PDA

View Full Version : PSA: Regarding General Motors Dex-Cool antifreeze

BudSooner
1/10/2007, 09:01 PM
Just a little info for those who drive GM cars and trucks from 1996 and up.
Starting in 1996 General Motors started using it's own brand of antifreeze known as Dex-Cool and is also marketed by Texaco, it's unique that it is orange in color and is supposed to be good up until 5yrs or 150,000 miles-not that I would ever let the stuff be in there that long...not a good idea and I do flush out the system at least once every other year depending on how much mileage the car gets.

I've heard some stuff online about just how bad this stuff is for the intake manifold gaskets(though GM says it's due to a faulty part design)that is eats them up and pretty soon you have a vaccum leak and a very rough running car or truck.

I haven't had much reason to believe this until this week, my aunts 2001 Monte Carlo SS started running very bad to the point you could only drive it about a mile or so before it would get a very rough idle and die.
Mechanics have pointed to various causes like Throttle position sensor(nope)Mass Airflow Sensor(again, nope)or a possible issue with the ignition.
This morning I did some more research and checked the radiator, just like everyone in the articles had said..there was a slimy sludge substance in the recovery tank that had what looked like debris similar to rotted cardboard floating in it.

For your own information, have a look at the stuff in your cars radiator or have a mechanic take a look at it, some estimates have shown that it will take upwards of $1000 or more to replace just the intake manifold gaskets-NOT including anything else like timing chain covers/cylinder head gaskets.

There is word that this may turn into a class action lawsuit, no word if Oklahoma is involved with the 11 states that are already involved.

Some links about the stuff and complaints filed-
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2006/08/gm_dexcool.html
This is a rather old link, but does supply some info on the product-
http://www.aftermarketnews.com/default.aspx?type=art&id=77707
http://www.wcpo.com/wcpo/localshows/dontwasteyourmoney/20299ce7.html

Can any of the legal guys on the board shed some light on what would be a good starting point legal wise should this need to be taken further?

TheHumanAlphabet
1/11/2007, 10:51 AM
If you read my posts for a while, you know I hate DexCool. Get rid of it. Chemically clean the cooling system and replace the shi'ite with the green stuff. I did it on my '96 Impala SS and don't regret it. IT has also help in me not replacing heater cores. That Dexcool **** plugged up two before I got smart and got rid of Dexcool.

BudSooner
1/11/2007, 10:59 AM
Did it create alot of damage to your gaskets or water pump?
I'm surprised this issue has not gotten alot more attention since it can cause the car to quit and possibly create an accident, let alone the thousands of dollars it takes to repair an engine...say a Corvette engine?
Just off the top of my head, I would have to say that a complete motor would go for $8000-$10,000 or more.
But here is a good question now that I have brought that up, since the Vette is GM's flagship vehicle...do they actually use DexCool in it??
Vette owners usually end up buying another, and I cannot see them trying to anger those guys who put up huge $$$ for those rides by putting that crap in the cooling system.

soonerboomer93
1/11/2007, 11:26 AM
you should have bought a Camry

soonerboomer93
1/11/2007, 11:27 AM
oh, and i'll just add this to the list of reason's I will never buy GM

picasso
1/11/2007, 11:38 AM
it's true, that sludge is in the recovery tank in my Grand Prix.

Petro-Sooner
Thanks Bud! I put the green stuff in about a year ago after reading that it was "suppose" to have this dexcool. Glad I did.

TheHumanAlphabet
Did it create alot of damage to your gaskets or water pump?

Not sure, but I think we did have to replace the water pump prior to getting rid of the dicksnotcool...I'll have to check my maintenance notes.

When we decided to replace the crap, the technician (non-GM third party guy who told us to get rid of it) said it was sludgey. I looked at it and it looked like old oil sludge.