PDA

View Full Version : New widescreen iPod getting introduced...

OUstudent4life
1/9/2007, 12:48 PM
...about right now, and apparently it's a phone and an "internet communicator..." I'm guessing for chats, etc.

www.macrumors.com

:( I got a new iPod for Xmas...so you all can thank me for the introduction today :D

dolemitesooner
1/9/2007, 01:00 PM
Sweet. Now if they can make an 80 gb I will own bsg and BigRedjed

Widescreen
1/9/2007, 01:00 PM
I approve of this message.

OUstudent4life
1/9/2007, 01:03 PM
Hole.

Le.

Carp.

This thing is scary.

OUstudent4life
1/9/2007, 01:09 PM
Summary (courtesy of iLounge) of announcements so far (from a soonerfans.com resident mac-addict):

• iPhone - New Apple device combines iPod, phone, internet communicator. "Revolutionary user interface." "Years of development." Touchscreen interface -- no physical buttons. Runs Mac OS X -- Apps, syncing, networking, multi-tasking, video, etc. Everything synced -- iTunes music and videos, Mac data, email, notes, etc. Hi-res screen -- 160ppi. Thinner than any smartphone -- including Motorola Q and Samsung BlackJack. 2 megapixel camera built-in. Dock connector port, headphone jack, SIM tray, speaker. Cingular is carrier.

iPod portion of iPhone offers widescreen video, Cover Flow interface. 3-D effects. Full-screen album art. "Best iPod we've ever made." 8GB of storage. Phone portion has "visual voicemail." Excellent audio quality. Quadband GSM+EDGE. WiFi and Bluetooth 2.

• Revolutionary Products - Steve Jobs says today he is introducing three "revolutionary products" -- A widescreen iPod with touch controls, a mobile phone, a breakthrough internet communications device... All in one device.

• Apple TV - Official version of pre-announced "iTV" streaming media device. It offers 720p resolution, 40GB hard drive, 802.11 b/g/n wireless, Intel processor. Video, photo and audio content can auto-sync with one PC, streamed from up to 5 computers. Price: $299, for Mac and PC. Shipping in Februrary, taking orders today.

Hatfield
1/9/2007, 01:15 PM
yes...i finally got an ipod for christmas..so this new development came as no suprise.

of course my ipod can now play for over 3 straight days without repeating a song so there is that.

yermom
1/9/2007, 02:47 PM

welcome to like 2 months ago

and i think one of them did upgrade to the 80gb version

BlondeSoonerGirl
1/9/2007, 02:50 PM
Even if doleo did get one he'd just clog it up with crap like MCR and Fiddy Half Dookie Dollar.

What a waste of a widget....crappy-music liker.

IB4OU2
1/9/2007, 02:55 PM
welcome to like 2 months ago

and i think one of them did upgrade to the 80gb version

They probably had to.....

Ike
1/9/2007, 02:57 PM
yes...i finally got an ipod for christmas..so this new development came as no suprise.

of course my ipod can now play for over 3 straight days without repeating a song so there is that.

same here...although I got mine for my birthday (a month and a couple weeks before xmas).

and mine can play for 10 straight days without repeating a song. so there

;)

BlondeSoonerGirl
1/9/2007, 03:09 PM
I still have my old one. I want a new one, though. It's sad...I've had that thing since the week it came out and it's already considered 'old'. I can hardly find accessories for it anymore.

This new one is making me raise one eyebrow and make a very curious expression...

JohnnyMack
1/9/2007, 03:16 PM
I have a "moderate arousal level" in my pants over this thing.

OUstudent4life
1/9/2007, 03:50 PM
I wonder if they're going to release a touchscreen iPod (minus the phone) with a bigger drive...4 or 8 GB of storage = nice, but even I have more music than that, and if you want pics and videos, too?

BlondeSoonerGirl
1/9/2007, 04:00 PM
Yeah - this is like a phone + a Shuffle/Nano or something. And it won't be available until like June, right?

