PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Projected Top 25

tfoolry
1/9/2007, 10:34 AM
http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/ajc/cfb/entries/2007/01/08/projecting_next.html

Projecting next season's Top 25
By Tony Barnhart | Monday, January 8, 2007, 06:35 PM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

With the 2006 season in the books, here's an early look at our projected Top 25 for '07:

1. Southern Cal. Dolphins officials reportedly made a trip to Costa Rica over the weekend to court Pete Carroll (right), who'd be wise to stay on campus. All-everything receiver Dwayne Jarrett will likely leave early for the NFL, but the Trojans have a ton of other talent back. So loaded is Southern Cal that John David Booty, who'll be on a lot of preseason Heisman lists, will have to stave off Mark Sanchez just to keep his starting quarterback job. All but one starter returns on defense.

2. West Virginia. With quarterback Pat White and running back Steve Slaton both set to return, the Mountaineers will be in position to run the table. WVU ought to be undefeated going into its eighth game - against Bobby Petrino-less Louisville - with a non-conference schedule of Ball State, Marshall, Mississippi State, Maryland and East Carolina.

3. Oklahoma. The Sooners will likely lose junior tailback Adrian Peterson to the NFL, but Allen Patrick showed this past fall he'll be a fine fill-in. If Oklahoma can find an adequate quarterback to replace Paul Thompson - Sam Bradford and Keith Nichol are the top contenders - it should be in the national championship mix.

4. Ohio State. The Buckeyes will sure miss Heisman winner Troy Smith, but if tailback Antonio Pittman and receiver Ted Ginn Jr. decide to stay in school, the new quarterback will have it easy. The defensive line needs work, but Nagurski Award-winning linebacker James Laurinaitis is back. And don't forget: Ohio State had to replace nine starters on defense in 2006 - and things turned out all right.

5. Florida. Chris Leak, the school's all-time leading passer, played his last game for the Gators on Monday, but sophomore replacement Tim Tebow should excel in Urban Meyer's spread offense. There's plenty of talent at receiver, headlined by Percy Harvin, and four of five starters return on the offensive line. The rebuilding will be done on defense, where safety Reggie Nelson is likely to split early for the NFL.

6. LSU. JaMarcus Russell is reportedly leaving for the NFL, but the Tigers are still stocked with quarterbacks ready to step in. Matt Flynn was the MVP of the 2005 Chick-fil-A Bowl, and Ryan Perriloux was one of the nation's top recruits two years ago. The Tigers may have a tougher time replacing star safety LaRon Landry and offensive coordinator Jimbo Fisher (left Monday for Florida State). The SEC schedule gets easier for the Tigers, with trips to Mississippi State, Kentucky, Alabama and Ole Miss.

7. Texas. Colt McCoy threw 29 touchdown passes as a freshman, and things will only get better. The 2005 national champs stumbled down the stretch this fall, but Mack Brown has recruited so well that the Longhorns should challenge Oklahoma for the Big 12 South. Strength: wide receiver (Limas Sweed, Billy Pittman, Quan Cosby). Weakness: a hole-filled secondary.

8. Michigan. Defensive tackle Alan Branch announced Monday he's leaving early for the NFL, but quarterback Chad Henne and tailback Mike Hart say they will be back. Michigan likely will start the season a little bit higher in most polls, but the Rose Bowl stinker against Southern Cal is too fresh to put them in the top five now.

9. Arkansas. The ground game is as good as it gets, with Heisman favorite Darren McFadden headed into his junior season. But the Hogs have to get better in the passing game, which struggled under Mitch Mustain and Casey Dick. Three more causes for concern: SEC sack leader Jamaal Anderson and cornerback Chris Houston are leaving for the NFL, and the schedule includes trips to LSU, Tennessee and Alabama.

10. Virginia Tech. After Sean Glennon's meltdown in the Chick-fil-A Bowl, there are questions about whether the sophomore can hang on to the starting quarterback job. The rest of the offense is in great shape, with 1,137-yard rusher Brandon Ore at tailback and one of the nation's top receiving groups. Eight starters return to the nation's No. 1 scoring defense.

batonrougesooner
1/9/2007, 10:35 AM
Math quiz...

