PDA

View Full Version : Next Year It Will Be Start To Finish

FaninAma
1/9/2007, 04:34 PM
When was the last time the Sooner program looked dominating from start to finish? 2000?

I think next year the defense will be the best defense Stoops has had since 2001 and the best, most balanced offense since 2004.

Hopefully we won't run into any teams like the USC team of 2004.

BASSooner
1/9/2007, 04:37 PM
I don't think OUr defense will be as dominating as the one of 2003. Unless, OUr guys woke up from bed one day and said, "hey let's actually give it a 100% every game and win a championship!"

Jerk
1/9/2007, 08:47 PM
IIRC, we had no injuries in 2000.

With teams sort-of close talent-wise due to parity, that might be the biggest factor (of many).

You dig it?

OUAndy1807
1/9/2007, 09:06 PM
we're losing AD and no one knows who the quarterback is going to be. I'm trying to be optimistic, but you'll forgive me if I'm not quite ready to call this team the most dominating since 2000. I think we'll be very, very good, but the quarterback thing worries me.

OklahomaTuba
1/9/2007, 10:06 PM
most balanced offense since 2004.

I have no idea how you can say this when we will be breaking in a true frosh at QB.

85Sooner
1/9/2007, 10:24 PM
we're losing AD and no one knows who the quarterback is going to be. I'm trying to be optimistic, but you'll forgive me if I'm not quite ready to call this team the most dominating since 2000. I think we'll be very, very good, but the quarterback thing worries me.
Seems I heard that this year. Maybe not from you but from many. I am stoked for our running back corps not AD . Best to him in his future. bring on the corps.

MamaMia
1/9/2007, 10:27 PM
I already have our hotel room reserved for Red River Shootout week and just booked our rooms for all the home games, including the Satuday after Thanksgiving in case the OU/osu game gets moved.
I have a good feeling about next season. http://www.online-thecatsmeow.com/images/Emoticons4/love_dance.gif

PLaw
1/9/2007, 11:08 PM
When was the last time the Sooner program looked dominating from start to finish? 2000?

I think next year the defense will be the best defense Stoops has had since 2001 and the best, most balanced offense since 2004.

Dominating Defense?? From where?? D-Line play will be average, new LB's, and suspect DB's. I think there is potential, but this crew has a lot to prove, still.

We might actually see a return to an attacking philosophy rather than relying on "better" talent.

GO SOONERS

SouthFortySooner
1/9/2007, 11:15 PM
Very optomistic indeed. But I like that the day after the last game of the college football season. :D

picasso
1/9/2007, 11:19 PM
Dominating Defense?? From where?? D-Line play will be average, new LB's, and suspect DB's. I think there is potential, but this crew has a lot to prove, still.

We might actually see a return to an attacking philosophy rather than relying on "better" talent.

GO SOONERS
the d-line should be better. LB's a year wiser, same for the d-backs.
our o-line could the best Stoops has had (as per Merv Johnson).

problem is we'll still have average play calling.

Soonerfan1993
1/10/2007, 01:25 AM
the d-line should be better. LB's a year wiser, same for the d-backs.
our o-line could the best Stoops has had (as per Merv Johnson).

problem is we'll still have average play calling.

If OU has problems on offense it will be
A. A passing attack in ypg that isn't anything but average in the final ncaa stats:see 05 and 06 passing ypg for example.

If OU has problems on defense it will be
A. A front 4 that gets very few sacks aginst anybody but say the bottom feeders on the schedule i.e. Baylor

I don't expect 2 SR's, 5 JR's and 1 RSo in the back 7 on defense to be busting.

If OU has a very potent passing attack, and a Front 4 that puts massive pressure and ranks in the Top 4-5 in sacks out of the Front 4 in the nation they will run the table.

Those 2 things on offense and defense are complete unkowns though.

OU returns about 5 sacks on the returning players on the front 4 and they haven't had a potent passing attack to give them a balanced scoring offense and attack since 2004 with Jason and I'm not buying the uhh OU will do what the defense will give you crap either like when OU only threw it like 12 times aginst A&M and scored 17 points.

They had a balanced offense aginst A&M in 04 and scored 42.

OklahomaTuba
1/10/2007, 09:14 AM
I liked what we did to A&M in 2003. We should do that again.

FaninAma
1/10/2007, 10:33 AM
I have no idea how you can say this when we will be breaking in a true frosh at QB.

Because whoever we have at QB will have a higher skill level for the position than PT did..... all they will lack is game-time seasoning. Call it a knock on Paul if you want but he was not an accurate passer past the 15 yard range. I also think his limitations predicated the run-first offense we had.

Our offenive line will be the most experienced, most talented we've had since 2003 with more depth than 2003. Our RB corps, even without Adrian will be solid. We have a talented, experienced, deep receiving corp including the most talented TE's we've ever had at OU.

sooneron
1/10/2007, 10:36 AM
... but we don't win conf titles in odd numbered years.

