PDA

View Full Version : TU offering Todd Graham the job...

OklahomaTuba
1/11/2007, 07:39 PM
Updated, cause its a done deal.

This should make the TU/Rice game very interested.

Graham to be next TU coach
By Eric Bailey
1/11/2007 8:54:00 PM

Todd Graham will be named the next football coach at the University of Tulsa, multiple sources told the Tulsa World on Thursday night.

Graham, 42, returns to Tulsa after spending one season as the head coach at the University of Rice. He was the Golden Hurricane's defensive coordinator from 2003-05.

Mike Case, perhaps the top benefactor to TU athletics, was excited about Graham's appointment.

"He was a great guy when he was here and an important part of the program," Case said on Thursday night. "We're excited to have him back. Other than (tight end) Garrett Mills, we probably missed him more than anyone."

TU athletic director Bubba Cunningham was unavailable for comment.

Graham will inherit a program from his former boss Steve Kragthorpe, who left for the University of Louisville this week.

Graham turned around a Rice program that only had one win the previous year, and guided the Owls to a 7-6 record and the school's first bowl appearance in 45 years.

Graham's hiring allows for continuity within the program because he coached the team as recently as a year ago.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/BreakingNewsStory.asp?ID=070111_Br_tuwebber

birddog
1/11/2007, 07:42 PM
here's some more on him...

http://riceowls.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/graham_todd00.html

Bruiser53
1/11/2007, 07:49 PM
Why would he take this, it's a lateral move for him. Both are small, private schools both in the C-USA. He has no real ties to Tulsa or the state of Oklahoma besides that he coached there a few years. TU would proably have to offer some kind of pay increase.

birddog
1/11/2007, 07:52 PM
i hear alot of talk about coker going to tulsa. doesn't it seem like coker's good enough to get a better job than tulsa?

OklahomaTuba
1/11/2007, 08:39 PM
I think Coker is, but this is his home town for all basic purposes, and his wifes from here. They may just want to come home.

birddog
1/11/2007, 08:41 PM
that would be cool as hell. i think he'd do a great job.

OklahomaTuba
1/11/2007, 08:42 PM
He has no real ties to Tulsa or the state of Oklahoma besides that he coached there a few years. TU would proably have to offer some kind of pay increase.

You might try reading first next time.

Previously, Graham was the head coach at Carl Albert High School in Midwest City, Okla., in 1994, ranking 10th in the state's final class 5A poll. Before that, he served three years as the defensive coordinator at East Central University.

He also played for ECU in college.

the-boulder
1/11/2007, 08:54 PM
Todd Graham eqauls great hire for TU-major part of the turnaround under Kragthorpe. Coker equals bad hire. Coker rose to his level of incompetence and that level is head coach. As a TU alum, I want nothing to do with him....

OklahomaTuba
1/11/2007, 10:13 PM
Its more than humorous that a coach who had his team in two BCS championship games and hoisted the crystal ball once is just not good enough for them TU fans.

Ash
1/11/2007, 10:31 PM
Its more than humorous that a coach who had his team in two BCS championship games and hoisted the crystal ball once is just not good enough for them TU fans.

No kidding.

trwxxa
1/11/2007, 10:52 PM
I watched the 26 sportscast and Graham told them that Tulsa made him a "remarkable" offer and one has to consider for the sake of his family. Earlier this week, Rice extended his contract to 2012. This stuff happens even when it is not "Big Time" college football. :mad:

toast
1/11/2007, 11:03 PM
obviously don't know the details as to how serious they were with coker, but maybe the administration felt they could have ended up with another john phillips situation. time will tell if graham is a good hire, but there seems to be quite a few positives coming in to it.

royalfan5
1/11/2007, 11:07 PM
what is the tag line they always give with mutual funds? Something about past performance not being a guarantee of future results. Tulsa is a much harder school to win at than Miami, and Coker had Miami in a tailspin. Maybe that indicates that he would struggle at Tulsa. Coker hasn't shown he can build or sustain a program. Winning a title once doesn't mean you will always be successful, see ********** for an example. Or John Robinson at UNLV and his second run at USC.