Boooo.

yermom
1/9/2007, 04:05 PM
June?

lame

BlondeSoonerGirl
1/9/2007, 04:08 PM
Ain't approved by the FCC yet.

Wankers.

Beef
1/9/2007, 04:18 PM
I wonder what the battery for that thing will be like. It looks like it could suck the life out of a battery pretty fast.

IB4OU2
1/9/2007, 04:20 PM
Does it vibrate too?

Jimminy Crimson
1/9/2007, 04:26 PM
I wonder what the battery for that thing will be like. It looks like it could suck the life out of a battery pretty fast.

I believe it's supposed to have dual battery cells.

yermom
1/9/2007, 04:27 PM
that's the phone though, right?

OUstudent4life
1/9/2007, 04:40 PM
yeah. not really a video iPod.

5 hour call life/16 hour music (i think i read that somewhere...)

Czar Soonerov
1/9/2007, 04:45 PM
I wonder if they're going to release a touchscreen iPod (minus the phone) with a bigger drive...4 or 8 GB of storage = nice, but even I have more music than that, and if you want pics and videos, too?

Yeah, but can you have sex on it?

:hot:

mdklatt
1/9/2007, 04:59 PM
Steve Jobs says today he is introducing three "revolutionary products" -- A widescreen iPod with touch controls, a mobile phone, a breakthrough internet communications device...

I guess I don't see anything "revolutionary" about an upgraded iPod, a mobile phone, or an internet communications device (unless it uses telepathy or something). Steve Jobs could take a dump, slap an Apple sticker on it, and people would camp outside Apple stores for a week to pay $399 for it. And from then on, anybody else who took a dump would be accused of stealing an Apple "innovation". Then, two months later, Jobs would generate even more excitement by announcing that he was planning on taking a dump that was twice as big.

yermom
1/9/2007, 05:01 PM
the phone looks pretty cool... have they mentioned a price yet?

IB4OU2
1/9/2007, 05:03 PM
I guess I don't see anything "revolutionary" about an upgraded iPod, a mobile phone, or an internet communications device (unless it uses telepathy or something). Steve Jobs could take a dump, slap an Apple sticker on it, and people would camp outside Apple stores for a week to pay $399 for it. And from then on, anybody else who took a dump would be accused of stealing an Apple "innovation". Then, two months later, Jobs would generate even more excitement by announcing that he was planning on taking a dump that was twice as big.

Then he'd be competing with our Dolemite.....good luck!

yermom
1/9/2007, 05:06 PM
the phone looks pretty cool... have they mentioned a price yet?

The phone will be offered exclusively through Cingular in the US in June, and will come to Europe in Q4 2007, and Asia in 2008. A 4 GB model will be offered for $499 with a 2 year contract, and an 8 GB model will fetch $599 with similar contract provisions. The phone can be purchased through Cingular's website or via the Apple Store.

ouch.

it basically runs OSX though, that with EDGE and WiFi are pretty cool, i'd imagine it would share a connection with a MacBook pretty easily

soonerboomer93
1/9/2007, 06:07 PM
they also don't even own the name iPhone so they name might change.

currently iPhone is an internet telecommunication device from cisco (per msn)

mdklatt
1/9/2007, 06:22 PM
they also don't even own the name iPhone so they name might change.

currently iPhone is an internet telecommunication device from cisco (per msn)

I'm going to trademark the following names and wait for Apple to eventually have to buy them from me:

iStove: It cooks your food...and plays music and video!
iWatch: It tells you what time it is...and plays music and video!
iLamp: It lights up...and plays music and video!
iWallet: It holds your money...and plays music and video!
iPurse: It carries your lipstick and tampons...and plays music and video!
iGauge: It tells you how much air is in your tires...and plays music and video!
i******: It makes you feel fresh...and plays music and video!
iOpener: It opens your envelopes...and plays music and video!
iLever: It's a simple machine...and plays music and video!

