PDA

View Full Version : 5 Thoughts on the College Football Season

SoonerStormchaser
1/9/2007, 12:15 AM
1. First off...BWA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!! 41-14! Thank you God! That was the most beautiful thing I've ever seen with the exception of the soon to be Mrs. SoonerStormchaser. Personally, I think this is a more embarassing loss than a national title game I can't seem to remember that happened two years ago. Cause, unlike that game (and the title game before that), the entire game can be pinned on one factor- the complete meltdown of the Heisman winner. Everyone and their brother on ESPN, FSN, Fox, ABC, etc was licking Ohio State's Bucknuts almost as bad as they were Florida State's in 2001. This is why they play the game ladies and gentlemen.

2. That game last week was by far the most heartbreaking loss I've ever had as a Sooner fan. Most embarassing? Nope, that was the unmentionable game in 2005...we had nothing to be embarassed about in losing this game (see my notes on bowl predictions, I told y'all Boise State was a decent team). Most infuriating? Nope, that goes to the robbery in Eugene last September. In spite of the fact we lost, I think it was definitely in the top 5 of the all time greatest games ever. The perfection that the Smurfs ran those trick plays absolutely was spectacular to watch, even for the opposing fan.

3. The Big XII sucks! The three bowl games we DIDN'T lose, all were decided by three points or less...or in overtime...and ALL of them were against 6-6 teams! I think next year is gonna be a huge year for the conference.

4. Notre Dame, thank you for proving my point that YOU ARE FRAUDS! You will continue to be frauds even after that fat tub of lard walking down your sidelines collapses with a heart attack after binging on Krispy Kremes with Phil Fulmer, Fridgen and Mangino. Your so-called "tradition" left with Lou Holtz.

5. I suck at bowl predicting! Good thing I gave up on sports betting in Vegas over a year ago!

IS IT AUGUST YET?!?!?! BOOMER SOONER!!!

85sooners
1/9/2007, 12:18 AM
:cool:

Bruiser53
1/9/2007, 12:44 AM
I agree with everything. Big Tenleven needs to look into a conference championship game or something becaue Michigan and Ohio St both looked like crap, and I think a lot had to do with the layoff.

AllAboutThe'O'
1/9/2007, 12:53 AM
I agree with everything. Big Tenleven needs to look into a conference championship game or something becaue Michigan and Ohio St both looked like crap, and I think a lot had to do with the layoff.
Or if Notre Dame, Syracuse, Pitt or somebody else had decided to join the Big 10, there would have definitely been a conference title game.

Collier11
1/9/2007, 12:56 AM
This is why we need a playoff, Florida almost didnt get the chance and as much as some people dont like it cus it "devalues the regular season"<<<<<BS!!!! It should be the best overall team at the end of the year who is natl champ, not the one who happened to go undefeated in a overrated conf.

MissouriSooner
1/9/2007, 01:29 AM
This is why we need a playoff, Florida almost didnt get the chance and as much as some people dont like it cus it "devalues the regular season"<<<<<BS!!!! It should be the best overall team at the end of the year who is natl champ, not the one who happened to go undefeated in a overrated conf.
Agreed. A playoff system is long overdue. The BCS system is at best a hit and miss proposition. I see where there won't be a playoff system - if ever - until after 2010. So, at least three more years of the same old crap, coaches shamelessly lobbying to be the one-loss team that's chosen for the NC game. At least Michigan didn't get picked, but I would have liked to have seen one more game between Florida and LSU.

westcoast_sooner
1/9/2007, 01:43 AM
Some amazing things happened this season.
1. The UF/tOSU game was as big a meltdown as any in the BCS Championship game.
2. Everyone recognizes the screw-job we got in Eugene.
3. Of the 5 BCS bowl game, OU was in the best - we ended up on the short end of the stick, but still the game that was the most exciting, and people will be talking about for a long long time.
4. We won the Big XII, despite having a "WR for a QB".
5. More fuel for the "we need a playoff" argument.

Sooner in Tampa
1/9/2007, 06:27 AM
I think this year as a whole had a "playoff". Michigan played tOSU and lost, SUC lost to UCLA (they would have played tOSU) Florida beat Auburn and then Arkansas to earn their spot. Wisconsin had their shot against Michigan and lost and LSU lost twice. If we had a playoff, BSU would NOT have beaten a team like Florida or SUC. I think the BCS got it right this year.

GEN4AU
1/9/2007, 07:27 AM
I think this year as a whole had a "playoff". Michigan played tOSU and lost, SUC lost to UCLA (they would have played tOSU) Florida beat Auburn to earn their spot. Wisconsin had their shot against Michigan and lost and LSU lost twice. If we had a playoff, BSU would NOT have beaten a team like Florida or SUC. I think the BCS got it right this year.
Florida beat Arkansas in the SECCG to earn their spot.

SouthCarolinaSooner
1/9/2007, 07:55 AM
Your so-called "tradition" left with Lou Holtz.

Lou Holtz? Tradition? His only tradition is leaving programs with NCAA investigations. At Notre Dame and South Carolina this was the truth.

