PDA

View Full Version : Adrian has his say!

Sooner-N-KS
1/11/2007, 03:37 PM
http://www.newsok.com/article/2997889/

The Oklahoman

NORMAN -- Adrian Peterson wants to set the record straight

The Oklahoma running back has not decided whether he is going to leave the Sooners and enter the NFL Draft.

“I have spent the last few days considering my options to either enter the NFL Draft or stay at OU. The facts are that I have not hired any representation and I have not declared for the draft," Peterson said in a statement released Thursday afternoon by OU. "My meetings with Coach Stoops and my parents have been to discuss all the scenarios. I see a lot of options in both so I am still undecided on what I want to do. I wish people would give me the opportunity to decide. Once I do, I will make an announcement at the right time. Any reports that are different than that are false.”

Sooner-N-KS
1/11/2007, 03:38 PM
You know, even if he decides to go to the NFL I really respect how he has given this serious thought.

Partial Qualifier
1/11/2007, 03:41 PM
His truly is a tough decision; bolt now for millions or stay a year for the promise of mega-millions. but what if I get injured..

I'm glad he's giving it plenty of thought.

arcman46
1/11/2007, 03:47 PM
He could sign for millions and be injured in his first game in the pros. All he might receive is his signing bonus. Nothing is guaranteed.

Jason White's Third Knee
1/11/2007, 03:49 PM
I'd love for him to stay, but if he doesn't, something is fishy. There is no way he could have attended any of his business classes. I'd call for an NCAA investigation.

colleyvillesooner
1/11/2007, 03:51 PM
Prepare to be needlessly merged.

TexasSooner01
1/11/2007, 03:53 PM

Funny, I was thinking the same thing! :cool:

Fugue
1/11/2007, 04:05 PM

or prepare to be threadjacked by a disgruntled poster from southern Kansas.

:D

Wishboned
1/11/2007, 04:19 PM
AD has the ability to not only make would be tacklers miss, it seems he has the ability to make DMN reports miss as well.

Fraggle145
1/11/2007, 04:41 PM
The ESPN version... has some additonal stoops commentary.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2727204

OKLAHOMA CITY -- Oklahoma running back Adrian Peterson said Thursday he has not yet decided whether he will declare himself eligible for the NFL draft.

"I have spent the last few days considering my options to either enter the NFL draft or stay at OU. The facts are that I have not hired any representation and I have not declared for the draft," Peterson said in a statement released by Oklahoma.

Peterson is considered a likely first-round draft pick if he were to leave the Sooners and skip his senior season. He has given no indication whether he will stay in college or turn pro. The deadline for juniors to enter the draft is Monday.

"He's very unsure," Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops said Thursday in a telephone interview with The Associated Press. "He's still trying to figure out what he wants for his life and what he feels is best for him."

Citing two anonymous sources, The Dallas Morning News reported Wednesday night on its Web site that Peterson had decided to enter the draft and met with Stoops to inform him.

Peterson and Stoops both denied that report.

"My meetings with Coach Stoops and my parents have been to discuss all the scenarios," Peterson said in the statement. "I see a lot of options in both so I am still undecided on what I want to do. I wish people would give me the opportunity to decide. Once I do, I will make an announcement at the right time. Any reports that are different than that are false."

Added Stoops: "They said that our meeting was to inform me. That was anything but the case. The meeting was with me and his parents and just discussing through all the possibilities and what all the different scenarios might be. He was at that time still very unsure of what he truly wanted."

Stoops said he plans to keep in touch with Peterson.

"I'm sure I will. We'll talk daily, what he's thinking about, what he's feeling. Whatever the young guy wants, I'm all for," Stoops said. "I think people close to him respect that, that this is his life to live and he needs to do it where he satisfies what he feels he needs to."

Peterson missed seven games this season with a broken collarbone, but still finished with 1,012 yards rushing and 12 touchdowns. He ran for 77 yards and two touchdowns, including a 25-yarder on the first play of overtime, in Oklahoma's 43-42 overtime loss to Boise State in the Fiesta Bowl on Jan. 1.

The runner-up for the Heisman Trophy in 2004, Peterson set an NCAA freshman record with 1,925 yards before injuries derailed his sophomore and junior seasons. He missed all or part of four games with a sprained ankle last season.

