PDA

View Full Version : Is it a "hook and lateral" or "hook and ladder"...

Soonerus
1/10/2007, 11:03 PM
...I have always thought "hook and lateral" which has always made perfect sense to me. But USA Today and Arizona papers all referred to the play as a "hook and ladder" which makes no sense to me...Can anybody help ??

Reincarnate
1/10/2007, 11:04 PM
It is hook and ladder. It has something to do with a Firestation, and it was drawn in the sand.

:edit: Nope, it refers to a type of firetruck.........that is what wiki said. I remember when we ran that play back in the day and it was called ladder as well.

Wikipedia

"Meaning of "Hook and Ladder"

Although more literally a "hook and lateral", the play is more often referred to as the "hook and ladder" play, a pun on the name of a particular kind of fire truck. The name also references the two half back routes most often utilized for the play, a buttonhook (straight turnaround catch) and a ladder (out and up sideline route). However, the name "hook and ladder" is also used to refer to other variations of the play.

On the January 2, 2007 broadcast of ESPN's Around the Horn, sportswriter Woody Paige claimed, perhaps facetiously, that the name "hook and ladder" originated with NYC Firemen Football Team in Hell's Kitchen, New York. This was in response to the other panelists ridiculing his use of "hook and ladder" rather than "hook and lateral." The next day, Jay Mariotti claimed the phrase "hook and ladder" referred to coal mining in Pennsylvania in the 1930s -- his research claims that coal miners need a hook and ladder when trapped in a mine."

Soonerus
1/10/2007, 11:05 PM
It is hook and ladder.

Explain please, because all Oklahoma papers are referring to it as the "hook and lateral"...

Zedd
1/10/2007, 11:08 PM
Its a hook and lateral.

The route run is a "hook" or a curl, with the lateral coming after. Hook and ladder is also correct I believe, but is just used as slang.

Soonerus
1/10/2007, 11:10 PM
Its a hook and lateral.

The route run is a "hook" or a curl, with the lateral coming after. Hook and ladder is also correct I believe, but is just used as slang.

That makes perfect sense to me...

Reincarnate
1/10/2007, 11:13 PM
Read my edit above :)

Reincarnate
1/10/2007, 11:13 PM
Read my edit above :)

Soonerus
1/10/2007, 11:15 PM
OK

opksooner
1/10/2007, 11:15 PM
Hook, shmook.............we still lost. :(

Soonerus
1/10/2007, 11:17 PM
This is an academic question not referring to any particular game, football, rugby, whatever...

Reincarnate
1/10/2007, 11:20 PM
This is an academic question not referring to any particular game, football, rugby, whatever...
I am not sure I follow what ur asking then.:confused:

Soonerus
1/10/2007, 11:21 PM
It is hook and ladder. It has something to do with a Firestation, and it was drawn in the sand.

:edit: Nope, it refers to a type of firetruck.........that is what wiki said. I remember when we ran that play back in the day and it was called ladder as well.

Wikipedia

"Meaning of "Hook and Ladder"

Although more literally a "hook and lateral", the play is more often referred to as the "hook and ladder" play, a pun on the name of a particular kind of fire truck. The name also references the two half back routes most often utilized for the play, a buttonhook (straight turnaround catch) and a ladder (out and up sideline route). However, the name "hook and ladder" is also used to refer to other variations of the play.

On the January 2, 2007 broadcast of ESPN's Around the Horn, sportswriter Woody Paige claimed, perhaps facetiously, that the name "hook and ladder" originated with NYC Firemen Football Team in Hell's Kitchen, New York. This was in response to the other panelists ridiculing his use of "hook and ladder" rather than "hook and lateral." The next day, Jay Mariotti claimed the phrase "hook and ladder" referred to coal mining in Pennsylvania in the 1930s -- his research claims that coal miners need a hook and ladder when trapped in a mine."

My analysis of that is "hook and lateral" is the proper term...

Reincarnate
1/10/2007, 11:23 PM
Technically it is a hook and lateral, but I believe it was originally called hook and ladder based on the routes ran by the two receivers........................over time, people construed the words ladder as "lateral".

