PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations Florida!

Jason White's Third Knee
1/9/2007, 10:45 AM
That was the finest display of egotism and jackass-manship I have seen in recent memory. While I had no particular aversion to your team prior to the game, I do now. Your chest pounding, scowling, and general poor demeanor after your victory was pathetic and less than champion-like. I used to compare Florida and Miami in proximity only. Now I can lump you both in the same pile of wanna be gangsters lacking any semblance of character. I was very impressed with the fire that your team showed on the field and that positive emotion was doused in a matter of minutes watching you ignoramuses take the low road after winning a game that should have put a smile on your face. I am sure there will be no shortage of highschool kids that soaked all of that up, wanting to be just like you. Now, give all of that glory that you displayed to God. I am sure he’ll appreciate it for the great gift that it is. A bunch of tool bags acting like complete jerks after winning a football game... that’s glory alright.

tbl
1/9/2007, 10:49 AM
I don't understand...

batonrougesooner
1/9/2007, 10:51 AM
I guess I wasn't paying enough attention after the game.

Didn't notice what you are referring to.

GulfCoastBamaFan
1/9/2007, 11:02 AM
I did.

It's not just a problem in Florida, either. It's getting to be a problem all over the country. Even players on bad teams will jump up and pound their chests, even if they're losing 3578 to 3.

The only people who can do something about it are the coaches.

batonrougesooner
1/9/2007, 11:03 AM
Share some details.

tbl
1/9/2007, 11:04 AM
They won... They were excited... The entire nation had discounted them. I still don't get what was so classless...

Jason White's Third Knee
1/9/2007, 11:34 AM
They didn't seem happy at all. I felt like I was being yelled at for waiting for the outcome of the game and not just declaring Florida the winner before they had played. They completely dogged tOSU after whipping their ***. They weren't respectful to their opponant.

I'll try to find some quotes.

sooner518
1/9/2007, 11:46 AM
Even players on bad teams will jump up and pound their chests, even if they're losing 3578 to 3.

geez I'd like to see a replay of that game :D

picasso
1/9/2007, 11:52 AM
I turned the channel as the first player was interviewed.

it's bad everywhere that the coach allows it to be. kids have definitely gotten worse.

I never had the nerve to talk smack when I played sports. oh well.

Collier11
1/9/2007, 12:07 PM
That was the finest display of egotism and jackass-manship I have seen in recent memory. While I had no particular aversion to your team prior to the game, I do now. Your chest pounding, scowling, and general poor demeanor after your victory was pathetic and less than champion-like. I used to compare Florida and Miami in proximity only. Now I can lump you both in the same pile of wanna be gangsters lacking any semblance of character. I was very impressed with the fire that your team showed on the field and that positive emotion was doused in a matter of minutes watching you ignoramuses take the low road after winning a game that should have put a smile on your face. I am sure there will be no shortage of highschool kids that soaked all of that up, wanting to be just like you. Now, give all of that glory that you displayed to God. I am sure he’ll appreciate it for the great gift that it is. A bunch of tool bags acting like complete jerks after winning a football game... that’s glory alright.

How do you figure...I didnt see anything tht looked like "gangsta"

birddog
1/9/2007, 12:10 PM
me neither. i'll wait for some quotes. all i remember in the interviews were gator players saying they felt disrespected, which is what EVERYONE says after an upset victory.

GulfCoastBamaFan
1/9/2007, 12:32 PM
I didn't watch any of the postgame festivities.

What I saw was mostly on the sidelines and after lots of plays, especially in the second half. I don't have any specific examples. I just got the distinct impression that "sportsmanship" was not on the menu because of the "disrespect" thing.

I am glad Florida won because I knew what that defense was capable of doing and it finally shut up that incessant Big 10 blah blah from the media. I just wish they could have done it in a classier fashion that proved them worthy of the respect.

You should "act like you've been there before."

Collier11
1/9/2007, 12:36 PM
Again, examples. I saw some rowdiness on both sides of the ball all night, but that happens. I didnt see any cheap shots, any taunting, or any bad behavior other than what we see in any game we watch???

TUSooner
1/9/2007, 12:43 PM

It's all Muhammad Ali's fault.

sooner45
1/9/2007, 12:53 PM
They didn't seem happy at all. I felt like I was being yelled at for waiting for the outcome of the game and not just declaring Florida the winner before they had played. They completely dogged tOSU after whipping their ***. They weren't respectful to their opponant.

I'll try to find some quotes.