"I think what's been underplayed from everybody is Adrian's a great competitor and he loves playing here, he loves playing with his team and I think also that people don't realize maybe in the end he feels he hasn't gotten everything he set out to get," Stoops said. "He maybe feels a little unfulfilled that way."

Stoops said his goal is to make sure Peterson is well-educated and bases his decision on accurate information.

"I think in the end he's still undecided for his life what he wants," Stoops said. "Adrian's had people trying to tell him what to do for a long period of time and he's used to listening to what he wants, not what everyone else thinks he ought to do, which is what I think a lot of people respect and admire about him."

With 4,045 yards in three seasons, Peterson ranks third on Oklahoma's career rushing list, behind 1978 Heisman winner Billy Sims (4,118) and Hall of Famer Joe Washington (4,071). He also holds the NCAA with nine straight 100-yard games to start his career.

In recent years, defensive tackle Tommie Harris and safety Brodney Pool opted to skip their senior seasons at Oklahoma to enter the draft. Quarterback Jason White and linebacker Rufus Alexander are among those who chose to return.

"Some other guys maybe felt they've run their course and done what they set out to do. Maybe he feels there's still some more to do. That's up to him to decide," Stoops said. "There isn't any pressure at all from our end. We support him fully in whatever he wants to do. In the end, it's his life to life, and I think that's to be respected."

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

usmc-sooner
1/11/2007, 04:46 PM
he's decided and he's going

you guys shouldn't tease yourselves.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/11/2007, 04:49 PM
he's decided and he's going

you guys shouldn't tease yourselves.

Yeah, I think so too but I'm not opposed to him telling Skip Bayless and a few others who reported the decision prematurely to suck it.

badger
1/11/2007, 04:57 PM
the last associated press update was given at 3:37. will keep updates coming, if any.
http://www.normantranscript.com/localnews/local_story_011164935.html
Gil Brandt, a draft expert for NFL.com and a longtime personnel director for the Dallas Cowboys, said he met Peterson in Arizona and was impressed with his character, particularly his willingness to play in the Fiesta Bowl despite having little to gain.
“I think he’s a top-10 pick is what he is, with one asterisk — that he doesn’t have an injury that these doctors see as a deterrent to longevity,” Brandt said. “The guy goes back, I think he has a chance to be a Heisman Trophy winner and be a top two or three pick.”
Brandt said he believes players generally benefit from staying in school longer.
“He’s not going to lose any money by staying in school,” Brandt said, “because the prices keep going up.”

Scott D
Citing two anonymous sources, The Dallas Morning News reported Wednesday night on its Web site that Peterson had decided to enter the draft and met with Stoops to inform him.

I'd for one appreciate if Mack Brown and Franchione would quit trying to act like they are 'sources close to Peterson'.

sooner94
Yeah, I think so too but I'm not opposed to him telling Skip Bayless and a few others who reported the decision prematurely to suck it.

Dude, your "Dick in A Box" avatar rocks.

TexasSooner01
1/11/2007, 05:00 PM

Like I said in the other thread.....

Skip Bayless is a Penis!

:pop:

8timechamps
1/11/2007, 05:03 PM
Here's why I think AD is having trouble with the decision:

Sure, there is the opportunity to win the Heisman (plus any additional awards), Pass Billy Simms and become OU's all-time leading rusher, make another run at the national title...but I think those are only ancillary reasons.

It's becoming clear that the NFL is unsure about is durability. At one point, early in the season, he was considered a top 5/10 pick. Now, there is talk that he may have fallen as far as early 2nd round. As an NFL coach/GM, I would be concerned abouting using my first round pick on a guy that may not be around long.

With that said, AD could be missing out on millions if he thinks he has fallen that far. And if AD is as strong and durable as he thinks he is (and as we all hope he is), then he is probably debating giving the Sooners one more year to raise his stock to a high first rounder.

Sure, it's a risk, but as was mentioned earlier, there's a risk of injury at any level. AND, unlike the "old days", even a severe knee injury doesn't always mean you can't become a star at the next level (Willis McGahee).

I'm sure he is struggling with the decision.