Since I am a football purist, proper term would be hook and ladder.

Soonerus
1/10/2007, 11:24 PM
Technically it is a hook and lateral, but I believe it was originally called hook and ladder based on the routes ran by the two receivers........................over time, people construed the words ladder as "lateral".

Since I am a football purist, proper term would be hook and ladder.

I disagree based upon the material you previously posted (and common sense)...leads to a different conclusion...

Reincarnate
1/10/2007, 11:26 PM
Ask Barry Switzer, $100 dollars sez he calls it a hook and ladder. :D

Soonerus
1/10/2007, 11:27 PM
I can ask Barry and get him to say "hook and lateral"...

jps
1/10/2007, 11:29 PM
Boise State's coach called it the hook and ladder on 610 radio down here in Houston for what it's worth. I think the names are obviously synonymous.

Reincarnate
1/10/2007, 11:29 PM
I can only atest to what it was called 20 years ago, he might be senile now and agree with you lol.

Soonerus
1/10/2007, 11:30 PM
Boise State's coach who did the twist on the 2 point conversion play...he is a shaky guy...

Soonerus
1/10/2007, 11:32 PM
I can only atest to what it was called 20 years ago, he might be senile now and agree with you lol.

Are you calling Switzer senile ????

sanantoniosooner
1/10/2007, 11:32 PM
Maybe we can debate about poynsetEEEa or poynsetta(spelled phonetically for you fellers)

Soonerus
1/10/2007, 11:33 PM
Geeeezzzz, who asked you ???

olevetonahill
1/10/2007, 11:35 PM
Rus on a different vein, same thought . Is it shovel pass ? or shuttle ? :confused:

Reincarnate
1/10/2007, 11:36 PM
I was just kidding, Switzer is a god. http://forums.torrentspy.com/images/smilies/bongL3i8.gif

sanantoniosooner
1/10/2007, 11:37 PM
I don't get French Benefits?

Soonerus
1/10/2007, 11:37 PM
Rus on a different vein, same thought . Is it shovel pass ? or shuttle ? :confused:

Good question, In think shovel is most logical....

Soonerus
1/10/2007, 11:38 PM
I don't get French Benefits?

You are watching Denny Crain too often....

sanantoniosooner
1/10/2007, 11:39 PM
I'm all for diversity.

I dated a midget.

olevetonahill
1/10/2007, 11:39 PM
Good question, In think shovel is most logical....
But according to announcer type folks we hear it both ways :eek:
Kinda like the " hook and lateral " ;)

Soonerus
1/10/2007, 11:40 PM
I'm all for diversity.

I dated a midget.

I know, and you dated the midget's mother too.....

Soonerus
1/10/2007, 11:41 PM
But according to announcer type folks we hear it both ways :eek:
Kinda like the " hook and lateral " ;)

True, so the question is, are they both proper either way ???

Beano's Fourth Chin
1/10/2007, 11:51 PM

Switzer called it a Hook and Lateral on the radio yesterday. He said that some sports writer along the way misheard what a coach was saying. He talked about it for a few minutes and was pretty adamant that it wasn't "ladder."

Soonerus
1/10/2007, 11:52 PM
I heard that....

OzarkSooner
1/11/2007, 12:30 AM

Hate to muddy up the water on this one any further, but, I believe I've also heard it called a "Utah Pass." (Couldn't find that term though in a quick search of Google and Yahoo.)

GottaHavePride
1/11/2007, 12:39 AM
Hate to muddy up the water on this one any further, but, I believe I've also heard it called a "Utah Pass." (Couldn't find that term though in a quick search of Google and Yahoo.)

I've heard it called shovel, shuttle, shuffle and Utah pass.

olevetonahill
1/11/2007, 12:51 AM
So to clarify these issues ? It means the announcers dont know, come here from sicem ?

OUAndy1807
1/11/2007, 07:26 AM
smart people call it a hook and lateral, dumb people call it a hook and ladder.

