PDA

View Full Version : Is the minimum wage raising in Oklahoma?

MamaMia
1/11/2007, 09:33 AM
Yesterday evening I had a conversation with the lady who cleans the kitchen and dining room at my church. She heard that the minimum wage is raising in Oklahoma, and asked me if I had heard anything. I don't read the newspaper anymore like I use to. It just depresses me. Have any of you heard this?

OklahomaTuba
1/11/2007, 09:41 AM
Congress passed it, so it is going to raise everywhere if it passes the Senate and Bush signs it.

Personally, I think it hurts a lot more people than it helps. A lot of teenagers will be happy though.

Chuck Bao
1/11/2007, 09:42 AM
Why would it depress you, MamaMia?

Maybe it's about time for the church cleaning lady to get a raise.

Mjcpr
1/11/2007, 09:45 AM

Maybe it's about time for the church cleaning lady to get a raise.

She was talking about the "news" in general I think.

I saw something in the paper that mentioned some of the surrounding states had a higher minimum wage than Oklahoma (and Texas for that matter). I guess, as a state, you can set your own minimum wage?

PhxSooner
1/11/2007, 09:54 AM
I think you can set your own mininum wage but it can't be lower than the federal one. The House passed a raise to $7.25/hour, so if that goes into law, yeah, she'll get a raise.

Mjcpr
1/11/2007, 09:55 AM
The Duke brothers must be turning over in their graves.

MamaMia
1/11/2007, 09:56 AM

Maybe it's about time for the church cleaning lady to get a raise.The lady who cleans our rectory makes plenty doing it, but she has helpers who work for her on the weekend cleaning office buildings. Shes afraid that she wont be able to afford them all if the minimum wage goes up as much as she heard it will.

Does anyone know how much it may go up?

Mjcpr
1/11/2007, 09:57 AM
She should call Howzit; he cleans rectories all the time for nothing.

OklahomaTuba
1/11/2007, 10:00 AM
The lady who cleans our rectory makes plenty doing it, but she has helpers who work for her on the weekend cleaning office buildings. Shes afraid that she wont be able to afford them all if the minimum wage goes up as much as she heard it will.

Does anyone know how much it may go up?

You think raising the minimum wage is bad, wait till the donks start gutting your paychecks to pay for government healthcare for all, including those illegals who don't pay shiat.

My favorite will be the gas tax increase, to stop global warming and stuff.

MamaMia
1/11/2007, 10:09 AM
You think raising the minimum wage is bad, wait till the donks start gutting your paychecks to pay for government healthcare for all, including those illegals who don't pay shiat.

My favorite will be the gas tax increase, to stop global warming and stuff.
:eek: My paycheck is already gutted enough.

I make less than my employees. :(

Mjcpr
1/11/2007, 10:10 AM

I make less than my employees. :(

Yeah, but they ain't married to a dentist.

:D

GrapevineSooner
1/11/2007, 10:22 AM
Congress passed it, so it is going to raise everywhere if it passes the Senate and Bush signs it.

Personally, I think it hurts a lot more people than it helps. A lot of teenagers fortunate to still have jobs once the raises are enacted will be happy though.

Fixed.

As for the others, good luck finding another job.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/11/2007, 10:43 AM

I make less than my employees. :(And that's still too much, mama. YOU are an evil business owner, and must be punished.

MamaMia
1/11/2007, 11:16 AM
Yeah, but they ain't married to a dentist.

:D
I'll have you know that I am the wind beneath his drill. :D

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/OUmom/little_devil_winks.gifPlus, hes stingy. Sometimes I have to sort of sneak a little money.

soonerboomer93
1/11/2007, 11:22 AM
She should call Howzit; he cleans rectories all the time for nothing.

he cleans rectums

get it right

:pop:

OklahomaTuba
1/11/2007, 11:56 AM
Imagine the frenzy this is causing over at the osu career placement office.

soonervegas
1/11/2007, 12:10 PM
How does minimum wage "hurt" people? Should there not be a minimum wage at all? Please explain.

I am not for our against....I just hear many people say it's a bad thing and leave it at that. I would like something more.

picasso
1/11/2007, 12:16 PM
How does minimum wage "hurt" people? Should there not be a minimum wage at all? Please explain.

I am not for our against....I just hear many people say it's a bad thing and leave it at that. I would like something more.
it's usually for an entry level job.

requiring companies to raise it sometimes causes layoffs.

OU Adonis
1/11/2007, 12:23 PM
Raising the Min wage only hurts if there is high unemployment. Unemployment is extreamly low, especially in the Oklahoma city area. If someone gets laid off because of the hike, they will have an easy time finding another entry level job.

At my work we have a hard time finding enough applicants because the unemployment rate is so low.

