PDA

View Full Version : Recent graduate transfer rule is shot down

Paperclip
1/9/2007, 03:13 PM
Alan Schmadtke
Sentinel Staff Writer

January 7, 2007

KISSIMMEE -- There won't be many more Ryan Smiths, despite the protests of the nation's college athletes.

And there won't be a 12th football game among the smallest schools in Division I.

NCAA leaders erased a transfer rule they put in place a year ago and reaffirmed their 12th-game decision Saturday at the NCAA Convention at the Gaylord Palms Resort.

They chose to halt the transfers of Division I athletes who graduate before their athletic eligibility is used up and might want to go to graduate school and play sports at a different school. Presidents, faculty athletic representatives, athletic directors and conference commissioners voted 196-83 (with two abstentions), enough support to override last year's rule passage.

The override came despite overwhelming support by the NCAA's Student-Athletic Advisory Committee.

"I think a lot of coaches and athletic directors are very frightened. Fear drove the circumstances and won," said David Goldfield, a professor and faculty athletic representative from North Carolina-Charlotte. "All of us here -- coaches, athletic representatives or administrators -- are in the business of helping students fulfill their dreams, whether they're academic or athletic. This override contradicts that objective."

If so, that fear was generated by a few instances of transfers. Under legislation passed last year, graduates in football, men's and women's basketball and men's ice hockey could transfer, no strings attached, and play at another school if they had eligibility remaining.

Only 25 athletes, including Smith, took advantage of the rule. Smith transferred from Utah to Florida, following the football coach that recruited him to Utah, Urban Meyer. He's expected to start Monday's national-championship game against Ohio State.

Saturday's override means the one-time graduate transfer rule will disappear after the 2006-07 school year ends.

"We know there's discussion on both sides, but our feeling is we spend an enormous amount of dollars to recruit a student-athlete to be on our campus for four years. To have him or her go somewhere else and play after our investment, we don't really support that," said UCF Athletic Director Keith Tribble, who voted for the override.

Alan Schmadtke can be reached at [email protected].

Copyright © 2007, Orlando Sentinel

soonerloyal
1/9/2007, 03:20 PM
I'd be very interested to know who voted - for as well as against. And why.

I'm sure we'll get transparency in the NCAA as quickly as we'll get it from D.C.
I won't hold my breath.

Ike
1/9/2007, 03:25 PM
thats just sad.

again, the NCAA cares more about whats good for the schools and not whats good for student athletes.

NoUse4AName
1/9/2007, 03:29 PM
So is Matt Flynn still a possibility or does the rule change go into effect before he would be able to transfer here?

RedstickSooner
1/9/2007, 03:30 PM
This sort of thing should only be voted on by university presidents. Athletic faculty have waaaaaaaaaaay too much of a vested interest *against* the interests of the student-athlete.

What kind of a ****** must Keith Tribble be? I mean, we know that colleges see dollar signs when they look at scholarship athletes, but to come out and actually talk about them on the record as if they were chattel?

What a scumbag.

If congress wants to stick its nose where it doesn't belong, *this* seems like the sort of thing they should have hearings about.

Texas Golfer
1/9/2007, 03:34 PM
So is Matt Flynn still a possibility or does the rule change go into effect before he would be able to transfer here?

It sounds like he either plays for LSU next year or he doesn't play. But a master's program usually takes two years. If he still chose to go to OU for his post-graduate work, he'd be able to play for the Sooners the second year because he still has a year of eligibility left.

Ike
1/9/2007, 03:38 PM
Dear student athletes:

pwn3d!!!!!1111oneone

Sincerely,
The NCAA.

Fraggle145
1/9/2007, 04:30 PM
Too bad they didnt fix the fvcked up clock rules this quickly...

NorthernIowaSooner
1/9/2007, 04:43 PM
I'd be very interested to know who voted - for as well as against. And why.

I'm sure we'll get transparency in the NCAA as quickly as we'll get it from D.C.
I won't hold my breath.

im putting my money on small schools that are threatened to lose players they've developed into good players who will anchor one side of the ball for another season. these players could jump to bigger BCS conferences and show their skills to help themselves with draft status. that being said if the NCAA was really about their student athletes theyd continue to allow it on the basis of how it could help further their career

NoUse4AName
1/9/2007, 04:59 PM
im putting my money on small schools that are threatened to lose players they've developed into good players who will anchor one side of the ball for another season.

I don't think it would hurt the small schools much at all. I think it will mainly involve players from top teams going to another top team where they can have a guaranteed starting position. Great players can shine really well if they play for a smaller school as opposed to a great player riding the pine because of a greater player that steps up who is a year or two younger and takes their spot. But what do I know...

Frozen Sooner
1/9/2007, 05:42 PM
Awful decision. Simply awful. I'm usually an NCAA apologist, but this is self-serving tripe.

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/9/2007, 06:13 PM
I honestly hope Congress revokes their non-profit status!

Ike
1/9/2007, 06:22 PM
"We know there's discussion on both sides, but our feeling is we spend an enormous amount of dollars to recruit a student-athlete to be on our campus for four years. To have him or her go somewhere else and play after our investment, we don't really support that," said UCF Athletic Director Keith Tribble, who voted for the override.

the logic being used here is horrendous. Hey Keit'! if they've done graduated, you've already got all you bargained for out of your "investment".

TUSooner
1/9/2007, 10:06 PM
our feeling is we spend an enormous amount of dollars to recruit a student-athlete to be on our campus for four years. To have him or her go somewhere else and play after our investment, we don't really support that," said UCF Athletic Director Keith Tribble, who voted for the override.

Translation: "We bought them [slaves] for good money, and by gawd we gonna keep em on OUR plantation!"

TUSooner
1/9/2007, 10:09 PM
the logic being used here is horrendous. Hey Keit'! if they've done graduated, you've already got all you bargained for out of your "investment".
Exactly.

Bruiser53
1/10/2007, 12:33 AM
I honestly hope Congress revokes their non-profit status!
Is there really any question of their "non" profit status. I say take it away and then give it back once there is a playoff. That might get things moving.

kevpks
1/10/2007, 01:34 AM
While their at it, can they change those dumb clock rules back to match normal football rules? I feel like I am watching the XFL or CFL this year.

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/10/2007, 06:14 AM
If they want to keep their non profit status, I would put a cap on how much athletic directors and coaches and his staff could make. I mean the head of Red Cross probably doesn't make 4 Million dollars a year. I also think that they should be able to show at the end of the year that they have absolutely no funds left, it is all put back into something for the community or school

Frozen Sooner
1/10/2007, 11:42 AM
If they want to keep their non profit status, I would put a cap on how much athletic directors and coaches and his staff could make. I mean the head of Red Cross probably doesn't make 4 Million dollars a year. I also think that they should be able to show at the end of the year that they have absolutely no funds left, it is all put back into something for the community or school

ADs and coaches and staff aren't paid by the NCAA. That really doesn't have any relevance. Now, if you were discussing the non-profit status of the schools, that's another story.

Gandalf_The_Grey
1/10/2007, 02:12 PM
No they aren't paid by the NCAA but they are hired by the Universities who are run by the NCAA.

royalfan5
1/10/2007, 10:02 PM
No they aren't paid by the NCAA but they are hired by the Universities who are run by the NCAA.
The University's run the NCAA, not the other way around.

Frozen Sooner
1/10/2007, 11:07 PM
The NCAA does not "run" the universities and has no hiring, firing, or salary-making control of coaches. The NCAA is a regulatory body.