PDA

View Full Version : Why does everyone say that a playoff won't happen because of $$$?

achiro
1/9/2007, 11:19 AM
If done correctly it could actually make more cash. You could use the same bowl system. Let the teams that don't make the playoffs play the lesser bowls, no different than now. Then use the BSC bowls as the playoffs. You change a few dates around but the games still get played with the same sponsors etc. More money because if a team like OU or tOSU that has a great travelling fan base, they sell more tickets. If an underdog continues to do well the attention will fill the seats as well.
Anyway just my 2 cents.

8timechamps
1/9/2007, 11:21 AM
The $$$ excuse is just that....an excuse. There's got to be a "real" reason university presidents are so against it.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/9/2007, 12:29 PM
i can't find the big 12 version of the ncaa basketball revenue sharing, but i believe if OU made the final 4 our payout was only $500,000. peanuts compared with a BCS game.

Partial Qualifier
1/9/2007, 12:33 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the NCAA would have to be involved with a Tournament or Playoff... as it stands now, the conferences have total control of the $$ and stand lose at least some of that control if the NCAA is involved.. am I wrong?

SunDevilSooner
1/9/2007, 12:38 PM
Here's why:

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug=jo-delany010507&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

jthomas666
1/9/2007, 01:19 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the NCAA would have to be involved with a Tournament or Playoff... as it stands now, the conferences have total control of the $$ and stand lose at least some of that control if the NCAA is involved.. am I wrong?That's a MAJOR reason. If an SEC team is in a bowl with a $10 million payout, that school gets $5 million, and the other 5 is split between the other 11 schools. If a conference gets several teams into bowl games, you're talking about a LOT of cash. Even schools that didn't make it into a bowl game can clear $1-2 million, and the NCAA doesn't get a dime of it.

If they went with a relatively small playoff (I think a 4 team playoff is fine, if you select those 4 after the bowl games), then you could still have all the bowl games, the conferences get their payday, and then have three additional playoff games, w/ the NCAA distributing that money.

Scott D
1/9/2007, 01:22 PM
Money isn't the primary reason a playoff won't happen.

This (http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/rmelick.ssf?/base/sports/1168337702231690.xml&coll=2) is a big reason also.

OklahomaTuba
1/9/2007, 01:33 PM
We have a playoff. It happened last night with two teams.

Its not hard to expand it to two more teams IMO. And it would make those two other bowl game a hell of a lot more interesting to watch.