PDA

View Full Version : Buy-A-Friend System Strikes Again

FaninAma
1/10/2007, 10:53 AM
Other wise known as fraternities and sororities.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,242704,00.html

BTW, I thought OU was the redneck, hillbilly, homophobic school.

Just another example of UT's hypocrisy.

jk the sooner fan
1/10/2007, 10:57 AM
for what its worth....i've seen drunk army buddies passed out and painted up in the same manner.....i think its just what kids do, in and out of the "buy a friend" groups

FaninAma
1/10/2007, 11:10 AM
I have rarely seen or heard of kids encouraging other kids to drink themselves to death outside the fraternity system.

I understand the purpose of the military but what is the purpose of social fraternities?

And I don't think the military tries to portray themselves as the paragon of virtue and tolerance like the faculty, alumni, students and fans of UT do.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/10/2007, 11:22 AM
Never mind this was a frat, and after initiation...Does the fact that the guy died from alcohol poisoning change the fact?

I wonder if the lawyer was in a frat??? (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,242704,00.html)

Big news a while back in Houston, this will only fuel the fire. I remember doing stuff like this to drunk/passed out guys in "my day"...I seem to remember something like this in a movie or on TV.

Frozen Sooner
1/10/2007, 11:39 AM
There but for th grace of God...

TheHumanAlphabet
1/10/2007, 11:42 AM
Uhmmm, there is also another thread. I missed it...

TheHumanAlphabet
1/10/2007, 11:43 AM
You beat me by about an hour...

Is this reprehensible???

Never mind this was a frat, and after initiation...Does the fact that the guy died from alcohol poisoning change the fact?

I wonder if the lawyer was in a frat??? (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,242704,00.html)

Big news a while back in Houston, this will only fuel the fire. I remember doing stuff like this to drunk/passed out guys in "my day"...I seem to remember something like this in a movie or on TV.

jk the sooner fan
1/10/2007, 11:44 AM
do you honestly think that when 19-20 year olds are getting drunk, they are doing so with the intent to end their life? while tragic, most of those are accidental

and do you really think that those same kids are keeping in mind the virtue and tolerance that the university may be preaching?

how is OU any different? or any school for that matter

there are clubs and fraternities all thruout life......most of them involve some sort of fee, and friendship is a benefit to membership......so whats the big deal?

kids get drunk and do stupid crap....

and i would submit to you that the military, as an organization, VERY MUCH preaches values and morals....i know first hand.....but that doesnt mean when all the grownups have gone home for the day, that the kids in the barracks arent acting like drunk idiots

fadada1
1/10/2007, 11:44 AM
i was a RUF/NEK back when i was at OU. regardless of what someof you may think about the club, or perceptions of what goes on, i am proud to say that alcohol was NEVER, EVER a part of our pledgeship. NEVER!!!! our pledgeship was based on unity and brotherhood, not stupidity and impressing the members on how much we could drink. i'm proud to say that i earned my membership by learning those things relevant to the club and the university of oklahoma. did we drink at parties??? absolutely. but i had many friends in the club that DID NOT drink, and they were NEVER chastized because of it.

when i read these stories, i'm sad to think that, 1- a group thinks that in order to be included you, you have to survive drinking a deadly mixture of whatever happens to be in a bottle, and 2- that the dead individuals are dumb enough to think that this is the group of men/boys that they wish to be associated with just to get a piece of tail at a party.

jk the sooner fan
1/10/2007, 11:46 AM
edit - i was a GDI for the short time i was at OU......when we drank in groups, it wasnt much different than the frats.......we just didnt have the big private houses to do it in

TheHumanAlphabet
1/10/2007, 11:46 AM
i was a RUF/NEK back when i was at OU. regardless of what someof you may think about the club, or perceptions of what goes on, i am proud to say that alcohol was NEVER, EVER a part of our pledgeship. NEVER!!!! our pledgeship was based on unity and brotherhood, not stupidity and impressing the members on how much we could drink. i'm proud to say that i earned my membership by learning those things relevant to the club and the university of oklahoma. did we drink at parties??? absolutely. but i had many friends in the club that DID NOT drink, and they were NEVER chastized because of it.

when i read these stories, i'm sad to think that, 1- a group thinks that in order to be included you, you have to survive drinking a deadly mixture of whatever happens to be in a bottle, and 2- that the dead individuals are dumb enough to think that this is the group of men/boys that they wish to be associated with just to get a piece of tail at a party.

Nope, but how about Limburger cheese, shaving on campus corner with concrete honed razor, shaving cream with alcohol/mouthwash/crap in it...;) There's your unity there!!!;)

But I agree with you on the alcohol...Just liquid encouragement to do stupid/dumb things. As if we need to be encouraged...

fadada1
1/10/2007, 11:50 AM
Nope, but how about Limburger cheese, shaving on campus corner with concrete honed razor, shaving cream with alcohol/mouthwash/crap in it...;) There's your unity there!!!;)

But I agree with you on the alcohol...Just liquid encouragement to do stupid/dumb things. As if we need to be encouraged...
what's yer point???:D :D :D

i didn't say that teaching unity was clean and smelled like roses.;)

Frozen Sooner
1/10/2007, 11:51 AM
Nobody was ever forced to drink, but I participated in numerous shamings of people who couldn't hold their liquor.

Widescreen
1/10/2007, 11:53 AM
I had a couple of fraternity brothers who managed to go all the way through college without drinking even so much as a beer. It can be done.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/10/2007, 11:53 AM
What I don't get is the high and mighty response? Have these people never been to college or have they forgotten how they acted? If there is a group of kids, there will be alcohol. It slays me that the schools get all pretenious and stuff. Most of that is to deflect lawsuits... Its part of the right of growing up...get drunk, get scribbled on, have big hang-overs, do stupid stuff. I was just fortunate not to have a serious injury or die, I just have a 3 inch scar over my eye and was stitched up without anesthesia by the Goddard doc on duty. Unfortunately - some do.

P.S. - I remember clearly the doc saying to the nurse, "This boy won't need anesthesia." I must have been coming out of the drunken fog then...

OH this happened at a Pride Band party - so not frat involved here ('cept KKPsi ;) ) only Iowa State :D

jk the sooner fan
1/10/2007, 11:56 AM
i had twelve 18 year olds working for me when i was in honduras.......the things those guys did to each other when they were drunk......i wish i had some of the pictures, funny as hell

fadada1
1/10/2007, 11:57 AM
Nobody was ever forced to drink, but I participated in numerous shamings of people who couldn't hold their liquor.
too many stories....:D

sad thing is, they never learn.

Frozen Sooner
1/10/2007, 11:57 AM
It's not buying a friend. When you stop paying, they go away. More like renting.

:rolleyes:

And for what it's worth (and I have no idea if this is still the case) when I was at OU, living in the fraternity house and paying dues was less expensive than renting an apartment.

C&CDean
1/10/2007, 12:02 PM
I managed to cop a couple degrees without even knowing what a "frat" or "sorority" was. After I learned more about the whole "greek" stupidity, I'm very happy that I didn't know about them.

I simply don't see the point. And when I watch grown ups who still do "greek" stuff, it just seems so silly.

Widescreen
1/10/2007, 12:11 PM
I managed to cop a couple degrees without even knowing what a "frat" or "sorority" was. After I learned more about the whole "greek" stupidity, I'm very happy that I didn't know about them.
For me, it was a built-in set of friends from day 1. Plus there were always girls hanging around the house 24 hours a day. :)

I simply don't see the point. And when I watch grown ups who still do "greek" stuff, it just seems so silly.
I agree. I see 30+ year olds that are district presidents and stuff. These people need a life. Seriously.

Mongo
1/10/2007, 12:13 PM

Then you missed out on the Greek Games for a chance to win the head spot on the Greek Council.

slickdawg
1/10/2007, 12:24 PM

Seconded.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/10/2007, 12:26 PM
Wholehearted agreement on one issue---TEXAS SUCKS!

FaninAma
1/10/2007, 01:22 PM
Why pledge a social fraternity instead of a service fraternity? The motives for wanting to be in a social fraternity are beyond weak and superficial.

Not only will my daughters not pledge a social sorority they will not be allowed to date any social Greek Geeks at risk of losing their tuition support. Am I mean? I suppose. But social fraternities and soririties seem to be about the most ignorant, massive waste of time and money any human being could have conceived.

Czar Soonerov
1/10/2007, 01:29 PM
http://www.drunkfriends.com/photos/thumbnails.php?album=1

jk the sooner fan
1/10/2007, 01:29 PM
i'm not sure "mean" is the word i'd use

Sooner_Bob
1/10/2007, 01:44 PM
:pop:

TheHumanAlphabet
1/10/2007, 01:48 PM
Why pledge a social fraternity instead of a service fraternity? The motives for wanting to be in a social fraternity are beyond weak and superficial.

Not only will my daughters not pledge a social sorority they will not be allowed to date any social Greek Geeks at risk of losing their tuition support. Am I mean? I suppose. But social fraternities and soririties seem to be about the most ignorant, massive waste of time and money any human being could have conceived.

Dang, you're hard core Gamma Delta Iota!!!

Hilarity in school when people were wearing GDI shirts...

Frozen Sooner
1/10/2007, 01:51 PM

FaninAma
1/10/2007, 02:15 PM

:cool:

C&CDean
1/10/2007, 02:34 PM

Alright frat boy. I'm gonna have to call you out now. Twice you've rolled your eyes at something that was anti-greek. Just because you were stupid enough to join one and get your geeky greek freak on, please do not insult those of us who were/are smart enough not to.

I'm just glad when my oldest went to college and I asked "what about joining a fraternity son?" he said "dad, I'm not a fag, and I really don't want people laughing at me all the time."

You joined one. Others find them repulsive. Please stop trying to act like folks who think they're complete and utter wastes of time/money are the stupid ones here.

Thank you. And go find a ****ing job ya' lazy bum.

Frozen Sooner
1/10/2007, 02:43 PM
Dean, just to be sure, haven't you shared before that you were a drug addict in your late teens/early 20s? Maybe I have you confused with someone else.

I roll my eyes because that's all the response it deserves. Yeah, personally, I think that people who just rant and rant about greeks are the dumb ones. Fine, you don't like greeks. Personally, I thought Chess and Debate club were for dorks-but you don't see me still obsessing over it a decade after graduation.

Maybe you and Fanin should move on in your lives from hating people just because they chose to join a club that didn't interest you.

jk the sooner fan
1/10/2007, 02:45 PM
Dean - if you're so anti-greek, why would you even bother to ask your boy if he wanted to join one?

doesnt make sense to me

sanantoniosooner
1/10/2007, 02:50 PM
UTSA was the 4th university in the US to have a gay fraternity.

I was surprised. I thought the all were.

JohnnyMack
1/10/2007, 02:55 PM
Wanna join a frat? Fine by me.

Don't wanna join a frat? Fine by me.

There are positives and negatives about that lifestyle, just like being a GDI.

C&CDean
1/10/2007, 02:55 PM
Froze,

I don't hate you because you joined a frat. I hate frats, and I think you were dumb to join one. Yes, I was a major doper in my youth. I was dumb to do that. The difference is you still think being a dumbass when you were young is righteous, whereas I think it's just dumb.

jk,

It's not that I'm anti-greek at all. Like I said, I had no opinion or even knowledge of "greek" the whole time I went to school. Granted I was in my late 20's when I started, and 40 when I got my Master's. Every thing I know about "greek" has come much later in life. I'm simply astounded when I see the ignorance going on over there on Chautauqua/Lindsey/Elm/Asp. And I'm more astounded that parents who were in one seem to always encourage their kids to join one. I was a doper. I do NOT encourage my kids to be a doper.