8timechamps
1/10/2007, 10:54 AM
I don't think we looked "dominant" in 2000. If you remember, there were three cames that came down to the wire:

1. aTm won 35-31
2. oSu won 12-7
3. KSU (Big XII CCG) won 27-24

I think the 2004 looked more dominating....until the Orange Bowl.

OklahomaTuba
1/10/2007, 11:21 AM
Because whoever we have at QB will have a higher skill level for the position than PT did..... all they will lack is game-time seasoning. Call it a knock on Paul if you want but he was not an accurate passer past the 15 yard range. I also think his limitations predicated the run-first offense we had.

Our offenive line will be the most experienced, most talented we've had since 2003 with more depth than 2003. Our RB corps, even without Adrian will be solid. We have a talented, experienced, deep receiving corp including the most talented TE's we've ever had at OU.

We have the advantage of a favorable schedule at least.

To me, the key is the trigger man.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/10/2007, 11:34 AM
I don't think we looked "dominant" in 2000. If you remember, there were three cames that came down to the wire:

1. aTm won 35-31
2. oSu won 12-7

I think the 2004 looked more dominating....until the Orange Bowl.

Yeah, the only game in 00 that the team as a whole looked dominant in was the 63-14 Texas win. Otherwise it was the offense early in the year and the defense late in the year that was dominant.

Actually up until the CCG (Ouch) the 03 team was as dominant as any in the history of college football. We averaged 45.5 a game and gave up 13.1 a game. @Ala was the only game we didn't win by at least 14 points. We hung half a hundred 7 times.

In 04 we were dominant overall but he had the 38-35 game with OSU, were down 14 points twice to A&M before winning by a TD and had a pretty tough game @KSU that we would up winning by 10.

What next years team could have more in common with the 03 & 04 teams is that the 0-line will be returning virtually intact with more experience. QB play is the #1 question but I think even an average QB can do better behind a great O-line than a great QB behind an average to mediocre O-line.

cjames317
1/10/2007, 11:48 AM
Maybe a comparison to the 2003 team is not out of bounds. At the beginning of that season, the only thing we knew about our QB was his bad knees and his determination to get back onto the field.

picasso
1/10/2007, 11:53 AM

1. looked less than impressive @ home against Kansas.
1A. aTm won 35-31
2. oSu won 12-7

I think the 2003 looked more dominating....until the Orange Bowl.

fixed.

SoonerStormchaser
1/10/2007, 11:56 AM
We never played USC in 2004. What are you talking about?

Desert Sapper
1/10/2007, 12:05 PM
The 2003 team looked more dominating until the CCG against K-State and the lackluster performance against LSU in the Sugar Bowl.

The 2004 team looked dominant until the GOWWDNS against suc, when we got depantsed on national TV.

Neither of those teams were as dominant as the 2000 team (anybody remember the magical October that year?). Ask Bobby Bowden how dominant we were. Or Frank Solich. Or Bill Snyder. Or Mack Brown, whose team was depantsed by us in the Cotton Bowl that year.

Stoops was consistently winning 12 games a season (and had two straight perfect regular seasons) until the idiot came along.

picasso
1/10/2007, 12:15 PM
The 2003 team looked more dominating until the CCG against K-State and the lackluster performance against LSU in the Sugar Bowl.

The 2004 team looked dominant until the GOWWDNS against suc, when we got depantsed on national TV.

Neither of those teams were as dominant as the 2000 team (anybody remember the magical October that year?). Ask Bobby Bowden how dominant we were. Or Frank Solich. Or Bill Snyder. Or Mack Brown, whose team was depantsed by us in the Cotton Bowl that year.

Stoops was consistently winning 12 games a season (and had two straight perfect regular seasons) until the idiot came along.
we had some tight games in '04. the '03 team murderized everyone except for Colorado.
I still think the '03 team was the most talented we ever had.

Desert Sapper
1/10/2007, 12:45 PM
we had some tight games in '04. the '03 team murderized everyone except for Colorado.

Alabama was a tight game in '03.

In '04 we destroyed everybody but osu and aTm, both away games.

Until the GOWWDNS, we had no reason to think the '04 team wasn't every bit as dominant as the '03 version.

I think if Tommie had come back for his senior year and DD didn't get booted, we would have been every bit as good as we were in '03.

At least the '04 team was a championship team. I hate Bill Snyder.

OUmillenium
1/10/2007, 01:09 PM
The last time was when we had 2 big things going for us...
1) A QB who could read and react against the Defense
2) A nonvanilla playbook.

Common sense ref
1/10/2007, 07:56 PM

How many times have we heard Stoops say "I think this is my best team ever or my the best defense ever! " I'm a little burnt on him saying that again!!