OklahomaTuba
1/11/2007, 11:12 PM
what is the tag line they always give with mutual funds? Something about past performance not being a guarantee of future results. Tulsa is a much harder school to win at than Miami, and Coker had Miami in a tailspin. Maybe that indicates that he would struggle at Tulsa. Coker hasn't shown he can build or sustain a program. Winning a title once doesn't mean you will always be successful, see ********** for an example. Or John Robinson at UNLV and his second run at USC.

Dude was 60-15 (.800), with one title and three conference championships. Oh yeah, he happened to lose 6 games. Lord knows we came close to that in 2005.

I wonder if you think Bob Stoops has OU in a tailspin?

royalfan5
1/11/2007, 11:17 PM
Dude was 60-15 (.800), with one title and three conference championships.

Did you see Miami play this year? Randy Shannon's defense is the only reason they got as far as they did. An overall record means jack****, Solich had a sparkling record, but the program was crumbling around him. A coach can not but judged on his record alone, but on the direction of his program, and Miami was on a solid downward trajectory. Miami was crumbling around Coker, and they weren't maintaing their place in the ACC. They went 6-6 in a bad ACC. There is no excuse for a program of Miami's stature to go 6-6 in a bad league.

toast
1/11/2007, 11:18 PM
Dude was 60-15 (.800), with one title and three conference championships.

not that i'm taking up for royalfan, but it was probably not so much about the wins/losses but the lack of control around the program combined with tu's penchant for feeling academically superior.

OklahomaTuba
1/11/2007, 11:29 PM
not that i'm taking up for royalfan, but it was probably not so much about the wins/losses but the lack of control around the program combined with tu's penchant for feeling academically superior.

Agreed. That last year killed him, which is very unfortunate. Dude was a great coach.

BTW, Jerkins just said Todd Graham to TU is a done deal. Deal includes a big raise and commitment to have Skelly re-done asap.

OklahomaTuba
1/11/2007, 11:32 PM
There is no excuse for a program of Miami's stature to go 6-6 in a bad league.
Again, look at OU in 2005. We had the same problems Miami had, minus a few horrible calls and half the team being thrown off the field.

That fight got Coker fired more than anything.

royalfan5
1/11/2007, 11:38 PM
Again, look at OU in 2005. We had the same problems Miami had, minus a few horrible calls and half the team being thrown off the field.

That fight got Coker fired more than anything.
OU of 2005 was light years ahead of Miami 2006. Look at Coker's track record of developing QB's since Ken Dorsey for more proof. Look at Coker have to look to Nebraska to find middling O-Line recruits. Look at the collapse in discipline and moral within the Miami football program. Did you see Coker bury his head in the sand instead of exerting leadership(which is what a head coach is supposed to do). It's easy to lead when your on top, which is what Coker inherited, but much harder to lead during adversity, which is where Coker failed. Tulsa needs a guy that can do more with less, not less with more(which is Coker's track record)

OklahomaTuba
1/11/2007, 11:43 PM
OU of 2005 was light years ahead of Miami 2006. Look at Coker's track record of developing QB's since Ken Dorsey for more proof.
You mean QBs like Kyle Wriight, who led the ACC in TDs as a frosh, and then got hurt his 2nd season?

Kind of hard to develop a QB whose not playing.

royalfan5
1/11/2007, 11:50 PM
You mean QBs like Kyle Wriight, who led the ACC in TDs as a frosh, and then got hurt his 2nd season?

Kind of hard to develop a QB whose not playing.
Kyle Wright wasn't spectacular before he was hurt this year, and didn't play well in Big games. Coker was also derelict in only have two scholarship qb's. I guess we will just agree to disagree on Coker's abilities. Why do we see what type of program ends up hiring Coker, and how much success he has there.

