PDA

View Full Version : How do you feel about "The Boz"?

8timechamps
1/10/2007, 10:38 AM
I was talking to my oldest son last night about the Sooner football teams of the past, and Brian Bozworth came up. It got me thinking about him. Let me know what you think

OzarkSooner
1/10/2007, 10:42 AM
You need to see his appearance on the "Oklahoma Football Legends Reunion" to make a fully educated choice. He makes a rather dramatic, teary-eyed apology to all in attendance.

The_Red_Patriot
1/10/2007, 10:44 AM
Exploded through lines like nobody I had seen.

Dominating player

I love the man

Stone Cold is still the best movie ever:D

Turd_Ferguson
1/10/2007, 10:55 AM

Lesson for the day; Coffee burns when coming out of my nostrils:D

8timechamps
1/10/2007, 10:56 AM
I still think he was one of (if not THE) best linebackers to ever play college football.

I've always been a Bozworth fan....even during his stint as a TBS studio man (that was brutal).

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/10/2007, 11:02 AM
Uh...23?

8timechamps
1/10/2007, 11:04 AM
Uh...23?

huh? :confused:

#1 SOONER FAN
1/10/2007, 11:07 AM
As far as I'm concerned, he was the best college linebacker that ever played the game. When he was here for the last home game, he signed an autograph for my son which I gave to him for Christmas. You'd have thought I gave him a million dollars.

8timechamps
1/10/2007, 11:09 AM
As far as I'm concerned, he was the best college linebacker that ever played the game. When he was here for the last home game, he signed an autograph for my son which I gave to him for Christmas. You'd have thought I gave him a million dollars.

Are you willing to adopt? I'm 35, but I am potty trained (for the most part).

The_Red_Patriot
1/10/2007, 11:11 AM
I still think he was one of (if not THE) best linebackers to ever play college football.

I've always been a Bozworth fan....even during his stint as a TBS studio man (that was brutal).

haha, he was so HOMER on that show

I remember a couple times saying texas sucks and how OU would roll everyone.

Aries
1/10/2007, 11:12 AM
Incredible player, needed to mature a LOT as a human being. Maybe he has since then.

sanantoniosooner
1/10/2007, 11:34 AM
so........I'm thinking about voting the other way just to see what crap I can stir up :D

Desert Sapper
1/10/2007, 11:55 AM
The Boz had the best natural football instincts of any LB we have ever had (to include Rod Shoate and Rocky Calmus -- who both had brilliant instincts to be sure). He was very physical and agressive and anchored one of the best Ds in college football history. He made some stupid decisions, he made some brilliant decisions, and if not for injury would probably have been one of the best LBs in NFL history. I like him.

flopshotjoe99
1/10/2007, 12:51 PM
still like him.

OU Adonis
1/10/2007, 12:58 PM
My favorite OU player ever.

OK2LA
1/10/2007, 01:00 PM

I thought that was a pretty friggin good movie. I must be biassed.

OUmillenium
1/10/2007, 01:04 PM
Stone Cold is a good movie from an action perspective, oscar winner it is not.

He makes good cameos too.

When I was a freshmen in HS, I had the bozcut and loved him. Was disappointed in how he behaved toward the end of his OU career. Regained the manlove after watching the OU legends videos.

Was awesome to see him on the sidelines during our National Championship run in 2000. Cudos to Stoops for that.

Pricetag
1/10/2007, 01:23 PM

Dominating player

I love the man

His other straight-to-video movies of the mid-to-late '90s are greatness, as well. He drops references about OU and his playing career in them.

daysgoneby
1/10/2007, 01:51 PM
He was THE MAN! Rememeber that ol' song "Big Bad John" by Jimmy Dean?!? Well, back in 1987 around the time for the Orange Bowl against Miami and the steroid issue, someone did a parody of the song using The BOZ and obvoiusly called it "Big Bad Boz". It was played on 97.5 KMOD and I recorded it on a cassette tape back in 1987. I'll try to find the tape and convert to an MP3. I'll post it later, if anyone would like to hear it. I'm sure the quality will be a little rough and I think it cuts out for about 5 or 10 seconds somewhere in the song.