Still waiting on quotes. I'm not exactly sure what you are talking about either? I didnt see a classless team, I saw a team that was overjoyed and excited becuse they did what everyone thought they couldnt do, remind you of anyone??? (2000 Sooners)

ouwapiti
1/9/2007, 12:54 PM
all the chest pounding, 'look at me stuff' is infuriating, sickening and disgusting..........there is very little true sportsmanship left today in any sport...the powers that be, evidently, think its entertainment so they allow it to continue..until they start to penalize all this crap it will continue....had i been refereeing the usc/mich game there would have been a bunch of unsportsmanlike penalties on the 'condoms'.................picasso, i also immediately change the channel when they start interviewing players

Collier11
1/9/2007, 12:57 PM
havent heard anything that constitutes classless yet???

flopshotjoe99
1/9/2007, 01:20 PM
kids having fun, there was no blatant "dissrespect" being thrown around unless of course your talking about ESPN during the weeks leading up to the soon to be OSU clinic against Florida.;)

TopDawg
1/9/2007, 01:27 PM
Torrance Marshall disrespected Chris Weinke before the Orange Bowl and just about everybody here thought it was awesome.

RacerX
1/9/2007, 01:33 PM
Torrance Marshall disrespected Chris Weinke before the Orange Bowl and just about everybody here thought it was awesome.

It was.

OK2LA
1/9/2007, 01:35 PM
Guys.

We're talking about FOOTBALL. Not Tennis, or Golf.

Let's refresh our memories on what football is about. Physically BEATING the other team. HITTING. BLOCKING.

Who's faster? It's a contest to see who is better.

Football is a physical game. You are literally hitting the guys across from you.

Have any of you played football before? I'm guessing if you're a red blooded american male, the answer should be YES. Even if it was a backyard game, you have to remember tempers flaring. (and this was probably with your friends)

Guys - come on. I think you're wanting all of these guys to act the way YOU want them to act. You want Chad Johnson to flip the ball to the official like Ladanian Tomilnson. They're not all robots. They're not all the same. Just like you and I aren't the same.

You can't expect everyone to act the way that YOU want them to. I'm not saying that I enjoy a "sack dance" - especially when they're losing. But most of us have no idea how hard these guys work to try to "test" themselves against the best of the best - and in this case - it's in the biggest game of their careers. Again - most of us have no idea what kind of feelings these guys have, and NEVER will.

It's easy to say what you'd do IF you were in the same position, but most of us WILL NEVER be there.

OK2LA
1/9/2007, 01:36 PM
It was.

Awesome or Disrespectful? :D

jccouger
1/9/2007, 01:38 PM

Great point.

Flordia did nothing wrong. They deserved to celebrate.

You all are a bunch of whiney babies.

TopDawg
1/9/2007, 01:39 PM
It was.

Well, yeah, of course. I loved it. And that's why I try not to cry foul too loudly when other people do it.

jwlynn64
1/9/2007, 01:47 PM
The quote I heard was a Florida player saying that OSU was a terrible team that many teams in the SEC would have beaten.

He must not have ever had a bad game or his teams must have never lost a game because they came out flat. Also, he must have forgotten that Wisconsin beat Arkansas.

I also head a quote where they were talking about how slow the Ohio state players were.

Pretty classless to me.

RacerX
1/9/2007, 01:50 PM
Why did that guy have a chain/necklace around his neck? What was that all about?

ouwapiti
1/9/2007, 01:58 PM
topdawg you're exactly right.....however, from what i can discern about the people on this board is that most of them are relatively young....hence, they have grown up with all this nonsense and really dont know anything different..its not their fault either... its the supposed 'adults' that let this behavior permeate just about every nook and cranny of our society ...to the best of my knowledge the whole problem goes back to mark gastineau and that era...cant really recall anyone else during that time period right now.....lawrence taylor maybe....billy 'whiteshoes' johnson does come to mind though........its all a product of what our society will tolerate and accept as rational behavior....what ever happened to humility and respect for other's feelings?????????...ok, i'm off my soapbox !!!!haha

Jason White's Third Knee
1/9/2007, 02:56 PM
Still waiting on quotes. I'm not exactly sure what you are talking about either? I didnt see a classless team, I saw a team that was overjoyed and excited becuse they did what everyone thought they couldnt do, remind you of anyone??? (2000 Sooners)

Didn't realize I had a captive audience. I've been busy. I'll start looking now.