And I didn't ask him if he wanted to join one. I asked him what he thought about joining one.

jk the sooner fan
1/10/2007, 02:59 PM
i dont care either way about them.....i wasnt in one, but my dad was, and so was jk2 for a short time.....there are some positives, as well as negatives

i dont know of any parent that can micro manage their kids college life like fan plans to do with his daughters.......nor why would you want too? college is supposed to be about finding yourself, learning, etc etc.....

create a situation where they'll sneak around behind your back and you'll get exactly what you're asking for!

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/10/2007, 03:00 PM

This comes off as incredibly ignorant.

Do You Know These Sorority Women??

TV ANCHORS

Joan Lunden - Good Morning America
http://www.tdl.com/%7Esorority/bullet.gifKatie Couric - Today Show
http://www.tdl.com/%7Esorority/bullet.gifCatherine Crier - CNN
http://www.tdl.com/%7Esorority/bullet.gifJane Pauley - Dateline NBC
http://www.tdl.com/%7Esorority/bullet.gifFaith Daniels - Today Show
http://www.tdl.com/%7Esorority/bullet.gifDiane Dwyer-Channel 2
http://www.tdl.com/%7Esorority/bullet.gifTerry Murphy - Hard Copy
ASTRONAUTS

Dr.Jan Davis-Endeavor
Dr. Mary Ellen Weber-Discovery
Dr. Rhea Seddon-Discovery AUTHORS

Harper Lee - To Kill A Mockingbird
Gail Sheehy - Passages
Joan Ganz-Cooney - Sesame Street
Joan Didion - White Album
Gia Ingolia-Lion King
ARTISTS

Margaret Bourke-White -Photographer
Georgia O'Keefe - Painter
Marilyn Horn - Opera Singer
Sheryl Crow - Rock & Roll Star ENTERTAINERS

Faye Dunaway
Cloris Leachman
Ann Margaret
Eva Marie Saint
Joanne Woodward
Christie Brinkley
Kirstie Alley
Christine Lahti
Julia Sweeney
Sherry Ramsey
Lu Parker
Candice Bergen
Sarah Jessica Parker
Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Marlo Thomas
Donna Mills
Gloria Loring POLITICIANS
Ruth Ginsburg - Supreme Court Justice
Dr. Condoleezza Rice - National Security Council
Nancy Ostrander - Ambassador
Barbara Boxer - Senator
Pat Schroeder - Senator
Margaret Chase Smith - Senator
Andrea Seastrand - House of Representatives

Did you know that...

52% of the US Senate and 33% of the House of Representatives are fraternity and sorority members.
The first female Senator and the first woman Astronaut were both sorority women.
Fraternity and sorority members are 28% more likely to stay in college than other studends.
Fraternity and sorority members are more financially successful than other sollege graduates.
Fraternity and sorority members give more to their alma maters.
Fraternity and sorority members participate more in extra curricular camput activities.

Fraternity men make up only 2% of the population.
Approximately 85% of the top executives in Fortune 500 are fraternity men.
71% of men listed in Who's Who in America are fraternity men.
76% of the current United States Senators and Congressmen are fraternity men.
40 of the 47 Supreme Court Justices since 1910 have been fraternity men.
100 of the 158 cabinet members since 1900 have been fraternity men.
All but 3 United States Presidents since 1825 have been fraternity men.
Celebrities:
Bob Barker - Sigma Nu
Warren Beatty - Sigma Chi
Harrison Ford - Sigma Nu
Bob Hope - Phi Kappa Theta
Ted koppel - Pi Kappa alpha
David Letterman - Sigma Chi
Vincent Price - Alpha Sigma Phi
Robert Redford - Kappa Sigma
Burt Reinolds - Phi Delta Theta
Bill Bixby - Phi Delta Theta
Johnny Carson - Phi Gamma Delta
Sam Donaldson - Kappa Sigma
Dan Dierdorf - Kappa Sigma
Brett Radmin - Sigma Alpha Epsilon
Dick Clark - Delta Kappa Epsilon
Kevin Costner - Delta Chi
David Hartman - Sigma Chi
Jeff Klein - Tau Kappa Epsilon
Hank Ketchman - Phi Delta Theta
Eugene Cernan - Phi Gamma Delta
Hale Irwin - Phi Gamma Delta
Bob Mathias - Phi Gamma Delta
Jack Nicklaus - Phi Gamma Delta
Norman Vincent Peale - Phi Gamma Delta
Roger Penske - Phi Gamma Delta
Langston Hughes-Omega Psi Phi
Tom Bradley-Kappa Alpha Psi
James Dean-Sigma Nu
Bill Cosby-Omega Psi Phi
James Weldon Johnson-Phi Beta Sigma
Huey P. Newton-Phi Beta Sigma
Spencer Christian-Iota Phi Theta
Calvin Murphy-Iota Phi Theta
Jerry Springer - TEP
David Spade - SAE
Sam Elliot - SAE
Phil Jackson - SAE
Dennis Haskins (Mr. Belding)- Kappa Sigma
Elliott Ness - SAE
William McKinley - SAE
Doug Brien - SAE
Ed McCaffrey - SAE
Willie Nelson - TKE
Merv Griffin - TKE
Danny Thomas - TKE
Les Paul - TKE
Lawrence Welk - TKE
Edward Droste (founder of Hooters) - TKE
Bobby Rahal - Phi Gamma Delta
John Ritter - Phi Gamma Delta
Orville Redenbacker - Alpha Gamma Rho
McLean Stevenson - Phi Gamma Delta
Payne Stewart - Phi Gamma Delta
Paige McConnel (from Phish) - KA
Randolph Scott (Actor) - KA
Bill Engvall (Comedian) - KA
Charlie Rose (TV Host) - KA
Jim Levi - Alpha Epsilon Pi
John Tesh - Lambda Chi Alpha
Scott Wolf - Alpha Epsilon pi
Andy Rooney - Sigma Chi
Willard Scott - Alpha Sigma Chi
Tom Selleck - Sigma Chi
Stephen Spielberg - Theta Chi
Alan Thicke - Delta Upsilon
Mike Wallace - Zeta Beta Tau
John Wayne - Sigma Chi
James Woods - Theta Delta Chi
Frank Gifford - Phi Sigma Kappa
Don Knotts - Phi Sigma Kappa
Cheech (Cheech & Chong)- Phi Sigma Kappa
Drew Carey - Delta Tau Delta
Matthew McConaghey - Delta Tau Delta Writers and Musicians:
Dr. Seuss - Sigma phi Epsilon
Elvis Presley - Tau kappa Epsilon
Jimmy Buffet - Kappa Sigma
Everly Brothers - Tau Kappa Epsilon
William Faulkner - Sigma Alpha Epsilon
Robert Frost - Theta Delta Chi
Paul Simon - Alpha Epsilon Phi
Les Paul - Tau Kappa Epsilon
E.B. White - Phi Gamma Delta
Tennessee Williams - Alpha tau Omega
Bette Midler-Delta Phi Epsilon
Jon Stewart - Pi Kappa Alpha
Rick Dees - Pi Kappa Alpha
Paul Newman - Phi Kappa Tau
Andrew Young - Alpha Phi Alpha
W.E.B. DuBois - Alpha Phi Alpha
Dr. George Washington Carver - Phi Beta Sigma
Boyd Tysley (violinist for Dave Mathews Band) - Sigma Nu
Elvin Hayes - Iota Phi Theta Politicians:
WWII General George S. Patton - KA
WWII General George C. Marshal - KA
President Calvin Coolidge - Phi Gamma Delta
Sen. Bob Kerrey - Phi Gamma Delta
Al D'Amato - Alpha Chi Rho
Horace Grant - Pi Kappa Alpha
Storm Thurmond - Pi Kappa Alpha
Ronald Reagan - Tau Kappa Epsilon
Harry Rimm - Pi Kappa Alpha
Jack F. Kemp - Alpha Tau Omega
James W. Marshall - Alpha Tau Omega
George Bush - Delta Kappa Epsilon
Robert Dole - Kappa Sigma
Harry Truman - Lambda Chi Alpha
Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. - Alpha Phi Alpha
Hon. Thurgood Marshall - Alpha Phi Alpha
Rev. Jessie Jackson, Sr. - Omega Psi Phi
Trent Lot (congressman) - Sigma Nu
Nelson Mandela - Phi Beta Sigma
Bob Graham (Senator) - Sigma Nu Athletes & Miscellaneous:
Steve (The bouncer from the Jerry Springer Show) - Pi Kappa Alpha
Pat Riley - Sigma Nu
Ben Crenshaw (Golfer) - KA
Terry Bradshaw - TKE
Marv Levy - TKE
Phil Simms - TKE
Oscar Meyer - Alpha Chi Rho
Neil Armstrong - Phi delta theta
Joe Allen - Beta theta Pi
Jesse Owens - Alpha Phi Alpha
Arthur Ashe - Kappa Alpha Psi
Wilt Chamberlain - Kappa Alpha Psi
Oscar Robertson - Kappa Alpha Psi
Michael Jordan - Omega Psi Phi
Jerry Rice - Phi Beta Sigma
Emmitt Smith - Phi Beta Sigma
Brad Culpepper - Sigma Nu
Karl Malone - Phi Beta Sigma
Dr. Benjamin Hooks - Omega Psi Phi
Dr. Charles Drew - Omega Psi Phi
John Elway - Delta Tau Delta

C&CDean
1/10/2007, 03:01 PM
I don't know dude. It'd be pretty hard for a kid to sneak around behind her daddy's back and join a sorority. Unless she has a lot of $$ in her piggy bank.

C&CDean
1/10/2007, 03:02 PM
Gandalf,

How much time did you spend compiling that?

And I wonder what kind of list I could come up with for "People who got high when they were young."

Weak. Sauce.

jk the sooner fan
1/10/2007, 03:03 PM
i was talking about dating a frat boy

JohnnyMack
I hate frats, and I think you were dumb to join one.

:confused:

It's not that I'm anti-greek at all.

C&CDean
i was talking about dating a frat boy

Yeah, that one's gonna be a little tougher to control...like I've always said, thank God I only have sons.

Frozen Sooner
1/10/2007, 03:04 PM
Dean, the reason I asked you wasn't to condemn you. The reason I asked is because it would seem to me that joining a fraternity is a much more positive activity for an 18-22 year old than being a doper.

I had a great time in my fraternity. I met some people that I hang out with to this day. Do some people take it way too far? Sure. Are there a lot of chuckleheads? Sure. Then again, I found that 18-22 year olds are pretty much chuckleheads who take things too far to begin with. If I had a son, I'd probably tell him to wait until sophomore year, find a fraternity full of guys he likes hanging out with, then join that one instead of going through rush. If he decided he didn't want to join, more power to him.

I guess I'm just astounded at why you think they're such a negative, dumb thing to do. I was never hazed, I was never forced to drink, nothing. I did get to live in a pretty nice crib with 30-40 friends and have really low rent. It also expanded my circle of friends-sure, I had friends before I joined, but it was an awesome way to meet new people. I fail to see what's so negative about that where you'd have to tell your kid there's no way he's joining one.

C&CDean
1/10/2007, 03:04 PM
:confused:

You know I like Greek. I whisper it in your ear when I'm giving you greek.

JohnnyMack
1/10/2007, 03:08 PM
You know I like Greek. I whisper it in your ear when I'm giving you greek.

:les:Those aren't olives!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

C&CDean
1/10/2007, 03:11 PM
Dean, the reason I asked you wasn't to condemn you. The reason I asked is because it would seem to me that joining a fraternity is a much more positive activity for an 18-22 year old than being a doper.

I had a great time in my fraternity. I met some people that I hang out with to this day. Do some people take it way too far? Sure. Are there a lot of chuckleheads? Sure. Then again, I found that 18-22 year olds are pretty much chuckleheads who take things too far to begin with.