The song starts out like this:

"Every morning on the field, he wouldn't get there in time, he stood six feet four weighing 239. With a stripe in his hair-do, a towel on his hip, like to watch him play but can't stand the lip of the Boz..."

Also, I went as The Boz on Halloween in 86 or 87. I had the stripes painted in my hair, OU #44 uniform and pads. Got some cool old pictures of it.
And yes, Stone Cold is an awesome movie!

Later

LittleWingSooner
1/10/2007, 01:58 PM
He's one of the greatest. I think I put only 3 guys above him Shoate, Williams and Selmon.

King Crimson
1/10/2007, 02:12 PM
he's OK with me......but I always thought Dante Jones deserved his props too as a player....

tbl
1/10/2007, 02:21 PM
When did he turn on the program? The book? I never knew any of this, but I was young enough that the only thing I knew about him was how BA he was on the field.

Somebody enlighten me as to why he needed to make a teary eyed apology...

sanantoniosooner
1/10/2007, 02:56 PM
The book he wrote. Keep in mind his stay at OU was in the years leading up to Switzer leaving and probation.

A lot of dirty laundry. And a lot of people were pi$$ed. I remember all the "Don't lay that trash on Oklahoma" shirts and bumper stickers

SoCal
1/10/2007, 02:56 PM
The greatest game from a MLB, that I've seen, came from Boz vs. Nebraska during his So. year. After that he got a big head!

auto
1/10/2007, 03:09 PM

Dominating player

I love the man

so true:D

Wishboned
1/10/2007, 03:34 PM
Always was a fan of The Boz.

And his apology in the Legends dvd was exactly what he needed to do.

fwsooner22
1/10/2007, 03:43 PM
I remember waking up in my room (on campus) on Saturday morning hungover as a dog and full of Denco Darlins....remembering that we were playing Utah State (or someone like that) and thinking I'll go at the half or I am not gonna hurry for that one. Then I would think of Boz blowing the helmet off some unsuspecting running back and kick it in gear. Usually with a bloody or two......Man, I miss those days.

TUSooner
1/10/2007, 03:59 PM
Meh. His only saving grace was that he was a Sooner. If he'd played for anybody else I probably would have hated his guts.

sanantoniosooner
1/10/2007, 04:02 PM
Meh. His only saving grace was that he was a Sooner. If he'd played for anybody else I probably would have hated his guts.
No doubt. A lot of teams have players like that.

TexasSooner01
1/10/2007, 04:06 PM
My favorite memory of watching the Boz play was when he tackled this texass player, grabbed his jersey and drug him back like 7 yards, then dropped him on his arse. Of course he got a personal foul but it was funny as $chitt.

sooner94
1/10/2007, 04:10 PM
The greatest game from a MLB, that I've seen, came from Boz vs. Nebraska during his So. year. After that he got a big head!

I'll never forget the 22 tackles against Miami during the 1986 regular season when we played them at Miami. He was everywhere that day. The Boz hit a running back for a loss and his helmet came off, and you could see Boz screaming at him as they hit the ground. That was CRAZY intensity.

FYI- The Boz has twin nephews that grew up in Plano and play for UCLA. Unfortunately for them they only got a small portion of the Boz genetics.

OSUAggie
1/10/2007, 04:24 PM
Did he change how he spelled his last name at some point?

OK2LA
1/10/2007, 04:28 PM
He was THE MAN! Rememeber that ol' song "Big Bad John" by Jimmy Dean?!? Well, back in 1987 around the time for the Orange Bowl against Miami and the steroid issue, someone did a parody of the song using The BOZ and obvoiusly called it "Big Bad Boz". It was played on 97.5 KMOD and I recorded it on a cassette tape back in 1987. I'll try to find the tape and convert to an MP3. I'll post it later, if anyone would like to hear it. I'm sure the quality will be a little rough and I think it cuts out for about 5 or 10 seconds somewhere in the song.

