PDA

View Full Version : I'm in the project that won't die

Widescreen
1/10/2007, 12:02 PM
We were supposed to ship our product at the end of November. So we worked like crazy to make that happen (tons of overtime). We didn't make it so we were supposed to ship the 2nd week of December. So we worked like crazy to make that happen (tons of overtime). We didn't make it so we were supposed to ship tomorrow. So we worked like crazy to make that happen (tons of overtime only getting off on Christmas day - we've been working weekends and even on New Years day. I didn't get to go to OK to celebrate Christmas with my family because of this). So today we found out we get to work like hell for another 2 weeks to see if we can make that. :mad:

There have been 2 main problems with the project:
1) This is a 6 month project and they gave us 2 months to do it in.
2) The 3rd party tool we're shipping with this and are 100% dependent on does not really do what we need it to so this other company is basically issuing near daily patches to us to fix the messes they keep making.

This sucks. HARD.

crawfish
1/10/2007, 01:41 PM
Wha? I don't remember posting this?

;)

TheHumanAlphabet
1/10/2007, 01:53 PM
Soooo... is this a hardware product or a software product? I love it when people sell stuff they have no earthly clue what they are saying.

Reminds me whne I was at The Weather Channel in the mid-80s and we had to make up some stupid map we called the bug report becuase some stupid lame-a$$ salesman sold an ad for Off or Raid. I don't even remember what type of data we used, but there was a damn map on the screen...

SoonerJack
1/10/2007, 02:00 PM
You FALSIFIED A BUG REPORT on the WEATHER CHANNEL?

Heretic! [no pun intended]

Sooner_Bob
1/10/2007, 02:12 PM
It's a problem of motivation, all right? Now if I work my *** off and Initech ships a few extra units, I don't see another dime; so where's the motivation? And here's something else, Bob: I have eight different bosses right now.

Sooner_Bob
1/10/2007, 02:13 PM
Eight, Bob. So that means that when I make a mistake, I have eight different people coming by to tell me about it. That's my only real motivation is not to be hassled; that, and the fear of losing my job. But you know, Bob, that will only make someone work just hard enough not to get fired.

Widescreen
1/10/2007, 02:25 PM
Soooo... is this a hardware product or a software product?
Software.

Update: I've just been told to go to a 1:30 meeting because they've changed their mind and are going to go ahead and ship tomorrow. Or maybe they'll just can us all. Stay tuned for more upcoming shenanigans.

crawfish
1/10/2007, 02:32 PM
Software.

Update: I've just been told to go to a 1:30 meeting because they've changed their mind and are going to go ahead and ship tomorrow. Or maybe they'll just can us all. Stay tuned for more upcoming shenanigans.

Sometimes I fantasize about getting another software job because mine is so frustrating. Then I read stuff like this and realize it wouldn't matter. :(

BajaOklahoma
1/10/2007, 05:38 PM
Software.

If you didn't spend all of you time on SF, the project would have been completed in December. I'm just sayin'

Widescreen
1/10/2007, 06:23 PM
Don't you have students to medicate?