Wishful + Thinking = ???

OSUAggie
1/9/2007, 10:44 AM
Why you gotta slight the powerful Pokes and not post the entire top 25? ;)

8timechamps
1/9/2007, 10:47 AM
Sorry, but without a QB combined with losing AD, I don't see how we can be ranked so high. Even IF AD comes back, the lack of an experienced qb should lower our preseason ranking.

I'd put us around #10, and if we end up getting Paul Thompson like play at the qb postion, then we could be a legit top 5 team.

OUmillenium
1/9/2007, 11:00 AM
Sweet, lots of guys back for us. Should be a fun year playing Miami, at Tulsa, the good home schedule again(Tex A&M, OSU). Boomer Sooner!

sooner518
1/9/2007, 11:03 AM
Stewart Mandel has us nowhere in the top 10. We don't even get a nod for the "Teams to Watch for" at the bottom.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/stewart_mandel/01/09/look.ahead/1.html

8timechamps
1/9/2007, 11:04 AM
Stewart Mandel has us nowhere in the top 10. We don't even get a nod for the "Teams to Watch for" at the bottom.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/stewart_mandel/01/09/look.ahead/1.html

But look at this guy's top 10!

C'mon, Louisville at #8?!

cjames317
1/9/2007, 11:06 AM
Where's mighty Boise State, the Kraken of the WAC?

BIG_IKE
1/9/2007, 11:10 AM
WOW....#3 is way too high. We lose alot in the defensive front.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/9/2007, 11:20 AM

Mandel has no clue. Boise loses 22 5th year seniors and their QB and they are a team to watch. We return most of our team and really only have questions at QB and DE but we aren't on the radar. Nice thinking.

I wouldn't have us at #3 but I think while QB play has to be good I think it is silly to assume that just because QB is going to be a question going into the year that it = QB play will be a train wreck.

Look how bad Troy Smith played last night and he was the Heisman Trophy winner. Bottom line, OSU couldn't protect and the Gator D-line was chasing Smith the whole game. I think the o-line we have coming back has the potential of being not just good but great. That will help whoever our QB is next year.

Jack T.
1/9/2007, 11:26 AM
http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/ajc/cfb/entries/2007/01/08/projecting_next.html

Projecting next season's Top 25
By Tony Barnhart | Monday, January 8, 2007, 06:35 PM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

With the 2006 season in the books, here's an early look at our projected Top 25 for '07:

1. Southern Cal. Dolphins officials reportedly made a trip to Costa Rica over the weekend to court Pete Carroll (right), who'd be wise to stay on campus. All-everything receiver Dwayne Jarrett will likely leave early for the NFL, but the Trojans have a ton of other talent back. So loaded is Southern Cal that John David Booty, who'll be on a lot of preseason Heisman lists, will have to stave off Mark Sanchez just to keep his starting quarterback job. All but one starter returns on defense.

Is anybody else tired of hearing about John David Booty, the USC quarterback John David Booty? John David Booty came from the South, where he, John David Booty, played High School football for somebody down there.

"John David Booty gets the snap, John David Booty takes a three step drop, John David Booty throws to somebody. Excellent pass by John David Booty. John David Booty is just an amazing quarterback. I really expect John David Booty to do great things."

ARRGHHHH!!!! I get it! His name is John David Booty! How about just calling him Booty after the first 1000 times you use his name, sorta like Smith, Thompson, or Leak.

8timechamps
1/9/2007, 11:28 AM
Is anybody else tired of hearing about John David Booty, the USC quarterback John David Booty? John David Booty came from the South, where he, John David Booty, played High School football for somebody down there.

"John David Booty gets the snap, John David Booty takes a three step drop, John David Booty throws to somebody. Excellent pass by John David Booty. John David Booty is just an amazing quarterback. I really expect John David Booty to do great things."