The song starts out like this:

"Every morning on the field, he wouldn't get there in time, he stood six feet four weighing 239. With a stripe in his hair-do, a towel on his hip, like to watch him play but can't stand the lip of the Boz..."

Also, I went as The Boz on Halloween in 86 or 87. I had the stripes painted in my hair, OU #44 uniform and pads. Got some cool old pictures of it.
And yes, Stone Cold is an awesome movie!

Later

So - do you like him or don't you?

TexasLidig8r
1/10/2007, 05:00 PM

I was wondering if someone would see the irony of this thread being on the same page as the Muhammad Ali is a tool for starting it all thread.

If Boz had gone to Texas, instead of OU, and pulled all the stunts he pulled while playing for Texas, he would be the most hated, reviled, despised person to have ever worn burnt orange.

The color of the uniform changes the perspective.

jwlynn64
1/10/2007, 05:24 PM
I was wondering if someone would see the irony of this thread being on the same page as the Muhammad Ali is a tool for starting it all thread.

If Boz had gone to Texas, instead of OU, and pulled all the stunts he pulled while playing for Texas, he would be the most hated, reviled, despised person to have ever worn burnt orange.

I agree with everything that you said.

Boz was the greatest!!! :D

olevetonahill
1/10/2007, 05:33 PM
If the Boz had went to saxet , He would never have played a down. :eek:

He would have been to busy Puking around all the ugly asz orange :D

Fraggle145
1/10/2007, 06:09 PM
Who has two thumbs and had a Boz haircut at one time in his life?

This guy.

tbl
1/10/2007, 07:17 PM
I don't know how anybody can deny the greatness of Stone Cold.

I mean, the head biker is named Chains!!! Plus, I really like that dude that played him.

OK2LA
1/10/2007, 07:50 PM

So you like The Boz too?

Easting
1/10/2007, 07:51 PM
I can't forgive his acting.

But I love the guy!

Common sense ref
1/10/2007, 08:01 PM
I think he is just like Lawrence Taylor if not for the drugs he would not have been as good!:cool:

101sooner
1/10/2007, 08:20 PM
I can't forgive his acting.

But I love the guy!

Blatant screw job. He should have won best actor for Stone Cold and best supporting actor for "The Longest Yard".

Boz is:

All State, State Champion, All Conference, Conference Champion, All American, National Champion, Academic All American, 2X Butkis winner, NFL defensive Rookie of the Year, Pro-Football Color Commentator............

and a bona-fide movie star.

OUmillenium
1/10/2007, 08:32 PM

...and he would have been winless v. the Sooners!:)

OUmillenium
1/10/2007, 08:36 PM
Speaking of parities, before the great NU game of 87, a parity of George Michael's Faith came out called Nebraska Bites.

One line of song -
"...you know the Boz ain't with us now,
Dante will have to show them how,
He'll break them all in two."

Dante Jones filled in nicely for the Boz.

TUSooner
1/10/2007, 08:36 PM
I should have added that being a Sooner is an OUTSTANDING saving grace.

TUSooner
1/10/2007, 08:39 PM

Whatever I didn't like about the Boz.....I blame on Muhammad Ali. :D

JLMSOONER
1/10/2007, 09:11 PM
He was loud and obnoxious and he backed every bit of it up on the field. Few players play with the intensity he did. My favorite Bozism is in his book. A picture of him looking at Mike Gundy and holding three finers up. The captions says something like "Here I am showing Mike Gumby it's third down and he still hasn't done anything right". I am sure every teams offense hated to play against him. He could dole out some punishment.

Soonerus
1/11/2007, 12:00 AM
Boz was awesome...

OU Adonis
1/11/2007, 12:08 AM
Am I the only one who loved him as a kid? (me as a kid, not him. Michael jackson I am not)

Octavian
1/11/2007, 12:38 AM
Brian Bosworth left Norman, OK after his redshirt junior with:

All-American honors

Academic All-American honors

2 Sports Illustrated covers (when SI covers were a really big deal)

A top 4 Heisman finish....as a linebacker

2 Butkus Awards

3 Big 8 championship rings

and a National Championship ring.

