a date for each baseline to be established. Remember it is better to set a longer date and bring it in earlier, but don't make it too long either.
2. You have to establish a job description, plan and execute training, allow for impletation, and evaluate the results. The job description must allow for flexibility and even elimination if it turns out to not be effective.
3. No clue what this means because I don't know the industry.
4. What if holding the costs are the best that can be achieved? You have to allow for outside costs beyond your control. Can your wife implement the changes or will she be presenting them to her boss? What about looking at costs so many months after implemention of her ideas?
IMO, 5 and 6 are so intertwined that you should combine them. Set dates for completion of sections of the ISO training. Are there tests that must be passed? Set a goal of X% passing the test on the first try.
7. Even learning the warehouse system might take a year.

Documentation is critical. Remember that it looks good on a resume to be able to say I established baselines on whatever, impleted that and showed an improvement in blah. :)

Mjcpr
1/12/2007, 10:05 AM
1. Improve
2 ?
3. Vacation!

OUDoc
1/12/2007, 10:10 AM
100% of annually not getting fired.

IB4OU2
1/12/2007, 10:15 AM
Never set a goal that cannot be attained. If you are measuring a goal for a product to be 100% defect free/error then youv'e already set your goals to high. Maybe the production area can track defects as a cost of rework percentage and a meaningful goal could be for production to reduce that percentage to a set achievable goal.

Just my two cents...