Jason White's Third Knee
1/11/2007, 08:21 AM
I've heard it called shovel, shuttle, shuffle and Utah pass.

I don't nothing 'bout no Utah pass, but yeah, the shovel, shuttle, shuffle thing is wierd. Pick one and stick to it.

I think that Hook and Lateral has to be right. Hook and ladder sounds pretty Alabama to me.

sanantoniosooner
1/11/2007, 08:38 AM
I've heard them call it the "Ho and Lad"

KABOOKIE
1/11/2007, 09:06 AM
Being the Sooner defense got burned on it, "hook and ladder" seems more appropriate.

ashley
1/11/2007, 09:23 AM
I coacher for 38 yrs and never once heard it called anything in coaching circles but lateral.

sanantoniosooner
1/11/2007, 09:42 AM
Being the Sooner defense got burned on it, "hook and ladder" seems more appropriate.
We got screwed by it so I vote for "Ho and Lad"

The_Red_Patriot
1/11/2007, 09:49 AM
Switzer laughed at "hook and ladder" tuesday night. He said its called a Hook and Lateral

Im sorry but case closed.

What Switzer says goes

TUSooner
1/11/2007, 10:45 AM
There are no ladders in football, therefore it had to start out as hook (pattern) and lateral (pass). But abuse, ignorance, laziness, mishearing, and persistent misuse have caused "hook and ladder" to creep in and imbed itself in the language, even though it makes no sense to thoughful people. Bill Curry is just wrong !

:)

TopDawg
1/11/2007, 11:38 AM

I haven't read this entire thread so someone may have already mentioned this, but it's funny you say that because just the other day he was on the SportsAnimal talking to Craig and Craig said something like "what about that hook and ladder play?" and Switzer said something like "Craig, it's hook and lateral. The guy runs a hook, then laterals the ball to someone else. Some reporter misunderstood when we said 'hook and lateral' and wrote it as 'hook and ladder.'" Something to that effect.

At any rate, Switzer says it's the "hook and lateral."

TopDawg
1/11/2007, 11:39 AM
Switzer laughed at "hook and ladder" tuesday night. He said its called a Hook and Lateral

Im sorry but case closed.

What Switzer says goes

Oh. There ya go. Thanks TRP.

C&CDean
1/11/2007, 11:45 AM
I couldn't give a ****. All I know is that I called it the "holy ****ing ****, somebody tackle that guy!!! can you believe this ****?" play.

ruf/nekdad
1/11/2007, 11:50 AM
I know, and you dated the midget's mother too.....

careful of the hex.

Tear Down This Wall
1/11/2007, 11:56 AM
[Major League]Who gives a shi*t, it's gone.[/Major League]

OklahomaRed
1/11/2007, 12:12 PM
If the BSU coach called in a hood and ladder, then he can name it whatever the heck he wants to. It beat us. If I draw up a play in the sand and call it a "pee in the air", then that's what it is "IF" I run it on you and it beats you for the Fiesta Bowl Championship. :D

OUmillenium
1/11/2007, 12:46 PM
I always called that one pee in the atmosphere. I wonder which is correct

Seamus
1/11/2007, 01:10 PM
I couldn't give a ****. All I know is that I called it the "holy ****ing ****, somebody tackle that guy!!! can you believe this ****?" play.

My version had a few more ****s and ****s ... :mad:

Seamus
1/11/2007, 01:12 PM
I'm all for diversity.

I dated a midget.

Was his name Neil?

the_ouskull
1/11/2007, 05:19 PM
I didn't want to weed through three pages of thread to see if someone answered it already...

It's "Hook and Lateral." It has morphed into 'Hook and Ladder' over the years because people are lazy, and 'lateral' isn't as easy to say as 'ladder.'

the_ouskull

sanantoniosooner
1/11/2007, 05:28 PM
I didn't want to weed through three pages of thread to see if someone answered it already...

It's "Hook and Lateral." It has morphed into 'Hook and Ladder' over the years because people are lazy, and 'lateral' isn't as easy to say as 'ladder.'

the_ouskull
exactly..........for the most part.