Sooner_Bob
1/11/2007, 11:52 PM
You might try reading first next time.

He also played for ECU in college.

I thought that name sounded familiar . . . he was at ECU just about the same time I was I think.

OUstud
1/12/2007, 12:57 AM
Absolutely ridiculous. He may be a good coach, but why would you back out on Rice, the team that gave you the chance to be a D-1 head coach, after only a year? They've got some history, and he lead them to SEVEN wins after only ONE win and their first bowl since 1961. He had the thing going strong, put together his own staff (with Apple Majorwhite as OC), signs an extension, then BAM! gone to rival Tulsa. Why even have contracts?

RiddlerOK
1/12/2007, 01:19 AM
So I guess Tom Clements lost out. My Dad knew an inside source who said Clements was under consideration. Bummer!

Okla-homey
1/12/2007, 07:51 AM
I'm stoked about this hire. I maintain great defenses is what makes teams competitive more than any other factor. BTW, Graham played with Mark Nelson (TU's Canadian current Co-Defensive coordinator) while they were together at Ada.

TU's offense is loaded at QB next season. The offense will be solid.

With Graham, I think 2007 will be another good year for the Golden Hurricane.

Sure TU is only a mid-major, but mid-majors can still be competive in D-1 with good coaching and the support of the fans and the institution.

ashley
1/12/2007, 08:20 AM
Count the number of times he says me and I. He doesn't know us and we.

OklahomaTuba
1/12/2007, 09:27 AM
I wonder if Rice makes Major Applewhite their next HC?

Monster Zero
1/12/2007, 09:50 AM
Maybe TU's paying him more money, or maybe he sees an upside that TU has more history as a football skool than Rice.

BTW, what does let 'er rip mean?

Okla-homey
1/12/2007, 10:26 AM
This just in, Kragthorpe is taking Stubbs and Nelson to Loo'-a-vul with him.:(

TheHumanAlphabet
1/12/2007, 10:50 AM
Why would he take this, it's a lateral move for him. Both are small, private schools both in the C-USA. He has no real ties to Tulsa or the state of Oklahoma besides that he coached there a few years. TU would proably have to offer some kind of pay increase.

Wrongo...

He played for, graduated and coached at East Central and coached H.S. in Oklahoma. Seems pretty well entrenched in Oklahoma for me...

TheHumanAlphabet
1/12/2007, 10:53 AM
BTW, what does let 'er rip mean?

Newb ALERT! Newb ALERT!

hint: just do a you tube search on Les Miles and osu...

TheHumanAlphabet
1/12/2007, 10:54 AM
I wonder if Rice makes Major Applewhite their next HC?

'bammer seems to have quite a pull...

I didn't know Applewhite's family were such 'bammer homers.

TUSooner
1/12/2007, 11:17 AM
I thought this thread was about my search for a butler.

<crickets chirping>

I'm not in the market.

<more crickets chirping>

:O

TexasLidig8r
1/12/2007, 11:34 AM
Sure TU is only a mid-major, but mid-majors can still be competive in D-1 with good coaching and the support of the fans and the institution.

Like Boise State??? :eek:

I couldn't help myself.. apologies all. :D

GulfCoastBamaFan
1/12/2007, 11:38 AM
'bammer seems to have quite a pull...

I didn't know Applewhite's family were such 'bammer homers.

"Major" Applewhite is named after Major Ogilvie, who was Applewhite Sr.'s favorite football player at Alabama in the late 1970's. Despite the fact that Dumbose never offered him a scholarship, the family has stayed Crimson-blooded.

I would think that the opportunity to be a HC has a stronger pull than an AC job, even at Alabama. We'll see.

He's got the skills to be a great coach when he grows up. :D

Ash
1/12/2007, 12:41 PM
Like Boise State??? :eek:

I couldn't help myself.. apologies all. :D

No prob, I take comfort knowing Boise would have hung half a hundred by halftime on your swiss cheese of a defensive secondary.