PDA

View Full Version : New OU announcer

dougsooner
1/9/2007, 09:41 AM
I don't know what BBB Sr.'s plans are but if he does ever decide to quit (because I guess Joe C. will never replace him....) who would you like to see get the job? My vote would be Bob Carpenter (sp?) He's a local guy who is great on the radio. I would love to see him get this job.

8timechamps
1/9/2007, 09:44 AM
Merv

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/9/2007, 10:14 AM
Merv with Keith Jackson.

fadada1
1/9/2007, 10:18 AM
my girlfriend's dog. better speaking voice than BBS.

picasso
1/9/2007, 10:21 AM
I don't know what BBB Sr.'s plans are but if he does ever decide to quit (because I guess Joe C. will never replace him....) who would you like to see get the job? My vote would be Bob Carpenter (sp?) He's a local guy who is great on the radio. I would love to see him get this job.
Carpetnter has done some fill in work for BBS in basketball this year.
I'm guessing he'd be the next choice.

starrca23
1/9/2007, 10:26 AM
I wonder if Carpenter and Jackson would make a good combo? Although I don't know if KJ would leave Arkansas.

jk the sooner fan
1/9/2007, 10:37 AM
john brooks anybody?

batonrougesooner
1/9/2007, 10:39 AM
I vote for either Mr. "Pistols firing" or BBJ.

Just kidding.

I'd love some John Brooks.

Jimminy Christmas, not going to happen.

OSUAggie
1/9/2007, 10:43 AM

It sounded to me like Carpenter was terribly non-descriptive on the radio when I heard him in Maui. Perhaps he's better in football.

picasso
1/9/2007, 10:56 AM
no to John Brooks.

he was good and not a homer but let's get someone that doesn't sound like a high school science teacher.

stoopified
1/9/2007, 11:04 AM
My wife says Dean Blevins(she thinks he is just so cute).Personally I would bring Spencer Tillman home to call the games.How about Barry?

TheHumanAlphabet
1/9/2007, 11:05 AM
How does Keith do on UA PBP? I wonder if he would leave while his son is playing at UA?

sooner518
1/9/2007, 11:05 AM
I dont think BBS will ever quit and I am convinced that he can't die. I'd say we're stuck with him

TheHumanAlphabet
1/9/2007, 11:06 AM
My wife says Dean Blevins(she thinks he is just so cute).Personally I would bring Spencer Tillman home to call the games.How about Barry?

Sorry Stupified, your wife is misinformed...;) Blevins is an idiot.

Tillman would probably be beyond any radio network's salary scale.

Barry and Merv, that would be interesting...

batonrougesooner
1/9/2007, 11:07 AM
Dean Blevins is tounge tied. Did you ever watch him on the ABC telecasts? How about the "Wonderful Oklahoma Sports Blitz"?

Spencer Tillman would do a good job.

However, I don't want someone too polished. I would like someone alittle more rough around the edges but who could also tell me what is actually going on with the game.

Boomer.....
1/9/2007, 11:08 AM
I still think that Jim Ross would do a great job. He knows his stuff.

LittleWingSooner
1/9/2007, 11:13 AM
I would like it to be Barry Switzer and Merv Johnson but I don't think either could do play by play.

picasso
1/9/2007, 11:16 AM
Keith Jackson would not be good. Tillman is well spoken but he might try to embellish a bit much or make it sound like he's written a manifesto.

how about Bob Uecker?

LittleWingSooner
1/9/2007, 11:17 AM
I bet we end up getting some guy that is unknown to us.

SoonerStormchaser
1/9/2007, 11:18 AM
Mark Rogers?

Widescreen
1/9/2007, 11:18 AM
Tillman doing play-by-play as Rodney Dangerfield would be sweet.

sooneron
1/9/2007, 11:19 AM
Is Vin Scully still alive?

picasso
1/9/2007, 11:23 AM
how about HBO's Larry Merchant? he played for Bud and he could give interviews on the field as the last seconds unwind.

ousoonerfan
1/9/2007, 11:23 AM
how about Bob Uecker?

Harry Doyle: That's all we got, one goddamn hit?
Assistant: You can't say goddamn on the air.
Harry Doyle: Don't worry, nobody is listening anyway.

picasso
1/9/2007, 11:24 AM
Harry Doyle: That's all we got, one goddamn first down?
Assistant: You can't say goddamn on the air.
Harry Doyle: Don't worry, nobody is listening anyway.

"Vaseline ball by Paul Thompson..."

BlondeSoonerGirl
1/9/2007, 11:26 AM
I would like it to be Barry Switzer and Merv Johnson but I don't think either could do play by play.

'...you see that sumbitch throw that block, Merv?...'

LittleWingSooner
1/9/2007, 11:28 AM
'...you see that sumbitch throw that block, Merv?...'

It would be entertaining radio, I'm just not sure if you ever know what happens.

bigheadtodd
1/9/2007, 11:31 AM
No offense to Merv, but he is pretty boring on the radio....

sooneron
1/9/2007, 11:31 AM
It would be entertaining radio, I'm just not sure if you ever know what happens.
Like we know what's happening now?

mfosterftw
1/9/2007, 11:32 AM
Any of these "prospective candidates" have a Homer Call award? I think BBS and Merv have been in the hunt before, but have they won?

GrapevineSooner?

Marc - Homer Bowl Finalist 2006... and no, I did not record myself during the Oregon game, should have though... I said "COME ON!!!!" enough times...

