PDA

View Full Version : So Whose Fault Is It That tOSU had A Bazillion Days Off Since Their Last Game?

FaninAma
1/8/2007, 11:29 PM
Could it have been the Big 10 commissioner who not only doesn't want a playoff but also stated he would never allow any Big 10 teams to play a game in December or have a Big 10 league championship game.

It looks like the Buckeyes are getting their arses handed to them by a team in a league that takes their football seriously.:cool:

mdklatt
1/8/2007, 11:33 PM
The Michigan offense was going through the Acorn Aggie defense like Taco Bell through a toddler back in November.

FaninAma
1/8/2007, 11:40 PM
Like I said in another thread, it's really scarey how close the championship game came to being a complete fraud due to the BCS if Michigan had been voted back into the title game.

tOSU=frauds.
Big 10=frauds
BCS=frauds

Kirk Herbstreit needs to step up and eat a big ol' pile of steaming crow.

TopDawg
1/8/2007, 11:53 PM
I feel bad for Wisconsin.

SoonerLB
1/9/2007, 01:42 AM
Kirk Herbstreit needs to step up and eat a big ol' pile of steaming crow.

There should be a crow banquet going on at ESPN for the next few days!

birddog
1/9/2007, 02:01 AM
el nino.

TripleOption14
1/9/2007, 06:39 AM

Don't feel bad for those ****** bags!! They can get Conf. Championship game like others. Just makes my point about CCG even more. Either EVERYONE should have them or NO ONE should have them.

Futhermore, about the layoff. Yeah, this topic really needs to be addressed. I thought that was part of our problem as well. The layoff is tooooo long and it shows in a lot of teams. If OU would have played like they did in the Big 12 title game they would have destroyed BSU!! The defense was hitting on all cylinders that night. That long layoff just adds rust and a loss of rhythm that can't be overcome in a weeks time. They need to figure out a way to have all bowl games within 3 weeks of the end of their regular season games IMO.

SunDevilSooner
1/9/2007, 11:28 AM
ESPN has a contract with the Big10...why is thier trumpeting of that overrated conference a surprise? It's all about the Benjamins...you can bet that if ESPN (not CBS) held the SEC contract, FL would have gotten a lot more Gameday love...

RedstickSooner
1/9/2007, 02:50 PM
Futhermore, about the layoff. Yeah, this topic really needs to be addressed. I thought that was part of our problem as well. The layoff is tooooo long and it shows in a lot of teams.

No.

The layoff is when coaching really shows itself.

I would have rolled on the floor with laughter if you'd suggested that there could EVER be such a thing as too long a layoff back in 2001 or 2002.

Apparently, Mike Stoops is the coach who took best advantage of our layoff time. Layoff time is whe coaches can coach up their teams -- and the fact that ours haven't been doing so hot when we have long layoffs does NOT speak poorly of the layoff. It means we've lost one of our coaching edges.

Urban Meier doesn't mind downtime -- he seems to put it to good use. Just look at his record when his teams have more than 1 week to prepare for a game, something like 23-2. Our coach used to have a record like that, but the record imploded when Mike left.

RedstickSooner
1/9/2007, 02:51 PM
ESPN has a contract with the Big10...why is thier trumpeting of that overrated conference a surprise? It's all about the Benjamins...you can bet that if ESPN (not CBS) held the SEC contract, FL would have gotten a lot more Gameday love...

Oh no.

Not the ESPN-has-a-contract conspiracy again :eek:

Luthor
1/9/2007, 04:30 PM

I don't. For leagues like the Big10 and Pac10, whether or not the 2 best teams EVER play each other on a year to year basis is pure happenstance. They don't have the nads for a CCG so I say they can all shut the hell up and stay all back of the buss.

OK2LA
1/9/2007, 04:36 PM
It's classic - espn is really coming off of their love affair with tosu -

After the MNational Championship Game - that pitted #1 & #2 - This year's Heisman winner - and on ESPN's front page headline story/picture - Take a guess . . . .

tony gwynn

I mean - really. You gotta be kidding me - Do you think that if tosu won, that page would look the same?

I don't.:rolleyes: www.espn.com

FaninAma
1/9/2007, 04:38 PM
Don't feel bad for those ****** bags!! They can get Conf. Championship game like others. Just makes my point about CCG even more. Either EVERYONE should have them or NO ONE should have them.

Futhermore, about the layoff. Yeah, this topic really needs to be addressed. I thought that was part of our problem as well. The layoff is tooooo long and it shows in a lot of teams. If OU would have played like they did in the Big 12 title game they would have destroyed BSU!! The defense was hitting on all cylinders that night. That long layoff just adds rust and a loss of rhythm that can't be overcome in a weeks time. They need to figure out a way to have all bowl games within 3 weeks of the end of their regular season games IMO.

I wonder how things would be different if college basketball or college baseball had a 4 to 5 week layoff between the end of the season and their championship tournament. The long inactive period is stupid beyond belief.

TMcGee86
1/9/2007, 05:29 PM
To me, the layoff only hurts the media darlings.

And this is a direct result of the ESPN hype machine when coupled with 18-22 year old kids who have grown up watching sportscenter.

As pros, you should expect that they dont read their own headlines and watch the sports shows, because this is a recipe for disaster.

However, when you are talking about college kids, who's faces are now on sportscenter, and they have a nearly two months off to sit around and listen to how awesome they are, and how bad they are going to stomp the other team, there isn't a coach in the world that can keep them focused for that long.

However on the flip side, the underdog gets a months worth of bulletin board material pumped into his kids on a daily basis.

This is why you see teams like Boise State and Florida come out of the gates like a rabid dog. Even the most passive team will eventually get tired of hearing about how bad they are. And after a month or two of drilling, they are primed and ready to go come gametime.

I also think a very slight portion of it goes to teams like tOSU and OU being known as the great and powerful programs and so coaches like Stoops and Tressel feel like they cant take chances they took in their second year because they have the talent now and to gimmick too much with the works would be tantamount to admitting weakness. Therefore they go out and do what they have been doing all year and when it doesnt work they do it some more.

This is just my humble opinion of course.