PDA

View Full Version : Apparently, physics is cool now.

Ike
1/11/2007, 03:35 PM
Probably its just the effect I have on kids....they all wanna be like me.

who can blame them?

;)

http://scienceblogs.com/principles/2007/01/hot_new_trend_highschool_physi_1.php

There's been lots of news from the AAS meeting in Seattle this week, but the best from my perspective is that high school physics enrollments have neevr been higher:

" Presenting new data that encourage this outlook, [Michael] Neuschatz [senior research associate at AIP's Statistical Research Center] will show that enrollment in high school physics classes is up and likely to continue increasing. The data show more than 30 percent of high school seniors have taken physics classes, more than ever before. This percentage has been rising steadily since the mid-1980s.

In addition, the percentage of 18-year-olds who have taken physics is also at an all-time high in the nation. In 1930, 29 percent of 18 year-olds in the United States graduated high school, rising to 77 percent by 1970. In 1930, only 15 percent of 18 year-olds took physics. In 2005, says Neuschatz, the figure increased to a high of 25 percent."

Yes, that's right, it's hip to be a physicist. We're the new youth craze-- Britney Spears will give up this pop starlet thing, and return to her roots, Justin Timberlake will be posing with a copy of Physics Today, and J.K. Rowling will be handing in the manuscript of Harry Potter and Halliday and Resnick (in which the young wizard goes to Oxford and discovers that frictionless blocks sliding on inclined planes are every bit as exciting as Quidditch).

yermom
1/11/2007, 03:43 PM
30 percent is hardly "hip" :D

Physics was one of my favorite classes in high school. but without Calculus it's not nearly as easy to understand, they kinda go together. i'm sure that turns some people off

BlondeSoonerGirl
1/11/2007, 03:45 PM
Physics was one of my favorite classes in high school. but without Calculus it's not nearly as easy to understand, they kinda go together. i'm sure that turns some people off

Word. I loved it, too.

:kelvin:

SoonerStormchaser
1/11/2007, 03:46 PM
Turned me off...and I had to take five semesters of it at OU!

And now I'm not using it at all in my job.