PhilTLL
1/9/2007, 02:57 PM
I tried to read this thread and half the posts came back "Waaaaaah, if Muhammad Ali would just have stood his station in life we could all hug and kiss after football games like back in the 1930's." It's football. It isn't divorce court, the boardroom, the line at Wal-Mart, or any other situation requiring normal, everyday decorum. As long as none of them get gunned down after the game, you know, in the situations that actually call for "class" and "being the bigger man" and "not celebrating after you win a game no one thought you would", I don't care. Some of you are acting like a Gator stood atop Troy Smith and **** on his chest, or somesuch.

And hey, to paraphrase a guy from Arkansas very popular around these parts, if you don't want to feel bad afterwards, try playing some winning football.

Collier11
1/9/2007, 03:10 PM
Longar Longar should never play again, he is a meany............

........................................... OH sorry, wrong thread!

birddog
1/9/2007, 03:11 PM
i saw one quote by jarvis moss that said he thought fla. had played 4 or 5 teams that were much better than tOSU.

i'll try to find the article.

http://gazette.com/display.php?id=1328616&secid=3

Jason White's Third Knee
1/9/2007, 03:13 PM
"Honestly, we've played a lot better teams than them," Florida defensive end Jarvis Moss said. "I could name four or five teams in the SEC that could probably compete with them and play the same type of game we did against them."

That's a nice one.

Jason White's Third Knee
1/9/2007, 03:15 PM
I tried to read this thread and half the posts came back "Waaaaaah, if Muhammad Ali would just have stood his station in life we could all hug and kiss after football games like back in the 1930's." It's football. It isn't divorce court, the boardroom, the line at Wal-Mart, or any other situation requiring normal, everyday decorum. As long as none of them get gunned down after the game, you know, in the situations that actually call for "class" and "being the bigger man" and "not celebrating after you win a game no one thought you would", I don't care. Some of you are acting like a Gator stood atop Troy Smith and **** on his chest, or somesuch.

And hey, to paraphrase a guy from Arkansas very popular around these parts, if you don't want to feel bad afterwards, try playing some winning football.

So, what you are saying is, when you play sports you are a complete ***?

Collier11
1/9/2007, 03:16 PM
Is that classless or just honesty. If he really feels like that what is wrong with that. Everyone thought the Big 10 was overrated all year and maybe Florida just proved it to a larger degree

Collier11
1/9/2007, 03:17 PM
How is that any different than Trent Smith saying that Burn orange makes him puke, thats just telling it like it is right?

Jason White's Third Knee
1/9/2007, 03:19 PM
Hitting Youtube for post game jackassiness. Stand by.

Jason White's Third Knee
1/9/2007, 03:23 PM
How is that any different than Trent Smith saying that Burn orange makes him puke, thats just telling it like it is right?

The quote is pretty tame, but add in the smug demeanor of the speaker to grasp the meaning. Most of my disappointment was watching the antics after the game. Until the post game, I had no opinion other than WOW, their D line is great.

Collier11
1/9/2007, 03:26 PM
Dont get me wrong, I agree that some players cross the line these days but if they are celebrating amongst teammates and fans what is wrong with that. And if a jackazz commentator asks someone how the feel about the team they just whipped then I think it is kind of refreshing to get a athlete that will be honest about his feelings rather than the usual "they played hard and are a great team". I wanna know how they really feel but maybe thats just me?

sanantoniosooner
1/9/2007, 03:26 PM
Longar Longar should never play again, he is a meany............

........................................... OH sorry, wrong thread!
That and the Godbold nutstomp don't count.

That's basketball.

Desert Sapper
1/9/2007, 03:31 PM
I must admit that I am still ****ed about Leinart's comments after the GOWWDNS. I think the comment about several teams in the SEC being better than tosu is just part of the mantra from down here. Everybody in the southeast (that isn't an ACC fan) thinks the SEC is the greatest conference in the country and that it doesn't get the respect it deserves from the media. Allbarn getting left out in 2004 and the results of the Sugar and BCS Championship Bowls this year would support that. Florida redeemed their team, sure, but they also redeemed the whole southeast (which out here is just 'the south'). I'm pretty sure the 'classless' comments are just comments coming from kids who felt they were disrespected severely by the media going into the game and proved they were the best in the country. Get over it.

BTW, it wasn't Ali that invented unsportsmanship by athletes. As long as there have been men competing with all of their mind, body, and soul for something against other men, taunting and emotional outbursts have existed. I'm not sure it's any less sportsmanlike when it's captured on film.

I think it would be smart for coaches to teach their players to maintain their sportsmanship at all times, on and off camera. I think it would be good for the NCAA and NFL to team up to create the Sportsmanship Police to penalize teams that don't follow sportsmanship guidelines. Take a scholarship every time somebody mouths off about X team after the game or after every fat non-starting D-Tackle dances on the bench or everytime a player flips a bird to the crowd. After all, not everybody can be Jacob Guttierez. Some just have to be Terrell Owens. It's time to mold everybody into Gute.