....not bad for a farm kid from the Southwest.

For all the other dumb and obnoxious stuff he did and said (he really was Prime Time and Rodman a decade too early), and for the bad decisions he made with steroids, he was a sharp self-promoter who graduated ahead of schedule and made assloads of money, earned national fame, and did almost nothing but win while he was a Sooner.

....that's OK in my book.

olevetonahill
1/11/2007, 12:55 AM
Am I the only one who loved him as a kid? (me as a kid, not him. Michael jackson I am not)
Hell HE was a kid when I watched him play !:eek:

jwlynn64
1/11/2007, 12:59 AM
I think he is just like Lawrence Taylor if not for the drugs he would not have been as good!:cool:

At that time, his opponents were all doing roids as well. He would have still been great off the roids, if everyone else were off them as well.

8timechamps
1/11/2007, 01:47 AM
Seems to me like Brain Bozworth became The Boz after the texas game his soph year. I remember Barry Switzer doing an interview on the field after the game, pulling Boz into the picture and sayin "this is the best linebacker in the country!".

Of course, as previously mentioned...he could back it all up when he strapped on a helmet.

kevpks
1/11/2007, 03:34 AM
Stone Cold is an awesome movie. Is it on DVD yet?

TexasSooner01
1/11/2007, 10:09 AM
Boz was my childhood crush! Now....Not so much!

MyT Oklahoma
1/11/2007, 11:32 PM
I too do remember him and yes I liked Brian on the field but not off. But if Barry and he have finally made up, who am I to judge him now?

MamaMia
1/12/2007, 12:56 AM
I forgave him a couple of times, and then he said that OU didn't deserve to be in the Sugar Bowl. Once bitten, twice shy.

noose7699
1/13/2007, 07:40 AM
You need to see his appearance on the "Oklahoma Football Legends Reunion" to make a fully educated choice. He makes a rather dramatic, teary-eyed apology to all in attendance.

I think that should be a rule. That was a good moment for him. I've always loved his style, even through his " youthful ignorance".

bosworthsteroidmafia
1/13/2007, 11:46 AM
He was the man.

Boffingham
1/13/2007, 05:05 PM
he gave me a $50 tip in Norman once...so i like the guy

goingoneight
1/15/2007, 02:34 AM
Chuck Norris versus The Boz... who would win???

AD.

<><
1/15/2007, 12:27 PM
That depends... Steroid Boz or present-day Boz?

washington's fave
1/15/2007, 07:48 PM
If the BOZ needed to take a pi** on you it would be one of the greatest days of every SOONERS lives!!!!

SouthFortySooner
1/15/2007, 08:56 PM
...the "way I remember" it was accounted at his tryout for the pro scouts something like, he benched 500 lbs multiple times then went out and immediatley ran a 4.5 40... I,m still impressed.

blutotiger
1/16/2007, 12:05 PM
Ever see the Mad TV, where the guy comes home and he catches his wife boning a guy.

He is ****ed, but when the Boz walks out, he is happy as hell.

He then urges his old lady and Boz to do it again and let him watch.

Rook65
1/18/2007, 01:42 PM
I guess that's why I don't watch Mad TV or SNL.

noose7699
2/9/2007, 05:11 PM
Ever see the Mad TV, where the guy comes home and he catches his wife boning a guy.

He is ****ed, but when the Boz walks out, he is happy as hell.

He then urges his old lady and Boz to do it again and let him watch.

Yea that was the super bowl special.. That WAS a funny episode, back when mad tv was funny. I think it had the vud bowl and some gatorade skit.

" I went to oklahoma too man, I even had "the boz" cut! Go SOONERS! I can't believe I'm standing next to you, but you're doing my wife??!!"

H8HOGS
2/9/2007, 05:15 PM
National Communist Against Athletes.

That shirt was hilarious.

noose7699
2/10/2007, 08:49 PM
yup. haha. Loved the shirt.. was too young to know what it meant back when he did it ( I woulda been 5 at the time) but when i read his autobiography when I got older, I thought it was hilarious.