I was one of the first to say "I'll be happy for him no matter where he goes", but I've changed my mind...PLEASE STAY! Call me selfish, but I want one more year to relish him playing in a Sooner uniform.

william_brasky
1/11/2007, 05:16 PM
He may pull a Pendelton, quit football, and go to grad school. That's the word on the street.

Crazy Street that is.

Collier11
1/11/2007, 05:16 PM
whatever he does I have a ton of respect for him, he is going to be a millionaire regardless but he seems to be sincerely considering how hard it will be to leave his teammates and coaches

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/11/2007, 05:18 PM
Dude, your "Dick in A Box" avatar rocks.

Thanks

Funniest skit maybe EVAR on SNL.

colleyvillesooner
1/11/2007, 05:20 PM
I was one of the first to say "I'll be happy for him no matter where he goes", but I've changed my mind...PLEASE STAY! Call me selfish, but I want one more year to relish him playing in a Sooner uniform.

This is exactly how I feel. Watching him run for the Sooners in person will be stories I tell my kids someday, and I'd like to add a couple more chapters. :D

Scott D
1/11/2007, 05:21 PM
I liked coffeyvillesooner much better when he posted less and made videos more.

flopshotjoe99
1/11/2007, 05:23 PM
guess we'll just have to sweat it out till Monday.:pop:

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/11/2007, 05:25 PM
Here's why I think AD is having trouble with the decision:

Sure, there is the opportunity to win the Heisman (plus any additional awards), Pass Billy Simms and become OU's all-time leading rusher, make another run at the national title...but I think those are only ancillary reasons.

It's becoming clear that the NFL is unsure about is durability. At one point, early in the season, he was considered a top 5/10 pick. Now, there is talk that he may have fallen as far as early 2nd round. As an NFL coach/GM, I would be concerned abouting using my first round pick on a guy that may not be around long.

With that said, AD could be missing out on millions if he thinks he has fallen that far. And if AD is as strong and durable as he thinks he is (and as we all hope he is), then he is probably debating giving the Sooners one more year to raise his stock to a high first rounder.

Sure, it's a risk, but as was mentioned earlier, there's a risk of injury at any level. AND, unlike the "old days", even a severe knee injury doesn't always mean you can't become a star at the next level (Willis McGahee).

I'm sure he is struggling with the decision.

Forgive the idealist response but it could be similar to what happned in Leinart's case. Maybe AD loves being in college and playing at OU. No, I don't mean going to class, but being "The Man". I don't mean that in a purely egotistical sense but while you certainly have millions of rea$ons to want to turn pro almost every pro I've ever seen interviewed on the subject has great memories of the college days.

IF AD has the insurance policy in place he is not in danger of losing it all. Just losing a lot.

All that said, I still think in the end he opts to go pro. Though the longer the announcement takes the more I wonder if the shot at the NCAA rushing record, a Heisman and maybe a NC run might lead him to shock everyone.

colleyvillesooner
1/11/2007, 05:26 PM
I liked coffeyvillesooner much better when he posted less and made videos more.

:mad:

TXBOOMER
1/11/2007, 05:30 PM
[QUOTE=8timechamps]With that said, AD could be missing out on millions if he thinks he has fallen that far. And if AD is as strong and durable as he thinks he is (and as we all hope he is), then he is probably debating giving the Sooners one more year to raise his stock to a high first rounder.

AD will be a top ten pick this year. He is not coming back, there is no way in hell that he falls to the second round.

8timechamps
1/11/2007, 05:42 PM
[QUOTE=8timechamps]With that said, AD could be missing out on millions if he thinks he has fallen that far. And if AD is as strong and durable as he thinks he is (and as we all hope he is), then he is probably debating giving the Sooners one more year to raise his stock to a high first rounder.

AD will be a top ten pick this year. He is not coming back, there is no way in hell that he falls to the second round.

IF he goes pro, he will not be a top 10 pick this year. So, we'll have to agree to disagree on that.

8timechamps
1/11/2007, 05:44 PM
Forgive the idealist response but it could be similar to what happned in Leinart's case. Maybe AD loves being in college and playing at OU. No, I don't mean going to class, but being "The Man". I don't mean that in a purely egotistical sense but while you certainly have millions of rea$ons to want to turn pro almost every pro I've ever seen interviewed on the subject has great memories of the college days.

