PDA

View Full Version : Louisville's Bush planning to go pro. (as if anybody here cares)

batonrougesooner
1/10/2007, 09:34 AM
Read the article.

My point is that this guy broke his leg in the first game of the season. He states he has yet to resume running and is walking with a limp!

Remind me again when the draft is. What about the combine?

This guy should definitely come back for another year. I can't imagine he will be ready to work out for the scouts in another 6-8 weeks.

If he's not careful, he might go undrafted.

Louisville running back Michael Bush announced Tuesday he will enter the NFL draft instead of returning to the Cardinals.

Andy Lyons/Getty Images
Michael Bush, seen here before his 2006 season was cut short by a broken leg, won't return to Louisville for 2007.The news was first reported by ESPN.com's Pat Forde, who also reported that Louisville has agreed to terms with Tulsa coach Steve Kragthorpe on a five-year deal to replace Bobby Petrino.

"I loved my time here at U of L, but I think it's time for me to move on," Bush told reporters.

Bush said coach Bobby Petrino's decision to leave the team was a factor in his decision. Petrino resigned Sunday to become head coach of the NFL's Atlanta Falcons.

"When coach Petrino signed that deal, I didn't really want to play with nobody else," he said.

Bush was touted as a Heisman Trophy candidate this season after running for 1,143 yards and an NCAA-leading 23 touchdowns as a junior in 2005. He ran for 128 yards and three touchdowns in little over a half against Kentucky, but broke his right leg after being tackled by Kentucky linebacker Wesley Woodyard early in the third quarter.

Bush told reporters last month that his rehabilitation was going well, though he continues to walk with a slight limp and has yet to begin running.

"I had concerns if I came back, maybe if I had got hurt again next year, could I live out my dream of playing at the next level," he said Tuesday.

The Cardinals went 12-1 this season, winning the Big East title and the Orange Bowl. Louisville junior quarterback Brian Brohm has yet to announce whether he will return to the Cardinals next season.

Bush said he's heard from NFL personnel that he could go sometime between the first and third rounds. He is planning to spend the next few months rehabbing the leg in Arizona in hopes of being able to run for NFL scouts prior to April's draft.

"If I can't run in March, maybe I fall to the third," Bush said. "That is a chance I am willing to take."

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Spanish Sooner
1/10/2007, 09:46 AM
just depends on where the scouts and teams think he might go, remember Willis Magahee got drafted the same year after he injured his knee. Of course Magahee did play a full season

8timechamps
1/10/2007, 10:36 AM
His decision didn't surprise me at all. In fact, I would have been surprised if he would have stayed after Petrino left.

He's probably mad at himself for not leaving last year.

LRoss
1/10/2007, 11:08 AM
I'm in Louisville, and it's been fun to hear all the locals wax philosophical about why they thought Bush might stay. He got hurt, sure, but the guy's a beast and he has a track record from before this year. He's going to be a first-day pick and probably a very good NFL player. U of L fans are funny (and not NEARLY as obnoxious as UK fans).

8timechamps
1/10/2007, 11:15 AM
I'm in Louisville, and it's been fun to hear all the locals wax philosophical about why they thought Bush might stay. He got hurt, sure, but the guy's a beast and he has a track record from before this year. He's going to be a first-day pick and probably a very good NFL player. U of L fans are funny (and not NEARLY as obnoxious as UK fans).

I watched him play before the injury, and he is a stud. He seems to be the ideal NFL back (6'3", 250). He'll be an easy first rounder.