1/11/2007, 12:28 PM

I am not for our against....I just hear many people say it's a bad thing and leave it at that. I would like something more.Industries that have minimum wage people have to raise prices and/or fire people to absorb the increased expense. Also, upward pricing pressures causes an inflation spiral to form. We all lose. It is the business of the employer, not the govt., to set the pay rate for his company.

MamaMia
1/11/2007, 12:29 PM
It looks like if that law passes, it will raise the minimum wage in Oklahoma from 5.15 an hr. to 7.25 an hour. My employees make more than that anyway. I wonder if they're going to want a raise?

OklahomaTuba
1/11/2007, 01:10 PM

Its easy, the government is forcing businesses to pay someone more. What do you think those businesses are going to do to offset that increase in overhead???

Well, either reduce that overhead (layoffs) or raise prices. Now tell me how that helps anyone??? How can layoffs and increased prices help the poor???

OklahomaTuba
1/11/2007, 01:12 PM
Raising the Min wage only hurts if there is high unemployment. Unemployment is extreamly low, especially in the Oklahoma city area. If someone gets laid off because of the hike, they will have an easy time finding another entry level job.

At my work we have a hard time finding enough applicants because the unemployment rate is so low.

The other part of that is it will still raise prices. The market should be doing that, not the government.

Chuck Bao
1/11/2007, 02:50 PM
Minimum wage in Bangkok is $5.30 per day. Assuming an eight-hour work day, that'd be about 66 cents per hour. Minimum wage is lower in the provinces.

On the positive side, any visit to a state-owned hospital for whatever reason and for however long the stay costs only 83 cents. Okay, the service isn't the greatest, but at least it is affordable to those on minimum wage.

For those talking about job losses to overseas, it is not just the cost of labor. It is also the costs having to be borne by laborers. Ask the drug companies why there is a two-tier pricing structure of the US and the rest of the world.

Czar Soonerov
1/11/2007, 02:54 PM
http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/2007/01/minwage/map.html

soonervegas
1/11/2007, 05:00 PM
Its easy, the government is forcing businesses to pay someone more. What do you think those businesses are going to do to offset that increase in overhead???

Well, either reduce that overhead (layoffs) or raise prices. Now tell me how that helps anyone??? How can layoffs and increased prices help the poor???

My only response in this would be that layoffs seem invalid as a reason to me. Companies already try to be as efficient as possible when it comes to cost (maxmizing profits)...so if they knew they could get by with 2 employees as opposed to 3 then they already would have. The minimum wage hike isn't going to change that. Now I do see the costs being transferred to the consumer. But do you think the costs negate the raise for these people. Will the rise in costs amount to more than 2.10 per hour for these people? So will they pay more in rising costs than $336 per month. I don't think they would. So we are really just po'd that middle class will have to take more of the burden correct?

Scott D
1/11/2007, 05:10 PM
Industries that have minimum wage people have to raise prices and/or fire people to absorb the increased expense. Also, upward pricing pressures causes an inflation spiral to form. We all lose. It is the business of the employer, not the govt., to set the pay rate for his company.

the easy way to get around that is to quit letting companies have a VP of Janitorial Inspections sitting next to a VP of Quality Assurances who is ranked ahead of a VP of Parcel Distribution.

Companies would be better off cutting the fat from the top, kind of how government would work better the same way.

Scott D
1/11/2007, 05:12 PM
My only response in this would be that layoffs seem invalid as a reason to me. Companies already try to be as efficient as possible when it comes to cost (maxmizing profits)...so if they knew they could get by with 2 employees as opposed to 3 then they already would have. The minimum wage hike isn't going to change that. Now I do see the costs being transferred to the consumer. But do you think the costs negate the raise for these people. Will the rise in costs amount to more than 2.10 per hour for these people? So will they pay more in rising costs than $336 per month. I don't think they would. So we are really just po'd that middle class will have to take more of the burden correct?

It's double edged. the $2.10 increase (which depending on the entry level job won't make much of a dent except in lower cost of living areas) works twofold. One, employers have to increase expenses by that amount. However, it stimulates consumerism because these individuals whom have gotten the increase will tend to just spend the extra $2.10/hr putting it back into circulation.

The good news for all of us is that it won't affect tip reliant industries at all :D

OU Adonis
1/11/2007, 06:09 PM
Industries that have minimum wage people have to raise prices and/or fire people to absorb the increased expense. Also, upward pricing pressures causes an inflation spiral to form. We all lose. It is the business of the employer, not the govt., to set the pay rate for his company.

Your right, the business has the employee's best interest in mind.

1/11/2007, 06:15 PM
Your right, the business has the employee's best interest in mind.Some do and some don't. The smart ones do. Doesn't mean they should be throwing money away, or that it's the right of the govt. to set a company's wage structure, fergodsakes.