PDA

View Full Version : OU - Nebraska article

OUmillenium
1/9/2007, 01:14 PM
End of an Era

http://www.collegefootballgazette.com/

deweydw
1/9/2007, 01:32 PM
back when I was kid, the family would travel up to Grove, Ok. to my great-grandmothers for thanksgiving. Get stuffed and watch OU/NU.

Good times.....

soonerboy_odanorth
1/9/2007, 02:00 PM
back when I was kid, the family would travel up to Grove, Ok. to my great-grandmothers for thanksgiving. Get stuffed and watch OU/NU.

Good times.....

Except that Tramel wrote an article earlier this year that pointed out that OU-NU actually only occurred on a scattered handful of Thanksgiving weekends in the last 20-30 years it was played annually.... It's just that some of the more thrilling ones did happen on those weekends, so that's the way they are remembered...

soonerloyal
1/9/2007, 02:08 PM
"The Game". It marked the start of the holiday season, bringing family together from all over, filling our living room with diehard fans hellbent on getting the best seats. It was as big a family tradition as carving the turkey, eating oneself comatose on leftovers, stringing the lights, trimming the tree, singing carols and kissing the new babies. Chores were scheduled around it, as was church, and weddings, and even going to the hospital due to labor.

Some of my fondest memories are inextricably tied to The Game. Even in the case of a rare defeat, nothing brought greater smiles to our faces than signs that said "GOD BLESS MRS. SELMON" "NEBRASKA SHUCKS" - or the yelling en masse of "TOUCHDOWN, OK-LAHOMAAAA!!"

Like the passing of a gentle giant beloved to all, the stillness of this respectful, great rivalry leaves us all a little poorer in its absence.

Progress isn't always all it's cracked up to be.

Raise your glasses in a toast to the goodness that was OU-NEBRASKA. Salute!