PDA

View Full Version : The Bowl system has lost all value

8timechamps
1/9/2007, 11:31 AM
Not only did more D1 teams play in a bowl than didn't (66 to 55, or in that neighborhood). But, when the GMAC bowl is that second to last bowl game, you know there is no value in the bowls anymore.

Not to mention the addition of the International Bowl in Canada...

sjt
1/9/2007, 11:40 AM
Pretty soon it's going to be like pee-wee sports. Everyone gets a trophy just for participating!!!

sanantoniosooner
1/9/2007, 11:43 AM
I enjoyed a lot of bowl games this year.
http://picturebook.chattablogs.com/archives/images/06_02_11.jpg

8timechamps
1/9/2007, 11:44 AM
Pretty soon it's going to be like pee-wee sports. Everyone gets a trophy just for participating!!!

Isn't it already like that? 6-6 teams getting "rewarded" for being average.

sjt
1/9/2007, 11:46 AM
Pretty close..now we just need some parents brawling in the parking lot.

jacru
1/9/2007, 11:54 AM
define value.
The teams, fans, sponsors, and hosts seem to find value in it.

Next month I'll be pining to watch even peewee football.

sanantoniosooner
1/9/2007, 11:57 AM
define value.
The teams, fans, sponsors, and hosts seem to find value in it.

Next month I'll be pining to watch even peewee football.
Exactly. Sushi has no value to me.

That doesn't stop a buttload of people from eating the crap.

TUSooner
1/9/2007, 12:35 PM
Not only did more D1 teams play in a bowl than didn't (66 to 55, or in that neighborhood). But, when the GMAC bowl is that second to last bowl game, you know there is no value in the bowls anymore.

Not to mention the addition of the International Bowl in Canada...

What is "value"? It's something we impute to things. Or more often -- <Zen alert> -- it's something we ignore, like the "value" of breathing, or the "value" of a kiss or a cold starry winter night -- <end Zen alert> .

I value a college football game, in Canada, between two teams going nowehere but home, more than I value Game 7 of the NBA Championship Series... Grasshopper. ;)

8timechamps
1/9/2007, 01:07 PM
The "value" I speak of is that of years gone by. You know, when you would put the little TV on top of the big one in your living room on New Year's day so that you could watch the Sun Bowl while watching the Bluebonnett Bowl.

When a Bowl game was a reward for a good (if not great) season. To me, the value was watching Bowl games that were two good teams being rewarded for that, and not a Bowl game played in Salisaw between the 8th ranked MAC team and the 7th ranked SWAC team.

My point being that the powers that be have used the "we don't want to lose the valuable bowl system in lieu of a playoff" obviously don't realize that the value has been lost.

Remember when a New Year's Day games were reserved for the really good teams, the champions of their respective conferences? Now, we've got two mediocre teams playing in the GMAC Bowl on January 7th.

The bottom line is that I've lost all respect (not that there was much there) for the argument that a playoff system would destroy the "value of the current bowl structure".

sanantoniosooner
1/9/2007, 01:15 PM
2 games are in the wrong place and 6-6 teams are playing.

I can get with you on those topics. But I don't perceive it to be the craphole you make it.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/9/2007, 01:31 PM
What is "value"? It's something we impute to things.
I value a college football game, in Canada, between two teams going nowehere but home, more than I value Game 7 of the NBA Championship Series, and absolutely ANY motor sports event, soccer and hockey... Grasshopper. ;)Fixed for me.