BASSooner
1/10/2007, 08:17 PM
How many times have we heard Stoops say "I think this is my best team ever or my the best defense ever! " I'm a little burnt on him saying that again!!
Well you can say that somewhat, it wasn't his fault. it was the coach's performance to manage the defense. However, he needs to be more involved and call plays defensively to guarantee success. I love BV, he is good a lot of the times but when things are just not right, Stoops should completely take over.

TUSooner
1/10/2007, 08:51 PM

Well... yeah... but ...

Aw hell, ME TOO !!

soonerboy_odanorth
1/10/2007, 09:11 PM
Sidebar: Why has everyone given up on Halzle and Bradford. I see comment after comment that it's going to be hard to win with a true freshman QB.

Someone enlighten me with the inside scoop.

Because all I know is that Stoops made the comment the other day that they feel pretty comfortable with the guys they have coming back.

Sounds like it will actually be decided by COMPETITION.

I like.

sooneron
1/10/2007, 10:07 PM
If I were a betting man, I would have some cashish on Sam.

8timechamps
1/11/2007, 02:10 AM

What else could (or should) he say:

"This team isn't as good as last years team, and since that team ddn't beat texas or play for a national title, there is no reason to expect us to do anything except make travel plans for the Alamo Bowl."

I'll never get tired or burnt out on him saying that.

OUAndy1807
1/11/2007, 07:04 AM
What else could (or should) he say:

"This team isn't as good as last years team, and since that team ddn't beat texas or play for a national title, there is no reason to expect us to do anything except make travel plans for the Alamo Bowl."

I'll never get tired or burnt out on him saying that.
he doesn't have to come out and bash the squad, but there's nothing wrong with saying something like " I'm excited about this team and ready to get out there and see what we can do" rather than disingenuisly(sp?) pumping them up.

Ash
1/11/2007, 07:10 AM
I've sometimes wondered if Stoops pumping up the team like he has done might be his way of issuing a challenge to them. Something to aspire to, try to live up to...

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/11/2007, 09:33 AM

In 03 we had a 5-game stretch (Fresno St, UCLA,Iowa St, Texas and Missouri) where we won by a average of 35 points a game and the MU game was the closest at 21 points. We had more that a few talking heads suggesting that we were the best college football team possibly ever. If the season ended before the CCG they might have been right.

In 04 at times we were great and we did roll in the CCG but we had big issues in the secondary and we had to pull a redshirt on Walker because our secondary was getting lit up. The team was plenty effective but we did have the consecutive weeks where we just survived.

I've recenly dubbed the games from 03 and 04 onto DVD so I've watched all of them again fairly recently and in the case of some of the games in 04 we probably were more dominant in some games than the final score indicated. Definitely the Texas game and the TT game we finished the game on the TT 1 yard line.

Still think if you stopped both seasons though through the end of the regular season it isn't that close though and even 2000 as exciting as it was with Red October being our greatest month ever, probably wasn't as impressive overall in the regular season.

Desert Sapper
1/11/2007, 10:11 AM

In 1999, he said that the team was going to work hard to live up to the high expectations of Oklahoma. He said he liked that OU had such high expectations. He was right.

In 2000, he said the team could be very good. He was right. That team won a title.

As I recall it, Stoops said the defense would be better in 2001 than it was in 2000. He was right.

I remember him saying that the 2002 team would have better production on offense than it did in 2001. I know he was right.

He said the 2003 team could be his best ever, even better than the 2000 team. He was probably right.

He said the 2004 team would be better on offense. He was right.

He said the 2005 team would have a lot of work to live up to previous years expectations. I think he was definitely right.

He said this team would have a lot of things to overcome early, but he was excited. He was right about the obstacles, and he was right to be excited.

I guess I don't get it. But I'm a Stoops Homer, so I find very little fault in the guy that won 5 RRS in a row and averaged 12 wins for 5 years (and should have won 12 this year). I hope he says this team has the potential to be very good. I'm ready for 8.

PDXsooner
1/11/2007, 11:52 AM
fan- last year i remember you going on and on about how OU and the rest of the teams in the big 12 would never be able to keep up with texas. do you still feel that way, or have you backed off that assesment somewhat? just curious.

Soonerfan1993
1/11/2007, 09:37 PM
I could careless about 2003. I care more about 2006 then 2003 because it ended in a championship something 2003 could only hope for.

It is funny seeing people pumping up a season with zero championships over a season where OU won there 7th BCS NC, beat #10, #2 and #1 in consecutive weeks, and beat #2 FSU In Florida for the national championship.

2003, gets beatdown by a decent KSU squad, and loses the title aginst LSU.

People putting up a excuse that the game was in LA is stupid, Bob Stoops won his only nc in the homestate of the school he faced.

Soonerfan1993
1/11/2007, 09:42 PM
PDX,

If you are talking about me I just listed things that the 06 OU team needed to improve on if they wanted to win the big 12 versus the 05 team.

They improved on most of them and Texas cameback to the pack the final 3 weeks of the season.

PDXsooner
1/12/2007, 01:37 AM
no, i was talking to faninama.