I think there are a select number of boneheads that probably transfer the "hook and ladder" they have a vague recollection of from fireman speak.

southern sooner
1/11/2007, 05:50 PM
always thought it was hook and latteral but it isnt it is hhok and ladder. It was created and named by a WVU coach in the 50's, something to do with the miners and their equipment.... they had a special on ESPNU last week and had the guys name, he just died in the last couple of years....

SleestakSooner
1/11/2007, 05:51 PM
All I know is when I saw it happening it felt like someone had just dropped a nukular bomb on me! :D

the_ouskull
1/11/2007, 09:47 PM
always thought it was hook and latteral but it isnt it is hhok and ladder. It was created and named by a WVU coach in the 50's, something to do with the miners and their equipment.... they had a special on ESPNU last week and had the guys name, he just died in the last couple of years....

He died because he's a liar. It's hook and lateral. That's what the f'ing play IS... and hook, and then a lateral.

It became "ladder" through lazy-*ssed English, and people being apologetic about it.

the_ouskull

Reincarnate
1/11/2007, 09:52 PM
Well I guess I was wrong, I know it was a long time ago but I coulda swore it was ladder..................but I'll go with what Switzer sez. :twinkies:

tnraider1
1/12/2007, 08:55 PM

What the hell does ESPN know about anything? Is their word now the gospel?

Oldnslo
1/13/2007, 10:16 AM
nonononono. People have been getting that "pee in the air" play's name wrong forevar. It was first drawn up by a New York Coach who had immigrated from France. Dude's name was Pierre Dixout, so you can see where some confusion might kick in, especially if you forget that fancy way of speaking them Frogs have.

Anyway, the real name of the play is "The Whizzer".

Ash
1/13/2007, 10:59 AM
nonononono. People have been getting that "pee in the air" play's name wrong forevar. It was first drawn up by a New York Coach who had immigrated from France. Dude's name was Pierre Dixout, so you can see where some confusion might kick in, especially if you forget that fancy way of speaking them Frogs have.

Anyway, the real name of the play is "The Whizzer".

But I just saw this special on ESPNU where they interviewed the coach who made it up. He said it was called the "Golden Shower".

It's just you f'in hillbillies that call it the "whizzer".

Oldnslo
1/13/2007, 12:16 PM
But I just saw this special on ESPNU where they interviewed the coach who made it up. He said it was called the "Golden Shower".

It's just you f'in hillbillies that call it the "whizzer".
I'm pretty sure that the Golden Shower is what the play is called in San Fransico's version of the West Coast offense. But, Cleveland runs it out the other end.

oooooh, yeah.

Ash
1/13/2007, 12:29 PM
I'm pretty sure that the Golden Shower is what the play is called in San Fransico's version of the West Coast offense. But, Cleveland runs it out the other end.

oooooh, yeah.
:eek: :D

aurorasooner
1/13/2007, 01:48 PM
[edit] Meaning of "Hook and Ladder"

On the January 2, 2007 broadcast of ESPN's Around the Horn, sportswriter Woody Paige claimed, perhaps facetiously, that the name "hook and ladder" originated with NYC Firemen Football Team in Hell's Kitchen, New York. This was in response to the other panelists ridiculing his use of "hook and ladder" rather than "hook and lateral." The next day, Jay Mariotti claimed the phrase "hook and ladder" referred to coal mining in Pennsylvania in the 1930s -- his research claims that coal miners need a hook and ladder when trapped in a mine
wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hook_and_lateral)

Boffingham
1/13/2007, 05:01 PM
who cares what the play is called...we don't know how to defend it either way

Jdog
1/13/2007, 09:59 PM
It's "Hook and Lateral" - not not "Hook and Ladder".

It's also a "Free Throw" - not a "Three throw"

----
Switzer would call a Utah Pass instead of a shovel Pass.

And The "Whizzer" had something to do with former Supreme Court Justices Byron “Whizzer” White – who was an All American running back at CU back in the 40’s

Dumb A$$

Pigface1
1/14/2007, 04:13 PM
It is Hook and Ladder.

/