IS IT AUGUST YET?!?!?! BOOMER SOONER!!!

:pop: Nope. Time to hibernate.:hot:

arcman46
1/9/2007, 07:56 AM
I'm not a fan of either team, and feel for the Buckeyes considering we went through the same kind of loss in '05. This game does take some, not all of the sting out of that game. It all goes to show that in a one game, Bowl situation, that any team can win at any time. It also showed me that Troy Smith won the Heisman this year because of lack of competition, not because he was the "best player in College Football".

SouthCarolinaSooner
1/9/2007, 07:58 AM
I'm not a fan of either team, and feel for the Buckeyes considering we went through the same kind of loss in '05. This game does take some, not all of the sting out of that game. It all goes to show that in a one game, Bowl situation, that any team can win at any time. It also showed me that Troy Smith won the Heisman this year because of lack of competition, not because he was the "best player in College Football".
Maybe...but wasn't Southern Cal still favored to win? I mean we got completely crushed but USC was favored to win right?

jeremy885
1/9/2007, 11:05 AM
Florida beat Auburn and then Arkansas to earn their spot.

Didn't Florida's one loss come from Auburn??

Sooner in Tampa
1/9/2007, 11:21 AM
Didn't Florida's one loss come from Auburn??:O Damn...your right...Auburn blocked that punt late in the game to win that one.

Aside for specifics :O I think the BCS got it right this year.

SunDevilSooner
1/9/2007, 11:54 AM
I dont think that you can pin that loss on Troy Smith. His offensive line and receivers were so thoroughly outclassed, that it wouldn't have mattered if he had played a great game, they still would heve been crushed. UF were so much faster than the Suckeyes...they looked like they were playing a HS team...

Collier11
1/9/2007, 12:00 PM
I think this year as a whole had a "playoff". Michigan played tOSU and lost, SUC lost to UCLA (they would have played tOSU) Florida beat Auburn and then Arkansas to earn their spot. Wisconsin had their shot against Michigan and lost and LSU lost twice. If we had a playoff, BSU would NOT have beaten a team like Florida or SUC. I think the BCS got it right this year.

That is not a playoff

jacru
1/9/2007, 12:03 PM
... Michigan and Ohio St both looked like crap, and I think a lot had to do with the layoff.
chant with me, "STOP THE LAYOFF... HAVE A PLAYOFF!"

PDXsooner
1/9/2007, 02:30 PM
good post.

Sooner in Tampa
1/9/2007, 03:28 PM
That is not a playoffNot a true playoff...but it is pretty damn close. It's the best you are going to get for now.

Collier11
1/9/2007, 03:48 PM
Not a true playoff...but it is pretty damn close.

NOt even close. You are being an apologist for the lack of any good reason ever being given to the players or the fans or the coaches as to why we cant have a playoff. We could have one easliy, incorporate the bowls, and make butt loads more money but the presidents dont want it for their own selfish reasons which I have no idea what they are. Ou losing to texas in october or the other way around should not determine if the losing team has not shot at the title IMO!!!

Sooner in Tampa
1/9/2007, 03:54 PM
NOt even close. You are being an apologist for the lack of any good reason ever being given to the players or the fans or the coaches as to why we cant have a playoff. We could have one easliy, incorporate the bowls, and make butt loads more money but the presidents dont want it for their own selfish reasons which I have no idea what they are. Ou losing to texas in october or the other way around should not determine if the losing team has not shot at the title IMO!!!You have your opinion...I have my mine.

Collier11
1/9/2007, 04:07 PM
We will just agree to agree that you are wrong ;)

jwlynn64
1/9/2007, 04:37 PM
Keep in mind that if the top eight teams in the BCS were taken for a playoff, BSU and OU would have been left out.

If the playoff system that you want only includes Conference Champs, which team would you have left out, USC or Cal? They were Co-Champs. Would you take both?

Also, should MTSU have been in the playoff? Didn't they win their conference?

How much would we need to remake Div. 1 college football to make a playoff viable?

jwlynn64
1/9/2007, 04:38 PM
Also, I think that Lou left Minnesota while it was under investigation also.

Collier11
1/9/2007, 04:44 PM
Keep in mind that if the top eight teams in the BCS were taken for a playoff, BSU and OU would have been left out.

If the playoff system that you want only includes Conference Champs, which team would you have left out, USC or Cal? They were Co-Champs. Would you take both?

Also, should MTSU have been in the playoff? Didn't they win their conference?

How much would we need to remake Div. 1 college football to make a playoff viable?

I just want a playoff that allows the title to be determined on the field and not by media and computers. MY IDEAL playoff would include every conf. champ(11 teams) and the next five highest ranked teams according to the BCS. I dont think its fair that more than half of the D1 teams start out every season knowing they have NO shot at the title, why allow them in D1 if you arent gonna allow them a chance to win a title.

proudsoonergal
1/9/2007, 07:20 PM
Also, I think that Lou left Minnesota while it was under investigation also.

ESPN will probably need to be investigated after Lou leaves.

Stitch Face
1/9/2007, 07:38 PM
NM, wrong thread.