Jason White's Third Knee
1/9/2007, 03:32 PM
Dont get me wrong, I agree that some players cross the line these days but if they are celebrating amongst teammates and fans what is wrong with that. And if a jackazz commentator asks someone how the feel about the team they just whipped then I think it is kind of refreshing to get a athlete that will be honest about his feelings rather than the usual "they played hard and are a great team". I wanna know how they really feel but maybe thats just me?

The thing is... and this is killing me cause i can't find **** on youtube... some of the players weren't celebrating at all. They were hunting down the tv cameras so that they could yell at the viewers and pound their chests. It was hostile. Completely uncool IMHO.

Jason White's Third Knee
1/9/2007, 03:36 PM
I must admit that I am still ****ed about Leinart's comments after the GOWWDNS. I think the comment about several teams in the SEC being better than tosu is just part of the mantra from down here. Everybody in the southeast (that isn't an ACC fan) thinks the SEC is the greatest conference in the country and that it doesn't get the respect it deserves from the media. Allbarn getting left out in 2004 and the results of the Sugar and BCS Championship Bowls this year would support that. Florida redeemed their team, sure, but they also redeemed the whole southeast (which out here is just 'the south'). I'm pretty sure the 'classless' comments are just comments coming from kids who felt they were disrespected severely by the media going into the game and proved they were the best in the country. Get over it.

BTW, it wasn't Ali that invented unsportsmanship by athletes. As long as there have been men competing with all of their mind, body, and soul for something against other men, taunting and emotional outbursts have existed. I'm not sure it's any less sportsmanlike when it's captured on film.

I think it would be smart for coaches to teach their players to maintain their sportsmanship at all times, on and off camera. I think it would be good for the NCAA and NFL to team up to create the Sportsmanship Police to penalize teams that don't follow sportsmanship guidelines. Take a scholarship every time somebody mouths off about X team after the game or after every fat non-starting D-Tackle dances on the bench or everytime a player flips a bird to the crowd. After all, not everybody can be Jacob Guttierez. Some just have to be Terrell Owens. It's time to mold everybody into Gute.

You forgot the :rolleyes: .

Desert Sapper
1/9/2007, 03:38 PM
You forgot the :rolleyes: .

Oops. I forgot that sarcasm necessitates a special smiley. :rolleyes:

TopDawg
1/9/2007, 03:39 PM
some of the players weren't celebrating at all. They were hunting down the tv cameras so that they could yell at the viewers and pound their chests.

One man's celebration........

OK2LA
1/9/2007, 04:04 PM
The quote I heard was a Florida player saying that OSU was a terrible team that many teams in the SEC would have beaten.

He must not have ever had a bad game or his teams must have never lost a game because they came out flat. Also, he must have forgotten that Wisconsin beat Arkansas.

I also head a quote where they were talking about how slow the Ohio state players were.

Pretty classless to me.

I would agree that they probably couldn't hang with several of the SEC teams the way that they played last night.

I also agree that the ohio state players were slow.

I might not say that on t.v., and I know that the coach wouldn't, but he's getting paid to do his job - those kids - and they are KIDS - just got done playing an emotional game - you don't think that they're going to be emotional?

One thing that escapes me though - I don't remember anyone posting how upset they were about Florida being "disrespected" BEFORE the game was played, and everyone telling them that they didn't have a chance.

That could also be construed as "classless"

You tell that to a kid for over a month, and you're lucky if the kid doesn't have something to say about it after he just whipped the "big bully" that he supposedly didn't have a chance against.

jwlynn64
1/9/2007, 04:16 PM
Kids my ***. A half century ago, those kids would have grown up jobs and kids of their own by now. When did being a kid get extended into your 20s?

Also, I have a 28 month old but I would expect him to have better conduct after his first salty peanut game (five year olds for those from a different area).

And for the record, I define classless as describing a team that went undefeated in a legitimate conference as not very good and slow.

The F-Tard that made those statements might have felt wronged in the media but unless he has quotes from the opposing teams disrepecting his conference and school, he should take the high ground and just mention that tOSU must have had an off night (which is probably what really happened.)

Yesterday, Florida was better than tOSU. The same game played next week might have a different result.

OK2LA
1/9/2007, 07:57 PM
. . . . he should take the high ground and just mention that tOSU must have had an off night .

You had me up to this point.

SoonerGators
1/9/2007, 10:49 PM

First of all, I'm a Florida fan so of course I find fault with what you say.

