PDA

View Full Version : She brings it from Ardmore!!!

Sooner24
1/8/2007, 06:09 PM
By John Helsley
Staff Writer

LINCOLN, Neb. — Oklahoma needed somebody else Saturday.
With Courtney Paris and Leah Rush facing foul trouble and a feisty Nebraska squad bent on breaking up the streaking Sooners, OU needed a boost from its bench.

Kendra Moore qualified as somebody else.

And she was something else.

Moore scored a career-high 18 points — 12 in the second half — to spark a Sooner surge and rally to a 77-69 win over the Cornhuskers before 7,727 at the Devaney Center.

"That's the X-factor right there,” said Huskers guard Kiera Hardy.
The No. 8-ranked ran their Big 12 Conference winning streak to 22 games dating back to 2005. And they improved to 2-0 in league play this year, 12-1 overall.

Averaging just 1.8 points through OU's first 12 games, Moore played a season-high 25 minutes and contributed across the board, adding five rebounds, three assists and a steal to her offensive output that took full advantage of Nebraska's sagging double-and triple-teams of Paris.

"Kendra was outstanding,” said Sooners coach Sherri Coale. "What puts her in position to be ready is her mindset and her attitude. She's just ready. She's ready every day in practice. She's ready if she plays three minutes. She's ready if she plays 15. And she's ready if she needs to go as long as she did today.

"She is a scorer. She is a scoring point guard, so this was scripted for her to be successful.”

The script has hardly featured Moore in her career at OU.

A major knee injury prevented her from playing her senior year at Ardmore High. And she's never gotten fully untracked with the Sooners, with a 4.9 scoring average as a junior a year ago Moore's OU best.

Still, she stays prepared.

"Whenever coach puts me in, I'm going to play,” Moore said. "If she takes me out, I'm going to be ready when she puts me back in. I'm ready for anything.”

Against Nebraska, she provided a little of everything. Moore scored inside and out and was the key player the final 15 minutes.

Paris eventually got her points, a team-high 19, but they came amid constant attention that freed Moore to hit 7-of-13 shots. Playing the point, Moore didn't commit a turnover and also shadowed Hardy, the Huskers leading scorer, down the stretch.

"She proved she can hit jumpers,” said Hardy, who scored 18, but made just 6-of-18 field goals and finished 0-of-7 from 3-point range.

"They face double-teams all the time, if she can hit shots like that, people are going to have to rethink their strategy.”

After leading by as many as 11 early, the Sooners were slowed by foul trouble that limited Paris to nine minutes in the first half.

The Huskers made but eight field goals through the opening 20 minutes, but hit 17-of-20 free throws to take a 33-31 lead to halftime. Nebraska eventually built the lead to eight, 43-35, with 15:45 to play.

But Coale reinserted Moore, who immediately hit a 16-foot jumper to halt a Husker run. Moore's 15-footer gave OU its first lead of the second half, 47-46, and after her 3-pointer from the corner at the 10:47 mark, the Sooners never trailed again.

"It feels good to get back in the groove,” Moore said. "This is my senior year and I'm going to give it all I've got.”

http://static.newsok.biz/article/2995743/SPART-KENDRA_01-07-2007_MV23KMO.jpg

Monster Zero
1/9/2007, 01:31 PM
You go, girl.

fwsooner22
1/10/2007, 09:20 AM
Awesome

Sooner24
1/22/2007, 11:45 PM
Once again she brings it from Ardmore. Good job Kendra!!!

TopDaugIn2000
1/23/2007, 08:08 AM
yup, she had a HECK of a game. that little girl is something special. wow.

NormanPride
1/23/2007, 10:56 AM
I've always thought she was a bit frantic to be a full starter, but man it paid off bigtime last night! Go Kendra! Made me a believer.

TopDaugIn2000
1/23/2007, 10:58 AM
Sanchez played a LOT more than usual. And Thompson was just WAY too hyper out there, Sherri only left her in for about 2 minutes.

Boomer.....
1/23/2007, 10:59 AM
She played great! Without her, we lose that one.