ARRGHHHH!!!! I get it! His name is John David Booty! How about just calling him Booty after the first 1000 times you use his name, sorta like Smith, Thompson, or Leak.

I think a better question is how SC and Flordia continue to get top QB recruits. Do none of these guys care at all about playing time?

sooneron
1/9/2007, 11:28 AM
Bottom line, OSU couldn't protect and the Gator D-line was chasing Smith the whole game. I think the o-line we have coming back has the potential of being not just good but great. That will help whoever our QB is next year.
Think ut of 05- if we get a good qb in there and he stays healthy, we could do very well.

stoopified
1/9/2007, 11:31 AM
I like it.

soonerhubs
1/9/2007, 11:31 AM
I see lots of struggles on the future "vaunted" offense Tejas is supposed to have. Uh, hello? Does everyone forget the O-line is graduating? Media folks need to do some homework.

8timechamps
1/9/2007, 11:34 AM
I see lots of struggles on the future "vaunted" offense Tejas is supposed to have. Uh, hello? Does everyone forget the O-line is graduating? Media folks need to do some homework.

But, it's Texas. They are always at the top. They could field a team of dwarfs and still be ranked in the top 5.

JohnnyMack
1/9/2007, 11:34 AM
Our schedule is softer next year. Thug U in Norman is our toughest non-con game. Saxet will be down a little talent wise from this year. We get The Cult and Aggie Lite in Norman. Our toughest road games next year are at CU and at Sand Aggie.

Our O-line returns almost intact. Our WR's and TE's are all back. We have depth at RB. Our Secondary will be ok, our LB's will be talented but thin. We should increase depth at DT but will be thin at DE. Then there's the QB position. I think if we can get someone under center who can MANAGE our system and not make mistakes we win 10+. I think if we can develop a D Line during the season that we could win 12+.

sooneron
1/9/2007, 11:37 AM
I'd put us around 10-12 until I see production at qb in the spring game.

BIG_IKE
1/9/2007, 11:40 AM
Someone tell me how Saxet will be down in talent this year? Is there a bad recruiting class we dont kow about or something?

They still have a ton of starters from the NC game. Try all the offensive threats besides Vince. You guys make it sound like 3 Pop Warner guys are gonna plug those 3 O-line slots. anyone who thinks they, Texas as a team, will be weaker next year is silly. I expect them and A&M to be real tough. They were young just like us this year.

Fugue
1/9/2007, 11:48 AM
ut has an a-hole filled secondary. :texan:

BIG_IKE
1/9/2007, 11:51 AM
They had one this year too didnt they?

BIG_IKE
1/9/2007, 11:52 AM
in fact..they had a new QB, new tight end, terrible pass defense....and surprisingly they beat us....with that same pass defense?

JohnnyMack
1/9/2007, 11:57 AM
Someone tell me how Saxet will be down in talent this year? Is there a bad recruiting class we dont kow about or something?

They still have a ton of starters from the NC game. Try all the offensive threats besides Vince. You guys make it sound like 3 Pop Warner guys are gonna plug those 3 O-line slots. anyone who thinks they, Texas as a team, will be weaker next year is silly. I expect them and A&M to be real tough. They were young just like us this year.

I just don't think that you can lose the depth they're going to lose on the O Line, D Line (especially if Okam leaves early) and the Secondary and just automatically expect they're going to be a top 5 team because they're Saxet is ridiculous.

They may have talent, but the lack of experience will hurt them.

BIG_IKE
1/9/2007, 12:05 PM
I just don't think that you can lose the depth they're going to lose on the O Line, D Line (especially if Okam leaves early) and the Secondary and just automatically expect they're going to be a top 5 team because they're Saxet is ridiculous.

They may have talent, but the lack of experience will hurt them.

I agree with you, but over the years (this decad at least) everytime they lose someone we think is irreplaceable....someone comes along and fills in fine.

they lost the Thorpe award winner last year...only to have Aaron Ross step in and start for the first time, and win the same award.