I guess I'm just astounded at why you think they're such a negative, dumb thing to do. I was never hazed, I was never forced to drink, nothing. I did get to live in a pretty nice crib with 30-40 friends and have really low rent. It also expanded my circle of friends-sure, I had friends before I joined, but it was an awesome way to meet new people. I fail to see what's so negative about that where you'd have to tell your kid there's no way he's joining one.

In a nutshell Froze, I believe college is where you go to learn. Let's take the average frat boy or sorority girl. What is their primary focus while attending school? That's right, the next party. I had some of them in my classes, and they couldn't give a **** less about school. I'm also a very independent thinker/person. Having 30-40 dickweeds living with me ain't my idea of a good time.

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/10/2007, 03:17 PM
The point being that just maybe they aren't "But social fraternities and soririties seem to be about the most ignorant, massive waste of time and money any human being could have conceived." Fraternities are just like anything else. They are great for some people, and they are bad for some people. The fact that 28% more frat and sorority students are more likely to stay in school, speaks to the fact that there is some evidence that sororities and fraternities can be beneficial. To be fair, I don't have a horse in this fight, I am not in a fraternity, but I am a RUF/NEK. I am just saying that saying you won't allow your daughter to date a frat guy, could be denying her a Ronald Reagan, Martin Luther King, and the long line of men that have had courage and leadership that has shaped everyone of our lives. Everytime you use bleach, metal polish, paper, plastic, glue for postage stamps, printer's ink, plant milk, cooking oils, flour, instant coffee, mayonnaise, meat tenderizer, cheese, dyes, shaving cream, shoe polish, synthetic rubber, talcum powder, wood stains, varnish, soap, vinegar and cooking sauces, remember a fraternity guy brought us those things (George Washington Carver, one of my bosses idolized him :P)

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/10/2007, 03:22 PM
P.S. I know he didn't invent some of those things but did make it more economically simple for farmers to use and just generally improving shoddy originals.

C&CDean
1/10/2007, 03:23 PM
The point being that just maybe they aren't "But social fraternities and soririties seem to be about the most ignorant, massive waste of time and money any human being could have conceived." Fraternities are just like anything else. They are great for some people, and they are bad for some people. The fact that 28% more frat and sorority students are more likely to stay in school, speaks to the fact that there is some evidence that sororities and fraternities can be beneficial. To be fair, I don't have a horse in this fight, I am not in a fraternity, but I am a RUF/NEK. I am just saying that saying you won't allow your daughter to date a frat guy, could be denying her a Ronald Reagan, Martin Luther King, and the long line of men that have had courage and leadership that has shaped everyone of our lives. Everytime you use bleach, metal polish, paper, plastic, glue for postage stamps, printer's ink, plant milk, cooking oils, flour, instant coffee, mayonnaise, meat tenderizer, cheese, dyes, shaving cream, shoe polish, synthetic rubber, talcum powder, wood stains, varnish, soap, vinegar and cooking sauces, remember a fraternity guy brought us those things (George Washington Carver, one of my bosses idolized him :P)

And for every George Washington Carver there's a couple thousands Blutos (or whatever the hell Belushi's character's name was on Animal House).

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/10/2007, 03:27 PM
Obviously that is true, seeing as 28% are more likely to stay in school. Those regular non sorority and frat kids must be REALLY ignorant

IB4OU2
1/10/2007, 03:28 PM
Froze,

I don't hate you because you joined a frat. I hate frats, and I think you were dumb to join one. Yes, I was a major doper in my youth. I was dumb to do that. The difference is you still think being a dumbass when you were young is righteous, whereas I think it's just dumb.

jk,

It's not that I'm anti-greek at all. Like I said, I had no opinion or even knowledge of "greek" the whole time I went to school. Granted I was in my late 20's when I started, and 40 when I got my Master's. Every thing I know about "greek" has come much later in life. I'm simply astounded when I see the ignorance going on over there on Chautauqua/Lindsey/Elm/Asp. And I'm more astounded that parents who were in one seem to always encourage their kids to join one. I was a doper. I do NOT encourage my kids to be a doper.

And I didn't ask him if he wanted to join one. I asked him what he thought about joining one.

I lived around that idiocy in Norman all my young life and never wanted to join one even though I was asked by several friends to pledge when I started at OU. I wanted to be a doper....;)

C&CDean
1/10/2007, 03:29 PM
Obviously that is true, seeing as 28% are more likely to stay in school. Those regular non sorority and frat kids must be REALLY ignorant

Just a friendly tip - staying in school does not = being smart. I'm surrounded by degreed people who couldn't think their way out of a burlap sack.

C&CDean
1/10/2007, 03:30 PM
I lived around that idiocy in Norman all my young life and never wanted to join one even though I was asked by several friends to pledge when I started at OU. I wanted to be a doper....;)

****in' A!! Let's all get high!

Frozen Sooner
1/10/2007, 03:30 PM
In a nutshell Froze, I believe college is where you go to learn. Let's take the average frat boy or sorority girl. What is their primary focus while attending school? That's right, the next party. I had some of them in my classes, and they couldn't give a **** less about school. I'm also a very independent thinker/person. Having 30-40 dickweeds living with me ain't my idea of a good time.

What's the primary focus of most 18 year olds while attending school? That's right, the next party.

Yeah, there were a lot of them that couldn't give a **** about school. SOME of them took the mandatory study hall the fraternity set up for pledges and developed some good study habits that helped them refocus. Others flunked out. Personally, as a fraternity guy, I preferred to take the academically-focused pledges who would stick around for four years instead of flunking out their first semeseter. For the record: every member of my pledge class graduated within a semester of four years. Most of them have graduate degrees. A couple were summa cum laude.

Having 30-40 dickweeds living with you isn't anyone's idea of a good time. That's one of the reasons living in the house was a much better option than living in the dorms. Yeah, there's a couple instances where some guys were *******s while living in the house-and we kicked them the hell out.

I ain't for everybody, Dean, and I wouldn't think of condemning someone who chose not to-particularly someone who went to college in their late 20s. There's a very narrow window of time where being in a fraternity is positive-outside of that, it's just a creepy dude hitting on college girls. I just wish some of you guys who didn't join would spend less time bellyaching about the people who did.

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/10/2007, 03:33 PM
True but to imply for every Ronald Reagan there is 10 thousand Bluto's seems awfully exaggerating.... It's hard for me to say they are useless when my most successful friends are Greeks and actually credit their houses for helping them get where they are.

C&CDean
1/10/2007, 03:33 PM
C'mon Froze, we don't bellyache all that much.

And it ain't really the kids' fault anyhow. It's the system's. Kids oughta go from high school to the military. 4 years to grow up a little, then they can pick where/what they wanna go to school for. An 18-year old kid is barely capable of sustaining his own pathetic existence - let alone choose a career field and study/work hard when he's surrounded by hundreds of other 18-year old ignoramouses.

C&CDean
1/10/2007, 03:35 PM
True but to imply for every Ronald Reagan there is 10 thousand Bluto's seems awfully exaggerating.... It's hard for me to say they are useless when my most successful friends are Greeks and actually credit their houses for helping them get where they are.

Really? My only Greek friends are Larry Grafanakis and the folks who own the Greek House.

I'm very successful. Only I credit my mom and pop for my success.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/10/2007, 03:39 PM
This comes off as incredibly ignorant.

Do You Know These Sorority Women??

POLITICIANS

Ruth Ginsburg - Supreme Court Justice

Definitely not a Tri-Delt...

FaninAma
I am just saying that saying you won't allow your daughter to date a frat guy, could be denying her a Ronald Reagan, Martin Luther King, and the long line of men that have had courage and leadership that has shaped everyone of our lives.

I agree with Gandalf's assessment.

Both of my daughters are pretty level-headed and I doubt it would ever be an issue because I doubt that the superficial frat type would ever appeal to either of them.

Hatfield
dean anti-fun....shocker. :)

do indict the whole frat scene on some preconceived old person perspectives is a tad silly.

Frats teach you a lot about tolerance and dealing with those you would otherwise not deal with.

and for the record you aren't buying your friends....you are just chipping into the kitty to have kick *** parties.

Frozen Sooner
1/10/2007, 03:42 PM
C'mon Froze, we don't bellyache all that much.

And it ain't really the kids' fault anyhow. It's the system's. Kids oughta go from high school to the military. 4 years to grow up a little, then they can pick where/what they wanna go to school for. An 18-year old kid is barely capable of sustaining his own pathetic existence - let alone choose a career field and study/work hard when he's surrounded by hundreds of other 18-year old ignoramouses.

I'd probably agree with that. Or some field of public service.

And that really goes to the best reason for fraternities and sororities to exist when done correctly. They provide some structure and mentoring for kids out of the house for the first time.

Vaevictis
1/10/2007, 03:44 PM
In a nutshell Froze, I believe college is where you go to learn.

Unfortunately, that's not why most 18-20 year olds go to college these days. They go because it's what their parents (and everyone else) expect them to do.

From my experience, I think that the rush to shove high school graduates directly into college is a terrifically bone-headed and expensive proposition for most middle class parents -- only about half of all students graduate. If you put a five year time limit on it, it drops to 40%.

That suggests that about 60% of all college students drop out at one point or another.

There's just waaaay too much pressure to shove kids into college these days.

C&CDean
1/10/2007, 03:44 PM
dean anti-fun....shocker. :)

do indict the whole frat scene on some preconceived old person perspectives is a tad silly.

Frats teach you a lot about tolerance and dealing with those you would otherwise not deal with.

and for the record you aren't buying your friends....you are just chipping into the kitty to have kick *** parties.

anti-fun? I'm a fun loving sumbitch. kickass parties? It's just that drinking trash can punch till you're puking so hard you find something hairy in your mouth - and have to swallow so you don't vomit out your ******* - and having your buddies dangle their hairless nutsacks over your head and paint dicks on your face ain't really my idea of a good time.

And the whole "tolerance" thing is making me chuckle. I have to tolerate you nimrods. The South Oval teaches me more than any frat joint could think about.

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/10/2007, 03:47 PM
I don't disagree on the military or at the very least make them work at a job outside where they are working 60 hours a week in rainy or 110 degree heat. The thing is that when you are 18 years old, it doesn't matter if you are greek or whatever, you are going to make LOTS of mistakes. I would think teaching your daughters to be safe and date a guy that respects her would be MUCH more important than what meetings he goes to in his free time. Most frat guys aren't really that involved with their frats after maybe 2 years, it gets boring do the same old thing with the same old people. In real life you hardly ever see these Bluto and Van Wilder types that are lifetime frat members. Another thing, is the drinking and hedonistic ones are usually drop outs pretty quick. I am just saying if your daughter meets a graduating lawyer or doctor who just happened to pledge a frat 5 or 6 years ago, are you going to ax him for that. Also another small thing, Perverts aren't limited to frats, I have tons of drunk *** hedonistic friends that never were Greek

Hatfield
1/10/2007, 03:48 PM
anti-fun? I'm a fun loving sumbitch. kickass parties? It's just that drinking trash can punch till you're puking so hard you find something hairy in your mouth - and have to swallow so you don't vomit out your ******* - and having your buddies dangle their hairless nutsacks over your head and paint dicks on your face ain't really my idea of a good time.

And the whole "tolerance" thing is making me chuckle. I have to tolerate you nimrods. The South Oval teaches me more than any frat joint could think about.

ima just saying it ain't fair to judge the kids through your old cataract ridden eyes is all.

Beef
1/10/2007, 03:58 PM
The 3 months I was a pledge before my fraternity got kicked off campus were some of the best times of my life.

jk the sooner fan
1/10/2007, 06:43 PM
I agree with Gandalf's assessment.