Partial Qualifier
1/9/2007, 11:32 AM
Mark Rogers?

That guy's more of an idiot than Dean. But to be fair, i guess he could be a good PBP guy..

Jason White's Third Knee
1/9/2007, 11:38 AM
Mark Followill would be my choice. He is great.

picasso
1/9/2007, 11:46 AM
his delivery may be, but he's very informative and always pessimistic. just like a coach.:D

picasso
1/9/2007, 11:48 AM
http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/2010/wifeharry20caray5ri7wc.jpg
"Scccthooonerss win, Scckchttteeewnners win."

LittleWingSooner
1/9/2007, 11:52 AM

I don't disagree but he basically knows the game more then we do and he's not gonna just say OU's doing great when we aren't. This year with the playcalling being stale at times was a great example. He would sometimes say that we need to get more aggressive and start passing the ball.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/9/2007, 12:01 PM
http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/2010/wifeharry20caray5ri7wc.jpg
"Scccthooonerss win, Scckchttteeewnners win."

The Chicago Bears is my favorite college team, always has been....

tru2ou
1/9/2007, 12:14 PM
My choices for PBP...in order of preference.

1. Mike Kelly (University of Missouri PBP guy). The guy is as solid as they come and he is young enough to be here for a long time.
2. Chuck Cooperstein (not sure if he would take it now)
3. John Brooks (not sure the administration would support it)

I dont care who does color as long as it isnt Merv. The guy has inside knowledge of the program but has no style for delivery of the information. I dont think KJ would come back right now because his son plays for Arkansas.

To be honest, I wouldnt mind someone like Tony Casillas or Nate Hybl give color commentating a shot. Tillman would be a good choice too but I dont think their is enough money in the pool.

- TRU

tru2ou
1/9/2007, 12:20 PM
Double Post...sorry

- TRU

picasso
1/9/2007, 12:23 PM
My choices for PBP...in order of preference.

1. Mike Kelly (University of Missouri PBP guy). The guy is as solid as they come and he is young enough to be here for a long time.
2. Chuck Cooperstein (not sure if he would take it now)
3. John Brooks (not sure the administration would support it)

I dont care who does color as long as it isnt Merv. The guy has inside knowledge of the program but has no style for delivery of the information. I dont think KJ would come back right now because his son plays for Arkansas.

To be honest, I wouldnt mind someone like Tony Casillas or Nate Hybl give color commentating a shot. Tillman would be a good choice too but I dont think their is enough money in the pool.

- TRU

Hybl wouldn't be bad.

BlondeSoonerGirl
1/9/2007, 12:24 PM
Hybl wouldn't be bad.

Neither would Trent Smith. He cracks me up...

deweydw
1/9/2007, 01:04 PM
How about Brent Musbooger. SUCCS SUCCS I can't stand it when he calls a game. "He's up the middle. Touchdown!!! Oh, caught at the 15 yard line"

fwsooner22
1/9/2007, 01:32 PM
It doesn't matter Bob Sr. has pictures or info on everyone in the Athletic Department. He must because he is horrible.

The Ticket in Dallas played clips from the broadcast the last three weeks of the season during their plays of the week segment. Lets just say they weren't praising them. Lots of laughs though.

The announcing team is the most embarrasing thing there has ever been with this program including Boo.

I love Merv but his brain isn't quick enough anymore and Bob should have never had this job. Its that simple.

Please, Please let these two move on.....Its sad

BoomerJack
1/9/2007, 01:50 PM
If I were Joe C. I'd hire John Brooks back.

jk the sooner fan
1/9/2007, 01:52 PM
eric nadel, the Rangers radio guy would be GREAT....great voice, one of the most underrated baseball pbp guys on radio

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/9/2007, 02:50 PM
"To the 30, 25,20,15,10,5.....You're with me leather. Touchdown Oklahoma!"

fwsooner22
1/9/2007, 03:23 PM
eric nadel, the Rangers radio guy would be GREAT....great voice, one of the most underrated baseball pbp guys on radio

Almost sure he would not do it but he is one of the best you are right on that

C&CDean
1/9/2007, 03:29 PM
Stacey Dales.

jk the sooner fan
1/9/2007, 03:29 PM
yeah i doubt he'd go for it either

Larry&Leisa
1/9/2007, 03:55 PM
Stacey Dales.

nope need her on TV :)

fwsooner22
1/9/2007, 04:23 PM
nope need her on TV :)

We need her a lot of places........:twinkies: :D

LittleWingSooner
1/9/2007, 04:57 PM
If I were Joe C. I'd hire John Brooks back.

Won't happen, the guy is a jerk, and if you listened to his games they've done in the Tulsa area this year he was a terrible play by play guy.

fwsooner22
1/9/2007, 05:05 PM
Won't happen, the guy is a jerk, and if you listened to his games they've done in the Tulsa area this year he was a terrible play by play guy.

He had a postgame show for a short while about 10 years ago or maybe he was just sitting in for someone else. He spent most of the time name calling the callers who were for the most part intoxicated. He seemed surprised by all the negativitiy when OU lost.

BlondeSoonerGirl
1/9/2007, 05:15 PM
Bri
dolemite on color
VK and BSG sideline reporters
I'll shoot the horsepig

:les: I'M GONNA NEED A BIGGER MIC!

bri
1/9/2007, 05:41 PM
I still think that Jim Ross would do a great job. He knows his stuff.

I second this emotion.

You know, unless they offer the gig to me and dolemite. :D