IF AD has the insurance policy in place he is not in danger of losing it all. Just losing a lot.

All that said, I still think in the end he opts to go pro. Though the longer the announcement takes the more I wonder if the shot at the NCAA rushing record, a Heisman and maybe a NC run might lead him to shock everyone.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure his teammates and staying in college have a lot to do with it too. But, with the kind of money he stands to gain, that's likely got more to do with it.

colleyvillesooner
1/11/2007, 05:47 PM
IF he goes pro, he will not be a top 10 pick this year. So, we'll have to agree to disagree on that.

You don't think the Texans would take him if he got past the Browns? I think if he got past the Browns and the Texans didn't want him, someone from 11-20 would be trading up to get him.

8timechamps
1/11/2007, 06:00 PM
You don't think the Texans would take him if he got past the Browns? I think if he got past the Browns and the Texans didn't want him, someone from 11-20 would be trading up to get him.

Anything is possible, and the Texans are a likely suspect, howver, on ESPN radio this morning, they said that stock is rising for Marshawn Lynch, and that the Texans are under a lot of pressure to "not screw up this draft" that they may take a more durable guy.

Fraggle145
1/11/2007, 06:05 PM
Who has two thumbs and hates AD threads about the :texan:s?

This guy

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/94/Fonzie.jpg

85sooners
1/11/2007, 07:03 PM
:D

Since71ASooner4Life
1/11/2007, 07:08 PM
Unless his public statement is just a negotiation ploy to reduce the commission with the agents he's talked to, I'm convinved he's very seriously thinking about staying. I believe at the end of the day this decision all comes down to dollars and cents, and my bet is due to the injuries he's not getting the affirmation he's looking for from NFL teams picking as high in the draft as he wants. Coming back can accomplish the things that most likely put him near the top position in next years draft if he stays healthy, and then he can get the money that goes with being a top pick.

crawfish
1/11/2007, 07:24 PM
$1500.

;)

Texas Golfer
1/11/2007, 07:24 PM
the last associated press update was given at 3:37. will keep updates coming, if any.
http://www.normantranscript.com/localnews/local_story_011164935.html
Gil Brandt, a draft expert for NFL.com and a longtime personnel director for the Dallas Cowboys, said he met Peterson in Arizona and was impressed with his character, particularly his willingness to play in the Fiesta Bowl despite having little to gain.
“I think he’s a top-10 pick is what he is, with one asterisk — that he doesn’t have an injury that these doctors see as a deterrent to longevity,” Brandt said. “The guy goes back, I think he has a chance to be a Heisman Trophy winner and be a top two or three pick.”
Brandt said he believes players generally benefit from staying in school longer.
“He’s not going to lose any money by staying in school,” Brandt said, “because the prices keep going up.”

Gil is a smart man. This is exactly what I said on an earlier thread.

Texas Golfer
1/11/2007, 07:28 PM
At one point, early in the season, he was considered a top 5/10 pick. Now, there is talk that he may have fallen as far as early 2nd round.

I haven't heard anyone state that he may not go until the 2nd round. EVERYONE says he'd be a top 10 pick.

If there's a possibility that he doesn't go until the 2nd round, he wouldn't still be thinking of his options. He'd have only one: return to OU and make bigger bucks in '08.

Texas Golfer
1/11/2007, 07:36 PM
[QUOTE=TXBOOMER]

He's already been told of which teams that have shown an interest and about where to be expected to go. If it's not in the top 10, he won't go. In fact, he wouldn't even still be thinking about it.

8timechamps
1/11/2007, 07:53 PM
[QUOTE=8timechamps]

He's already been told of which teams that have shown an interest and about where to be expected to go. If it's not in the top 10, he won't go. In fact, he wouldn't even still be thinking about it.

Who's told him? It can't be an agent. In fact, the only way he knows is based on what the rest of us know (internet, reports, speculation, etc). NFL teams, coaches, agents, etc. cannot contact him (unless he's okay with violating NCAA rules).

And "everyone" doesn't think he's going to be a lock in the top 10. As I said earlier, this morning (on the mike and mike show), and again later this afternoon (can't remember who it was, but it was on ESPN radio on XM at about 11:00) they said that Marshawn Lynch was moving up, and that could mean AD wouldn't go in the top ten.