Both of my daughters are pretty level-headed and I doubt it would ever be an issue because I doubt that the superficial frat type would ever appeal to either of them.

i doubt my son would be interested in your girls anyway...

1stTimeCaller
1/10/2007, 06:46 PM
SF.com isn't too far off from being a fraternity. All we need is a place for all of us to live and you wouldn't be able to tell SF.com apart from Delta Iota Kappa.

sooner_born_1960
1/10/2007, 07:01 PM
There but for th grace of God...
Huh? I thought you were atheist, or agnostic, or something.

Frozen Sooner
1/10/2007, 07:06 PM
Huh? I thought you were atheist, or agnostic, or something.

I'm an agnostic. It's a turn of phrase indicating that I'm rather lucky that I never wound up having to defend myself from charges of this sort. It isn't meant to convey any actual belief in God.

sooner_born_1960
1/10/2007, 07:42 PM
I'm an agnostic. It's a turn of phrase indicating that I'm rather lucky that I never wound up having to defend myself from charges of this sort. It isn't meant to convey any actual belief in God.
Yeah, right. There are no atheists or agnostics in a foxhole.

LilSooner
1/10/2007, 07:43 PM
Hi my name is Lilsooner and I am a Gamma Phi Beta class of 99. Apparently, I am a dumb, slow, slut that couldn't find my way out of a paper sack. My mother should be ashamed of raising a woman who dared joined a social sorrority. Sororities are evil occults who help you get contact in which you might never get other wise. I am an evil woman who then used those contacts to then go on to work for 2 University of Oklahoma VP's. I must suck at life because I have a wonderful job will make 6 figures this year and by the end of the year have a wonderful husband.

I hate you all.

sooner_born_1960
1/10/2007, 07:46 PM
Pleased to meet you.

Frozen Sooner
1/10/2007, 07:48 PM
Yeah, right. There are no atheists or agnostics in a foxhole.

Pfft. You're almost as much an agnostic as I am. You just choose to disbelieve one fewer god than I do.

sooner_born_1960
1/10/2007, 07:49 PM
Pfft. You're almost as much an agnostic as I am. You just choose to disbelieve one fewer god than I do.
I'll have you know, I believe in many gods.

Frozen Sooner
1/10/2007, 07:49 PM
Hi my name is Lilsooner and I am a Gamma Phi Beta class of 99. Apparently, I am a dumb, slow, slut that couldn't find my way out of a paper sack. My mother should be ashamed of raising a woman who dared joined a social sorrority. Sororities are evil occults who help you get contact in which you might never get other wise. I am an evil woman who then used those contacts to then go on to work for 2 University of Oklahoma VP's. I must suck at life because I have a wonderful job will make 6 figures this year and by the end of the year have a wonderful husband.

I hate you all.

I liked Gamma Phis. GPBs when I was in school tended to be the girls who were a blast to hang out with.

Frozen Sooner
1/10/2007, 07:51 PM
I'll have you know, I believe in many gods.

I stand corrected.

I wonder how many would be shocked to know that I used to be born again.

yermom
1/10/2007, 07:53 PM

I hate you all.

yeah, but do you have a tramp stamp?

sooner_born_1960
1/10/2007, 07:53 PM
Hey, once saved, always saved.

LilSooner
1/10/2007, 07:58 PM
yeah, but do you have a tramp stamp?

Hell no! I have no stamps of any kind.

yermom
1/10/2007, 08:00 PM
heh

that's probably helped ;)

OK2LA
1/10/2007, 08:00 PM
The university suspended Lambda Phi Epsilon's status as a registered student organization until 2011.

They got kicked off campus for that?

sanantoniosooner
1/10/2007, 08:06 PM

I hate you all.
They say admitting it is the first step to recovery.

I'm verklempt. Talk amoungst yourselves.

OK2LA
1/10/2007, 08:19 PM
I was in a fraternity.

The reasons I joined:

I was rich, and I didn't have any friends to speak of, and I needed friends that were like me - shallow and RICH. Did I mention that I was rich? Our fraternity pretty much mirrored the cool football fraternity in Revenge of the Nerds. I am damn good looking also. All of my fraternity brothers are as well. We were the coolest guys on campus. We cheated on all of our tests, screwed all of the sorority girls, (didn't date a girl that wasn't in a sorority because they are all ugly and poor.) and were cool for just wearing those greek letters on our t-shirts. I am also gay. I know it's pretty much an oxymoron to be gay and to screw sorority girls, but hey - that's what "frat" guys are.

Did I miss something?

Oh. One thing - it sucks now, because all of my "friends" went away after I graduated, and I can't find any more, because in the real world - you can't buy friends. Damn I miss college and those "friends" of mine.

Signed:

Good Looking, gay, rich, shallow, cheater, faig fraternity guy.

yermom
1/10/2007, 08:21 PM
i'll bet you were ****ed when that nerd stole your girlfriend and you got stuck with Marcy on MWC

OK2LA
1/10/2007, 08:29 PM
i'll bet you were ****ed when that nerd stole your girlfriend and you got stuck with Marcy on MWC

I'm dating a really cool guy right now. He was also in a fraternity; he's brown & clean.

1stTimeCaller
1/10/2007, 08:32 PM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85812&highlight=buddy+iraq

Here are some pictures of one of those spoiled rich kids that's basically a leach on society.

Some of you people are silly.

sanantoniosooner
1/10/2007, 08:47 PM
greeks are touchy.

Frozen Sooner
1/10/2007, 08:49 PM
I'm dating a really cool guy right now. He was also in a fraternity; he's brown & clean.

Can I meet him? Mikey, I want to meet him!

I'm gonna make little Wayne's head bleed.

yermom
1/10/2007, 08:53 PM
you want to meet him?

i thought he was talking about you

OK2LA
1/10/2007, 08:54 PM
greeks are touchy.

The good ones are.

sanantoniosooner
1/10/2007, 08:55 PM
The good ones are.
hence the ghey reputation.

LilSooner
1/10/2007, 09:19 PM
Can I meet him? Mikey, I want to meet him!

I'm gonna make little Wayne's head bleed.

I'm gonna make Gretzky's head bleed for super fan 99 over here.

OK2LA
1/10/2007, 09:28 PM
hence the ghey reputation.

call a ghey a gay - come on - you're not 'fraid of us are you?

kissy kissy - smoochy smoochy -huggy huggy ;)

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/10/2007, 09:50 PM

I hate you all.

Yeah but for every LilSooner, there is 100000000 Paris Hiltons!

LilSooner
1/10/2007, 09:51 PM
Yeah but for every LilSooner, there is 100000000 Paris Hiltons!

Blech I hope she dies of parvo. Disgusting, vile yainch.

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/10/2007, 10:03 PM
So you don't support Sororities!!!!

LilSooner
1/10/2007, 10:07 PM
So you don't support Sororities!!!!

No, I do not support Paris Hilton and she was NEVER in a sorority. Unless you consider binge/purge a sorority.

Then yes, Paris Hilton the big dirty slut bag was in a sorority.

1stTimeCaller
1/10/2007, 10:08 PM
Am I the only one that thinks Paris Hilton is awesome and hopes to marry a girl just like her when I grow up?

royalfan5
1/10/2007, 10:09 PM
Am I the only one that thinks Paris Hilton is awesome and hopes to marry a girl just like her when I grow up?
God, I hope so.

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/10/2007, 10:11 PM
No, I do not support Paris Hilton and she was NEVER in a sorority. Unless you consider binge/purge a sorority.

Then yes, Paris Hilton the big dirty slut bag was in a sorority.

I don't think you get my implied mockery of certain close minded individuals ;)

LilSooner
1/10/2007, 10:14 PM
I don't think you get my implied mockery of certain close minded individuals ;)

WTF I'm close minded because I think Paris Hilton is a tramp and a plague on society?

Oh wait no I get it your comparing that tramp to sorority girls. Because you know were all alike. :rolleyes:

:pop:

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/10/2007, 10:17 PM
No, I am making fun of them because when I pointed out Martin Luther King, George Washington Carver, and Ronald Reagen were in fraternities, they immediatly said that yeah but for every Reagen there is 1000 Bluto's :P

LilSooner
1/10/2007, 10:20 PM
No, I am making fun of them because when I pointed out Martin Luther King, George Washington Carver, and Ronald Reagen were in fraternities, they immediatly said that yeah but for every Reagen there is 1000 Bluto's :P

Dude, I didn't read that post, there were FAR to many words. :D

LilSooner
1/10/2007, 10:21 PM
DAMN YOU SPEK!!!!!!!!! Sorry Gandalf apparently I can't tell you by spek that I know you what you were saying.

JohnnyMack
1/10/2007, 10:56 PM
the superficial frat type

It's blatant generalities such as those that really impede your efforts at making any sort of a rational point. You obviously disdain ANYONE associated with Greek life and have decided to lump them all into one generic group. My brother-in-law was in a house up at KState. He's about the most religious, humble, patient and benevolent human beings I've ever met. Superficial is the complete opposite word you should use when describing him. I on the other hand was a GDI at OU and can tell you I spent most of my time worrying about girls, getting drunk, and getting girls drunk. So thanks for your worthless broad generalization.

While I know for a fact there are a whole bunch of superficial toolsheds who are in houses, there are just as many good people. I'd say the cross-section closely mirrors the same percentage as the rest of the campus.

Mongo
1/10/2007, 11:35 PM
It's blatant generalities such as those that really impede your efforts at making any sort of a rational point. You obviously disdain ANYONE associated with Greek life and have decided to lump them all into one generic group. My brother-in-law was in a house up at KState. He's about the most religious, humble, patient and benevolent human beings I've ever met. Superficial is the complete opposite word you should use when describing him. I on the other hand was a GDI at OU and can tell you I spent most of my time worrying about girls, getting drunk, and getting girls drunk. So thanks for your worthless broad generalization.

While I know for a fact there are a whole bunch of superficial toolsheds who are in houses, there are just as many good people. I'd say the cross-section closely mirrors the same percentage as the rest of the campus.

Any frat boy worth his salt used rohypnol or ketamine to get with women:)

1stTimeCaller
1/10/2007, 11:36 PM
Any frat boy worth his salt used rohypnol or ketamine to get with women:)

Whatever, Lamar.

Mongo
1/10/2007, 11:37 PM
Whatever, Lamar.

Hey, I take offense to that. I am not black.

C&CDean
1/11/2007, 10:09 AM
So, from this thread we've deduced that:

-Greek people are very touchy about their youthful silliness and have a very strong need to defend that wasted part of their lives
-There are a few decent people who joined frats/sor
-Everyone agrees there were/are a whole plethora of greek ****bags
-Sir Mongoloid is not black
-Faninama's daughters are pretty much safe from the whole greek "experience"
-jk is gonna protect his son from Faninama's daughters
-Gandalf is trying to hit on Lil - like a good little greek is expected to do
-1TC wants to do Paris Hilton in the pooper
-People on both sides of the argument aren't gonna be swayed by the other side
-More wannabe greek kids are gonna party till they die
-Texas sucks
-People with various stupidity in their young life eventually still become successful

Did I miss anything?

jk the sooner fan
1/11/2007, 10:18 AM
jk's son (the superficial idiot) will be in baghdad serving his country, so unless fan's daughters are there, i think the "protection" is already built in

JohnnyMack
1/11/2007, 10:22 AM

-Greek people are very touchy about their youthful silliness and have a very strong need to defend that wasted part of their lives
-Texas sucks
-People with various stupidity in their young life eventually still become successful

Did I miss anything?

You're a stalker. We missed that.

Psycho.

C&CDean
1/11/2007, 10:23 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot:

-jk is still the most literal, sensitive poster on the board

C&CDean
1/11/2007, 10:23 AM
And:

-Johnny Mack desires my greekness

crawfish
1/11/2007, 10:25 AM

-Texas sucks

Did I miss anything?