However, on as objective a level as I can be...what in the world are you talking about?? Dumbest post I've seen in a while that has nothing to do with the state of OU.

FrostySooner
1/9/2007, 11:03 PM
I don't have any comment on this. I can admit that there have been times in the past where Sooner players have done some of the same things and I am a die-hard fan. There is celebration and then there is going overboard with your celebration and, at times, I have seen all college athletes go overboard.

If we would have won the Championship game this year and our players beat on their chest and may have acted a little obnoxious, this thread would have been about how great it was to see OUr players get the win and celebrate their National Championship. There should be no double standard in athletics.

opksooner
1/9/2007, 11:42 PM
I was always very modest after a game.

....and with very good reason.

MamaMia
1/9/2007, 11:44 PM
What would Miss Manners say? :D

Dear Miss Manners,
Some of my pals are dismayed over what they feel was a pounding of the chest type display of behavior on the part of the Florida Gators football team, due to their victory last evening over the Ohio State Buckeyes for the National Championship.

Is there any post game proper football etiquette that a team should follow on such an occasion?
Should the coach give certain instruction in this area, and if so, what?

Thank you,
College football lover, MamaMia

[email protected]

starclassic tama
1/10/2007, 11:43 AM
players jumping up after and pounding their chest after making a big play? whats the big deal? football is a game of adrenaline. this "classy" stuff gets old sometimes, football is not really a game of "class", thats tennis. the only stuff i consider classless are late hits.

sanantoniosooner
1/10/2007, 11:44 AM
Believe me, I prefer classy, but it's the exception to the rule these days.

jwlynn64
1/10/2007, 12:01 PM
We're not talking about actions on the field of play but comments and actions after the game.

picasso
1/10/2007, 12:02 PM
I don't have any comment on this. I can admit that there have been times in the past where Sooner players have done some of the same things and I am a die-hard fan. There is celebration and then there is going overboard with your celebration and, at times, I have seen all college athletes go overboard.

If we would have won the Championship game this year and our players beat on their chest and may have acted a little obnoxious, this thread would have been about how great it was to see OUr players get the win and celebrate their National Championship. There should be no double standard in athletics.
not much under Stoops. and zero if he sees it.

Luthor
1/10/2007, 12:15 PM
Oh geeze, I thought you were talking about Urban Meyer the whole time. He certainly fits all those descriptions of egomaniacal, head couldn't fit through a garage door, acts like he's 6'-7", 375 lbs and could round house kick Chuck Norris in the face.

Personally, I think the man is Mike Leach with better athletes.

picasso
1/10/2007, 12:17 PM
hey if you grew up with the name Urban you'd be a tough guy too.

OK2LA
1/10/2007, 12:57 PM

Frosty - forgive me if I misunderstood you, but I think this would qualify as a comment.:D

Jason White's Third Knee
1/10/2007, 04:13 PM
First of all, I'm a Florida fan so of course I find fault with what you say.

However, on as objective a level as I can be...what in the world are you talking about?? Dumbest post I've seen in a while that has nothing to do with the state of OU.

Dumbest? Man, I used good grammar, spelling, big words and everything. You have super high standards, Mr. Gatorman.

I think what a lot of you might be thinking of is that I am slamming Chris Leek or something. No. How could I slam a guy that looks like a cross between Tiger Woods and Bambi? He's named after a vegetable for god's sake! Tim Tebow has a very commercial name too. No it's not him.

Florida played lights out. I thought they played well above their typical level of play. It was very impressive. The media might have given the advantage to tOSU, but please, we all know who fed the players the line that they weren't good enough to play against tOSU. Urban Meyer. Who got to hear about it in a post game televised tyrade? Me. I thought I was gonna be prison raped.

OK2LA
1/10/2007, 04:39 PM
Dumbest? Man, I used good grammar, spelling, big words and everything. You have super high standards, Mr. Gatorman.

I think what a lot of you might be thinking of is that I am slamming Chris Leek or something. No. How could I slam a guy that looks like a cross between Tiger Woods and Bambi? He's named after a vegetable for god's sake! Tim Tebow has a very commercial name too. No it's not him.

Florida played lights out. I thought they played well above their typical level of play. It was very impressive. The media might have given the advantage to tOSU, but please, we all know who fed the players the line that they weren't good enough to play against tOSU. Urban Meyer. Who got to hear about it in a post game televised tyrade? Me. I thought I was gonna be prison raped.

RACIST!

Jason White's Third Knee
1/10/2007, 04:48 PM
RACIST!

I don't like to admit things like that, but yes, I do hate racing.