Whether you agree, or not, there is a serious concern out there about his durability, and that can cause a player to fall.

birddog
1/11/2007, 07:57 PM
here is some mock draft stuff....

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/2007/top100.cfm

FrostySooner
1/11/2007, 08:05 PM
AD has been ranked as high as 2nd by Mel Kiper. He then dropped to 4th and now has dropped to 6th. At one point and time, Lynch was 5 or 6 spots below AD, but now he is ranked 8th, just 2 spots below AD.

Although he is not dropping as far as Troy Smith has, AD is losing ground slowly. I really think that his durability and pass catching ability are concerns for NFL teams.

Just because AD gets drafted in the top 5 doesn't mean he is guaranteed all the $$$$ that everyone is speaking of. If he had a injury early in his first year of the NFL he might not get all the $$$$ he should get.

Staying in is really his best option right now. I have a feeling that he will stay healthy, rush for 2,400+ yards, win the Heisman, break the OU record and the NCAA record, and go #1 next year proving he is durable and a receiving threat out of the backfield.

But, if he does go, good luck to him and his future endeavors. I know that I will watch him no matter what level he plays at next year.

Take your time AD!!!! Make the decision that is right for you and your family. You have been a pleasure to watch the last three years!!!

8timechamps
1/11/2007, 08:24 PM
here is some mock draft stuff....

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/2007/top100.cfm

Mock drafts are pretty worthless (ask Mel Kiper), and as a matter of fact the one you linked shows AD going 4th. That would put him with the Bucs. That's just plain goofy. I'm pretty sure the Bucs aren't looking for a RB with their #1 pick.

birddog
1/11/2007, 08:31 PM
just something to give you an idea of who the top guys are. i certainly didn't intend for you to take it as gospel.

Texas Golfer
1/11/2007, 08:48 PM
[QUOTE=Texas Golfer]

Who's told him? It can't be an agent. In fact, the only way he knows is based on what the rest of us know (internet, reports, speculation, etc). NFL teams, coaches, agents, etc. cannot contact him (unless he's okay with violating NCAA rules).

And "everyone" doesn't think he's going to be a lock in the top 10. As I said earlier, this morning (on the mike and mike show), and again later this afternoon (can't remember who it was, but it was on ESPN radio on XM at about 11:00) they said that Marshawn Lynch was moving up, and that could mean AD wouldn't go in the top ten.

Whether you agree, or not, there is a serious concern out there about his durability, and that can cause a player to fall.

The NCAA provides "draft experts" that analyze the upcoming drafts and provide mock drafts for athletes to better provide them sufficient information to make a conscience decision.

8timechamps
1/11/2007, 08:50 PM
just something to give you an idea of who the top guys are. i certainly didn't intend for you to take it as gospel.

I know you didn't. I was just making a point that mock drafts are a dime a dozen.

8timechamps
1/11/2007, 08:51 PM
[QUOTE=8timechamps]

The NCAA provides "draft experts" that analyze the upcoming drafts and provide mock drafts for athletes to better provide them sufficient information to make a conscience decision.

You learn something new everyday. I had no idea that NCAA provided that information.

Reincarnate
1/11/2007, 09:49 PM
AD has alot of good reasons to stay, breaking records, helping a Freshman QB, and improving his stock in the NFL draft.

The only negatives is getting hurt and not being able to play, but that is exactly what is hurting his draft potential now. If he played all year without injury and gobbled up some trophies along the way, it could pay off in the long run.

TXBOOMER
1/12/2007, 11:32 PM
[QUOTE=8timechamps]

Do a better job of quoting my man. I'm the one that said AD was a lock Top 10 pick! TXBOOMER

TXBOOMER
1/12/2007, 11:34 PM
[QUOTE=TXBOOMER]

I'll bet you a pizza......:pop:

poke4christ
1/12/2007, 11:59 PM
I personally think that any NFL team shooting for a running back that passes on him is moronic. However, his status is high now and who knows what will happen next year. Is it really worth it to try to go up 5-10 slots? IMHO, no. He should go now. Besides, OU has proved that they'll be just fine without him.