LilSooner is Bruce? :eek:

jk the sooner fan
1/11/2007, 10:25 AM
eh, whatever....some are allowed to paint with a broad brush here, others, not so much

C&CDean
1/11/2007, 10:36 AM
eh, whatever....some are allowed to paint with a broad brush here, others, not so much

No, some folks allow themselves to be painted with the brush and feel any negative comment towards something they believe in or have a stake in is a personal attack against them or their family, others, not so much.

jk the sooner fan
1/11/2007, 10:36 AM
ok dean

C&CDean
1/11/2007, 10:38 AM
you're welcome

jk the sooner fan
1/11/2007, 10:39 AM
[cough cough]civil war thread[cough cough]

MamaMia
1/11/2007, 10:40 AM
My son was a nice boy when he joined a frat. He soon started to act all snobby and disrespectful like the two frat brat friends he picked up there. I don't know if the frat had anything to do with it though. Some of the young men in the frat were nice. It took him a while to learn that attitude didn't work with me and his father...at all.

C&CDean
1/11/2007, 10:45 AM
My son was a nice boy when he joined a frat. He soon started to act all snobby and disrespectful like the two frat brats friends he picked up there. I don't know if the frat had anything to do with it though. Some of the young men in the frat were nice. It took him a while to learn that attitude didn't work with me and his father...at all.

Well there you have it.

royalfan5
1/11/2007, 10:47 AM
My son was a nice boy when he joined a frat. He soon started to act all snobby and disrespectful like the two frat brats friends he picked up there. I don't know if the frat had anything to do with it though. Some of the young men in the frat were nice. It took him a while to learn that attitude didn't work with me and his father...at all.
If anything joining a frat improved my attitude and got me involved in more things on campus, which helped open more doors for me later.

C&CDean
1/11/2007, 10:53 AM
If anything joining a frat improved my attitude and got me involved in more things on campus, which helped open more doors for me later.

Dude, you joined a frat full of farm boys. That ain't quite the same as joining a frat full of rich, spoiled, bimmer-driving, gelled-down hair, no clue kids sucking mom and dad's rich tit.

FaninAma
1/11/2007, 11:02 AM
i doubt my son would be interested in your girls anyway...

He wouldn't be interested in my daughters specifically or he's not interested in girls in general?

royalfan5
1/11/2007, 11:13 AM
Dude, you joined a frat full of farm boys. That ain't quite the same as joining a frat full of rich, spoiled, bimmer-driving, gelled-down hair, no clue kids sucking mom and dad's rich tit.
I was the only farm boy in my frat until my cousin joined when I was a senior. My roomates were from Hawaii, Slidell, La, Birimingham, Alabama and Venutra California. It was different in the sense it was a local frat, so it was a ton cheaper, but it wasn't full of farm boys, but people from all over the United States, with a wide variety of interests. We had actors, football players, track guys, band folk, choir people, and guys that loved to party. It made me a much better person than just sticking to the familiar for 4 years of college.

MamaMia
1/11/2007, 11:24 AM
My son has some frat brothers who I just adore. One lost his mother about 7 years ago and he is like a nephew to me now, but most of them are snobby.

Frozen Sooner
1/11/2007, 11:29 AM

I totally hope you marry Paris Hilton. In fact, I want to be the best man at that ceremony.

I bet the bridesmaids would be slutty.

frankensooner
1/11/2007, 11:36 AM
I am a frat dood. I didn't fit in with a lot of the guys, but I did make some great friends. I was strictly in it for the girls, which paraded through the house quite frequently.

Beef
1/11/2007, 11:39 AM
He wouldn't be interested in my daughters specifically or he's not interested in girls in general?
:pop: :pop: :pop:

JohnnyMack
1/11/2007, 11:41 AM
:pop: :pop: :pop:

Scoot over.

jk the sooner fan
1/11/2007, 11:42 AM
no response coming, he's being stupid for the sport of it

FaninAma
1/11/2007, 11:44 AM
If your son or daughter wants to meet people and and associate with people they share something in common with they need to join a service organization.

My kids are wll aware of my belief that if you want to party you do it with your own dime. And if you can afford to party then you can afford to pay your own tuition and room and board.

JohnnyMack
1/11/2007, 11:45 AM
If your son or daughter wants to meet people and and associate with people they share something in common with they need to join a service organization.

My kids are wll aware of my belief that if you want to party you do it with your own dime. And if you can afford to party then you can afford to pay your own tuition and room and board.

Thanks for the input on how to raise kids Dr. Spock.

C&CDean
1/11/2007, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the input on how to raise kids Dr. Spock.

Says the guy with one kid who still wears diapers.

Wait until your kid hits the teenage years. You're gonna face **** you never even remembered existing.

JohnnyMack
1/11/2007, 11:48 AM
Says the guy with one kid who still wears diapers.

Wait until your kid hits the teenage years. You're gonna face **** you never even remembered existing.

I know that. However I think I'll pass on taking parenting advice from someone who thinks like him.

FaninAma
1/11/2007, 11:48 AM
no response coming, he's being stupid for the sport of it

I do believe that technically this constitutes a response. I assume you're the type of person that can't resist getting the last word in and that when you run out of things to say you get personal. Did you learn those techniques of "discussion" in a fraternity?

Rhino
1/11/2007, 11:50 AM
Ladies and gentlemen, I'll be brief. The issue here is not whether we broke a few rules, or took a few liberties with our female party guests - we did.

But you can't hold a whole fraternity responsible for the behavior of a few, sick twisted individuals. For if you do, then shouldn't we blame the whole fraternity system? And if the whole fraternity system is guilty, then isn't this an indictment of our educational institutions in general? I put it to you - isn't this an indictment of our entire American society? Well, you can do whatever you want to us, but we're not going to sit here and listen to you badmouth the United States of America!

C&CDean
1/11/2007, 11:51 AM
I know that. However I think I'll pass on taking parenting advice from someone who thinks like him.

Dude, that's just plain stupid. Here's a guy who cares about his kids. He wants to protect them from the stupidity that goes down in frat/sorority houses. Do you protect your kids from things you find distasteful/bad? I sure as hell do.

C&CDean
1/11/2007, 11:53 AM
Ladies and gentlemen, I'll be brief. The issue here is not whether we broke a few rules, or took a few liberties with our female party guests - we did.

But you can't hold a whole fraternity responsible for the behavior of a few, sick twisted individuals. For if you do, then shouldn't we blame the whole fraternity system? And if the whole fraternity system is guilty, then isn't this an indictment of our educational institutions in general? I put it to you - isn't this an indictment of our entire American society? Well, you can do whatever you want to us, but we're not going to sit here and listen to you badmouth the United States of America!

Well since you put it that way, ****IN' A!!

Where do I join the Gimme Gimme Poon fraternity?

jk the sooner fan
1/11/2007, 11:56 AM
I do believe that technically this constitutes a response. I assume you're the type of person that can't resist getting the last word in and that when you run out of things to say you get personal. Did you learn those techniques of "discussion" in a fraternity?

you dont read well, i posted in this thread that i've never been in a fraternity

and your'e the one painting with the broad brush here

JohnnyMack
1/11/2007, 11:58 AM
Dude, that's just plain stupid. Here's a guy who cares about his kids. He wants to protect them from the stupidity that goes down in frat/sorority houses.

We all have opinions on things. While I appreciate his involvement in his kids life, I don't have to agree with every one of his choices now do I?

Both my brothers were in a house at OU and are very successful, upstanding members of their respective communities. I wasn't and well, look at me.

Fan's axe-to-grind is his business, but if his kids wanted to go Greek, I think they should.

Do you protect your kids from things you find distasteful/bad?

He hasn't come to see you yet. :pop:

FaninAma
1/11/2007, 11:58 AM

By the time your kid is old enough to go to college and tuition is about 10 times what it is now and the entrance requirements keep ratcheting up I have a suspicion that our "thinking" won't be too dissimiliar.

Personal question. Who paid your brothers tuition, room and board and frat dues?

JohnnyMack
1/11/2007, 12:00 PM
Personal question. Did you belong to a social frat and if you did who footed the bill for your college tuition, room and board and frat dues?

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1752839&postcount=107

And my school/books, etc. was a combination of me working and my Dad's checkbook.

Frozen Sooner
1/11/2007, 12:02 PM
By the time your kid is old enough to go to college and tuition is about 10 times what it is now and the entrance requirements keep ratcheting up I have a suspicion that our "thinking" won't be too dissimiliar.

Personal question. Who paid your brothers tuition, room and board and frat dues?

I ain't his brother, but I paid my own tuition, room, board, and fraternity dues with a large chunk of assistance from the Board of Regents.

And again, my dues+house bill were less than renting a decent apartment.

C&CDean
1/11/2007, 12:07 PM
I ain't his brother, but I paid my own tuition, room, board, and fraternity dues with a large chunk of assistance from the Board of Regents.

And again, my dues+house bill were less than renting a decent apartment.

I don't know. How is it that the only 3 responsible, self-reliant, and motivated fraternity members in the history of fraternities happen to post on SF.com? Is this place just that good?

frankensooner
1/11/2007, 12:23 PM
Yes it is. I would never encourage my kids to join a frat or sorority though. It is too big a distraction to the real purpose of college, that being getting an education and good grades.

Frozen Sooner
1/11/2007, 12:24 PM
Perhaps your assumptions need adjusting.

But I resent your lumping me into the group of responsible, self-reliant, and motivated people. :p

Seriously, Dean, the party-till-you-drop unmotivated idiots were really the minority in my personal experience. Generally you never know about the others because we didn't make a big deal about wearing greek letters, we didn't show up for class hung over, we didn't act like jackasses-so we didn't stand out for notice.

Beef
1/11/2007, 12:26 PM
I really was in Animal House, I guess.

FaninAma
1/11/2007, 01:17 PM
Perhaps your assumptions need adjusting.

But I resent your lumping me into the group of responsible, self-reliant, and motivated people. :p

Seriously, Dean, the party-till-you-drop unmotivated idiots were really the minority in my personal experience. Generally you never know about the others because we didn't make a big deal about wearing greek letters, we didn't show up for class hung over, we didn't act like jackasses-so we didn't stand out for notice.

What was the criteria for admission to your fraternity? Was everybody who applied accepted? What if they wanted to be a member but couldn't afford the dues?

Social frats are for people who need validation...even if they have to buy it.

Frozen Sooner
1/11/2007, 01:32 PM
What was the criteria for admission to your fraternity? Was everybody who applied accepted? What if they wanted to be a member but couldn't afford the dues?

Social frats are for people who need validation...even if they have to buy it.

You sure are a little bitch about whining about personal shots when you seem pretty free about handing them out. I guess I could counter with "Whining about fraternities is for people who didn't get bids and need validation." However, I don't need to make uninformed blanket statements.

Criteria for admission was vote of the general membership with at least 80% acceptance.

Not everyone who applied was accepted. It was pretty rare that someone who wanted to pledge was rejected, though. It was also pretty rare that someone who pledged was rejected for full membership later-those who wouldn't have made it end up depledging on their own before it comes to that point. In fact, I can only remember one kid who didn't get full membership without voluntarily depledging-and that was because he attempted to take liberties with someone's girlfriend.

If they wanted to be a member and couldn't afford dues, then they couldn't be a member-just like any other club in the world that has dues. If someone was already a member and fell on hard times, arrangements could be made for a need-based reduction of dues or alumni scholarships.

OK2LA
1/11/2007, 02:03 PM

-Texas sucks

Did I miss anything?

Yeah, you forgot - that anyone that wasn't in a fraternity wasn't good enough to get into one, and the people that are badmouthing it on this here thread were cut by a fraterntiy, and now forever jealous of our coolness that they will never be able to obtain in the free world.