Didn't Apple recently try to trademark iEverything, as in the "iProduct" name construct?

Ike
1/9/2007, 06:24 PM
I'm going to trademark the following names and wait for Apple to eventually have to buy them from me:

iStove: It cooks your food...and plays music and video!
iWatch: It tells you what time it is...and plays music and video!
iLamp: It lights up...and plays music and video!
iWallet: It holds your money...and plays music and video!
iPurse: It carries your lipstick and tampons...and plays music and video!
iGauge: It tells you how much air is in your tires...and plays music and video!
i******: It makes you feel fresh...and plays music and video!
iOpener: It opens your envelopes...and plays music and video!
iLever: It's a simple machine...and plays music and video!

Didn't Apple recently try to trademark iEverything?

iRobot anyone?

sooneron
1/10/2007, 10:52 PM
Uh, this thing is the fuggin shiznit. I'm watching Jobs introduction as I type.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/

soonerboomer93
1/10/2007, 11:01 PM
i'm not really interested it

oh, and Apple is officially being sued over the name by Cisco

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/3925538a28.html

Frozen Sooner
1/10/2007, 11:05 PM
Meh. Cisco is making a power play. They were already in negotiations to sell the trademark to Apple.

That thing is cool, but without a ton more memory, I ain't buying it. I wonder how that'll work on a plane when they tell you to turn your cell phone off.

hurricane'bone
1/10/2007, 11:07 PM
Probably the same way smart phones do.

You turn the phone part off and leave the rest on.

sooneron
1/10/2007, 11:08 PM
Yeah, they're going to need a 15 gig to get me to bite. The biggest issue is that they wanted in on the GSM network. The trouble with that is, they are partnered with Cingular. According to Consumer reports, Cingular is not even close to Verizon in every major US city.

Frozen Sooner
1/10/2007, 11:10 PM
Probably the same way smart phones do.

You turn the phone part off and leave the rest on.

Ah. Didn't know you could do that.

yermom
1/10/2007, 11:13 PM
Yeah, they're going to need a 15 gig to get me to bite. The biggest issue is that they wanted in on the GSM network. The trouble with that is, they are partnered with Cingular. According to Consumer reports, Cingular is not even close to Verizon in every major US city.

it's going to take some advances in Flash RAM for that, i'd imagine. i don't see anything bigger than 8GB in anything using Flash right now

Apple is usually only a hair behind the hardware limitations from what i hear, like that is when the iPod drives get bigger, when Hitachi can start mass-producing the drives they need

sooneron
1/10/2007, 11:13 PM
I don't know if you can turn off the phone feature. It works pretty much like a computer - Sleep/wake.

Frozen Sooner
1/10/2007, 11:14 PM
it's going to take some advances in Flash RAM for that, i'd imagine. i don't see anything bigger than 8GB in anything using Flash right now

Apple is usually only a hair behind the hardware limitations from what i hear, like that is when the iPod drives get bigger, when Hitachi can start mass-producing the drives they need

Yeah, I know, but I still ain't buying one until I can get 30gb or so on it.

yermom
1/10/2007, 11:14 PM
my Blackberry has that feature to turn off the "radio"

i'd hope that the $500-600 iPhone can do that

sooneron
1/10/2007, 11:17 PM

It can do that. I didn't see Steve turn anything off as far as the phone was concerned. You turn the thing on - wake and select the phone icon. I would assume that the moment you turn the thing on, the phone is on.

sooneron
1/10/2007, 11:18 PM

Oh, and your blackberry just got it's *** pwned by this thing.

yermom
1/10/2007, 11:21 PM
my Blackberry sucks

it's like the 4 year old crappy version, and it's Nextel on top of that

sooneron
1/10/2007, 11:25 PM
I need to simma down about this. My contract is up and I need a new phone. Should I go to verizon with it's proven service or hold out for the toy that all the kids will want on the morning commuter train?

soonerboomer93
1/10/2007, 11:28 PM
Meh. Cisco is making a power play. They were already in negotiations to sell the trademark to Apple.