Socrefbek
1/13/2007, 12:04 AM
Adrian's theme song ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzNuF2QD-mI

Texas Golfer
1/13/2007, 03:08 AM
[QUOTE=Texas Golfer]

Do a better job of quoting my man. I'm the one that said AD was a lock Top 10 pick! TXBOOMER

Uh, I never said you weren't.:confused:

Collier11
1/13/2007, 03:10 AM
Mock drafts are pretty worthless (ask Mel Kiper), and as a matter of fact the one you linked shows AD going 4th. That would put him with the Bucs. That's just plain goofy. I'm pretty sure the Bucs aren't looking for a RB with their #1 pick.

Actually ive heard from various media outlets that the Browns and Bucs would draft him #1

RedstickSooner
1/13/2007, 12:50 PM
I, for one, am honored that AD has found this such a tough decision.

Frankly, I thought ever since his freshman season that he'd be gone once he was eligible to enter the draft -- and I wished him all the luck. He has run hard for us, and has been a once-in-a-generation running back.

The fact that his love for the University, the program, and the college game is great enough that he actually struggles with this decision... I find it remarkable, laudable, and refreshing.

Whatever he decides, I cherish the time he's suited up and played for us. I look forward to watching him play next year, whether it's as a Sooner, or a player in the NFL.

Good luck, and thanks, Adrian.

Boffingham
1/13/2007, 05:03 PM
Actually ive heard from various media outlets that the Browns and Bucs would draft him #1

I would throw up in my mouth a little if i had to watch AD take his hand-offs from Chris Simms.

I would love to see Roy Williams tackle AD some day

8timechamps
1/13/2007, 07:19 PM
[QUOTE=8timechamps]

I'll bet you a pizza......:pop:

You're on....of course, if he stays, it won't matter. But, I'll still let you buy me a pizza.

8timechamps
1/13/2007, 07:20 PM

IF the Bucs used their first round pick to take AD, that would make no sense. They need help on the O Line, and Cadillac Williams is a good back. Of course, teams have done so many stupid things over the years, it wouldn't surprise me.

Collier11
1/13/2007, 07:25 PM
True, I never said it was smart...only that ive heard that

Taxman71
1/13/2007, 08:20 PM
Given the lack of impact top receivers have had lately, Mike Williams, Charles Rogers, the kid from Michigan, I just don't see a team taking a WR at #1. You can get a proven top notch free agent WR for less money.

bluedogok
1/13/2007, 09:19 PM
Given the lack of impact top receivers have had lately, Mike Williams, Charles Rogers, the kid from Michigan, I just don't see a team taking a WR at #1. You can get a proven top notch free agent WR for less money.
Except for Matt Millen, he loves to take receivers No. 1 whether they need them or not.

You can never tell with the draft, no one expected Reggie Bush to go at 2 or Lienart to fall as far as he did, or the QB from Cal that Green Bay drafted a few years ago to fall that far.

I think the NFL and NCAA put together some sort of advisement program for underclassmen so they didn't have to violate NCAA rules, that way they are suppose to get realistic info instead of someone like an agent or Mel Kiper blowing hot air up their ***.

Taxman71
1/14/2007, 11:52 AM
I think AD is a sudden impact player and would get top 5 money even if he fell to lower top 10 or 12 picks. Last year, Lienart got top 3 money despite being #11 or so. The only thing AD lacks is the ability to avoid contact. Teach him that and you have a top 5 back of Shaun Alexander caliber.

Ruuuuuufus
1/14/2007, 12:59 PM

Bucs and the Browns had the same record and same strength of schedule, so there will be a coin flip to determine who gets priority. Browns could have the fourth pick.

8timechamps
1/14/2007, 04:44 PM
Bucs and the Browns had the same record and same strength of schedule, so there will be a coin flip to determine who gets priority. Browns could have the fourth pick.

As of right now, the Bucs have the #4 pick. According to NFL .com.

sooneron
1/14/2007, 06:24 PM
I would hate to see AD go to Cleveland.

Ruuuuuufus
1/14/2007, 06:55 PM
As of right now, the Bucs have the #4 pick. According to NFL .com.

I couldn't find it on nfl.com, but the coin flip usually doesn't occur until after the Super Bowl.