Fraternities RULE! Yeah!

Frozen Sooner
1/11/2007, 02:15 PM
Yeah, you forgot - that anyone that wasn't in a fraternity wasn't good enough to get into one, and the people that are badmouthing it on this here thread were cut by a fraterntiy, and now forever jealous of our coolness that they will never be able to obtain in the free world.

Fraternities RULE! Yeah!

When the hell is your brother going to join the board? That dude was hilarious.

OK2LA
1/11/2007, 02:30 PM
When the hell is your brother going to join the board? That dude was hilarious.

He feels it's a trap, and that you all will ridicule him for going to school up north.:D

"strawboy" says to say hello to everyone.

yermom
1/11/2007, 03:22 PM
every n00b gets ridiculed ;)

he needs to bust doleo's *** some more, that was hilarious :D

bri
1/11/2007, 03:39 PM
http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/6784/ds20070106vx1.png

FaninAma
1/11/2007, 03:41 PM
You sure are a little bitch about whining about personal shots when you seem pretty free about handing them out. I guess I could counter with "Whining about fraternities is for people who didn't get bids and need validation." However, I don't need to make uninformed blanket statements.

Criteria for admission was vote of the general membership with at least 80% acceptance.

Not everyone who applied was accepted. It was pretty rare that someone who wanted to pledge was rejected, though. It was also pretty rare that someone who pledged was rejected for full membership later-those who wouldn't have made it end up depledging on their own before it comes to that point. In fact, I can only remember one kid who didn't get full membership without voluntarily depledging-and that was because he attempted to take liberties with someone's girlfriend.

If they wanted to be a member and couldn't afford dues, then they couldn't be a member-just like any other club in the world that has dues. If someone was already a member and fell on hard times, arrangements could be made for a need-based reduction of dues or alumni scholarships.

No whining here. I just think that guys who join a fraternitiy and pay to hang out with other guys to drink beer, chase tail and otherwise act like highschool sophomores reeks of immaturity, insecurity, self-indulgence. It just screams "I'm insecure. I need to make sure there are people who like me even if it means I'm paying to have them say that."

If the shoe fits then by all means wear it proudly.

Furthermore, I am of the opinion that most social fraternities are founded on a premise of racism, bigotry and elitism.

Now how's that for personal?

frankensooner
1/11/2007, 03:48 PM
I think people who lash out at people for being different than themselves, or having different beliefs, have tiny weenises

sanantoniosooner
1/11/2007, 03:49 PM
arguing about it on the internet is the pinnacle of maturity.

Tear Down This Wall
1/11/2007, 03:51 PM
Dang, you're hard core Gamma Delta Iota!!!

Hilarity in school when people were wearing GDI shirts...

Back in the day, we had GDI shirts with The Cramps "Bad music for bad people" album cover dude on them.

http://www.itineratesurfer.com/wp-content/psychobilly.jpeg

Yes, I'm shocked that I used to listen to The Cramps as well. But, in the late 80s, songs that began "Life is short, full of stuff" appealed to me.

What can I say...it was the late 80s, we were at war with nobody, Communism was collapsing, we had alot of disposable income even as students, and we reviled yuppies and the fraternaties that spawned them. Nothing fit our homemade GDI shirts better than the Bad music for bad people guy.

yermom
1/11/2007, 03:52 PM
ok, what the hell is GDI?

SoonerStormchaser
1/11/2007, 03:53 PM
Well, in the "Command and Conquer" games, it's the good guys!

frankensooner
1/11/2007, 03:54 PM
ok, what the hell is GDI?
Gosh Darn Independent

1stTimeCaller
1/11/2007, 03:57 PM
No whining here. I just think that guys who join a fraternitiy and pay to hang out with other guys to drink beer, chase tail and otherwise act like highschool sophomores reeks of immaturity, insecurity, self-indulgence. It just screams "I'm insecure. I need to make sure there are people who like me even if it means I'm paying to have them say that."

Furthermore, I am of the opinion that most social fraternities are founded on a premise of racism, bigotry and elitism.

C'mon Steve. Are you a dues paying member of anything? I paid money to live in a dorm would you consider rthat buying friends? The money that you to live in a fraternity house goes towards room& board and kick *** parties. That money being spent on buying friends ends up cheaper then paying rent on an apartment and buying & cooking your own food.

There are probably more guys that I don't care to talk to anymore from my fraternity than there are that I talk to often. I'm not sure about the other fraternities at OU but mine was very diverse. We had your stereotypical frat guys, idiots like myself, black guys, asians, white guys, smart kids, dumb kids, straight guys, a few homosexuals, *******s, nice guys and the HMFIC's little brother. Guys that lived in the house when I was ther have gone on to go to prison, become doctors, lawyers, teachers, soldiers, officers, coaches, ditch diggers, preachers, bankers, bums and everything inbetween. It was a little slice of America.

I enjoyed my 1 1/2 year living in a fraternity house. The worst part for me was that there was always someone wanting to go outside and shoot hoops or play volleyball. I wouldn't want to live there now but I liked it when I was 19-20.

frankensooner
1/11/2007, 04:00 PM
C'mon Steve. Are you a dues paying member of anything? I paid money to live in a dorm would you consider rthat buying friends? The money that you to live in a fraternity house goes towards room& board and kick *** parties. That money being spent on buying friends ends up cheaper then paying rent on an apartment and buying & cooking your own food.

There are probably more guys that I don't care to talk to anymore from my fraternity than there are that I talk to often. I'm not sure about the other fraternities at OU but mine was very diverse. We had your stereotypical frat guys, idiots like myself, black guys, asians, white guys, smart kids, dumb kids, straight guys, a few homosexuals, *******s, nice guys and the HMFIC's little brother. Guys that lived in the house when I was ther have gone on to go to prison, become doctors, lawyers, teachers, soldiers, officers, coaches, ditch diggers, preachers, bankers, bums and everything inbetween. It was a little slice of America.

I enjoyed my 1 1/2 year living in a fraternity house. The worst part for me was that there was always someone wanting to go outside and shoot hoops or play volleyball. I wouldn't want to live there now but I liked it when I was 19-20.

You hit it right on the head! I just don't get why anyone would have that much venom for frats. Really, in the great scheme of things, what does it matter?

OK2LA
1/11/2007, 04:31 PM
Oh, I forgot. I'm racist too.

OK2LA
1/11/2007, 04:32 PM

Sounds like we were in the same house! :pop:

TheHumanAlphabet
1/11/2007, 04:35 PM
Gosh Darn Independent

Or Gamma Delta Iota if you wanted to wear a "frat" shirt around campus proudly proclaiming you're anti-frat-ness...See the irony?

Actually, we used a more stronger description using God's name in vain...

OH and BTW

I can't believe this thread hasn't died yet. This is either one way or the other. There is no win with this arguement.

sanantoniosooner
1/11/2007, 04:38 PM
ohhhhh........

somebody is winning, but I'm not telling who.

yermom
1/11/2007, 04:43 PM
Or Gamma Delta Iota if you wanted to wear a "frat" shirt around campus proudly proclaiming you're anti-frat-ness...See the irony?

Actually, we used a more stronger description using God's name in vain...

OH and BTW

I can't believe this thread hasn't died yet. This is either one way or the other. There is no win with this arguement.

so it's a group for conforming non-conformists?

frankensooner
1/11/2007, 04:44 PM
By the way, I am kinda low on friends nowadays, I wonder what you guys charge? I would like at least one attaboy a day. Name your prices. ;)

yermom
1/11/2007, 04:45 PM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/payments.php

jk the sooner fan
1/11/2007, 04:46 PM
what were some of the other GDI greeks? I tappa keg........ i bumma cig

i banga tri-delt

something like that

sanantoniosooner
have you thought about becoming a sponsor?
yeah, I got loads of friends now:rolleyes: :D

frankensooner
Would I get a daily attaboy as a sponsor gift? I will have to ask my wife permission.

Frozen Sooner
1/11/2007, 04:49 PM

More revealing about you than anything else. If there's any elitism going on in this thread, it's coming from your keyboard. All you want to do is condemn an experience you never had.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/11/2007, 04:51 PM
so it's a group for conforming non-conformists?

LOL!!

Yeah...go figure. I never wore one of those stupid shirts (yes I was GDI), but Balfour's sold them. Why someone proud of not conforming with the "Hitler Youth" (Animal House just came out when I was in school) and following all their rules and sports requirements, but then wants to wear a shirt looking like them, I couldn't figure out.

I never condemned the frats - I went through rush, got bids from houses I didn't like and didn't get bids from people I wanted. ehh, I had The Pride. Took up most of my time, plus I don't think any Frat I would've pledged would have paid for 3 expense paid trips to Miami and Orange Bowl tickets and hotel rooms and drunk parties...

Petro-Sooner
1/11/2007, 04:52 PM
I give this thread an A+ for making me both roll my eyes and laugh. Thank you all!!!

Frozen Sooner
1/11/2007, 04:56 PM
LOL!!

Yeah...go figure. I never wore one of those stupid shirts (yes I was GDI), but Balfour's sold them. Why someone proud of not conforming with the "Hitler Youth" (Animal House just came out when I was in school) and following all their rules and sports requirements, but then wants to wear a shirt looking like them, I couldn't figure out.

I never condemned the frats - I went through rush, got bids from houses I didn't like and didn't get bids from people I wanted. ehh, I had The Pride. Took up most of my time, plus I don't think any Frat I would've pledged would have paid for 3 expense paid trips to Miami and Orange Bowl tickets and hotel rooms and drunk parties...

Never understood that whole phenomenon as well.

"Look at me, I'm not greek!"

But wait-you mean that you weren't in a fraternity and got drunk in college? Man, and here I thought it was just greeks who got 'faced while they were in college...;) Hell, if you'd have been in the band when I was at OU, all you'd have gotten was a trip to El Paso and Tucson. Not such a great deal. :P.

jk the sooner fan
1/11/2007, 04:59 PM
i can confirm that greek gals will go out with non greek guys

OK2LA
1/11/2007, 05:07 PM

Yeah, but those chicks are ugly, and couldn't get dates with the "really cool" guys.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/11/2007, 05:09 PM

Me too, I went to a couple of functions and formals...

jk the sooner fan
1/11/2007, 05:10 PM
oh she wouldnt be seen anywhere near the house with me.....lol

LilSooner
1/11/2007, 08:53 PM
Yeah, but those chicks are ugly, and couldn't get dates with the "really cool" guys.

I resemble that remark. Rhino isn't in a frat I guess that must make me fug.

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/11/2007, 08:56 PM
Also I would like to point out that If I am flirting, it will be REALLY obvious. Secondly I would like to remind everyone that I have never been or will be ina fraternity :P

soonerboomer93
1/11/2007, 09:17 PM
I hate you all.

Did you stomp you feet when you posted that?

and Lil has some of the bestest rants eva

Cam
1/11/2007, 09:22 PM
Wow, this is a pretty funny thread.

We're not all superficial nitwits who can't make friends. I had plenty of friends before I joined. Joining a fraternity gave me a reason to go back to school. I partied more before I joined and I was friends with 90% of the chapter before I even thought about joining. The town the school was in didn't allow fraternity houses, so we didn't have one. Would've been cool to do though. But I probably couldn't have afforded it any way.

Just like the military, fraternities aren't for everybody. To each his own.

LilSooner
1/11/2007, 09:24 PM
Did you stomp you feet when you posted that?

and Lil has some of the bestest rants eva

Of course and I held my breath to.

You should see my rants in real life. Now that is something to behold.

soonerboomer93
1/11/2007, 09:44 PM
I'm sure they are

but that would also risk incurring the wrath of Rhino ;)

Frozen Sooner
1/12/2007, 12:41 AM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y75/oupimp/beyoncebad.jpg

1stTimeCaller
1/12/2007, 12:47 AM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y75/oupimp/beyoncebad.jpg

whoa!