That thing is cool, but without a ton more memory, I ain't buying it. I wonder how that'll work on a plane when they tell you to turn your cell phone off.

Yes and no. All Apple had to do was sign the final agreement before introduction of the product.

soonerboomer93
1/10/2007, 11:31 PM
with that size of memory, along with the talk time/ music time well, i'm just not that impressed

hurricane'bone
1/10/2007, 11:44 PM
I need to simma down about this. My contract is up and I need a new phone. Should I go to verizon with it's proven service or hold out for the toy that all the kids will want on the morning commuter train?

the thing hasn't even undergone FCC testing...it's probably going to be a while.

hurricane'bone
1/10/2007, 11:48 PM
And it looks like its going to be EDGE and not 3G

succ

BigRedJed
1/11/2007, 12:21 AM
Nope. Only 8 GB. You'll need 72 more to even equal the space I've got. The good news is you'll have almost half as much space as Tiny has on his iPod.

BigRedJed
1/11/2007, 12:23 AM
Oh, and by you're post I'm guessing you think I'm still using the 60. I bought an 80GB several months ago. So, when you factor in the 60 that I still own, plus the 1 GB Shuffle I bought, I have 141GB.

Or 121 more than yermom, if you want to look at it that way.

BigRedJed
1/11/2007, 12:24 AM
Which works out to a little more than 600% of yermom's storage space.

Czar Soonerov
1/11/2007, 12:42 AM
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate/detail?blogid=19&entry_id=12482

Apple iPhone requires two-year Cingular plan and Cisco's iPhone

We spoke with Cingular and confirmed that Apple's new iPhone will require a two-year cell phone plan and will not be sold without it. In addition, users will likely want to sign up for a data plan to use the iPhone's Internet features; current data plans (which are likely to be adjusted when the iPhone is rolled out) range from $9.99 a month to $39.99 a month. Users can also access the Internet tools if they have wireless Internet access.

On another iPhone note, here is Cisco's statement on Apple using the iPhone name. Cisco already had the rights to the iPhone name, having just launched a family of Internet phones, called the iPhone, last month, and which are on display at the Consumer Electronics Show.

SAN JOSE Calif., January 9, 2007 - Given Apple's numerous requests for permission to use Cisco's iPhone trademark over the past several years and our extensive discussions with them recently, it is our belief that with their announcement today, Apple intends to agree to the final document and public statement that were distributed to them last night and that addressed a few remaining items. We expect to receive a signed agreement today.

Apple said that Cisco has the rights to the iPhone name for Internet telephones, but that Apple is using the iPhone name as it applies to the cell phone.

Posted By: Ellen Lee (Email) | January 09 2007 at 02:30 PM

Listed Under: Apple, Macworld 2007 | Comments (3) : Post Comment

sooneron
1/11/2007, 10:05 AM
with that size of memory, along with the talk time/ music time well, i'm just not that impressed
Yeah, except for that real internet thing and a better way to send and receive e-mail.

I don't think this is meant to replace the ipod, but to supplement it, like the shuffle.

I can use my 80g ipod for trips etc when I feel like I need 5k songs or more, but this would work just fine for the daily train commute.

OUstudent4life
1/11/2007, 11:11 AM
I'm betting they add 3G support in the second version.

JohnnyMack
1/11/2007, 11:21 AM
I'm betting they add 3G support in the second version.

I was thinking the same thing. They're not going to give you everything with the initial rollout. When it goes 3G and they expand to 16 or 32 gigs worth of storage and get all the bugs and kinks worked out, I'm so getting one of these.

Early adopters will devour this thing, smart consumers will get the polished up 2nd version and I suspect they'll be happy.

yermom
1/11/2007, 12:10 PM
EDGE is about as close as we can get to 3G here anyway isn't it?