PDA

View Full Version : Hamilton, Peņa leaving OSU

Rhino
1/9/2007, 02:45 PM
That's too bad. Hamilton was a good little back as a frosh.

Updated: Jan. 9, 2007, 12:50 PM ET
Hamilton to transfer to Georgia Southern (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2725402)
Associated Press

STILLWATER, Okla. -- Oklahoma State sophomore running back Mike Hamilton is transferring to Division I-AA Georgia Southern after losing his starting job during the season.

Hamilton was the Big 12 Offensive Newcomer of the Year as a freshman last year and was named second-team All-Big 12 after rushing more than 900 yards.

He started seven games this season and gained 546 yards before a knee injury sidelined him and Dantrell Savage won the starting job.

Hamilton fell to third string behind Savage and freshman Keith Toston and had no carries in four of OSU's last six games and gained only 57 more yards.

The Cowboys are also losing backup quarterback Al Pena.

Pena, a junior in eligibility, is on schedule to graduate this spring and expected to either transfer or begin his coaching career under his father, a high school coach in Texas.

Also, reserve running back Calvin Roberts and walk-on receiver Zac Ross have transferred to Harding University in Arkansas.

yermom
1/9/2007, 02:59 PM
if Peña graduates he can go anywhere...

kevpks
1/9/2007, 03:06 PM
I thought he could transfer and play as a grad student.

yermom
1/9/2007, 03:07 PM
typo, sorry :)

sooner518
1/9/2007, 03:07 PM
I thought he could transfer and play as a grad student.
apparently that rule was rescinded after one year. thats what the Fox guys said last night on TV.

not like anyone would really want that guy though

RedstickSooner
1/9/2007, 03:20 PM
Isn't it a classic coachism that players don't lose their starting positions due to injury? Meaning, if you're the starter, and you're injured, once you rehab you're the starter again?

Or did the kid not fullly recover from his injury, and fall down the depth chart that way?

picasso
1/9/2007, 11:28 PM
I was wondering why he never got any more carries at the end of the year.
Savage is pretty good but you need all the help you can get.

Collier11
1/9/2007, 11:31 PM
Osu has a football team?????????

orangekaje
1/10/2007, 12:19 AM
Isn't it a classic coachism that players don't lose their starting positions due to injury? Meaning, if you're the starter, and you're injured, once you rehab you're the starter again?

Or did the kid not fullly recover from his injury, and fall down the depth chart that way?

Savage & Toston have been performing better, so they got to play the majority of the games.

goingoneight
1/10/2007, 12:49 AM
Well you've gotta leave when OSU is on the verge of winning championships! :D