OUAndy1807
1/12/2007, 12:57 AM
so, I guess it's time for me to chime in:
most frat boys are dickbags, but in general I would say most college aged guys are dickbags, so there you have it.

1tc, your frat was a bunch of fratty guys, 1 asian guy, 1 black guy, no smart kids, all dumb kids, no straight guys, all homosexuals (come on, elephant walk?), *******s (a given), and no nice guys.

I guess it comes down to this: Who gives a **** (and that's **** with an f, not **** with an s) about anyone else? go live you life, all of you. if you were in a frat, cool. if not, cool. I don't know why anyone would get their feelings hurt or waste their time arguing for 5 pages defending their position on something so trivial in the grand scheme of things.

but then again, why the **** would any of you care what I think?

may you continue to argue about decisions you made in your teens for another 5 pages in good health.

Mjcpr
1/12/2007, 09:23 AM
I had no idea Beyonce's cooter was so chatty.

jk the sooner fan
1/12/2007, 09:26 AM
i'm having a hard time turning away from that picture

sanantoniosooner
1/12/2007, 09:29 AM
Not really surprising it would have a southern accent.

Mjcpr
1/12/2007, 09:31 AM
Not really surprising it would have a southern accent.
Nope. And to me at least, it sounded a lot like Lou Rawls.

jk the sooner fan
1/12/2007, 09:34 AM
are you sure? i heard louis armstrong

Mjcpr
1/12/2007, 09:49 AM
are you sure? i heard louis armstrong

You were probably confused by the big jowls.

Tear Down This Wall
1/12/2007, 11:19 AM

I can confirm that they will more than go out with them. I can confirm that, at least in the late 80s in Norman, certain sorority chicks would meet up with a GDI at the old Thunderbird Motel off of I-35 for weekend long, marathon sessions of hide-the-weenie before said GDI had to head back home to his puny, private west Texas school.

Also, I can confirm that certain sorority chicks from Texas A&M will perfrom the same type of tasks the OU sorority girls did for the GDI, and further, marry him.

There's really no magic to it. You can either make friends on your own or you can't. You can talk a gal out of her socks or you can't. Background doesn't matter. Like Mungo Jerry sang back in the day, "If her daddy's rich, take her out for a meal; if her daddy's poor, just do what you feel."

You can have it either way, dogs. Hear me now, believe me later.

FaninAma
1/12/2007, 11:33 AM
It's very interesting that general derrogatory remarks about frats has drawn such a response and hit such a chord with a few on the board.

Actually, the response has been exactly what I thought it would be and would seem to validate my opinion that people join frats and sorities to validate their self-worth. Any attack on the fraternity/sorority system is viewed as an attack on them personally.

I'm sure that most individuals who belong to frats and sororites eventually grow up and become nice, friendly productive individuals. I am quite sure that some don't ever mature out of the higschool, reliving the good ol' days of rehashing sexual conquests and overindulgence which is pretty sad, actually.

And it's because frats seem to appeal to this type of human nature is the main reason I'm not a fan of the Greek system.

Beef
1/12/2007, 11:38 AM
I'm sure that most individuals who belong to frats and sororites eventually grow up and become nice, friendly nonjudgemental individuals. I am quite sure that some don't ever mature out of the higschool, reliving the good ol' days of rehashing sexual conquests and overindulgence which is pretty sad, actually.
I think you're getting the responses you thought because of statements like the one above, which can be applied to the majority of college students, whether or not they're Greek. You're singling out behavior in the Greek system that's pretty common amongst the general public of 18-22 year olds. Stereotyping and prejudice of any kind tend to bring out strong responses.

JohnnyMack
1/12/2007, 11:39 AM
I'm sure that most individuals who belong to frats and sororites eventually grow up and become nice, friendly productive individuals. I am quite sure that some don't ever mature out of the higschool, reliving the good ol' days of rehashing sexual conquests and overindulgence which is pretty sad, actually.

And it's because frats seem to appeal to this type of human nature is the main reason I'm not a fan of the Greek system.

How is that any different than any other cross section of society? That's what I don't get about your argument.

Oh, and what Beef said. :O

FaninAma
1/12/2007, 11:43 AM
I think you're getting the responses you thought because of statements like the one above, which can be applied to the majority of college students, whether or not they're Greek. You're singling out behavior in the Greek system that's pretty common amongst the general public of 18-22 year olds. Stereotyping and prejudice of any kind tend to bring out strong responses.

Beef, I agree with your assessment but I would assert the appeal of the frats is that they promote that type of behavior which causes me to have difficulty with understanding why they are an integral part of college/campus life.

I would think that most colleges would strive to educate their students and help them become more mature, responsible individuals....not propmote a system that encourages self-indulgence and immature behavior.

jk the sooner fan
1/12/2007, 11:44 AM
truly, break it down and the difference between the greeks and non greeks, is that the greeks are going to drink and party (for the most part) with the same group of kids week in and week out....in the same place, in somewhat a controlled environment

its not at all different than the non greeks in the dorms doing the same damn thing.......and, you know.......those dorms arent free......the non greeks may have a bigger pool of idiots to drink with

Frozen Sooner
1/12/2007, 11:46 AM
I've only seen one person on this thread making judgmental statements.

I'll leave it as an exercise to figure out who it is.

jk the sooner fan
1/12/2007, 11:48 AM
no no, i'm the ONLY sanctimonious opinionated jerk around here!!! ;)

FaninAma
1/12/2007, 11:51 AM
How is that any different than any other cross section of society? That's what I don't get about your argument.

Oh, and what Beef said. :O

I have no problem if individuals want to go out and act like they are perpetually 17 years old. I have a real problem with an ingrained, promoted system(especially at public Universities) that often encourage this type of behavior.

If there were any other real meaningful purpose for the existence of frats and sororities then I might view them in a different light.

Again, I'm just one individual with an opinion. It matters no more than anybody elses. And I do admit to egging on the comments after the initial intense responses I got from JK and a few others. But I did not point fingers at individuals or their kids or their friends. Once it was obvious that they were former frat members and were taking my comments personally I just couldn't resist....and for this I probably owe them an apology.

Frozen Sooner
1/12/2007, 11:54 AM
Well, that's not juvenile or anything. Good to see that staying out of fraternities has made you so mature.

For what it's worth, when you make derogatory blanket statements about groups, members of those groups do tend to take it personally. Claiming that you weren't pointing fingers at individuals when individuals belong to the groups you're deriding is disingenuous at best.

FaninAma
1/12/2007, 12:05 PM
Well, that's not juvenile or anything. Good to see that staying out of fraternities has made you so mature.

For what it's worth, when you make derogatory blanket statements about groups, members of those groups do tend to take it personally. Claiming that you weren't pointing fingers at individuals when individuals belong to the groups you're deriding is disingenuous at best.

Mike, I offer no apology for any of my blanket statements. I think that social frats and sororities are detrimental and contradictory to the stated goals of higher institutions which is t educating people and helping them become more mature, responsible individuals better able to function in society.

As to the issue that my blanket comments were an immature, juvenile action.....the later ones probably were. But I still find your blanket, non-objective defense of the fraternity system to be interesting. It's as if I had insulted a family member instead of a social organization you once belonged to.

1stTimeCaller
1/12/2007, 12:11 PM
nevermind the community service that the greek community performs each year and the thousands of dollars raised each year for various charities by the greek community.

Steve, you're fairly uneducated on the greek system and you seem to be happy with that.

MamaMia
1/12/2007, 12:14 PM
Theres alot of generalizing going on here that shouldn't be. People make up the fraternities and sororities. There are nice, and not so nice people in the frat and sorority houses. There are also alot of nice and not so nice people who aren't members of a fraternity or sorority.

Howzit
1/12/2007, 12:17 PM
so, I guess it's time for me to chime in:
most frat boys are dickbags, but in general I would say most college aged guys are dickbags, so there you have it.

1tc, your frat was a bunch of fratty guys, 1 asian guy, 1 black guy, no smart kids, all dumb kids, no straight guys, all homosexuals (come on, elephant walk?), *******s (a given), and no nice guys.

I guess it comes down to this: Who gives a **** (and that's **** with an f, not **** with an s) about anyone else? go live you life, all of you. if you were in a frat, cool. if not, cool. I don't know why anyone would get their feelings hurt or waste their time arguing for 5 pages defending their position on something so trivial in the grand scheme of things.

but then again, why the **** would any of you care what I think?

may you continue to argue about decisions you made in your teens for another 5 pages in good health.

Was the second **** a **** with an f or a **** with an s? I really think you could have been more clear on this. I am assuming an f, but what if I'm wrong?

FaninAma
1/12/2007, 12:28 PM
nevermind the community service that the greek community performs each year and the thousands of dollars raised each year for various charities by the greek community.

Steve, you're fairly uneducated on the greek system and you seem to be happy with that.

Perhaps, but my opinion, like the vast majority of personal opinions, has been developed based on my own personal experiences with frats and frat members. I don't deny that there are some very nice people who belong to frats. And I don't deny that some frats and sororities make more of an effort to outreach to the community than others. But the community outreach is not their main reason for existing and my experience has been that most of the community outreach has been performed by the service fraternities....not the social fraternities.

The job market in all sectors is getting more and more competitive. The entrance requirements to go to college are getting more and more competitive and it just seems to me that any effort or money that is spent in any endeavor that doesn't help the individual become better prepared for the competiveness of the market is an anachronism in today's educational system.

I'd be willing to listen to anybody's story of how a social fraternity helped them become better prepared to meet the ever-increasing challenges faced in their professional careers.

Rhino
1/12/2007, 12:32 PM
Ya know, pediatricians are jerks.

yermom
1/12/2007, 12:37 PM
Perhaps, but my opinion, like the vast majority of personal opinions, has been developed based on my own personal experiences with frats and frat members. I don't deny that there are some very nice people who belong to frats. And I don't deny that some frats and sororities make more of an effort to outreach to the community than others. But the community outreach is not their main reason for existing and my experience has been that most of the community outreach has been performed by the service fraternities....not the social fraternities.

The job market in all sectors is getting more and more competitive. The entrance requirements to go to college are getting more and more competitive and it just seems to me that any effort or money that is spent in any endeavor that doesn't help the individual become better prepared for the competiveness of the market is an anachronism in today's educational system.

I'd be willing to listen to anybody's story of how a social fraternity helped them become better prepared to meet the ever-increasing challenges faced in their professional careers.

networking?

seems like the good-ol-boy method happens quite a bit with them

you so would have been an Emo kid in school, huh? ;)

1stTimeCaller
1/12/2007, 12:39 PM
I don't know what you mean by service organizations. Do you mean the Lions Club, Optomist Club, Rotary Club, etc.?

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/12/2007, 12:41 PM
Mike, I offer no apology for any of my blanket statements. I think that social frats and sororities are detrimental and contradictory to the stated goals of higher institutions which is t educating people and helping them become more mature, responsible individuals better able to function in society.

As to the issue that my blanket comments were an immature, juvenile action.....the later ones probably were. But I still find your blanket, non-objective defense of the fraternity system to be interesting. It's as if I had insulted a family member instead of a social organization you once belonged to.

You mean like the University of Miami's football team or maybe giving a scholorship to Greg Oden at Ohio St for one year that could have gone to a kid that REALLY wanted to go to school. Do you think OsU gave two ****s about maturity, and functionality in society when they didn't manage to teach Dexter Manley to read in 4 years? So if college athletics are contrary to the goals of higher education, why not get rid of sports?