Cedric Benson left and Jamal charles stepped in

Quan Cosby made an immediate impact
Jordan Shipley made an immediate impact
Dave Thomas left and Jermichael Finley came in, and I think he will leave an All-american.
Colt came in and set records.

All I am saying is the guys they have waiting are no slouches so I am not gonna get TOO comfortable in assuming they will be sorry.

TMcGee86
1/9/2007, 12:31 PM

Dude! Do you not realize that they are losing Kasey Studdard?!?

Kasey freaking Studdard!

It will take years to replace talent like that.

YEARS I TELL YOU!

deweydw
1/9/2007, 12:47 PM

6. LSU. JaMarcus Russell is reportedly leaving for the NFL, but the Tigers are still stocked with quarterbacks ready to step in. Matt Flynn was the MVP of the 2005 Chick-fil-A Bowl, and Ryan Perriloux was one of the nation's top recruits two years ago. The Tigers may have a tougher time replacing star safety LaRon Landry and offensive coordinator Jimbo Fisher (left Monday for Florida State). The SEC schedule gets easier for the Tigers, with trips to Mississippi State, Kentucky, Alabama and Ole Miss.

An LSU alumni told me this morning that Perriloux was caught with a counterfeit $20 bill. So, it may look like Flynn is a lock. LSU players make money. They do, make the money....

soonermeteor
1/9/2007, 12:48 PM

Mandel is a tool. If you look in his archives he wrongly predicts nearly every game, such as "Why Michigan will beat Ohio State".

Also, I dont think the whole "losing AD" will hurt us too much. 7-0 without him people. Say what you want, but we have an amazing team even without him.

85sooners
1/9/2007, 03:03 PM
:pop:

mojohornfan
1/9/2007, 05:09 PM
Dude! Do you not realize that they are losing Kasey Studdard?!?

Kasey freaking Studdard!

It will take years to replace talent like that.

YEARS I TELL YOU!

The problem isn't whose leaving...it's who's staying that is the problem and that name is Greg Davis. If he can ever get an idea of how to best utilize our talent, then lookout. But I don't see it.:mad:

I'm anxious to see how our new DC will work out though.

After the way the Sooners held it together this year with all the crap that happened, I will never underestimate the power of Bobby ever again.

OSUAggie
1/9/2007, 05:15 PM
The problem isn't whose leaving...it's who's staying that is the problem and that name is Greg Davis. If he can ever get an idea of how to best utilize our talent, then lookout. But I don't see it.:mad:

56, 7, 52, 37, 56, 28, 63, 22, 35, 36, 42, 7, 26 avg. 36

Not bad with a frosh QB... D was the problem this year.

Seems like you had a relatively decent O in 2005, as well.

Foty
1/9/2007, 05:29 PM
http://nationalchamps.net/2007/earlybird/index.htm

They have us pretty high too. This was also on usatoday.com

Sco
1/9/2007, 07:17 PM

Because the word "Booty" is funny. Almost, but not quite, as funny as "Weinke." Heh. I still chuckle.

OSUAggie
1/9/2007, 07:25 PM
Musberger just calls him John David, if that helps.

Stitch Face
1/9/2007, 07:40 PM
Kinda strange to be ranked #3 with the loss of AD on one side and Rufus on the other, a maturing but still-young line, and absolutely no known quarterback.

utex74
1/9/2007, 07:51 PM
in fact..they had a new QB, new tight end, terrible pass defense....and surprisingly they beat us....with that same pass defense?

The actual problem with the secondary was they had to play the run first to cover for really bad play at linebacker. That left them biting on play action, option passes, etc. What we will need is much better output from the linebackers. Hopefully MacDuff can address that. The front seven have to be able to stop the run without relying on the secondary or the defense could get ugly again.

shavedmarmoset
1/9/2007, 07:57 PM
WOW....#3 is way too high. We lose alot in the defensive front.

Our front will be fine. Alonzo Dotson played exceptionally well this year and with John Williams at the other end, we will be set. J-Dub had that ACL tear last year so you didn't see him so much this year, but he is as good as they come.