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/12/2007, 12:45 PM
I am quite sure that some don't ever mature out of the higschool, reliving the good ol' days of rehashing sexual conquests and overindulgence which is pretty sad, actually

I can confirm that they will more than go out with them. I can confirm that, at least in the late 80s in Norman, certain sorority chicks would meet up with a GDI at the old Thunderbird Motel off of I-35 for weekend long, marathon sessions of hide-the-weenie before said GDI had to head back home to his puny, private west Texas school.

At least we know that isn't limited to frat boys ;)

jk the sooner fan
1/12/2007, 12:49 PM
its possible that some of my comments were made solely to point out the ridiculousness of somebody elses comments

of course, thats just my opinion

1stTimeCaller
1/12/2007, 12:55 PM
My fraternity had/has seminars and leadership conferences and workshops and other stuff to help members become better leaders. There are too many opportunities that fraternities make availiable to their members to list here.

SCOUT
1/12/2007, 12:56 PM

My fraternity offered study halls, proctors and even tutoring to help students make and keep their grades. I also had a big brother who helped me mature as a person and keep my eye on the prize of graduation and what lay beyond that.

Networking was mentioned and I believe that is a true asset. Also, you have the interaction of people going through the after college transition every year. I learned a great deal from those who graduated before me. They shared the things that worked, didn't work etc. We also had events at Harold's where we got advice on how to dress for an interview and things like that.

I also learned a great deal on how to live/work with a very large and diverse group of people. Those interpersonal skills have helped me in my professional life.

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/12/2007, 01:01 PM
My fraternity offered study halls, proctors and even tutoring to help students make and keep their grades. I also had a big brother who helped me mature as a person and keep my eye on the prize of graduation and what lay beyond that.

Networking was mentioned and I believe that is a true asset. Also, you have the interaction of people going through the after college transition every year. I learned a great deal from those who graduated before me. They shared the things that worked, didn't work etc. We also had events at Harold's where we got advice on how to dress for an interview and things like that.

I also learned a great deal on how to live/work with a very large and diverse group of people. Those interpersonal skills have helped me in my professional life.

I think you forgot to brag about your sexual conquest like all frat boys YWIA!!

jk the sooner fan
1/12/2007, 01:09 PM
i musta been thruuuuuuu about a million girlsssssss.....

Frozen Sooner
1/12/2007, 01:11 PM
Let's see, things I learned in a fraternity that have helped me in later life:

1. Leadership skills. I held several leadership positions in the fraternity, including chapter president. The skills I learned in these positions-both in a structured form from the national organization and in the form of OTJ-have proven invaluable to me when I've been in a management role.

2. Cooperative skills. I'm sure people have noticed I have a rather high opinion of myself (no, what, really?) A corollary of that is that I used to not value the opinions of others, especially in committee settings. Several different activities I was involved with in the fraternity taught me the value of other's input and collaborative effort.

3. Parliamentary procedure. Knowing parliamentary procedure has been helpful the times that I've been asked to participate in board meetings as an at-large employee member.

4. Networking. My first job out of college was the direct result of the fraternity-my big bro introduced me to his boss and gave me a strong recommendation.

5. Ettiquette and dress. Now, these are things that people should know before they get to college, but not everyone does. I learned the proper way to wear business attire and which forks to use in formal settings-both of which have been handy.

It's interesting that the claim fraternities and sororities promote drinking has been made several times, considering that every single fraternity and sorority house in Norman is dry-no alcohol is allowed on the premises. The sororities have been that way since I was in school, while the fraternities have been that way since the late 90s.

Unsupervised alcohol has been a no-no since I was in school-IFC mandated that alcohol at parties be either dispensed by a licensed bartender or be dispensed on a check-in system. Only those who were 21 and over were allowed to check alcohol in or out, and only a "reasonable" amount of alcohol was permitted per check-in. Kegs have not been allowed on chapter property since before 1990. As it happens, as a member of the IFC Judiciary, I placed a few chapters on probation for violating the reasonableness standard.

Absolutely there's violations of the rules, 'cause kids are stupid. Do a little research, though-the fraternities and sororities themselves are very serious about getting alcohol and drug abuse under control.

LilSooner
1/12/2007, 02:14 PM

Here is now what I hear out of you. Blah blah blah bob law blah bla. Is that juvinile or juvinile like for ya?

Are you sure your not Sonnerus troll?

jk the sooner fan
1/12/2007, 02:18 PM
bob law? i thought his first name was johnny....

Rhino
1/12/2007, 03:14 PM
I think she meant Bob Loblaw.

http://the-op.com/images/publicity/pub308_sm.jpg

jk the sooner fan
1/12/2007, 03:15 PM
oh, well that makes much more sense

OK2LA
1/12/2007, 04:50 PM

If you replace the word "fraternity" with the words "black people" - in most of your posts - you might have a better understanding of why people are taking it . . . . "personal and stuff". :D

stoopified
1/12/2007, 04:56 PM
Thank God Iwas commuter student and not in a frat house.

Kels
1/12/2007, 05:43 PM
It's interesting that the claim fraternities and sororities promote drinking has been made several times, considering that every single fraternity and sorority house in Norman is dry-no alcohol is allowed on the premises. The sororities have been that way since I was in school, while the fraternities have been that way since the late 90s.

Unsupervised alcohol has been a no-no since I was in school-IFC mandated that alcohol at parties be either dispensed by a licensed bartender or be dispensed on a check-in system. Only those who were 21 and over were allowed to check alcohol in or out, and only a "reasonable" amount of alcohol was permitted per check-in. Kegs have not been allowed on chapter property since before 1990. As it happens, as a member of the IFC Judiciary, I placed a few chapters on probation for violating the reasonableness standard.

Absolutely there's violations of the rules, 'cause kids are stupid. Do a little research, though-the fraternities and sororities themselves are very serious about getting alcohol and drug abuse under control.
Center for Student Life liasons have to call a house ten minutes ahead of time to notify them they are coming over to check for alcohol. They are limited to open areas only, cannot go in any bedrooms, or open any closed doors. The University knows which houses are in violation, but are limited to their own "ROE." The dry policy is a joke.

I've spent the last nine years working with OU students full-time. I've been a part of campus life eight years before that. The Greek culture has changed significantly in the last fifteen years, in my opinion.

Due to decreases in numbers nationally and alcohol-related problems, many houses have reorganized since the mid-90s. There is a concerted effort in the Greek system to be more diverse and less controlling of their members than their prior stereotype.

Nationally, numbers are increasing again. There also are a proliferation of new houses organizing as well. We'll see if it's just a demographic swing or not.

Students are students, in my opinion. Greeks tend to be busier than non-Greeks because of their chapter commitments. Those in campus leadership are traditionally more Greek than non-Greek.

There is still a strong perception that going Greek will expand one's network of friends, offer leadership opportunities, as well as job possibilities after college. I don't doubt that is true. However, within the ever-evolving campus community, students can reach those goals apart from Greek life now as well.

The issue is too multi-faceted to limit it to a simple, "It's good" or "It's bad." As has been mentioned before in this thread, it is extremely wise to wait until the second semester of one's freshman year or even one's sophomore year to pledge.

Keep on discussin' . . .

OK2LA
1/12/2007, 05:52 PM
Center for Student Life liasons have to call a house ten minutes ahead of time to notify them they are coming over to check for alcohol. They are limited to open areas only, cannot go in any bedrooms, or open any closed doors. The University knows which houses are in violation, but are limited to their own "ROE." The dry policy is a joke.

I've spent the last nine years working with OU students full-time. I've been a part of campus life eight years before that. The Greek culture has changed significantly in the last fifteen years, in my opinion.

Due to decreases in numbers nationally and alcohol-related problems, many houses have reorganized since the mid-90s. There is a concerted effort in the Greek system to be more diverse and less controlling of their members than their prior stereotype.

Nationally, numbers are increasing again. There also are a proliferation of new houses organizing as well. We'll see if it's just a demographic swing or not.

Students are students, in my opinion. Greeks tend to be busier than non-Greeks because of their chapter commitments. Those in campus leadership are traditionally more Greek than non-Greek.

There is still a strong perception that going Greek will expand one's network of friends, offer leadership opportunities, as well as job possibilities after college. I don't doubt that is true. However, within the ever-evolving campus community, students can reach those goals apart from Greek life now as well.

The issue is too multi-faceted to limit it to a simple, "It's good" or "It's bad." As has been mentioned before in this thread, it is extremely wise to wait until the second semester of one's freshman year or even one's sophomore year to pledge.

Keep on discussin' . . .

RACIST!

OUAndy1807
1/12/2007, 06:00 PM
anyone's opinions been changed yet?

Frozen Sooner
1/12/2007, 06:11 PM

Keep on discussin' . . .

I agree with 100% of what you said in the second paragraph I quoted. In fact, I think I was the one who said that kids should hang out with a bunch of people their freshman year and pledge a house where they get along with everyone as a sophomore. As to the first, all I know is what's reported to me in the alumni newsletters and stuff. When I was in school I was actually OK with the dry chapter house deal.

sooneron
1/12/2007, 06:16 PM
I was a greek at OU for about 3 years, then I took some time off from school and didn't go back. There are pluses and minuses to the whole thing. And unlike the way that some people think, everyone was NOT alike. This was in the Reagan 80's mind you. Groupthink and conformity were king. We had ROTC guys, Microbiology brainiac types, engineering majors, Poli sci majors, Art majors, and the like. Maybe we were something of a house of misfits. We weren't the best house, but weren't the worst, by far.
I didn't need to buy friends at school- I went to NHS and there were 4 HS buddies in my house. I have never had an issue with making friends or meeting girls.
The system surely isn't for everyone and to each their own. We had guys that wanted to party every night and guys that would pound on their door, b/c they had a Physics exam the next day- just like EVERYWHERE else on campus.
The biggest thing I think I learned in the house is how to get along with (shocker coming here, Faninama) people that were different than me. That is a lesson that comes in really ****ing handy in life. Well, maybe not for you.

Frozen Sooner
1/12/2007, 06:18 PM
I was a greek at OU for about 3 years, then I took some time off from school and didn't go back. There are pluses and minuses to the whole thing. And unlike the way that some people think, everyone was NOT alike. This was in the Reagan 80's mind you. Groupthink and conformity were king. We had ROTC guys, Microbiology brainiac types, engineering majors, Poli sci majors, Art majors, and the like. Maybe we were something of a house of misfits. We weren't the best house, but weren't the worst, by far.
I didn't need to buy friends at school- I went to NHS and there were 4 HS buddies in my house. I have never had an issue with making friends or meeting girls.
The system surely isn't for everyone and to each their own. We had guys that wanted to party every night and guys that would pound on their door, b/c they had a Physics exam the next day- just like EVERYWHERE else on campus.
The biggest thing I think I learned in the house is how to get along with (shocker coming here, Faninama) people that were different than me. That is a lesson that comes in really ****ing handy in life. Well, maybe not for you.

Yeah, but your house was a toolshed. ;)

ETTSN.

sooneron
1/12/2007, 06:22 PM
Yeah, but your house was a toolshed. ;)

ETTSN.
But Club 23 rawked!!:texan:

Cam
1/13/2007, 10:06 PM
It's very interesting that general derogatory remarks about doctors has drawn such a response and hit such a chord with a few on the board.

Actually, the responses have been exactly what I thought it would be and would seem to validate my opinion that people become doctors to validate their self-worth. Any attack on the profession is viewed as an attack on them personally.

I'm sure that most individuals who become doctors eventually grow up and become nice, friendly productive individuals. I am quite sure that some don't ever mature out of the high school, reliving the good ol' days of rehashing sexual conquests and overindulgence which is pretty sad, actually.

And it's because doctors seem to appeal to this type of human nature is the main reason I'm not a fan of the medical profession.
Don't take it as a personal attack, just an observation. :rolleyes: